The Official Intrada Thread

Trent B

Aren't people expecting this one to be Ron Goodwin's One Of Our Dinosaurs Is Missing?

Now there's a film I've never seen, or had even heard of before film score message boards

Y'all be crazy. There are tons of excellent Disney 70s scores! Hell, do some easy edits to take out the Lawrence of Arabia riffs in Jerry Goldsmith's One Little Indian (1973) and I think you have Jerry's most purely enjoyable western score on album.

And Ron Goodwin did five excellent scores for Disney in the 70s, with One of Our Dinosaurs Is Missing (1975) probably the most fun (I would love it if this release were that!)

Intrada has released several Goodwin scores so far including two of his three feature film scores for Disney, with his best the only one remaining (the other two Disney scores he did are TV movies, which like Schifrin's Earth Star Voyager -- or Ron Jones's Ducktales -- are apparently sadly off limits, for now, because it's a different division of the company Intrada does not have a connection with at this time).

But since I don't think Goodwin was on Roger's list of composers for this year, I think the most likely Disney 70s title is actually a different Lalo Schifrin score for the studio! Return from Witch Mountain (1978, second in that long-running franchise, and Intrada already released Johnny Mandel's score to the original film in the franchise from 1975, Escape to Witch Mountain):

EDIT: I just checked and this might also be another Lalo Schifrin score which he did that exact same year also for Disney! The Cat from Outer Space (I've never heard of this one, and the reason I think Witch Mountain 2 is still more likely is because Intrada already released the first in the series):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cat_from_Outer_Space

50 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Hmmmm, in general the 70s is not the greatest era for Disney, in terms of either films or scores.

I think I definitely agree with you in terms of films (and that poor streak extended well into the 80s with stuff like The Black Cauldron despite the book series it was based on being awesome).

But we all know that excellent scores can be written for poor films. For example (from Disney), John Barry's The Black Hole (1979) or Maurice Jarre's The Island at the Top of the World (1974; well to be fair I've never seen that one), both also released from the vaults by Intrada...

Yavar

@Yavar Moradi I'm definitely open to being persuaded on 70s Disney!

But there are 50s and 60s obscurities I'd get way more excited about.

Like The Adventures of Bullwhip Griffin.  Sherman Brothers songs!  George Bruns score!

Don’t know that one but I would like a complete Bedknobs and Broomsticks (1971) — a movie I did really enjoy as a kid with Sherman Brothers songs and an excellent Irwin Kostal score...

(score cue starts about 20 sec in)

Not a fan of this one?

Yavar

20 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

@Yavar Moradi I'm definitely open to being persuaded on 70s Disney!

But there are 50s and 60s obscurities I'd get way more excited about.

Like The Adventures of Bullwhip Griffin.  Sherman Brothers songs!  George Bruns score!

Swiss Family Robinson..

Treasure Island...

30 minutes ago, Fal J. M. Skywalker said:

Swiss Family Robinson..

Treasure Island...

Oh yeah I would love me some William Alwyn and Clifton Parker! And they both did other good scores for the studio too...

Yavar

4 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Oh yeah I would love me some William Alwyn and Clifton Parker! And they both did other good scores for the studio too...

Yavar

Honestly there should be so many more releases of those great British film composers of that era.  Alwyn, Addinsell, Easdale.  At least there’s the great Chandos albums.

Problem is most scores for the British film industry of their era got tossed. It’s possible that their work for Disney may be the only stuff that still survives in the vaults (because that studio takes great care of its vaults). Fingers crossed that Intrada gets around to more live action Disney scores from the 50s and 60s, for sure...

Yavar

That sounds quite fun actually. But I'm not sure if I can get this one straight away or wait a bit to bundle it up with something else sometime later this year.

Karol

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2019 at 6:52 PM, Disco Stu said:

The Adventures of Bullwhip Griffin.  Sherman Brothers songs!  George Bruns score!

On 10/4/2019 at 7:04 PM, Yavar Moradi said:

Don’t know that one

Subscribe to Disney+ ;) 

17:14

Bedknobs will be there too, of course.  This service will seriously be a treasure trove of obscure, forgotten live-action Disney.

No releases for November but coming back for December.  Is this normal for Intrada?

Just aheads up that we're taking Nov off but will be back with hopefully four releases to close out December.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8294

11 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I think of LLL as doing their big notable releases on Black Friday and Intrada doing theirs in December traditionally.  Is that supported by reality?

I don't have 2018 on there yet but you can see the end of the year for Intrada from 2017 back through 2011 here

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/20226-the-specialty-film-score-label-catalog-of-new-titles/

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

I don't have 2018 on there yet but you can see the end of the year for Intrada from 2017 back through 2011 here

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/20226-the-specialty-film-score-label-catalog-of-new-titles/

Judging from that the answer to my question would be: "Ish?  But not really." :) 

2011 - 6 in November, 3 in December

2012 - 5 in November, 3 in December

2013 - 7 in November, 1 in December

2014 - 4 in November, 4 in December

2015 - 2 in November, 4 in December

2016 - 6 in November, 0 in December

2017 - 1 in November, 2 in December

2018 - 2 in November, 3 in December

2019 - 0 in November, 4 in December

Just now, Jay said:

2011 - 6 in November, 3 in December

2012 - 5 in November, 3 in December

2013 - 7 in November, 1 in December

2014 - 4 in November, 4 in December

2015 - 2 in November, 4 in December

2016 - 6 in November, 0 in December

2017 - 1 in November, 2 in December

2018 - 2 in November, 3 in December

Yeah, they've definitely released some doozies in December, but there's no evidence of there being a conscious effort to save "big" releases for then.

There's no clues posted so it could be anything.  All Roger said was "hopefully four releases to close out December."

Wow you're right

2011 - 7 titles - Link, City of Fear, Masada, Explorers, The Great Train Robbery, The Sand Pebbles

2012 - 4 titles - Star Trek 5, 2 Days In The Valley, The Shadow, Hoosiers

2013 - 8 titles - Congo, Gladiator, Shock Treatment / Fate Is the Hunter, Seven Days In May, Von Ryan's Express / The Detective, Inchon, Rio Conchos, Sebastian 

2014 - 4 titles - Psycho II, Night Crossing, Deep Rising, Our Man Flint / In Like Flint

2015 - 8 titles - The River Wild, Warlock, The Ghost and the Darkness, The Trouble With Angles, Capricorn One, The Secret of NIMH, Stagecoach, In Harm's Way

2016 - 3 titles - Powder, Chinatown, Rambo First Blood Part 2

2017 - 3 titles - Poltergeist II, One Little Indian, Damnation Alley

2018 - 6 titles - Rambo III, Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend, The Mummy, The Lonely Guy, The Reincarnation of Peter Proud

2019 - 0 titles so far

BTW maybe it's time to revisit the lists of composers he gave us to figure out the Final Four

His March 17 original list:

In fact we have many albums done stuck in approvals so March may not have much. But a glimpse of some composers you can expect to see over the next several months - Joel McNeely, John Barry, Jerry Goldsmith, Basil Poledouris (sigh), Bill Conti, John Williams, James Horner, Hugo Friedhofer, Bruce Broughton, Craig Safan, Chris Young, Lalo Schifrin, Sylvester Levay and more!

His April 2nd update:

An update to the list: Joel McNeely, John Barry, Jerry Goldsmith, Basil Poledouris (maybe...no promises yet), Bill Conti, John Williams, James Horner, Hugo Friedhofer, Bruce Broughton, Craig Safan, Chris Young, Lalo Schifrin, Sylvester Levay, Richard Band, Laurence Rosenthal, Jerry Fielding, Bear McCreary, Randy Edelman, possibly Frank DeVol and more! And sometimes more than one by these composers! This includes some world premieres, reissues, expansions...a little of everything.

And then his June 17th update: 

Now that we're halfway through, here's a look at some composers that mostly likely will get some attention this year: 

Jerry Fielding, Bruce Broughton, Christopher Young, John Barry, Bill Conti, Lalo Schifrin, Kenyon Hopkins, Frank DeVol, John Barry, Elmer Bernstein, Jerry Goldsmith, and maybe but who knows Basil Poledouris

Out of the composers listed, we already got:

McNeely - Iron Will

Williams - Monsignor

Safan - Son of the Morning Star

Fielding - Lawman

Band - Unlucky Charms

Edelman - Backdraft II

McCreary - Happy Death Day 2U

John Barry - King Rat, Howard The Duck

Bruce Broughton - Young Sherlock Holmes

Sylvester Levay - Howard The Duck

Kenyon Hopkins - Downhill Racer

Chris Young - Virtuosity

Elmer Bernstein - The Amazing Mr. Blunden

Which means we haven't gotten:

Jerry Goldsmith

Basil Poledouris

Bill Conti

James Horner

Hugo Friedhofer

Lalo Schifrin

Laurence Rosenthal

Frank DeVol

1 hour ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Horner was left out of the latest composers list... so maybe he is out of the equation for now. No Willow thise year then :(

The latest list is from June. I bet it is not of much use anymore.

Karol

I mean, there's only 4 titles coming and 8 composers on the list, so tons of stuff seemingly got pushed back from intended 2019 into 2020.  Heck, the final four could be by none of those composers at all, they could all be stuff that came up after Roger's composers lists, or by composers he chose not to include on his lists.

Latest update from Doug Fake on his Intrada Blog page:

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/sc.13/category.60330/.f

11/4/2019

As most folks are aware, California has seen the fiery wrath of Mother Nature quite a bit lately. Thing are still ablaze in places but improvements in the weather have mercifully aided firefighting efforts. Activity at our end has been slowed due to power outages but people here are safe and things are getting back on track. I’ve just finished editing and mastering a major Disney title and the resulting 2-CD release will be one of our early releases for 2020. Another Disney release is scheduled for next month, alongside one from Paramount, albeit workloads at the major film studios - many of them now busy establishing streaming services or settling in from mergers and whatnot - are slowing down the final approval processes. As much as I’d like to imagine otherwise, getting sign-offs on the latest Intrada releases isn’t at the top of the studio to-do lists, nor even in the middle of them. Hopefully not at the bottom, however

Our upcoming release of Dial M For Murder progresses rapidly. Simon Rhodes mixed everything and I’ve edited and mastered the album already. We’re amidst the liner note and artwork/packaging phase now. In my humble opinion this is one of the most vibrant and authentic re-recordings of a classic film score as has been so far released. In tandem with Simon’s peerless contributions in the booth of this amazing new venue in Glasgow, the credit goes to William T. Stromberg for his bravura work on the podium and all those fabulous players of the RSNO that brought Tiomkin’s florid music to life. So there’s plenty of cool stuff coming up ahead.

From the above, I suspect the new recording of Dial M for Murder could be one of the December releases. Of the 2 Disney titles could it be  Lalo Schifrin's Return From Witch Mountain ? which Yavar seems to be sure from his deductions.  I have never seen the movie or heard it any form before-so my curiosity is peaked on that one since both Doug and Roger has hinted it being one of their most requested title. But honestly, I was wishing for Ron Godwins' One of Our Dinosaurs is Missing. 

2 hours ago, publicist said:

(though i guess at this point 'Hidalgo' is a more likely candidate)

I'd buy that. Especially since I don't own the original JNH album

It's one of the last full-blooded adventure scores, memorable americana main theme included, as well as fun Mummy-esque action music. My bootleg covers about 130 minutes of music.

39 minutes ago, publicist said:

It's one of the last full-blooded adventure scores, memorable americana main theme included, as well as fun Mummy-esque action music. My bootleg covers about 130 minutes of music.

Woah, Hidalgo has that much score? I remember loving the OST, is there some good unreleased stuff available via bootleg?

Definitely JNH at the top of his game.

I can't wait to hear Dial M For Murder. Tiomkin is my favorite Golden Age composer and I'm not familiar with this one at all.  It's also the first Stromberg full score recording in several years if I'm not mistaken.

4 minutes ago, publicist said:

Sure, the OST omits a whole lot of action and exotic stuff.

You find the playlist with the whole thing here: 

It could almost pass as a sister score to War Horse. They both have this lovely pastural quality to their main themes, certainly brought out the best in both composers.

4 hours ago, publicist said:

Willow!! (though i guess at this point 'Hidalgo' is a more likely candidate)

As you know, I'm not as big of a fan of JNH in general, especially in his big epic mode. There are very few scores of his I really really like and most of them come from Shyamalan films. But this is a pretty good one.

Karol