Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan

Hitch

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MV has all ready stated on FSM that in the future single expanded editions of the Star Trek scores maybe possible for now though they're not, as they would have to deal with multiple labels who own the rights for each score.

MV has all ready stated on FSM that in the future single expanded editions of the Star Trek scores maybe possible for now though they're not, as they would have to deal with multiple labels who own the rights for each score.

Oh FIDDLESTICKS !!! ;):( ^_^

No uncoded messages on an open channel.

That's a part of the movie that NEVER made any sense to me, even way back when I saw it for the first time at five years old. If Khan heard them make the false statements about the time it would take to repair Enterprise, why did he not also hear Spock's "hours would seem like days" statement and put two and two together? It was pretty damn obvious what he meant.

Not if you don't expect it. He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking.

I don't buy it. You'd have to be a moron not to realize what they were talking about. Spock made sure he accentuated "by the book, Admiral". I'm quite sure Khan would have looked at Mr. Joachim and been like, "They think they can pull the wool over my eyes. Those Denebian slime devils have another thing coming!"

Not if you don't expect it. He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking.

I don't buy it. You'd have to be a moron not to realize what they were talking about. Spock made sure he accentuated "by the book, Admiral". I'm quite sure Khan would have looked at Mr. Joachim and been like, "They think they can pull the wool over my eyes. Those Denebian slime devils have another thing coming!"

Seems Khan wasn't so bright afterall.

You've managed to kill just about everyone else, but like a poor marksmen you keep M I S S I N G the target!

But how long do the record companies retain the rights? The Star Wars expanded scores came out in '98 on RCA and it was less than ten years later that Sony issued their versions of the expanded scores.

I would recommend two box sets-- one for the original crew (I-VI) and one for TNG (VII-X).

2011 would be a good target for the release of the two sets. If the rights are for twenty years, then Paramount would only have to negotiate (for the Original Crew set) with MCA (VI was released in Dec of '91) and Sony (expanded TMP in '99), a sister company of Paramount. For the TNG set, Paramount would have to negotiate with GNP Crescendo and Varese. I see the Varese negotiations being quick, "So, Varese, which of of other films would you like to do an expanded release of in trade for the rights to Nemesis?"

It could happen, but I ain't holding my breath. I'll take individual expanded scores in a heartbeat.

But how long do the record companies retain the rights?

That's a question I can't answer. I guess when ever they decide to give up the rights, but since they aren't we won't be getting expanded scores any time soon. Despite the fact all but Star Trek The Motion Picture (Anniversary set) and Star Trek Nemesis are out of print.

But how long do the record companies retain the rights?

That's a question I can't answer. I guess when ever they decide to give up the rights, but since they aren't we won't be getting expanded scores any time soon. Despite the fact all but Star Trek The Motion Picture (Anniversary set) and Star Trek Nemesis are out of print.

I understood it as this only being a difficult for a boxed set; any one score wouldn't necessarily be a particular challenge with Paramount's compliance.

Actually the same problems would arise with individual releases as well.

You still have the original album rights as well as any unreleased music, should you wish or be able to include it.

Paramount owns all rights for the music. The different labels have licensed the right to release the scores. As lay people, we don't know how long each of the licenses last. I did not mean to imply that anyone on this board would know the details of the individual contracts.

Curious note: when TWOK was released on LP and cassette, it was on Atlantic, while the CD was issued by GNP/Crescendo. TSFS had a similar case, one company originally released the score on LP and cassette with GNP/Crescendo following with the CD years later. Perhaps if the scores were going to be issued on a new format?

I would recommend two box sets-- one for the original crew (I-VI) and one for TNG (VII-X).

I strongly disagree. They're all Star Trek scores. If that's the only way it can happen, because of rights issues, that's fine. I'm sick of people trying to divide the two generations (no pun intended). What's the point?

Though I'd love individual releases.

As stated before by me when I read what MV wrote on FSM, he highly doubts box sets will happen, individual releases perhaps in the future but don't count on box sets.

You people have got to quit wanting box sets for the Star Trek scores, they won't happen.

While doing a box set might work out cheaper per disc in the long run I can imagine the logistics of sorting thru the red tape might offset that.

And who knows, perhaps Paramount might see more positives in releasing the music as a normal in-store main release instead of going the limited route.

I know everyone is excited about Paramount but remember everything can't be released at once. It takes time and effort to do these releases.

I strongly disagree. They're all Star Trek scores. If that's the only way it can happen, because of rights issues, that's fine. I'm sick of people trying to divide the two generations (no pun intended). What's the point?

Though I'd love individual releases.

I was thinking of two sets due to how much music there is. Eight CD's for I - VI and six to eight more for VII - X. How many people would want (or have the money) to buy a single 14-16 disc box set? I thought two box sets released about six months to a year apart would sell better. Original crew and TNG make for an easy dividing line.

Quick sketch of contents: TMP on two discs, II - VI one disc each, with a "stuff we couldn't fit on the other discs" disc to round out the first set. Judging by some of the items on the 'net, I'd guessing that there is enough material from each of the TNG movies for two discs each.

I do not hold out much hope for a boxed set (or sets), but I would love to see what FSM would do with it.

As for releasing them separately: bring them on. But don't expect IV, VI ,and VII to sell anywhere as well as the Goldsmith and Horner titles.

If nothing else, the release of Airplane will give us something other than "I hope it's Back to the Future" postings when a label announces that it'll be releasing a long sought after 80's title.

You're right that Star Trek's II through VI would fit onto a single disc. Star Trek The Motion Picture would be 2-discs (with all the alternates and such). Star Trek Generations might be able to fit onto one disc, even if there are alternates, however Star Trek's First Contact through Nemesis would clearly be two discs.

I still think that separate releases would be more feesable in the near future and hopefully LaLa Land will be able to release such things in the future, given the cooperation between the other label companies and Paramount.

Star Trek: TMP has a total of 120 Minutes of score in the movie, with another 20 minutes for 6 alternate cues.

There were a number of different takes of various cues, which would be interesting to hear, but would not be necessary for a "Complete Score" release.

Basically, the score heard in the movie, with the addition of extra material, could relatively easily fit on 2 CDs without having multiple takes of the cues in the movie.

Star Trek: TMP has a total of 120 Minutes of score in the movie, with another 20 minutes for 6 alternate cues.

There were a number of different takes of various cues, which would be interesting to hear, but would not be necessary for a "Complete Score" release.

Basically, the score heard in the movie, with the addition of extra material, could relatively easily fit on 2 CDs without having multiple takes of the cues in the movie.

If it was most other scores, I'd agree, but for me, TMP deserves to have every little bit they can find from the archives released. Hell, I'd happily see them sacrifice a reissue of TVH for more TMP.

Then that would defeat the purpose of the wishful thinking for a complete Star Trek anthology, to sacrifice a lesser score for the sake of a greater one. In this case, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or even the [star Trek] One.

At any rate, the fact that a three disc version exists means I really don't care what Paramount officially does with releasing this score at all. Or First Contact, Insurrection or Nemesis for that matter.

Then that would defeat the purpose of the wishful thinking for a complete Star Trek anthology, to sacrifice a lesser score for the sake of a greater one. In this case, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or even the [star Trek] One

I don't really want an anthology. All I really want is TMP, TWOK and V expanded/complete. Better still, do it digitally so I can just buy the Enterprise self-destruct music from TSFS.

And all I want (read: need) expanded or complete is TWOK, TSFS, and V. Maybe VI, too. Star Trek XI would be nice, but it's way too soon. The DVD will be along shortly.

If it was most other scores, I'd agree, but for me, TMP deserves to have every little bit they can find from the archives released. Hell, I'd happily see them sacrifice a reissue of TVH for more TMP.

I would LOVE to see The Motion Picture get a great presentation, but 6 takes of the Main Titles or Ilia's Theme does not make for a good listening experience except for guys like us.

Look at the Lord Of The Rings: Complete Recordings, or the Superman Blue Box. THAT is my ideal for a Star Trek Movie Release.

There is enough room, with most of the alternate versions (though not every take) of the music, on 2 80 minute CDs.

It would need to be remastered to the same or better sound quality as the 20th Anniversary set, and include liner notes explaining the music in detail, but it does need to be a good listening experience.

6 takes of the Main Theme with Jerry Goldsmith counting down to conduct each cue is not something to put on a commercial CD release.

Complete or Expanded of the following would work for me:

- TMP

- TWOK

- TSFS

- TFF

- TUC

TVH, GEN and the TNG films are not in the same league, though I love them all.

An expanded release of Giacchino's Star Trek is something I personally would like to see as well.

Look, I can barely listen to two CDs worth of The Motion Picture as it stands, without any alternates or other takes as it stands. It's nice, yes, it's melodic, yes, but it has its moments of unlistenability. So excuse me for not clearly remembering what material constitutes that third CD.