• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Roger says

Coming March 17th
Digital Only:

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8395

Doug says

3/14/2020

This coming week, we hope you’ll support our first foray into releasing a soundtrack in the digital-only format. Heavenquest: A Pilgrim’s Progress is an exciting new film with a robust, sweeping score by Jonathan Beard for a meld of orchestral soloists with synthesizers in epic fashion. Still devoted to the compact disc, we opted to make this score available only in the digital format to help promote smaller films featuring up-and-coming composers deserving a spotlight. Beard is one such talent to take note of. We’ll have sound samples and complete contents posted here this coming Monday eve.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8396

Just saw this post on their website and Facebook :

Due to the COVID-19 coronavirus, all non-essential businesses in Alameda Country have been ordered to shut down until April 7. While we all like to think of music as an incredibly essential thing in our lives, it's probably not what they have in mind. So unfortunately, Intrada will be closed temporarily. Online orders can still be placed during this time and we'll get to them when we can go back to work. Everybody please stay safe.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

You know thats a Varese vinyl that Intrada just happens to carry in their store right 

Nope.

The soundtrack for Sam Raimi's 1990's classic Army of Darkness film has been newly remastered by composer Joe LoDuca for the vinyl release available on Record Store Day and this Limited Edition CD.

Yea but it's a Varese title, Intrada has nothing to do with it, other than carrying it in their store like they do with all new Varese titles

https://www.varesesarabande.com/products/army-of-darkness

I love this score and am bummed Varese is only remastering the OST program instead of expanding the score to complete form (and that when Varese's website first listed this last week, the cover said JoSEPH LODUCA instead of JOSEPH LoDUCA.  They've fixed that since on the website, hopefully the printed booklets are right)

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yea but it's a Varese title, Intrada has nothing to do with it, other than carrying it in their store like they do with all new Varese titles

https://www.varesesarabande.com/products/army-of-darkness

I love this score and am bummed Varese is only remastering the OST program instead of expanding the score to complete form

Yeah I saw that that it said Varese, but I rarely visit that site to check up on any new titles/back in-stock.

They shipped me 2 cds with no bubble wrap once, one got cracked.  I try to not ever order from that site if I can.

Just now, Bellosh said:

Yeah I saw that that it said Varese

But posted the news to the Intrada thread anyway?

Good news from Intrada! 

UPDATE - Because Intrada is only a shipping operation with no direct contact with customers. we are allowed to continue operating the business on a reduced hour basis. Online orders can of course still be placed during this time and we'll continue to process them as we can. Everybody please stay safe. - Because Intrada is only a shipping operation with no direct contact with customers. we are allowed to continue operating the business on a reduced hour basis. Online orders can of course still be placed during this time and we'll continue to process them as we can. Everybody please stay safe.

Roger says

Coming March 24th?

With this pandemic, nothing's quite stable, but it's possible we'll be announcing the completely restored score for this:

90594704_10157309157637169_633759062313889965227_10157309157627169_1923230602178

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8402

If you've never heard of the movie:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morituri_(1965_film)

Doug says

3/21/2020

Jerry Goldsmith’s restored Morituri docks here next week, amidst the ever-evolving pandemic that cripples our nation and the world around us. While our release contains the same stereo contents as the previous release on FSM, the entire score has been remastered for improved audio and is lengthened - by one minute - to restore previous judicious trims and edits. We are maintaining reduced hours due to COVID-19 and local restrictions during the crisis but orders are welcome and will be filled as quickly as we are able. Artwork, contents and sound samples should be posted this coming Monday the 23rd. Everyone stay indoors as much as possible and be safe!

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8406

If you’re a Jerry completist you’ll want it. I spoke to Doug privately about this last year, and he told me basically that it would be a major improvement over the FSM. A lot of tech advances have occurred in audio restoration technology since those earliest FSM Fox titles, with the Rio Conchos restoration being the most dramatic improvement from the same sources (for Goldsmith at least...Kritzerland has done wonders with some Golden Age Fox titles too of course... Prince of Foxes probably most dramatically this past year).

It used to be that in cases of bad wow, pieces either had to be micro-edited to remove the bad moments, or tacked on as “bonus tracks” at the end (see Waxman’s Prince Valiant — now THAT classic Fox score really needs a modern restoration next!)

Morituri was a case of the former, where (as Doug mentioned in his column) about a minute had to be snipped out due to (at the time) unfixable sound issues. Now they can be fixed and we can have the whole thing in great sound!

I’d be lying if I said this was a favorite Goldsmith score of mine (not that I ever hated it; it just never clicked with me), but I do look forward to reassessing it now.

Yavar

12 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I’d be lying if I said this was a favorite Goldsmith score of mine, but I do look forward to reassessing it now.

Yavar

That whole minute will make all the difference!!!

;)

47 minutes ago, Fal J. M. Skywalker said:

That whole minute will make all the difference!!!
;)

Maybe not, but it’s more than was missing from Magic (admittedly a much greater score) when LLL expanded it! ;) And I still bought that when they put it on a $15 sale even though I had the perfectly fine Varèse.

More likely: I reassess the score thanks to the improved sound quality. The London Symphony Orchestra re-recording of Rio Conchos used to be my go-to for that score (and I still love that Intrada album, don’t get me wrong — especially because it’s still my favorite recording of The Artist Who Did Not Want to Paint, the companion score on the disc) but after Kritzerland reissued the complete original recording in sound quality drastically improved over the ancient FSM edition (one of their earliest CDs back in the late 90s), that became my new favorite. I rarely used to play the FSM edition because the sound was uninspiring (though I still cherish it for the far superior liner notes!)

51 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

The world really is turned upside down these days.  An obscure new Goldsmith expansion is announced and Yavar *isn't* claiming that it's secretly an essential score that we should all be falling over ourselves to order?!

I just honestly answer the Kondo question... don’t know if I’d call them “essential” but generally-much-derided scores like The Lonely Guy and S*P*Y*S fill me with joy, whereas Morituri never has. But if I fall in love with the new Intrada it certainly wouldn’t be the first time I reassessed a Goldsmith score for the better after getting a new edition!

Yavar

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like we'll getting two titles on the 21st.

April 7th Release

While it will be here in a day or two, we're going to hold it and announce it with our 4/21 release. With fewer days in the office right now, it's easy to get backed up so we'll present both together. Save you on shipping, too! I might even drop an Easter egg at some point. But I'll never tell.

Karol

• 2 weeks later...

^Wonder in what condition the sources are? Hope it's not like Peter Proud.

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

Legends of the Fall is a wonderful score.  I'm not sure if I need more, since the OST is already a bit repetitive.  I wouldn't call it too long, though.

I need to relisten to my DVD iso.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I hadn't either!  Turns out it's a Fox movie from 1963

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Take_Her,_She's_Mine

http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/title/19699/

I think it was actually Jerry’s *first* work for Fox! In the Varese Fox Box liner notes they claimed it was lost/unsalvageable. But maybe new tech and the magical Mattesino have managed to rescue it.

It sounds pretty darn good for a 1963 score that was supposedly lost, IMO. Roger shared the Main Title from the new master on the Intrada board:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ard10psremh5c72/Number 12.mp3?dl=0

Jerry Goldsmith does a Henry Mancini comedy score! (Actually this was also Jerry’s first ever comedy feature score, and very different from the Joe Dante ones later in his career.) It’s a lightweight bit of fluff, certainly, but it’s still identifiably Jerry and an exciting find.

Yavar

Great to finally see Legends of the Fall getting the expanded treatment! It's a wonderful score, probably Horner's masterpiece (not Titanic, lol).

I do have the bootleg with all the unreleased material not on the OST, it's about 15 minutes of music that will probably be on the expansion. Some highlights are:

• More music for the first act, with the letters and Susannah arriving at the station. Chronologically, it's between Legends of the Fall and The Ludlows.
  • Film Version of The Ludlows, including Henry Thomas' vocal performance of "Twilight and Mist" and a shorter ending.
  • Film Version of Off to War (a little inferior to the OST version, in my opinion)
  • Letters from the Front, a wonderful, sad cue played as Samuel writes for his fiancee from the war front.
  • Tristan Returns, not the one on the OST, but the one that plays as Brad Pitt returns from war. Includes the main themes, but it's not exactly different from what is already available on the OST.
  • The cue for the first time Tristan and Susannah have sex.
  • A dramatic cue for synths, snare drums and shakuhachi that plays before Farewell, when Tristan is trying to kill a bear.
  • A beautiful, sad cue that plays as Susannah visits Tristan on the prison. The material from the OST's Goodbyes is greatly expanded. Horner's music underscores Tristan's anger, and it's a great example of psychological scoring from him.
  • The music that plays after Susannah's death, with Alfred mourning her. It starts with some sad strings and it's followed by the main theme on fiddle.

3 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Jerry Goldsmith does a Henry Mancini comedy score! Actually It’s a lightweight bit of fluff, certainly, but it’s still identifiably Jerry and an exciting find.

Everyone and his dog morphed into Henry Mancini in the '60s it seems. Johnny Williams comedy scores from that era are a hoot!

OH MY GOD!!!!

Legends of the Fall is my most wanted Horner's expansion.

And I think it is top 3 of his best.

This is my Holy Grail!

I though it is not going to happen because of Sony's new policy. I am so happy that I was wrong!

This is a must have!

Now all I need is a expanded or reissue of The Land Before Time......

2 hours ago, ManofDestiny said:

OH MY GOD!!!!

Legends of the Fall is my most wanted Horner's expansion.

And I think it is top 3 of his best.

This is my Holy Grail!

I though it is not going to happen because of Sony's new policy. I am so happy that I was wrong!

This is a must have!

Now all I need is a expanded or reissue of The Land Before Time......

I'm intrigued - what's the OST missing?

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'm intrigued - what's the OST missing?

Look a few posts above! There is approximately 20 minutes of unreleased cues and add to it various alternates that could be included. A 2CD set would suffice with an average 50 minutes per disc. (There is no point in having a remastered OST as disc 2 plus it wont fit) 

4/16/2020

Two cool releases are on our April 21 docket. Pending limited business hours and non-essential freight deliveries, we look forward to offering for musical comfort the world premiere release of Jerry Goldsmith’s early comedic effort for Take Her, She’s Mine, a 1963 James Stewart movie for 20th Century Fox. Goldsmith fans convinced this one would never happen should be tickled! For James Horner’s audience, and the larger public that swooned over it, Legends Of The Fall arrives in a newly-remastered and expanded 2-CD set. I mention, just for fun, this score happens to be my own personal favorite Horner effort. More emotional themes than you can shake a stick at! Artwork, contents and sound samples for both releases should be available here this coming Monday eve. Stay safe!

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8425

Re: Take Her, She's Mine -- It seems that a bit of the score remained unsalvageable, but we still have gotten more ("nearly all") than we ever expected:
"There's only a handful of Goldsmith scores that have yet to be released in any form, and the music elements for this title were long thought damaged beyond use. But with advances in technology and the meticulous work of restoration expert Chris Malone, Intrada is able to present nearly all of Goldsmith's score in stereo. Malone had to restore the audio of each channel separately to get the wondrous results heard here. Rather than compromise the naturally wide instrumental spread, which was never intended for a stereo mix, Intrada also offers a mono presentation of the program as heard in the film."
http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8430

Purchase page with lots of samples: http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.12179/.f?sc=13&category=22848

Re: Legends of the Fall -- many more alternates and such than expected! Quite a packed 2-CD set:
http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.12172/.f?sc=13&category=22848

Yavar

I'm surprised we never had a thread for the Intrada edition of Chinatown.  Anyways,

Hi Roger,

Do you have a timeline on when Intrada might repress CHINATOWN?

Stay healthy!

Saul

It's being repressed as we speak. Should be in soon.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=82389#p82389

Chinatown and Roger Rabbit will be able to be ordered again tonight when The River goes live

5/2/2020

Staying safe continues to be the common greeting/parting these days. Let it continue to be. This coming Tuesday brings sheltered (and unsheltered) listeners another new Intrada release, and a great one it is. Alongside it are a pair of long out-of-stock titles. New is the expanded (by 20 minutes) CD of John Williams’ evocative slice of Americana, 1984’s The River, starring Mel Gibson and Sissy Spacek. Mark Rydell directed, reuniting with Williams after The Reivers, The Cowboys and Cinderella Liberty. Returning to our shelves and perhaps landing on yours as well are two of Intrada’s best-selling expanded editions: Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Chinatown, both top drawer scores by respectively Alan Silvestri and Jerry Goldsmith. Visit us here on Tuesday the 5th and order one, two or maybe even all three of the releases. You’ll be happy you did. Yep… and stay safe.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8451

• 4 weeks later...

I just hope it was done by a competent producer who didn't eff it up.  Intrada's history is spotty in this regard.  Horner expansions are usually done by Bulk and/or Matessino, right?  I hope Willow gets one or both of them.