The Official Intrada Thread

Trent B

4 hours ago, Jay said:

According to Doug's Corner, in addition to Ivanhoe tonight, some Temporarily Out Of Stock titles will have new stock available tonight as well

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8614

Legends of the Fall and Monsignor are back in stock !! 

3 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

The concert piece is nice, as is Regaining a Son. I could barely tell you what the rest of the score sounds like though.

Lots of Gamelan ;)

I think there's a quite a bit of unreleased music in it, though. Off the top of my head, I remember a sweeping renditon of the Tibet/Dalai Lama theme when Harrer first reaches Tibet. And being such a soloist centered score, there might be significant alternates

10 minutes ago, publicist said:

Like The Last Castle it's one of those desperation releases. There's hardly anything else left.

The Last Castle was missing like two fifths of the score. Unless you're saying the score itself is some bottom of the barrel shit musically, which seems harsh to say the least. We played almost entirely unreleased music in this half hour podcast, and it's all excellent stuff IMO:
https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/6119113-odyssey-soundtrack-spotlight-the-last-castle-2001

spotlight_the_last_castle.jpg

And it's also not bottom of the barrel stuff for Doug Fake. He called it "rich and rewarding" back in 2001 when it came out -- see his Doug's Corner post on this archive page: http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=69

What's not to like, exactly?

Yavar

19 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Well, "rich and rewarding" is typical PR talk.

Those old Doug's Corners are not PR fluff, and this wasn't an Intrada album at the time. Read his whole post from 2001:

First, a word of caution. When playing this album, remember RAMBO III came and went some time ago.

Cryptic? Okay, I'll explain.

THE LAST CASTLE is a strong score, but Jerry Goldsmith wrote his primary melodic idea several years ago. In fact, it was originally the motif that accompanied Rambo into Afghanistan on his third trip to the big screen.

It's hard to ignore this. Goldsmith harmonizes it with fourths and fifths, as in Rambo III. He plays it on trumpet and French horn, also like Rambo III. At least the setting in THE LAST CASTLE is peacetime.

Well, sort of.

The movie opened just days after September 11, 2001. The original marketing campaign of an upside American flag was jettisoned in favor of head shots and helicopters. It didn't matter. People had a war to follow. A movie about flags just didn't matter right now.

Too bad. They missed an okay movie, terrific performance, solid score.

Actually, part of the problem may have been the movie itself. Robert Redford is a tarnished general now serving time in "The Last Castle". Fallen hero, that kind of thing. He crosses paths with mean James Gandolfini (the "warden"), mingles with prisoners, incites the inevitable riot.

Gandolfini isn't really bad enough to despise. Guards are mostly soldiers doing their duty, prisoners are so decent you forget they're guilty of anything. Something seems out of whack.

There's a great flag scene, however.

Maybe in another time.

Interestingly, the movie can be seen as something of a game. Chess. The title refers to a locale, a building. It also refers to an important chess move. The game even plays a part in the movie. Ultimately, Redford sends in his pawns, knights, bishops to do battle with Gandolfini's team. Checkmate for real.

Jerry Goldsmith saw more here. Inspired playing by Robert Redford, expressive shots of the flag, courage, heroes, the military. Stuff he draws from like no other composer in movies.

His main theme features trumpet. It's been his solo instrument of choice in military movies for decades. All three Rambo movies contain lengthy trumpet solos. IN HARM'S WAY has some strong ones, ditto MacARTHUR, THE WIND AND THE LION, CAPRICORN ONE, A GATHERING OF EAGLES, many others. For THE LAST CASTLE, trumpet player Malcolm McNab even receives credit on screen. His sound is warm, emotional. Note worthy. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

The main theme ("The Castle") plays in C minor. Basses are firm, harmonies are sparse. Nothing gets in the way. It's all about trumpet. No other instrument better taps into the feel of heroic figures standing alone. The main idea is a triadic figure outlining a minor chord. Extensions of the idea raise the emotional level, but it all keeps returning back to basics. The triadic figure. Goldsmith adds strings, French horn, snare drum, but nothing big nor demanding. Solitary mood prevails.

"Irwin Arrives" follows a similar path. Redford arrives, the chess pieces are assembled.

A high point in the drama occurs with Gandolfini punishing Redford, requiring him to carry large rocks. It's designed to break his spirit. Since it's Robert Redford this doesn't happen. The fallen hero moves the rocks, lifts them, stacks them. He also gains respect from the other prisoners. The game is underway.

Goldsmith follows all this activity but places his emphasis on the primary motif. While acknowledging there is action, Goldsmith chooses to focus on the fallen general now rising upwards. The tone starts in solemn manner, grows in intensity, finally emerges triumphant. A turning point in the story, Goldsmith mirrors it with a bold new idea, first in low brass, then upper brass.

Most of the full-blooded action occurs late in the movie. The riot. Goldsmith sets the stage for clashing forces with "The Count Down". Bursts of rhythmic activity in French horn, percussion give way eventually to strong quotes of the primary triadic figure. No longer suppressed nor solitary, the idea moves through brass over pounding rhythms. Ascending triad-like arpeggios in trumpets color the excitement. Everything moves directly into "Hold Them", at which point Goldsmith makes clear the original solitary motif has grown in stature, size.

In the strongest visual moment on screen, Gandolfini stares down at the battle. Close-up of glasses, determined looks. The challenge is on. Goldsmith mirrors the idea with relish during "Taking Command". With a virtuoso double-tonguing figure in French horn and trumpet, armies charge. The primary motif jockeys with a jagged, open fifth motif in low brass. Percussion pound. It's total war.

Without spoiling the finish, suffice there's a flag. The stars and stripes, the red, white and blue. Goldsmith tips his hat, calls the cue "The Flag". Amidst some suspense, he corrals his main material. Harmonies now grow in weight. The main triadic idea returns on trumpet. This time however, orchestra joins in, everything crescendos. At the climactic moment, with a crash of cymbals, the music peaks in splendid manner. Interestingly, at the height of this climax, Goldsmith draws not from his main theme but rather the ascending arpeggios from earlier action music. Here the idea becomes a stirring motif for unison French horns cutting through the entire orchestra.

Goldsmith closes the score with a reprise of his main theme in full, calling it "September 11, 2001".

Make sure you stop the disc here. A "work song" of sorts by Dean Hall otherwise shatters the mood.

An odd note regarding audio. Bruce Botnick recorded, mixed, mastered. He possibly boo-booed. Snippets of flutter seem to plague horn, trumpet spots. Anomalies occur, as with the similarly tainted mastering of THE EDGE.

Flaws aside, the score is rich and rewarding.

Music for heroes.

The old album is more than sufficient for the musical content on display, even if a rabid fan naturally will never agree with such statement., Missing 50 second cues and very light variations on material already released (plus a cue not by Goldsmith that gets too much credit for just being long) are not good reasons to re-release such a muted affair. I bought it just because of Covid-vibes.

On 12/1/2020 at 11:44 PM, Yavar Moradi said:

We played almost entirely unreleased music in this half hour podcast, and it's all excellent stuff IMO:
https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/6119113-odyssey-soundtrack-spotlight-the-last-castle-2001

Yavar

Yavar, have you done any other spotlight podcasts on expanded Jerry scores?

7 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Yavar, have you done any other spotlight podcasts on expanded Jerry scores?

Expanded? No. Premieres? Yes. The very first Odyssey Soundtrack Spotlight was for The Don Is Dead:

http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/5097955-odyssey-soundtrack-spotlight-the-don-is-dead-1973

And stay tuned because within a week we’ll be releasing a very belated one on Intrada’s first Goldsmith premiere this year: Take Her, She’s Mine. And we got John Takis, Chris Malone, and (for the first time) Mike Mattesino as guests on it!

I’ve been really bad about updating the podcast thread this year, but you can always see what we’ve been up to at www.goldsmithodyssey.com.

Yavar

13 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Hey Intrada, what about The Boys from Brazil? That one has been OOP for a much longer time now.

My bet is that Inchon is a stripped down 1 CD release without the OST.

I think its probably a newly restored and remastered multi disc set from better quality tapes or possibly redone from scratch. The original recording had some sound issues. Intrada probably figured out a way to present it again. If it was the same pressing they would have announced it as a reprint. 

Anyways Im curious. 

The latest Doug's Corner

12/10/2020

In addition to a pair of new releases scheduled for this month, we have put a lot of attention into re-pressings of numerous best-sellers from our catalog that have been out of stock for while, awaiting studio clearances and licensing extensions. If you’ve been amongst those waiting for the following titles to be replenished, your wait is over: Alien, Back To The Future, Back To The Future Part II, Legends Of The Fall, Monsignor, First Blood, Rambo: First Blood Part II, Rambo III, An American Tail, Hoosiers, Robin Hood: Prince Of Thieves and Take Her She’s Mine. A lot of terrific scores back in stock!

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8621

Wow, Intrada's loyalty program is fantastic!  I hadn't really paid much attention to it since they rolled it out, but apparently I've just been collecting points since I always order Intrada titles directly from Intrada.

My order of Inchon, Last Castle, Robin Hood, and Land Before Time came to $116.96, but then cashing in my Loyalty Points took off $78.63, for a final total of $49.08 (after adding in shipping).  Pretty damn awesome for doing nothing but buying titles I would have bought anyway.

Fantastic program you have here, Intrada!  Keep up the good work!

Very interesting.  So Intrada had/negotiated digital rights for certain scores?  Looks like Varese did the same recently too (although the ones I didn't have and wanted - deluxe ST and ST3 - are streaming only and non-downloadable).  Is this potentially a turning point for our labels?

I don't think so.  The Varese ones are just stuff they own perpetuity rights to, not anything they had to co-license from a label that released an OST album - and it looks like Intrada is mostly the same.

If you look at the dates under each title on that page, these weren't just added recently, they've been there all along.  I just learned about them today

They might not own the rights forever, but they released the original OST albums, right?  So there was no co-licensing, they only had to work with the film studio.  Same with all the other stuff they have up digitally now like Volcano or Outbreak or HTTD, etc.

Something that they gave an an expansion to after some major label released the OST like Dracula or The Omen, those aren't up digitally.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2020 at 11:27 AM, Jay said:

Wow, Intrada's loyalty program is fantastic!  I hadn't really paid much attention to it since they rolled it out, but apparently I've just been collecting points since I always order Intrada titles directly from Intrada.

My order of Inchon, Last Castle, Robin Hood, and Land Before Time came to $116.96, but then cashing in my Loyalty Points took off $78.63, for a final total of $49.08 (after adding in shipping).  Pretty damn awesome for doing nothing but buying titles I would have bought anyway.

Fantastic program you have here, Intrada!  Keep up the good work!

These arrived today!  At first I thought they mailed me some extra titles because the pile was so large, before I remembered that Inchon and Robin Hood are double-sized cases!

Can't wait to dig into these!

• 2 weeks later...

Deletions_20210119.jpg

VIRTUOSITY

Christopher Young

AVAILABLE UNTIL JANUARY 19 OR WHILE SUPPLIES LAST

Price: $19.99

DOWNHILL RACER

Kenyon Hopkins

AVAILABLE UNTIL JANUARY 19 OR WHILE SUPPLIES LAST

Price: $19.99

DORA AND THE LOST CITY OF GOLD