Michael Giacchino's Star Trek

Jay

Glad we've got what we've got, but unless I've missed something, we're still left wondering what the hell that extra music in-film at the end of "Labor of Love" is from. Would it be the beginning of "Star Trek v1"?

I think "Labor Of Love" on the OST and D.E. were faded out prematurely. After all "Enterprising Young Men" was also faded out earlier on the OST.

I thought Chris Tilton posted a while back saying "Version 1" sounded identical to "The Flask At Hand" just with a few minute orchestral changes?

• 1 year later...

I know this is a large bump, but I have something to add. I was on ASCAP's search last night looking for STID cue titles and I also found the list for Star Trek on there too. Some of these are interesting as there appears to be no corresponding piece but the fact they're there seems to indicate that they were recorded.

BACK FROM BLACK
COME WITH ME CUPCAKE
DAD S ROUTE TO SCHOOL
DID I KNOW MY FATHER
L SPLIT
LOVE IN AN ELEVATOR
RED SHIRT DIARIES
TAKE OFF EH
VULCANS ARE TESTY
WARPING INTO A TRAP
YOU GOTTA BE VULCAN ME

I know this is a large bump, but I have something to add. I was on ASCAP's search last night looking for STID cue titles and I also found the list for Star Trek on there too. Some of these are interesting as there appears to be no corresponding piece but the fact they're there seems to indicate that they were recorded.

BACK FROM BLACK

COME WITH ME CUPCAKE

DAD S ROUTE TO SCHOOL

DID I KNOW MY FATHER

L SPLIT

LOVE IN AN ELEVATOR

RED SHIRT DIARIES

TAKE OFF EH

VULCANS ARE TESTY

WARPING INTO A TRAP

YOU GOTTA BE VULCAN ME

Read the main post....

• 8 months later...

Apparently they didn't play the end credits crescendo that comes from the material in "The Flask At Hand". Did they play the whole end credits suite or did they miss out the middle bit like in the film?

I think it was like in the film apart from the crescendo (after Courage's theme it was the Spock theme, Nero theme then Giacchino ST theme). I remember they managed to pull it off in Luzern...

So it was the film version without the crescendo (The missing bit in the film version comes after Spock's theme and before Nero's - it's the combination of the ostinato with an action-based version of Spock's theme)

Pretty much IIRC. Funny how Wicki clearly slowed down the moments leading up to and the final reprise of Courage's theme at the end of the credits to put the crescendo off.

I think there may be a video of the ST09 credits from last week's Luzern show on YouTube that you can double check with.

• 3 years later...
On 5/12/2009 at 7:34 AM, Woj said:

Don't call it a boot. Call it a high-necked leather foot warmer.

Maybe Paramount plans to sell an album entitled "More Music from Star Trek," featuring fifteen additional minutes of score, some dialogue tracks, special effects, and a Tiesto remix of the end credits. Oh, one can hope!

Bumped for historical significance. 

• 2 years later...

Varese has reissued the long OOP Deluxe Edition of the score, sadly with the same old program that was missing music and choir and had film edits, though it is in a normal jewel case this time

https://www.varesesarabande.com/products/star-trek-the-deluxe-edition

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Varese has reissued the long OOP Deluxe Edition of the score, sadly with the same old program that was missing music and choir and had film edits

https://www.varesesarabande.com/products/star-trek-the-deluxe-edition

But at least this time these 1500 will fit on the shelf with the others :)

Interesting that they didn't revise this at all, given the long history of gripes and the fact that they could easily sell 5000 of a "complete" version, $$$$$.  I'm usually a Giacchino fan, but don't care enough for his ST scores to buy an expansion. The OST is enough for me.

2 hours ago, mstrox said:

Interesting that they didn't revise this at all, given the long history of gripes and the fact that they could easily sell 5000 of a "complete" version, $$$$$.

It would take Varese years to sell 5,000 more copies and they know it. Look at the Into Darkness and Beyond DEs. They’re both still in print.

5 hours ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

"Giacchino's Star Trek, back by popular demand!"

Um....where?

There's been a lot of posts both on here and FSM especially FSM from people wishing they had a chance to get the first one but missed out on it.  So this is practically for those who missed out. 

I wouldn't be surprised if this is sold out under a month.

I got a little carried away, ok?

6 hours ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

"Giacchino's Star Trek, back by popular demand!"

Um....where?

Yes!! I jumped on this right away!

28 minutes ago, Trent B said:

There's been a lot of posts both on here and FSM especially FSM from people wishing they had a chance to get the first one but missed out on it.  So this is practically for those who missed out. 

I wouldn't be surprised if this is sold out under a month.

2 hours ago, Thekthithm said:

Mostly people who already bought the old release will buy this one too just to hoard it.

Sad but true. Then sell it for double if not triple the price for what it's worth after it sells out, just like last time.

4 hours ago, Thekthithm said:

Mostly people who already bought the old release will buy this one too just to hoard it.

I already have 2 copies so I’ll pass on this one. 

14 hours ago, Thekthithm said:

i just want this for the jewel case. Come to think of it, maybe I can find someone who will trade a copy of this new edition for my old one.

4 hours ago, ATXHusker said:

How was VS able to release deluxe versions of all three ST scores when they were all after the 2005 union fee issue?

The issue with Hollywood union scores recorded after 2005 isn't that they are impossible to license, it's that they are more expensive to license. Either Varese has enough capital to pony up the extra dough, or some sort of special contract was created just for these scores somehow. 

2 hours ago, Jay said:

The issue with Hollywood union scores recorded after 2005 isn't that they are impossible to license, it's that they are more expensive to license. Either Varese has enough capital to pony up the extra dough, or some sort of special contract was created just for these scores somehow. 

If I remember correctly, back when the first Trek expansions started coming out, Lukas Kendall said that Paramount were interested in expanding their entire catalogue of Trek music. It’s possible that they were the ones that initiated these expansions to fit in line with all the other films.