The Official Intrada Thread

Trent B

Damnation Alley will be part of my final order of the year (along with CE3K, A Fish Called Wanda and whatever Quartet may have in store for their last batch). The Waxman sounds interesting but will have to wait for later.

Since neither is a limited release, these can wait, no matter how great Damnation Alley is.

13 hours ago, El Jefe said:

I haven’t seen the film since the 70’s but I didn’t realize how short the score was.

What I don't understand is if the whole thing is only 33 minutes, and all they found in the archives were the orchestral recordings and not the synth layer, wouldn't it have made sense to present the score twice, once with the new synths recorded in 2017 layered on top, and once with just the orchestral recordings they found?

56 minutes ago, Jay said:

What I don't understand is if the whole thing is only 33 minutes, and all they found in the archives were the orchestral recordings and not the synth layer, wouldn't it have made sense to present the score twice, once with the new synths recorded in 2017 layered on top, and once with just the orchestral recordings they found?

Yeah, kinda like how FSM presented 100 Rifles in both mono and stereo. 

You're wrong.

The Waxman boxset link specifically says:

Intrada Special Collection 4-CD set available while quantities and interest remain!

Damnation Alley specifically says:

Intrada Special Collection CD available while quantities and interest remain!

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Maybe they felt felt the cues minus the synths weren’t presentable? Or it could be cost related, I dunno. I guess it would be best to ask Mr Matessino.

Well, they would be bonus tracks, so how "presentable" they are shouldn't really matter much.  The main program wouldn't be changed.

I know next to nothing about this score so forgive this ignorant speculation, but did Goldsmith originally intend it to be orchestral and the decision to add synths came later?  Because if not, and Goldsmith had recorded the orchestra never intending the score to be heard that way, I could see not including them in that way.

Oh no I am certain he planned for all the electronics to be there from the start.

I'm just saying it would make for interesting bonus tracks to include what they found, especially since otherwise, we only get to hear what was recorded in the 70s with 2017 synths on top.

If the score was longer than 40 minutes, I wouldn't even bring it up, but it's only 33!

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I really really want that Waxman release.  LLL's too.

I'm also interested in this one. But I guess it can wait until my birthday in January.

In any case, Damnation Alley shipped today.

Karol

On 05/12/2017 at 1:09 AM, Jay said:

Excellent news! More seafaring music, especially a classic like this one, is always welcome.

John Debney specifically mentioned Waxman as inspiration for my favourite Cutthroat Island.

Sounds like I'll finally find out why! :D

I hope the sound quality will be reasonable. And stereo...

Uh...only one score on the set is stereo. Captains Corageous is from 1937, so stereo is quite a lot to ask for when it isn't a re-recording! It sounds amazing for 1937 though, as the sound clips attest. Sounds a heck of a lot better than Steiner's The Flame and the Arrow from SAE/BYU and that's from 1950.

if you want a more recent Waxman seafaring score (think it might be stereo), there's this one that Varese put out a few years back -- I can definitely see CutThorat Island borrowing from this seafaring Waxman sound:

Yavar

• 4 weeks later...

January 9th release.

Roger Feigelson said:

Intrada kicks off the New Year with a 2-CD expansion of an adventure score from the early '90s

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7670&sid=a98c1ea6261c07eda09ada88d837942a

I hope very much it's Kamen's Robin Hood!

There are, of course, many adventure scores from the early 90s, though.

I wouldn't mind to have more Kamen. That being either Robin Hood or The Three Musketeers.

Although it the former would make sense given recent hints about the major score sans song appearing on one of the forthcoming releases.

Karol

6 hours ago, crocodile said:

I wouldn't mind to have more Kamen. That being either Robin Hood or The Three Musketeers.

Although it the former would make sense given recent hints about the major score sans song appearing on one of the forthcoming releases.

Karol

Yep. What I said on the FSM and Intrada thread. 

Angeldibujo wrote:
Could it be at last the so much anticipated Michael Kamen's ROBIN HOOD, PRINCE OF THIEVES? :D

If it is then Doug's (or Roger's) clue a while back about an upcoming title not including the hit song could mean Bryan Adam's song won't be in it much like Celine Dion's TITANIC song.

6 hours ago, Corellian2019 said:

If it is Robin Hood, then it will be good to know that La-La Land and Intrada can tackle catalog titles from WB :)

Intrada has been tackling WB titles for years now...most recently they licensed that amazing 11 score 4 disc Waxman set from them.

Yavar

There is no evidence of anything whatsoever beyond Roger's clue quoted above.  It could literally be any "adventure" score from 1990-1992 that fits on two discs and had a previous release.

Roger Feigelson left a clue about an upcoming album without a popular theme song which would upset fans. I think it was in the FSM LLL TITANIC thread. That clue and Roger's clue leads me to strongly believe that this is going to be Michael Kamen's ROBIN HOOD: PRINCE OF THIEVES (without Bryan Adam's hit song)  

EDIT: it was Roger Feigelson and NOT Doug Fake who left the clue for the Jan/Feb release. Here is the exact quote:

I guess Intrada will get some heat when we release an expanded score in January/February without the signature vocal as well. But it couldn't be licensed but there will be lots of new score on it. I'll brace myself for the complaints!-Roger Feigelson

More tantalizing news here from Doug Fake on his Doug's Corner Intrada thread !

1/7/2018

With our first new release for 2018 arriving this Tuesday, January 9th, listeners will finally be able to own and enjoy one of the really epic film scores of the 90’s, not just as the score portion of a popular CD from the day but as an expanded 2-CD score release with nearly 110 minutes of incredibly exciting music, more than half of it previously unreleased! With another 20-plus minutes of alternate music, this one is a fabulous addition to your action and adventure film score library. And, it’s just great music - period. Watch for artwork and contents here Monday evening - January 8 - along with sound samples to savor.

Is Robin Hood really worth the hype? I don't think I've listened to it more than three times in my life in its entirety. I just skip from the main titles to the Bryan Adams song. 

55 minutes ago, Woj said:

Is Robin Hood really worth the hype? I don't think I've listened to it more than three times in my life in its entirety. I just skip from the main titles to the Bryan Adams song. 

I re-watched the film a few weeks ago and found the score and film to be quite appealing and all the unreleased cues are highly anticipated too. It's actually one of the most requested expanded title by film music aficionados and fans of the film.

It's mediocre music (and was co-written by an army of orchestrators) but at least it's out of the way then. 'Last of the Mohicans' would be another candidate (better music, at least the Jones portion).