The Official Intrada Thread

Trent B

10 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

I own three Horner scores on CD and somehow I am fine with that. Krull, Aliens, Titanic.

Never felt the need to extend that collection.

Except for Krull extremely disposable. Horner's talents lay elsewhere.

45 minutes ago, publicist said:

Except for Krull extremely disposable. Horner's talents lay elsewhere.

Maybe. But you have to focus somewhere. I followed Horner sometimes with more attention, sometimes with less since the 80s, but he didn't manage to really get me musically. Last time, that I thought, that might be something for my collection was A Beautiful Mind. But then I was so disappointed by Avatar. 

Call it a gut feeling, but for me Horner film music is that kind that pretends to be bigger than it actually is. I know, this is highly subjective. And there are other composers alike, that I actually enjoy being cheated by in that way and by others not. It is like it is.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Tell that to @Thor! :D

He knows. 

But since Thor and I have opposite oppinions on almost any film score, why should Avatar be an exception?

Since I am not a journalist, I can affort to have a quite specific and limited taste in filmmusic. :)

3 hours ago, publicist said:

So what you describe as 'bigger than it is' is really a reflection on commercial Hollywood movies of that era: streamlined, afraid of controversy, hungry for worldwide success (which mandated less and less rough edges, but an excess of audience-friendly sugarcoating). I love some his scores from that era, but i get sick when i hear them in combination with the movies they are associated with (the animation scores and the occasional Sneakers excepted).

Thanks a lot for that summary on Horner. Reflects to a good degree my vague impression.

My issue, in addition, a thought I had recently, when I explored Williams' score for The Eiger Sanction, where in even short cues with a dedicated theme for one particular scene Williams elaborated the track with numerous variations, playing around with it, modulations, changes of key and instruments or even ensembles. 

And then I listen to for example Aliens, and there are various cues that contain exactly one musical idea that does not change or vary, which is ok, if it fits to the scene. But then you hear that same cue with the exact same idea in varios other movies... Latest then I think, this is kind of lame.

Mentally thumbing through my Horner collection, his drama scores are generally the ones I like least.

My horner favourites are Honey I Shrunk the KidsDeep ImpactThe Life Before Her Eyes, House of Sand and Fog, Apollo 13, Avatar and The Magnificent Seven (although Franglen is likely more responsible for that). Apart from Life Before... and House of..., the rest have some other element that gives them action or propulsion, or moving between storylines/locations enough to give some colour to the score.

I find that most of the time, when given material with long stretches of character material, there are maybe a handful of cues that showcase his themes and primary ideas, but the rest of it just either ends up being variations on that material, or into meandering territory.

I have 'handfuls' of cues from many Horner scores - far too many to list here. In each case, the full album is way too much and doesn't sustain interest, but there are perhaps 10-15 mins of highlights, either showcasing his themes, or just a handful of ideas that stuck out at me.

I wonder, if Horner would fit well into todays superhero blockbuster landscape.

But if 30 years ago someone would have asked me the same about Danny Elfman and Alan Silvestry I would proabably have said, no, even though Elfman had there already done Batman. But that was a very cartoonish film compared to nowadays.

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

I wonder, if Horner would fit well into todays superhero blockbuster landscape.

The writing was kind of on the wall that he wasn't going to.

6 hours ago, publicist said:

Horner's career phases roughly went like this:

- 1980 - 1986: highly ambitious young whiz with excellent academic credentials who was hungry for diverse work

- 1986 - 1994: alignment towards more commercial fare and emotionally straightforward writing, with a beginning penchant for self-citation 

- 1994 - 2003: his most successful phase, where he cribbed himself and his temp tracks like there was no tomorrow and, last but not least, a slick, manipulative *fairy tale* style that treated even real-world narratives as if he were scoring myth (Titanic, Legends of the Fall, Braveheart, Apollo 13 and Perfect Storm attest to that), he must have been on to something, it's the period when many people fell in love with him

2003 - 2015: the comedown, with his over-emotive style being more and more out of sync with current trends, thus a return to less grandiose and showy approaches that only occasionally generated much interest

So what you describe as 'bigger than it is' is really a reflection on commercial Hollywood movies of that era: streamlined, afraid of controversy, hungry for worldwide success (which mandated less and less rough edges, but an excess of audience-friendly sugarcoating). I love some his scores from that era, but i get sick when i hear them in combination with the movies they are associated with (the animation scores and the occasional Sneakers excepted).

Makes me understand, why I am not a big fan of Horner. I should revisit his early works, I guess.

Can you sum up Elfman's career in the same way?

I sneaked into some Horner scores now on Spotify and what caught my attention was Brainstorm (except for the parts, that sounded like Aliens), Cocoon and Apokalypto. But still no reason to extend my collection.

11 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I sneaked into some Horner scores now on Spotify and what caught my attention was Brainstorm (except for the parts, that sounded like Aliens), Cocoon and Apokalypto. But still no reason to extend my collection.

My favourite Horner soundtrack is Swing Kids. Horner's music is not very interesting - I bought it for the great big band re-recordings.

14 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Can you sum up Elfman's career in the same way?

Not really, Elfman's repertoire of interest is much smaller. For him i might say that his ability grew a lot after the late 90's, but it didn't translate in a lot of good scores. I gave up on him after 'Corpse Bride', though Wolf Man, Alice in Wonderland and the concert works deserve honourable mentions.

Update on Intrada from Roger Fiegelson on the final releases for 2021:

Most likely there will be three releases on Dec 7th and that will be it for the year. If it pans out, we'll have one expanded reissue, one release to a contemporary film by a popular composer, and a 4-CD set -- a reissue of sorts, but now with more music plus the LP recording as well. Also part of the score was in split mono before and now thanks to new elements will be in true stereo.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8805

1 hour ago, Amer said:

and a 4-CD set -- a reissue of sorts, but now with more music plus the LP recording as well. Also part of the score was in split mono before and now thanks to new elements will be in true stereo.

Could this one be Masada perhaps?

For the contemporary film Solo would be the best possiblity

Another fav would be Cruella although I think Disney Records would more likely it. Bu ad they haven't done it yet why not?

And finally it could be Free Guy which as still no release if I recall correctly

All that for the Disney related I'm sure there's lot of other stuff

For the 4-CD set I cross my fingers for a reissue of Tom Sawyer and for the expansion well The Patriot is on the top of my wish

In any case I can't wait to discover their surprises!

On 20/10/2021 at 8:36 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

After those seven days had passed, Intrada clearly had some copies left that's currently being sold for the same price on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00IIC1WWM/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've started listening to the Bernstein's AVA collection. So far I've only listened to the disc that contains To Kill a Mockingbird, and while the sound quality in general is satisfactory, I'm disappointed with the sound quality of the piano in some of the tracks.

4 hours ago, crocodile said:

Could be Jungle Cruise

Feels most plausible to me - it's recent enough that many people won't have bought it yet (especially the FSM 'no CD = no sale' brigade), and Roger did mention they were looking into it.

The term 'expanded reissue' is a little ambiguous for me - a score that's being reissued as a newly expanded version, or a reissue of a previously released expansion? Checking back a few pages, Roger's list leaves Zimmer, Folk and Poledouris.

one expanded reissue,

This must be referring to Robert Folk's TOY SOLDIERS.  Intrada premiered this on CD in 1991 in a 65 minute program.  Robert Folk was on Roger's January composer list, and Robert Folk posted on Facebook that Intrada was reissuing this score in expanded form.

one release to a contemporary film by a popular composer,

There's so many possibilities for this, depending on how far backwards you go to still be "contemporary" and how Roger defines "popular"

2018 - Black Panther (Göransson), Solo (Powell, physical debut of the currently digital-only Deluxe Edition), Ant-man and the Wasp (Beck)

2019 - Jojo Rabbit (Giacchino)

2020 - Dolittle (Elfman), An American Pickle (Giacchino & Melumad), The Witches (Silvestri), Let Him Go (Giacchino), Jingle Jangle (Debney)

2021 - Locked Down (Powell), The Little Things (Newman), Raya and the Last Dragon (Howard), The Woman in the Window (Elfman), Those Who Wish Me Dead (Tyler), Jungle Cruise (Howard), Clifford the Big Red Dog (Debney), Home Sweet Home Alone (Debney), The Unforgivable (Zimmer)

etc

Intrada's last few contemporary score releases were Call of The Wild (Powell), The Croods 2 (Mothersbaugh), The Haunting of Bly Manor (The Newton Brothers), Crawl (Max Aruj and Steffen Thum), Happy Death Day 2U (Bear McCreary), Ma (Gregory Tripi), and Backdraft II (Edelman)

and a 4-CD set -- a reissue of sorts, but now with more music plus the LP recording as well. Also part of the score was in split mono before and now thanks to new elements will be in true stereo.

This could be so many different things...

15 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Could this one be Masada perhaps?

Roger's write-up for that indicates the previous 2CD set was both complete and entirely in stereo, so that doesn't seem likely - unless that blurb was wrong!

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

Intrada's last few contemporary score releases were The Croods 2 (Mothersbaugh), The Haunting of Bly Manor (The Newton Brothers), Crawl (Max Aruj and Steffen Thum), Happy Death Day 2U (Bear McCreary), Ma (Gregory Tripi), and Backdraft II (Edelman)

Call of the Wild!

The 4cd is very difficult to pinpoint?

lets think and intrada release that is a 3cd release, (or maybe 2cd? But How much new music could there be to fill a 3rd cd and not just beef up the LP cd) with added music and the lp (it has to be from a certain era if it had a LP release)

that had part of the score in mono. And famous composer which warrants a reissue

there could not be that many options…

1 minute ago, Luke Skywalker said:

The 4cd is very difficult to pinpoint?

lets think and intrada release that is a 3cd release, (or maybe 2cd? But How much new music could there be to fill a 3rd cd and not just beef up the LP cd) with added music and the lp (it has to be from a certain era if it had a LP release)

that had part of the score in mono. And famous composer which warrants a reissue

there could not be that many options…

I thought earlier about Tom Sawyer, Quartet did released it in mono so it's time for a stereo and I'm not sure that Quartet owns the rights perpetually

The 4CD set has piqued my interest greatly. I’m going to assume they issued it previously but it could have been from different label as well. 

I would love a new Twilight Zone set, but the old Silva one was already 4 CDs and there's a lot of music for the series still unreleased (including two Goldsmith scores) on album! I would have to think any new TZ release would either be smaller volumes (but a number of them), or a giant box set like Star Trek got, this being one of the few other older TV series iconic enough to sustain sales for such a mammoth set I suspect.

Also...was there ever a single Twilight Zone LP from the time of the show?

Yavar

I'm talking the TZ set from the eighties tv version INTRADA released a three disc version.

Pretty sure there was an LP released during its run.

Or

It could be THE BLACK STALLION including the LP of BLACK STALLION RETURNS?

Not a chance. That 80s TZ set was tragically one of Intrada’s worst selling releases, having its price slashed more than once in an attempt to get rid of all the copies they were stuck with. It was an amazing set with a ton of great music on it and I would have loved a follow up (which Roger expressed interest in doing if this one had sold well). Alas. Nobody is ever going to reissue that or do a follow up, I suspect. :( 

And no to my knowledge there was never an LP. Despite a few decent episodes that series was never iconic or successful as the original Twilight Zone was.

Yavar