The Official Intrada Thread

Trent B

13 hours ago, Darth Wojo said:

I don't remember the belly dancers in that movie. 

A character hallucinates them, like a mirage.

13 hours ago, Jay said:

I can't imagine the producers of this set gave a toss about what the FSM guys did 2 decades ago when making their version

They might since it was Doug Fake who recommended the title to Lukas Kendall as a Patton pairing; it’s possible Doug even suggested/produced the program as he did sometimes for FSM at the time (I’d have to check the liner notes).

Yavar

Regardless, I'd assume the old FSM CD was a curated selection of highlights, and the new Intrada would be the complete score followed by bonus tracks. 

But I've never seen this movie and never heard this score so I'm just idly speculatin'

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Regardless, I'd assume the old FSM CD was a curated selection of highlights, and the new Intrada would be the complete score followed by bonus tracks. 

But I've never seen this movie and never heard this score so I'm just idly speculatin'

That’s correct Jay. As I indicated, it was selected as the “bonus” pairing for Patton at the time and of course they were going to make Patton complete so it was just how much space remained on the disc for them to fit this. Now it’s on its own it can be the complete score. Jeff Bond recently wrote the following fascinating story in the FSM thread about this:

I'm excited about this and it's definitely my favorite DeVol score too--I remember it was agonizing throwing out cues when we were trying to squeeze it on a CD with Patton. At one point Nick Redman was determined that we should not use the cue that plays as they start the engine of the rebuilt plane near the climax of the movie and I remember saying to Nick, "I will pay you five dollars if we can keep this cue." At this point of course I was little more than a flunkie without the awesome power and influence I wield today so it was a real act of bravery on my part. 
There's a wonderful, melancholy theme that was barely hinted at on the FSM release but which gets much more play in tragic moments in the movie (and I'm sure someone addressed this but the belly dancer is a fevered hallucination or memory of one of the characters who's wounded and dying). Can't wait to get this!

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=142904&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=4&r=619#bottom

I’m really excited at the prospect of more of the melancholy theme he refers to.

Yavar

Finally some light at the end of the tunnel!!!

Update from Doug on Flight of the Phoenix and MORE!!

The Flight Of The Phoenix lands this coming Tuesday, February 23rd. Thanks to veteran composer Frank DeVol, the once-crashed aircraft flies again in a fully-restored 2-CD edition. They don’t write main titles like this anymore. Also in good fortune, clearance activity for several projects is finally getting back underway after the virus kept doors mostly closed for nearly a year. So pipeline projects may soon be once again emerging. In fact, our next release in a couple of weeks should prove to be a most welcome surprise for many fans. Stay tuned.

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/sc.13/category.60330/.f

7 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

But what we'll get is Hook...

I would prefer a LLL edition but I'll never complain if Intrada do it. ;)

2 minutes ago, crumbs said:

IThere'd be way more hype methinks. And we've been told for about 5 years that those would only come from Disney Records.

But I want them now......:crymore:

TBH Doug calls this mystery title "a most welcome surprise" which to me indicates a title that fans expected wasn't possible, not a score they already talked about working on like Willow.

So it's probably some old Goldsmith score that the elements were thought to be lost for, I'd wager.

3 minutes ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

But I want them now......:crymore:

Intrada: Can we release expanded SW scores?

Disney: No, we will do that ourselves.

Intrada: That means they will get a release?

Disney: No.

Update from Roger:

Actually I need to correct Doug -- our next release isn't the one he's thinking of but the one after that in about a month.

So March 9 = Kamen, if Roger's composer list is in order

March 23 = "a welcome surprise" Goldsmith, if Roger's composer list is in order

Here's a reminder of Roger's composer list again:

Well nothing is predictable, but we're hoping for more stuff by DeVol, Kamen, Goldsmith, Eflman, Williams, Goldsmith, Bernstein, Folk, Goldsmith, Poledouris, Zimmer. But who knows...things change rapidly!

If the "welcome surprise" is Elfman, Williams, Bernstein, Poledouris, or Zimmer instead of Goldsmith, I wonder what they could be?

An FSMer pointed out that maybe it's Conan The Destroyer by Poledouris - so long-delayed at this point, it would indeed be "a welcome surprise"

However, another FSMer pointed out it is most likely "Public Eye" by Goldsmith

FWIW they recently said the AFM wouldn't grant an exception for Avatar, despite all other parties ticking it off.

Seems a bit silly on the part of the AFM, considering the sessions leaked and musicians got no benefit from that.

Roger just told us last week that Avatar is not possible for them to do until the post-2005 union fees thingy changes

MV any chance on a complete release for Horner's 2009 Avatar?

Intrada tried to release this a few years ago, but got rejected on account of it being too recent.

Correct...the project was cleared by both Fox and WMG, but the AFM policy doesn't allow for these collector release for anything recorded after August 2005. It's stalled a bunch of projects actually. If the policy changes we'll be able to proceed.

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?forumID=1&pageID=200&threadID=118900&archive=0

Plus, Horner wasn't on his composer list.

8 hours ago, crumbs said:

FWIW they recently said the AFM wouldn't grant an exception for Avatar, despite all other parties ticking it off.

Seems a bit silly on the part of the AFM, considering the sessions leaked and musicians got no benefit from that.

Feels like we need a voice from the AFM side to provide an argument for this issue. They can't surely be this stubborn without a good reason.

2 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Feels like we need a voice from the AFM side to provide an argument for this issue. They can't surely be this stubborn without a good reason.

Presumably any change to the policy requires a member vote, with a simple majority in favour of the change.

I don't understand why they won't set a quantity limit like the previous agreement (5000 units) to differentiate between smaller releases from boutique labels (who barely break even on their releases), vs usage of the music from studios/big labels who can afford the fees and reap much larger profits from digital/streaming platforms.

They need to pull their heads in. Anyone who cares enough to buy an Avatar expansion already acquired the sessions for free. Denying Intrada a waiver to produce a legitimate release only denies their members any recognition or financial benefit for their work. No label can afford these exorbitant fees, so all they've done is price themselves out of an incredibly niche market. It's utter madness.

22 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Because they go out of stock the moment you decide to do a purchase.

That's so true.

Me in four month: "alright I buy Apollo 13 today now the ones I wanted more are gone or already buy"

Intrada: Apollo 13 (Sold Out)

Me: Crying GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

2 hours ago, Jay said:

This is an expensive hobby we have.

That's what I used to think. Then, when the relevant (to me) new releases and re-releases/expansions/remasters finally began to slow down a few years ago, I got hooked on LEGO…

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Collecting LEGO is more expensive than collecting soundtracks?

Of course!

The sets are expensive, the boxes are large, and you need space to build, display, and play with the models. 

Thats why I exercise great restraint when buying sets.