Michael Giacchino's Star Trek

Jay

I can't figure out how to link directly to it, so you have to go to this link: http://www.ascap.com/ace/search.cfm

Then search for "880633464" under WorkID. There are many typographical errors, they are not in order (except in bunches), and "Head To Heart Conversation", "One Proud Mother", and "End Credits" are all missing, but from what I can tell it covers everything else.

I'm still not sure what "L Split" is - its position between Narada Bing and Nara Boom makes me think its possibly the original name for "Star Trek". However, "Star Trek" appears as a cue title on that list. Since it appears after Labor Of Love, could it be the original cue title for the Main Title? Meaning both soundtrack releases mis-named the first track? Also, I could be wrong about "Hail To The Chief". But no other cue makes sense for that track, based on the D.E. placement.

Nice work. You could also add Courage's TOS theme to the themes section and mention that it appears in "Main Title (Version 2)," "Hangar Management" and "Nero Death Experience."

I can't figure out how to link directly to it, so you have to go to this link: http://www.ascap.com/ace/search.cfm

Then search for "880633464" under WorkID. There are many typographical errors, they are not in order (except in bunches), and "Head To Heart Conversation", "One Proud Mother", and "End Credits" are all missing, but from what I can tell it covers everything else.

I'm still not sure what "L Split" is - its position between Narada Bing and Nara Boom makes me think its possibly the original name for "Star Trek". However, "Star Trek" appears as a cue title on that list. Since it appears after Labor Of Love, could it be the original cue title for the Main Title? Meaning both soundtrack releases mis-named the first track? Also, I could be wrong about "Hail To The Chief". But no other cue makes sense for that track, based on the D.E. placement.

We know that the first track on the D.E. is mis-titled. Not sure why they just didn't call it "Narada Bing". I'm still thinking too that "Star Trek" from the OST was not included on this. If not, that means that the OST isn't fully obsolete.

Nice work. You could also add Courage's TOS theme to the themes section and mention that it appears in "Main Title (Version 2)," "Hangar Management" and "Nero Death Experience."

There were also some other themes speculated at earlier in this thread - see page 9 (McCoy's Theme and Kirk's Family Theme), page 10 (Finale Theme). I'll investigate those when I get the D.E. as well

L-Split...wonder if that's for the "Logo" cue that plays at the beginning before where "Narada Bing" was meant to be. This cue I'm referring to is "Star Trek" on the OST.

We know that the first track on the D.E. is mis-titled. Not sure why they just didn't call it "Narada Bing". I'm still thinking too that "Star Trek" from the OST was not included on this. If not, that means that the OST isn't fully obsolete.

And since some cues are probably going to be joined as intended (e.g. "Nailin' the Kelvin" and "Labor of Love"), the OST will also be useful for hearing the original clean openings and endings. A minor thing, but still another reason for the OST to be not quite obsolete.

Well, I still need the OST regardless. It was signed :lol:

That's one reason to keep it. :)

I wonder if I send my booklet for the D.E. of Star Trek to Mr. Giacchino with a letter if he may sign it for me.

Well, since the theme I had been calling "Spock Prime's Theme" actually first appears just after Spock beams back to the Enterprise and Vulcan implodes, I now agree with Joe that it's more of a "Vulcan Theme", and I've updated my first post to reflect that.

Yes, it's like a tragedy motif. I read somewhere that it sounds when Spock mind melds with that romulan, but I've not seen the movie in moths and I'm not sure.

It does play during that scene, as I indicated in the main post.

Great, thanks for the correction Neil!

If anybody else sees any errors (even typos, spelling) - please let me know!

As soon as my set arrives in the mail I can update the correct times for the multiple cues within single tracks.

As soon as my set arrives in the mail I can update the correct times for the multiple cues within single tracks.

I await that to make the back cover with all official cuetitles possible :eek:

Still need to figure out what L Split is too

Also, I think it's possibly I may have "Jehosafats" and "Red Shirt Diaries" flip flopped

OK the main post has been updated with the complete cue list including where to find them all on the D.E. and what is missing!

I won't get to update other areas of the post until tomorrow sometime, but I believe the cue list to be completely accurate.

Please post any corrections or thoughts!

Hello there everyone.

Chris Tilton has confirmed for me that "Star Trek" is actually the original cue name of the Star Trek logo music. I therefore think that L Split must be the name of the revised production company logos that replaced the first minute of "Narada Bing". So Varese has mis-labled that cue twice now, using the name of a different cue in the process.

Speaking of Varese mis-labeling a piece of music by using the name of a different cue, I now believe that "The Flask At Hand" on the D.E. is actually "Main Title (Version 1)" (errr... "Star Trek (Version 1)"). This means the actual "The Flask At Hand" is unreleased (but partially heard in the film!).

Additionally, I believe that the 3 cues I thought were not included on the D.E. are actually all made up of tracked music.

"Vulcans Are Testy" - the music for the transition to Kirk's Trial. Trent has figured this one out. He says "the very first note the ding was taken from "Vulcan Gets A Good Drilling", then the string was taken from the first 10 seconds of "What's With You"?"

"Did I Know My Father" - Kirk and Spock Prime discuss Kirk's father in the other reality.

"You Gotta Be Vulcan Me" - Kirk and Spock Prime approach the federation outpost.

Who can figure out these last 2?

No. There is music in the film during that scene that cannot be found on the Varese D.E. anywhere.

Also, Chris Tilton said these 2 things about it in this thread:

"The music that plays during Bones' introduction, and them flying off in the shuttle is what Michael recorded for the STAR TREK logo, which was replaced with Enterprising Young Men, as J.J. states. Though, I think the beginning of it is still the original cue he wrote, since the original opening (which in fact was the 2nd version) didn't have any of the underlying rhythmic elements, and then they just transitioned into the Star Trek logo cue."

"After watching the film last night, the first half of the Bones cue is what he originally wrote, then it segues into the latter part of the Star Trek logo cue for the second half. "

He also described the original Star Trek logo music in this thread like this:

"The very first version of the Star Trek logo actually had the main theme rhythm and then a quick loud statement of the main theme, but it wasn't as drawn out as the Enterprising Young Men version."

That sounds like a description of the Varese D.E. track "The Flask At Hand" to me.

If I might offer an answer...

I think 'You Gotta Be Vulcan Me' is the first 18 seconds of 'Does It Still McFly?', pitched down. I'm 99.9999999999% sure of it.

Furthermore, I think 'Did I Know My Father?' is taken from the opening to 'Either Way, Someone's Going Down.' This one I'm less sure about, so I'm investigating it further.

Great work Mr. Movie! Anybody care to confirm?

I'm at work and don't have the music here.

Mr. Movies is right about "Did I Know My Father?". The very opening notes though were taken from "One Proud Mother". Also "Kirk's Trial", the very first note the ding was taken from "Vulcan Gets A Good Drilling", then the string was taken from the first 10 seconds of "What's With You"? I figured it was tracked.

Edit: Also the piece where "Olsen Dies" the first part is tracked/pitched from "Welcome Back, Spock" and the second part is an alternate section (with out the choir) from "Nero Death Experience".

Yes, I posted that 5 posts before yours :)

Chris Tilton has confirmed that "The Flask At Hand" is the proper cue, not the original main titles.

John Takis has mentioned that at around 1:14 of "Nero Sighted", there is an acoustic shift not present on the OST. Can anyone confirm?

Also Foobsie on mm.com has mentioned that the ending of "Run And Shoot Offense" is different on the D.E. - its pitched down. Can anyone confirm?

John Takis has mentioned that at around 1:14 of "Nero Sighted", there is an acoustic shift not present on the OST. Can anyone confirm?

Sounds the same to me comparing the rear channel rips. In fact it's slightly edited in the film.

Also Foobsie on mm.com has mentioned that the ending of "Run And Shoot Offense" is different on the D.E. - its pitched down. Can anyone confirm?

It's the same pitch, no difference when comparing to the rear channel rips.

In both cases, I was referring to the D.E. vs the OST, not anything to do with the film itself.

Not at all. Its a nice release containing one version of every cue in the film.

Its jut a shame that whenever possible, they seem to have chosen an inferior version. Still, its nice to have the music.

This really isn't the case of another Phantom Menace Ultimate Edition. The music isn't hacked up like in the film...it contains a lot of unused music. All though the packaging is another Phantom Menace Ultimate Edition, it's horrid.

Also I lined up "Jehosafats" to where it would start in the film at the end of "Matter? I Barely Know Her!" and it syncs up perfectly. The music from 2:08 to the end of "Jehosafats" would in fact score when Olsen is falling fast at the platform and doesn't pull his chute until late then ultimately dies. The last note would end exactly as it does in the film.

I think the Narada has a motive, now. It's that eerie four-note motive from "Narada Bing." In film, it only shows up once when Pike, Kirk, Sulu, and Olsen depart in the shuttle and approach the Narada, but I'm now discovering that it is reused several times in conjunction with characters/ships confronting the Narada.

It's funny you mention the Narada having a theme.... because I was just about to modify my analysis and rename what I had called "Nero's Secondary Theme" to "The Narada Theme" :P It's only used 3 times in the score - twice during Narada Boom and once during Nero Sighted... but the first two times it plays is before we've ever even seen Nero, so I thought "The Narada Theme" was more appropriate.

Can you give specific track times for your 4-note Narada theme?

In other news, I noticed that "Hack To The Future" features Nero's Theme on distorted erhu as well. So that means that the erhu is actually first introduced for Nero before being later used for Spock.

Yeah, that was a very cool moment.

Times:

"Star Trek/Narada Bing": 1:07-1:22

"Jehosafats": 0:24-0:42, with a variation that extends to 0:47; 0:57-1:10; 1:56-2:02

There may be more later in the score, but I haven't gotten that far (and I'm half trying to wait--it could be here today for all I know!). On comparing these tracks to the film, I'm now starting to think it's more of a Space Suspense theme, or something of that nature. BTW, the original scoring for the space jump sequence is awesome! It feels so much more classy/classic, and I don't mind that at all.

I've just realized that there's a repeated melody when McCoy sneaks Kirk into the shuttle in Hangar Management and when Kirk talks to Sulu in Trekking Down The Narada. But it doesn't seem leitmotivic.

Times:

"Jehosafats": 0:24-0:42, with a variation that extends to 0:47; 0:57-1:10; 1:56-2:02

Oh right, that theme! Like kind of like a Suspense Theme I guess

Times:

Oh right, that theme! Like kind of like a Suspense Theme I guess

Listening to that I actually thought it was kind of an "off key" homage to the opening of Courages Star Trek theme.

I can be slow sometimes. I just got today that "Dad's Route To School" is a reference to the whole "when I was your age, I had to trudge through 8 miles of snow to get to school" thing :cool:

OK so I've been comparing the film to the D.E. tonight.

I agree that a short insert was written for "Narada Boom", covering the goodbye scene between Robau and Kirk. I've noted it in the main post.

I then synced up "Matter? I Barely Know Her!" with the film. Syncs PERFECTLY - you should check it out!

Then, I synced "Jehosafats" - which also fits PERFECTLY. You have to start it IMMEDIATELY after "Matter?...", so as soon as that shot of them entering the shuttle starts (when the B theme is playing in the film). I now think that the "Jehosafats" track is made up one just ONE cue. I think that "Red Shirt Diaries" is the name of the rescored opening of the cue with the B Theme. Now, I'm not ENTIRELY convinced its a rewritten cue and not just tracked music (Remember, we know that "Vulcans Are Testy", "Did I Know My Father?", and "You Gotta Be Vulcan Me" ended up being cues that had titles taken out, but were just tracked music). Anyone want to listen closer and figure out if its truly original or if its tracked?

Chutes And Matter, FYI, also syncs almost perfectly to the D.E. track. The whole end of the cue for Nero firing the red matter was dialed out in the film. Now speaking of this cue, I tried finding what Joe referred to as "* the main theme near the end of "Chutes and Matter"" that is supposedly unreleased - couldn't find it. Perhaps you could be more specific Joe?

You guys are also right about "I've Fallen And I Can't Beam Up" - on the D.E., only strings are heard from 0:06-0:23, but more instruments are heard in the film. Hmm. Not sure how to note that in the main post yet.

I also added a few more themes to the themes list, and added timestamps for all the themes now except the main theme and Spock's Theme - I'm tired and going to bed!

It's a little hard for me to get to the exact track time right now, but it's a variation on the main theme. You won't hear the melody itself, but it's the same chords, with the violins doing sets of three ascending notes (triplets). It's very close to the end - as I recall, it comes in after the Romulans have been taken care of, but before that final buildup at the end of the cue.

Ya the main theme at the end of "Chutes and Matter" is when Kirk and Sulu are firing on the drill platform with the Romulans' distruptors.

I synced "Jehosafats" - which also fits PERFECTLY. You have to start it IMMEDIATELY after "Matter?...",

I believe I all ready pointed this out. :cool:

The last note of "Jehosafats" would end when Olsen slams into the drill platform, before he gets sucked under the beam and dies. You're probably right though "Red Shirt Diaries" is the last part of the cue rescored.

Jay,

You asked me on gmail chat when I got my D.E. set if the swell before "Nero Sighted" was included....well just figured out where it was taken from and it was taken from "Jehosafats".

Hey you're right... the orchestra/choir swell from the End Credits (5:40-5:45) that was tracked in the film to appear right before "Nero Sighted", sounds extremely similar to the one in Jehosafats (2:04-2:08).