Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan

Hitch

6 takes of the Main Theme with Jerry Goldsmith counting down to conduct each cue is not something to put on a commercial CD release.

Whereas six takes of the SW Main Theme is okay (it's on the 97 release).

Basically, I don't think any Trek rerelease will be for anyone but guys like us. Even with the success of 2.0, it's very unlikely that it'll make mainstreamers go out in their droves to purchase the music. Which is why I'd like to see them go all out. I realise it's very unlikely to happen, but it doesn't stop me from wanting it to happen.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 takes of the Main Theme with Jerry Goldsmith counting down to conduct each cue is not something to put on a commercial CD release.

Whereas six takes of the SW Main Theme is okay (it's on the 97 release).

Basically, I don't think any Trek rerelease will be for anyone but guys like us. Even with the success of 2.0, it's very unlikely that it'll make mainstreamers go out in their droves to purchase the music. Which is why I'd like to see them go all out. I realise it's very unlikely to happen, but it doesn't stop me from wanting it to happen.

Perhaps, but even among us soundtrack fans, it still needs to be a good listening experience.

The Star Wars 2CD set was a special case in a way, since the first recordings of the Star Wars theme were a hidden bonus on the last track of disk 2.

Something akin to the 97 version would be fantastic for Star Trek: TMP.

One cue that should be released is the film version of "The Force Field", which has a very different Blaster Beam introduction.

A third CD with outtakes, with the other side the complete score in DVD-A/5.1 DD would be stupendous.

It's a movie about some people in space, but that's not important right now.

The same can be safely said about that awful space opera "Star Wars"

I would take a 3 disc set of ST:TMP anytime.

Not every score needs a complete representation with alternates but this is one of the few that is deserving of such treatment.

Not every score needs a complete representation with alternates but this is one of the few that is deserving of such treatment.

Complete+Alternates would fit on 2 CDs. But such a release would definately be in my collection. ;)

It's not worth re-releasing The Motion Picture unless they're going to re-release every other Star Trek score in some improved fashion or another. Not when those of us without scruples have all that we need and then some of this score.

And I'll be darned. 139 minutes of music really would fit onto two 80-minute CDs. That even includes the superfluous outtakes of the main titles, which is only four minutes. You can tell how long it's been since I've worried about burning 80-minute CDs. My bad.

As would I, though the alternates disc wouldn't get pulled out very often.

Personally I want every Trek score complete, no matter how good. I'd even buy IV complete.

I like the prologue and the end titles (with the Courage bit), I have those on a compilation. The rest never seemed that special to me (yes, that's including Stealing the Enterprise, although I've only heard that in the film). Overall, I think Khan is the superiour score, and if I want some Klingon action, I prefer Aliens.

It's shockingly fresh for a Horner sequel score. The decision to take the B section of the main theme from II and essentially make it the main theme for III was genius. And as I've said before, the unreleased material really elevates the whole score, as much as any Trek score.

And I have so little Horner in my collection I can enjoy them without worrying about future copying. ;)

BTW it's been reported on The Digital Bits that a box set containing Star Trek Generations, First Contact, Insurrection and Nemesis will be released on Blu-Ray at the end of this year in time to coincide with the new Star Trek film for DVD and Blu-Ray release. I definitely gotta get me everything regarding that this year, both box sets for the TOS crew and TNG crew and the new Star Trek film on Blu-Ray.

I was watching this last night on TV. There's a shot of the Reliant in the nebula where it comes out of a cloud and you actually see it subtly coming through in such a natural way. I found it to be a fairly impressive and well-done special effect for the time. Except for Chekov's fake ear (which never looked good), I prefer the classic effects to the CGI of the new Star Trek. This one and First Contact have the best SFX.

I can appreciate both. There's a LOT to be said for physical models. They are just so undeniably real that if their true size isn't apparent and the building materials look right, you end up with some really awesome effects. I mean, a lot of the model work in the Star Wars OT and in TWOK and so forth would not look any better as CGI these days, and it could easily look worse.

But I'm also a bit of a digital artist, so I can definitely appreciate CGI, too. There are some things that practical models, matte paintings, and so forth simply cannot accomplish, and I'm all for the tasteful use of CGI in those cases. But I would hope that real models don't die. The results justify the time and effort required to build them.

I don't know if I'd go that far. Star Trek is probably the best I've seen it used, but it would've been really nice to have a model for that last shot.

I agree with John, it never ever crossed my mind in Trek 2.0 that the ships were CG.

I don't think the other movies have ever been wow with their effects, except maybe TMP, III's death of Enterprise, and VI's shockwave. I always though First Contact had pretty average effects. The Borg look cheap, and the first shot of the Enterprise looks FMV-esque. Nemesis' were very nice, if sometimes obviously CG.

When I first heard that they were replacing the old opticals in the original series, I thought to myself, "What, they can't use their creativity to go forward, to use it on something new?!" Just a few minutes ago I viewed "The Naked Time," and I didn't think too much about it being CG. Which I guess backs up my idea: what was the point of spending all that time and money?

When I first heard that they were replacing the old opticals in the original series, I thought to myself, "What, they can't use their creativity to go forward, to use it on something new?!" Just a few minutes ago I viewed "The Naked Time," and I didn't think too much about it being CG. Which I guess backs up my idea: what was the point of spending all that time and money?

To attract younger audiences who haven't seen the show before but might be turned off by the archaic opticals (which, while amazing for their time, don't look particularly good in HD).