The Official Intrada Thread

Trent B

1 hour ago, Jay said:

How about WILD PALMS, there's a 90s miniseries nobody remembers but me

I sure don't!  Of course it aired in '93 which is a few years before my age of rabid TV consumption.  I was so into TV between ages, like, 9 and 13.  I knew the lineups of every broadcast network (remember I only had ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, and FOX).  Then I got older and realized most of TV sucks haaaaard.

Well. Roger at Intrada just dropped the clue for the second 2cd set. 

Also coming 7/17, a 2-CD set from a early 00s action/adventure/thriller/horror/comedy...frankly I'm exactly sure how to classify the film but it was overly frenetic. Not like the more fun earlier one. Massive epic score though and finally due its expansion, especially since nothing from the last part of the movie made it to the album

spacer.gifit's THE MUMMY RETURNS! 😉

1 hour ago, Amer said:

Well. Roger at Intrada just dropped the clue for the second 2cd set. 

Also coming 7/17, a 2-CD set from a early 00s action/adventure/thriller/horror/comedy...frankly I'm exactly sure how to classify the film but it was overly frenetic. Not like the more fun earlier one. Massive epic score though and finally due its expansion, especially since nothing from the last part of the movie made it to the album

spacer.gifit's THE MUMMY RETURNS! 😉

Prepping my wallet for some purchases then.

Fate intervened and freed Goldsmith of another impossibly bad movie with 120 minutes of score - he was already seriously ill in 2001 - and gave instead Silvestri a chance to shine, and that he did. Only in retrospect these bold adventure scores appear as a fin de siecle. 

Doug wasn't wrong. Silvestri really packed heck of a punch with his music and the score is if not his finest among them surely.

The Mummy is equally amazing late career Goldsmith. Every time I listen to it these days I get a bit nostalgic thinking how no one outside a select few writes/is allowed to write action/adventure stuff that way anymore.

1 hour ago, Holko said:

Huh. Gonna check out the OST then, maybe the movie if I really like it.

3 tracks in, I'll definitely watch the movie, no matter how shitty, for a full score evaluation.

I was a big fan of the first movie (and score) and couldn’t have disliked the sequel more if Fraser had turned to camera and started insulting my mother.

This alone has kept me over the years from checking out Silvestri’s score.  I will remedy that, though, don’t you worry.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I was a big fan of the first movie (and score) and couldn’t have disliked the sequel more if Fraser had turned to camera and started insulting my mother.

This alone has kept me over the years from checking out Silvestri’s score.  I will remedy that, though, don’t you worry.

The score has its moments, but is quite repetitive. It'll be interesting though to get the music from the last part of the film.

The main heroic theme reminds me a lot (what a weird coincidence) of The Cowboys' Mischief motif in its structure. Listen to the OST on Spotify, it's pretty good.

Yep, the OST's great, except noticeably unfinished. Even if I didn't know it has no material from the third act (or something) I would feel very unsatisfied. But that bloody song was needed. In other words: the material the OST is built from is great, but the way it's selected is not.

6 hours ago, Holko said:

3 tracks in, I'll definitely watch the movie, no matter how shitty, for a full score evaluation.

Personally, I quite like it. I really, really like adventure films on the whole anyway; especially of the Indiana Jones kind.

The first film is by far the best, but if you just go along for a fun ride, there's enjoyment to be had with both the sequels as well.

(Oh dear... NOW I've gone ahead and done it...! :P )

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

You'll be banned from JWFan forever, for sure.

Oh well, I'm barely here anyway; let alone posting anything. ;)

18 hours ago, publicist said:

Jup. Couldn't pass on either, though Mummy Returns is arguably the more necessary expansion.

Will it really win me over when the only thing on the album that managed to somewhat hold my interest was the suite at the end?

Well, that cue certainly got my attention! I should check out Silvestri more often, really.

I'm not into Back to the Future or Roger Rabbit (I prefer Horner and Broughton's music for that franchise), but I've at least always loved Predator 2.

7 hours ago, publicist said:

If you don't like this cue i wouldn't bet on it:

Hmph, that sounds nice enough. Now I'll probably get it, play it once, consider it worth having, and then hardly ever play it again (like so many others).

6 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

That's another one I found a bit repetitive, but it definitely had its moments.

Judge Dredd has some of my favourite Silvestri moments, and the expansion has more of them.

I vastly prefer Goldsmith's to Silvestri's. I find the latter too busy, and with a lot of the action lacking focus, or something. Doesn't really engage me.

Considering that Silvestri must've had way more fun than Goldsmith did (and that's putting it lightly) I just put it down to different styles.

I wonder if Goldsmith was actually enjoying the process of writing the 70 mins he'd agreed, and if it was just the additional 30 mins that sank the boat, or if he thought the film was rubbish to begin with.

Goldsmith writes way more cohesive and Silvestri has really only one mode of writing 'heroic' or 'bad guy' but considering, it's still a damn fine epic adventure score with another great silly faux-orient tune at its core. 

1 hour ago, publicist said:

Goldsmith writes way more cohesive and Silvestri has really only one mode of writing 'heroic' or 'bad guy' but considering, it's still a damn fine epic adventure score with another great silly faux-orient tune at its core. 

Silvestri's is a case where I largely find the suite to be enough for me much of the time. It summarizes all of his themes and contains My First Bus Ride which was always my favourite action sequence. I don't like his Imhotep material as much and honestly can't remember what half the action music sounds like. I probably like the film as much as Goldsmith liked the first (i.e. I think it's rubbish).

Whereas if I could quite happily listen to a near-complete The Mummy if I combined some shorter cues into suites, and removed a few unneeded action cues.

His choral chanting here is really thumpingly good, though and much better than what wound up on the album (the straight BttF-laced My First Bus Ride is exactly what i do not need more of). 40-50 minutes of a really great adventure album if you weed out all the repetitions.

I have a special connection to The Mummy Returns, which really isn't a very good movie (especially the end), but it is fun.  It was a movie that opened right when I started working at a movie theater, so I would spend my lunch breaks sitting in that movie for pretty much the entire summer.

I am super excited to get official complete releases for both scores, but I will admit I will be editing them down because I don't think either one plays best in complete form.

The Goldsmith is AMAZING...but about halfway through it hits a more boring patch of samey suspense/horror music...whether Jerry started to not care about the project as much or that's just what the film called for in those places, I find the music less engaging than the amazing first half and finale, so I'll probably be editing out about 25 minutes or so there.

Silvestri's score is not as good, IMO. He wrote some wonderful themes but in terms of varying and developing them he just...doesn't, enough for me. I know few can compare with Goldsmith in this regard, but Silvestri in particular is just like, "here's my big over the top heroic action theme again, huzzah!" That said, it IS a very fun theme, but for me Silvestri's best themes are the one in Sandcastles and this love theme which is very sweeping and Golden-Agey. We should get more variations of both of those themes on this expansion (including the great end credits cue) which is what I'm most excited about. Sadly, I find Silvestri's horror/suspense music much less engaging than Goldsmith's so I'll be editing out most of that too.

But the existing albums for both leave off enough highlights that we really needed these complete editions to work from in whittling down the best possible albums.

Yavar

19 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

but Silvestri in particular is just like, "here's my big over the top heroic action theme again, huzzah!" That said, it IS a very fun theme,

My usual thoughts on Silvestri, tbh.  For whatever reason, The Mummy Returns doesn't wear on me (of course, I haven't heard a longer program).  Back to the Future I and II are pretty repetitive to me, although III is a solid listen (variations based on western style, plus Clara's theme).  I do like his gentler mode in things like Father of the Bride or Forrest Gump more.

9 minutes ago, mstrox said:

My usual thoughts on Silvestri, tbh.  For whatever reason, The Mummy Returns doesn't wear on me (of course, I haven't heard a longer program).  Back to the Future I and II are pretty repetitive to me, although III is a solid listen (variations based on western style, plus Clara's theme).  I do like his gentler mode in things like Father of the Bride or Forrest Gump more.

My great secret is that I enjoy when he goes full on EZ Cheese

24 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

The Goldsmith is AMAZING...but about halfway through it hits a more boring patch of samey suspense/horror music...whether Jerry started to not care about the project as much or that's just what the film called for in those places, I find the music less engaging than the amazing first half and finale, so I'll probably be editing out about 25 minutes or so there.

Yes, that's exactly what I find - the middle section of the score is rather unremarkable suspense/horror music that doesn't really go anywhere. At best, it needs viewing the scene to appreciate.

Given that it's said Goldsmith only agreed to 70 mins to start with, I'd tend to agree with someone's comment earlier that msot of the music not on the album is probably the stuff Goldsmith wrote in his 'pissed off' period.

The Mummy is just one of those movies I've seen so many times and like so much, I just love having all the music and that's all there is to it.  Bottlecap it may be, but it's a nice shiny one I like looking at a lot!

I've come to like some of the 'duller' middle bits a little more recently as both movies are on Prime video, and the tense cues work better in context.

Although my revised playlist still omits 19 mins of either boring or repetitive material. Goldsmith did a great job for most of the score, but it's not perfect.

7 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

The Mummy is just one of those movies I've seen so many times and like so much, I just love having all the music and that's all there is to it.  Bottlecap it may be, but it's a nice shiny one I like looking at a lot!

You should try listening to it! :)

Perhaps my biggest problem with The Mummy is how Goldsmith didn't utilise a lot of creative range - a 4000-year-old prologue, a WWI-ish skirmish between two formal armies, a night raid on a river boat, a mindless crowd on the streets of Chairo and the heroes fighting resurrected mummies all blend into each other and sound kinda samey. The themes are also much weaker more simplistic than Silvestri's wonders. Still, my current stance is: get the Goldsmith one soon (already listened to the bootleg complete twice), decide how soon to get the Silvestri one after a few complete listens of the proper presentation.

What additional range does Silvestri display? I would say both are them are pretty guilty of that.

I absolutely love Silvestri's two primary themes (the ones heard at the start of the suite), and I think Goldsmith's Imhotep theme and Egypt theme (? - the one at the start of the percussion in the first track) are fantastic, but both of their 'Rick' themes area bit meh.

At least Goldsmith's (shorter) Rick heroic theme he puts through more interesting variations. But yeah, there are at least three other themes in the score (including a beautiful love theme) that I like better.

One of the reasons I prefer the Goldsmith score is that his setpieces have more distinct variety, so I'm surprised at your opinion Holko. Night Boarders for me is very distinct from The Camel Race is very distinct from The Sand Volcano.

Yavar