The Official Intrada Thread

Trent B

2 hours ago, publicist said:

It's either Capricorn One or Night Crossing then, two Intrada mainstays (+ DF favourites) and fitting the description.

The Boys from Brazil? These Intrada re-releases should at least take fair turns.

Or maybe it's the long-awaited Inchon reissue. I mean, it's OOP.

They've been discussed in their threads in their time, will it suffice if I say they don't exactly have the same attention detail in editing and mixing as, say, a Matessino production?

11 minutes ago, Holko said:

They've been discussed in their threads in their time, will it suffice if I say they don't exactly have the same attention detail in editing and mixing as, say, a Matessino production?

Can you summarize the high level?  I remember there were complaints about Bruce Botnik's mix on The Mummy, but that didn't have much to do with Doug. He would have likely mixed it regardless of label that released it.

I can pick some individual examples like Night Boarders where possibly a performance edit was solved with a long crossfade and the music just starts phasing with itself. Or the last minute or so of Camel Race and its scratching in the right channel - if it's the source that was damaged, the undamaged album master is right there to grab it from, even included on Disc 2. Helpful that it has Night Boarders too to replace the phasing version with.

Or My First Bus Ride, for which the intended performance edits were not recreated, and one take with a not very pleasant flub was put in the main program and the other which was used to patch it up for the final film version put in the alternates. Or that the later recorded cues sound worse and narrower than the bootleg.

Just generally, making these mistakes and overlooking them could seem somewhat amateurish when compared to the slew of (on average) better done specialty releases coming out nowadays.

As much as I love Intrada, Mummy Returns is a botched job. Even cues from the Decca, i. e. 'Scorpion Shoes' sound like the stereo field was narrowed down by 40% on the new release (exemplified by the short 'Canyon Deluge', which was probably from the LA sessions, but also features this strange anomaly).

Whoever worked on this stuff should have noticed these obvious quality drops and at least addressed them.

11 minutes ago, Holko said:

I can pick some individual examples like Night Boarders where possibly a performance edit was solved with a long crossfade and the music just starts phasing with itself. Or the last minute or so of Camel Race and its scratching in the right channel - if it's the source that was damaged, the undamaged album master is right there to grab it from, even included on Disc 2. Helpful that it has Night Boarders too to replace the phasing version with.

Or My First Bus Ride, for which the intended performance edits were not recreated, and one take with a not very pleasant flub was put in the main program and the other which was used to patch it up for the final film version put in the alternates. Or that the later recorded cues sound worse and narrower than the bootleg.

Just generally, making these mistakes and overlooking them could seem somewhat amateurish when compared to the slew of (on average) better done specialty releases coming out nowadays.

I would need to check these to see what is up. Remember the mixes on the Decca album and the complete sessions were quite different so mixing and matching might be jarring. But largely, I haven't heard of any issues with Land Before Time, Psycho III, Last Castle, Species II so it seems like Mummy might be a corner case so not sure why you'd throw Doug under the bus for everything. 

2 minutes ago, publicist said:

As much as I love Intrada, Mummy Returns is a botched job. Even cues from the Decca, i. e. 'Scorpion Shoes' sound like the stereo field was narrowed down by 40% on the new release (exemplified by the short 'Canyon Deluge', which was probably from the LA sessions, but also features this strange anomaly).

Whoever worked on this stuff should have noticed these obvious quality drops and at least addressed them.

Which is odd, these were the mixes Silvestri provided - so no remixing was done -- but I will check as I don't recall it sounding mono, which is what your note seems to imply. 

I've only heard Land Before Time out of those and that does have that one terrible edit that was in the finalised performance edits source, that wasn't fixed by going back to the multitracks we know were available because... it wasn't. Oh, and that missing insert for which new copies had to be pressed.

4 minutes ago, Roger said:

Which is odd, these were the mixes Silvestri provided - so no remixing was done -- but I will check as I don't recall it sounding mono, which is what your note seems to imply. 

I'm sure there was some mixup involved, but listen to 'Canyon Deluge' or the whole final battle cues under headphones and compare it with the first cue of the score and you will notice a strange narrowing of the stereo spread. 

The only thing I ever noticed with Returns was how distant the final battle cues sound, but given that they sound exactly the same on the boot, I've assumed since that the original recording wasn't very good. They don't sound mono, but, there's something very flat and distant about the sound, compared to the rest of the score.

4 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

The only thing I ever noticed with Returns was how distant the final battle cues sound, but given that they sound exactly the same on the boot, I've assumed since that the original recording wasn't very good. They don't sound mono, but, there's something very flat and distant about the sound, compared to the rest of the score.

Yes the only way around this would be to rerecord the cues. The recording is the recording. I'm a little confused because you say it sounds the same as the boot, but above Holko says it sounds worse. 

10 minutes ago, Holko said:

I've only heard Land Before Time out of those and that does have that one terrible edit that was in the finalised performance edits source, that wasn't fixed by going back to the multitracks we know were available because... it wasn't. Oh, and that missing insert for which new copies had to be pressed.

I'm not following you. The required edit wasn't documented but was fixed anyway and sounds fine. So what is the issue?

23 minutes ago, Holko said:

The insert was fixed after the listeners who already bought it noticed it for the producer. The edit I mentioned is a bad harsh performance edit in another track I think.

All labels make errors that get through.  Lalaland most recently on Karate Kid II, BSX with T-Rex...Quartet with the channels reversed on Awakening...I think you underestimate the complexity of what it takes to get these projects out. Again, I would still trust all these labels to produce great albums as well as make fixes when something pops up. It's all good. So again, bashing one producer is extreme and I think unreasonable. 

You also run into the very natural problem that you can't be as familiar with minutiae details of all the scores you put out as hardcore fans. For the record, even I, being familiar enough with Land Before Time, wouldn't have noticed the muted horn line in the first cue without it being pointed to me, so I would have released the same cue as Intrada. 

49 minutes ago, Roger said:

Yes the only way around this would be to rerecord the cues. The recording is the recording. I'm a little confused because you say it sounds the same as the boot, but above Holko says it sounds worse. 

Probably a bit subjective, but I don't really hear a difference. * shrug *

And yep - the recording is what it is - not a lot can be done about that. They just sound a bit 'muddier' and lack the crispness of the rest of the score, but evidently something must've been done different during the recording. Oh well :) 

I think it's very fun that we got clues for this title instead of going from nothing to suddenly seeing the cover art a few days before we can buy it

I hope clues make a comeback in 2021!

3 hours ago, publicist said:

You also run into the very natural problem that you can't be as familiar with minutiae details of all the scores you put out as hardcore fans. For the record, even I, being familiar enough with Land Before Time, wouldn't have noticed the muted horn line in the first cue without it being pointed to me, so I would have released the same cue as Intrada. 

You gotta be a real nut to notice all this shit

I miss the clues from all the labels. I don't know why they stopped doing that :(

It added that bit of extra fun and anticipation to each upcoming expansion -- and we could all use a little more fun these days...

Looks like based on the FSM thread the title is most likely Frank De Vol's FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX (1965)

Also in the FSM thread, someone quoted Roger giving a list of composers they'll be releasing stuff from this year

Well nothing is predictable, but we're hoping for more stuff by DeVol, Kamen, Goldsmith, Eflman, Williams, Goldsmith, Bernstein, Folk, Goldsmith, Poledouris, Zimmer. But who knows...things change rapidly!

But where did that list originate from?  I've never seen it until now.

EDIT: Oh, I found it.  He posted that on Jan 30 to this thread

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?forumID=1&threadID=140317&archive=0

De Vol - probably Flight of the Phoenix I guess

Kamen - 3 Musketeers? Hudson Hawk? 101 Dalmations? Highlander?

Goldsmith - Endless possibilities, I'll just refer to this list

Elfman - Midnight Run? Nightbreed? Sommersby? Dead Presidents? To Die For? The Frighteners? Men In Black? A Simple Plan? Sleepy Hollow?

Bernstein - Elmer or Peter?  If Peter, Ewok scores?  If Elmer, I wouldn't know where to begin

Folk - No idea

Poledouris - Jungle Book finally? Les Misérables?

Zimmer - Bird on a Wire? Fools of Fortune? Pacific Heights? Toys? Cool Runnings? Radio Flyer?

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Elfman - Midnight Run? Nightbreed? Sommersby? Dead Presidents? To Die For? The Frighteners? Men In Black? A Simple Plan? Sleepy Hollow?

I'm in for anything.  I'd especially love to see some of those unreleased scores (or scores with only brief suites)...Back to School (film versions), Summer School, Hot to Trot, Dead Presidents, Freeway, Anywhere But Here, The Family Man, Do Not Disturb.

Don't know if there's anything to speak of beyond the few tracks on the  OST for Nacho Libre either, given the weird situation on that one...or Chicago, Notorious, American Hustle...

I'd also love to see the labels pick up the record companies' mantle and do a Music From a Darkened Theater vol 3 with some of Elfman's unreleased TV themes, commercials, rare bits and pieces...

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Huh, they put 40 minutes on the old FSM Patton CD.  Who knew there was enough recorded to need two discs!

New program plus original?

I can't imagine the producers of this set gave a toss about what the FSM guys did 2 decades ago when making their version