The Official Intrada Thread

Trent B

1 hour ago, publicist said:

Sure i do, that's why i was protecting the War Requiem.

They should remove The Adventures on Earth off the new E.T. out of respect for Howard Hanson as well. ;)

Karol

12 minutes ago, crocodile said:

They should remove The Adventures on Earth off the new E.T. out of respect for Howard Hanson as well. ;)

Karol

Your part-time Horner apologism is rearing its head I see.

No, I just don't get why all the double standards, even when only discussing Horner's career. Certainly, the Britten quotations in Genesis Countdown or Gayane adagio in Aliens main titles are more offensive than anything in Troy.

Karol

26 minutes ago, crocodile said:

No, I just don't get why all the double standards, even when only discussing Horner's career. Certainly, the Britten quotations in Genesis Countdown or Gayane adagio in Aliens main titles are more offensive than anything in Troy.

Karol

Have you even heard the passage in question?

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

My favorite stealing/use of Khachaturian is definitely Burwell/The Coens basing The Hudsucker Proxy score in the Spartacus adagio.

Well, that's not a ripoff but a straight, intentional adaptation, no?

15 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Ah, so it’s an Elliot Goldenthal type situation?

What's the Goldenthal situation?

Anyway, wake me up when Yared's score is released.

Just now, Marian Schedenig said:

Well, that's not a ripoff but a straight, intentional adaptation, no?

Hence the "/use of" ;) 

I just saw Karol's reference to Khachaturian and immediately thought of Hudsucker is all.

2 hours ago, publicist said:

But much more overt, as this is a major celebrational mass passage and not some rhythmic inversion that could be easily changed. 

I don't know, doesn't seem that major to me as I never considered Britten to be that important of a composer. Perhaps I should, not sure how do you measure such things... Horner has done far worse in many of his most beloved works, that's all I'm saying. Whether they are important parts of any given concert piece or just random obscure passages doesn't matter to me as much.

Speaking of Horner and his points of reference in Troy, apparently the similarity between Achilles' theme and Shostakovich's final movement from his fifth symphony was entirely intentional.

Karol

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

How could we know, with the score that went unused and (as far as I know) the sheet music that hasn't leaked?

I just thought he might have said at some point how much music he recorded or if he stated it was the full score when he leaked it or whatever

1 hour ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

I just thought he might have said at some point how much music he recorded or if he stated it was the full score when he leaked it or whatever

My impression is that he recorded a lot, if not all of it, and was supposed to recording some revisions. And the score wasn't finished when they used it during test screening. They never finished mixing it.

1 hour ago, publicist said:

:angry:

Let me rephrase that so it makes more sense. Theft is a theft and there should be no excuse. So I can't see why it should be more of an issue in Troy than it is in something like Willow. Besides, I'm more concerned about how close they actual "quotes" get to the source rather than what they are. That is why Gayane in Aliens bothers me greatly while Gayane in Jack Ryan score doesn't bother me as much. That is because he actually does something else with it. The snippet of Dies Irae (from Sinfonia da Requiem) in Genesis Countdown is more of an issue in The Wrath of Khan than it is in Cocoon, for a similiar reason. And the Romeo and Juliet snippet is more annoying in The Search of Spock than it is in Willow. The Britten quote in Troy is a close one to spot, I grant you, but the fanfare seems like a part of a larger context within War Requiem whereas Horner uses that idea as an isolated passage. So in my book it isn't as bad. Even  though, as I pointed out above, it's still essentially the same thing. ;)

As for Troy, I don't want to spend too much time defending it because it isn't exactly a masterpiece of any sort. I just happen to like it for whatever reason and, as mentioned previously, the original album is one of the more enjoyable Horner CD's from that era. Although I have to admit neither of the two scores really would work that well with this film. While diet Horner version can feel a bit too bare-boned and dry, the overeager Yared stuff comes off as bit hokey when put against picture (having watched some reconstructions). It's either too much or not enough. Both work better outside the stuck up film so not sure what it says about either of them. Petersen had little respect for his composer's contributions anyway and, if I recall correctly, Horner himself has said his music didn't really help make "Troy great again" in the end so the whole affair wasn't really worth all the hassle and/or, whether you want to admit it or not, hard work.

But hey, I still like both scores. Bite me.

Karol

I always rather fond of the Achilles theme statement in Never Hesitate. You can hear it in the samples. Hector's Farewells I like as well. To be honest, most of the highlights are already present on the original album. It's just that many sequences were trimmed and things like that.

Oh great, I just realised that we get not one but two versions of Remember Me. Wonderful.

Karol

5 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Let me rephrase that so it makes more sense. Theft is a theft and there should be no excuse. So I can't see why it should be more of an issue in Troy than it is in something like Willow. Besides, I'm more concerned about how close they actual "quotes" get to the source rather than what they are. That is why Gayane in Aliens bothers me greatly while Gayane in Jack Ryan score doesn't bother me as much. That is because he actually does something else with it. The snippet of Dies Irae (from Sinfonia da Requiem) in Genesis Countdown is more of an issue in The Wrath of Khan than it is in Cocoon, for a similiar reason. And the Romeo and Juliet snippet is more annoying in The Search of Spock than it is in Willow. The Britten quote in Troy is a close one to spot, I grant you, but the fanfare seems like a part of a larger context within War Requiem whereas Horner uses that idea as an isolated passage. So in my book it isn't as bad.

That's true but let's say the use of a piece and its meaning that a proven brit-lover like Horner must have known in such banal context is much more damning in its implications than, say, taking Schumann or Prokoviev pieces from operas and ballets. It's all water under the bridge now but the blasé 'i don't give a fuck as long as the cue gets me off' attitude so prevalent in film music circles is part of the problem: James Horner (and others, Bill Conti is another major offender) weren't able to pass off work after work as 'Music Composed by' without a mere mention of the source, be it classical or from his peers, if there would be more of a conscience that it is NOT ok taking these pieces and not even bothering mentioning the owner and even more not ok to rip an important musical anti-war statement and put it in a war movie (simplification, i know, but it's not that farfetched).

But 'Troy' is for sure an all-around shrug for all involved, so i guess we all kind of don't care at this late point. Intrada will probably sit on these copies a long time.

13 minutes ago, publicist said:

That's true but let's say the use of a piece and its meaning that a proven brit-lover like Horner must have known in such banal context is much more damning in its implications than, say, taking Schumann or Prokoviev pieces from operas and ballets. It's all water under the bridge now but the blasé 'i don't give a fuck as long as the cue gets me off' attitude so prevalent in film music circles is part of the problem: James Horner (and others, Bill Conti is another major offender) weren't able to pass off work after work as 'Music Composed by' without a mere mention of the source, be it classical or from his peers, if there would be more of a conscience that it is NOT ok taking these pieces and not even bothering mentioning the owner and even more not ok to rip an important musical anti-war statement and put it in a war movie (simplification, i know, but it's not that farfetched).

But 'Troy' is for sure an all-around shrug for all involved, so i guess we all kind of don't care at this late point. Intrada will probably sit on these copies a long time.

Ah so you're bothered by how he cheapens the message of the original peace by using it in context like this. I understand where you're coming from now, didn't quite get your meaning earlier. Yeah, I guess this might be a valid point if you put it this way. But then, I doubt Horner had enough time to contemplate the implications of such an act given that he had to compose and orchestrate 10 minutes of orchestral music a day for this. That is why I wouldn't make such a huge deal out of this. But the Britten estate clearly begs to differ.

Speaking of cheapening classical music, I've always found it funny how Kubrick, otherwise renowned for his usage of concert music in his films and the impeccable taste, also fell into a trap of cheap thrills. The Penderecki or Ligeti pieces might be suitable for horror or anxiety presented on screen but they have much deeper meaning (often of religious and spiritual nature). And that is why now those, otherwise progressive and interesting, musical experiments were condemned to be immortalised by dozens of badly executed horror film scores over the past 4-5 decades. Oh joy.

6 minutes ago, Richard said:

From what I've seen of TROY (and I'll happily admit that I've not seen it all) Yared was better off out of it.

Yup. His music would be better suited to be a cantata/tone poem concert piece or something like that.

Karol

Either way, Petersen finally managed to figure out what his film needed in the first place while putting together his director's cut... Good for him!

Ah, well.

Karol

• 2 weeks later...

Clues for Tuesday's Intrada titles

Just in time for Halloween -- two spookers for you. One is from mid-80s and only previously on LP. This is expanded. An oddball from an Intrada regular. And we're only pressing 500 of this one. The second is from a late 80s ghost thriller, with a great orchestral score rich in themes, the likes of which we just don't hear anymore. It's a straight reissue of an older CD, with cleaned up assembly. As a bonus is a second disc of a non-film music work by the same composer, which he describes as a work just looking for a film.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7585

People on FSM / Intrada think its Terrorvision by Richard Band and Flowers in the Attic by Christopher Young

• 3 weeks later...

Hint for tomorrow's release

This week’s new release presents two pretty cool original score albums from the 60’s together on one CD. Both are from the same heavily-honored composer and both are presented intact from original stereo and multi-track album masters. Both are albums I played a lot… and continue to do so. Artwork, contents and sound samples should be posted here Monday eve, October 30. The CD begins shipping on Halloween, October 31.

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/sc.13/category.60330/.f

I don't visit FSM generally, have they already cracked the nut?

That's only Doug's clue, you didn't include Roger's clue

Two scores, one CD. Both straight LP reissues. Both from the 60s. One is a Western and it's premiere release on CD from the 8-track LP master. Sorry, original film recording sessions are long lost. Second was released on CD not too long ago as part of large set I thought, but I can't seem to find it. So this may or may not be a premiere.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7605

I don't think there was a definitive consensus in the FSM thread

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=123608&forumID=1&archive=0

Speaking of Intrada, it's kind of annoying how all of their sample links are M3U and Chrome downloads those instead of playing in browser.  I have to copy the link address and replace the last two characters with 'p3' to get it to play in browser.  Any one know a workaround for that?

I mean I have VLC that can do that, but I like on LLL and Varese's sites that I can click a specific sample I want to hear and it just opens a new tab and starts playing immediately.

I tried making Chrome the default application for M3U, but that doesn't work.  Oh well, not a major inconvenience, but sometimes you put a minor complaint out there and someone has a solution.

• 3 weeks later...

@Woj Just noticed that Roger posted this about the possibility of a release of the DuckTales television scores:

"We tried, but it's not going to happen."

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7607&start=30

Intrada's final titles of the year are coming Tuesday December 5th

We'll end the year with our last two releases of the year on Dec. 5th. One I mentioned earlier is a 4-CD set guaranteed to make golden age fans very happy. The second is the release of the year -- for me personally. It's not one people would have expected so it will be a bit of a surprise. But people have asked for it!

More details as we get closer.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7624

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

The second one could be The Mummy.

Hopefully it will be The Mummy.

The second one could be basically anything.

Although if it is the Mummy, it won't quite be the 'release of the year' IMO because the isolated score has provided everything we need in perfect quality.

I'd prefer Gladiator from that era. There's a score that is in dire need of an expansion.

6 hours ago, scallenger said:

I forget, do they mention the titles of these final releases earlier than their release date like LLL does for Black Friday?

No.

2 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

The second one could be basically anything.

Although if it is the Mummy, it won't quite be the 'release of the year' IMO because the isolated score has provided everything we need in perfect quality.

I'd prefer Gladiator from that era. There's a score that is in dire need of an expansion.

I don't care whether there is a an isolated score or not. I just care about the music's quality which is worth a complete score.

Roger has provided more clues for the 4CD Golden Age release

I'll send you [Americans] off into the Thanksgiving weekend with the following stats about the 4 CD-set compiled by Frank, which will probably help you get no closer to figuring out what it is, but it is early yet. 

243 minutes of music
143 tracks
40-page booklet
25 years of Hollywood history
11 films
13 years in development
4 discs
3 studios
1 composer

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=78220#p78220

243 minutes, 143 tracks - got some short tracks in there, Bob!

Golden Age is a blindspot for me, so no guesses, but I'm glad someone is still releasing golden age for people who care.  Hope it sells well.