The Official Intrada Thread

Trent B

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I'd love to see Becket for the Rosenthal, I'd buy that in a heartbeat

Alas Roger has said original sessions are lost and all that survives is the composer’s personal tape which they used to produce the Windermere promo.

Yavar

1 minute ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Alas Roger has said original sessions are lost and all that survives is the composer’s personal tape which they used to produce the Windermere promo.

Yavar

Damn!  It's all so random what gets good preservation and what doesn't!  I mean this was a major epic production by a big Hollywood studio, nominated for a barrel of Oscars (including score), and it still doesn't get properly saved.

16 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Lawrence of Arabia called.

He doesn't want to be part of your. BIG. PUSH?

But it's true. There are titles that you just can't imagine going missing where they knew right away that they had a big thing.

41 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Yavar

38 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Damn!  It's all so random what gets good preservation and what doesn't!  I mean this was a major epic production by a big Hollywood studio, nominated for a barrel of Oscars (including score), and it still doesn't get properly saved.

Less than an hour after I post this, I happen to click on a new interview with Coppola about restoring The Godfather and this is the opening of the interview lol

Becket is even also a Paramount movie!

image.png

• 2 weeks later...

New update from Doug at Intrada.net

https://store.intrada.com/s.nl/sc.13/category.60330/.f

We recorded the complete Jerry Goldsmith scores for both Black Patch (1957) and The Man (1972) just this last October with the Royal Scottish National Orchestra, and the album is being released this Tuesday, March the 8th. Wow! Recorded, mixed, edited, mastered, packaged, manufactured and now ready to ship to your door already! I think it is fair to say we’re getting pretty fast at this. William Stromberg tackled the conducting, Leigh Phillips prepared the scores and we utilized two different orchestras to get everything down: the former, Goldsmith’s very first theatrical film score, required a reasonably standard orchestra excepting Goldsmith wrote no trumpet parts, lending the resulting western music a more brooding, darker edge to it. The latter score utilized an orchestra that certainly had trumpets in full force but now dropped violins, placing violas as the senior upper string sonority. Black Patch is highlighted by an absolutely haunting central theme that underlines the romantic triangle in the story, made sadly moving because the three characters initially are friends rather than competitors and all three care about each other. Goldsmith got inside this aspect of the plot with his minor key theme, in a most tender fashion.

As for The Man, Goldsmith anchors his powerful score around a six-note motif with brass-led Americana flourishes, appropriate for Rod Serling’s take on the Irving Wallace fictional best-seller about the first African American president of the United States. In this brief but magnificent score, Goldsmith illuminates such iconic landmarks as the Lincoln Memorial, the White House and the presidential paintings in the Oval Office. It is fun to ponder the musical power of the Lincoln Memorial sequence, knowing Goldsmith tackled an almost identical dramatic moment in his later, highly celebrated sci-fi score for Logan’s Run.

Contents, artwork and sound samples will be posted here tomorrow evening. Orders will begin shipping on Tuesday. This is our second release made possible through our Kickstarter campaign, following Dimitri Tiomkin’s complex score written for Alfred Hitchcock’s 1954 thriller, Dial M For Murder. If listeners will continue supporting our ambitious but so-very-worthwhile efforts, a third project now in the early stages of pre-production will prove most exciting for sure!.

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, Jay said:

Didn't see this coming:

Roger says

"

Coming this March 22nd...

"

https://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8880

It's already on youtube synced to the movie with two different masterings

Cool. And random that I listened to the Roy Budd version today. So that’s a third (at least) score for this version of Phantom to go with Budd and Carl Davis. Be interesting to hear this one. 

Woah, those are strikingly different masterings in those videos. Is the second one synth and the first orchestra, or something like that? The speeds don't quite match in places - definitely sounds like different performances.

• 3 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Dr. Rick said:

@May the Force be with You The artwork was very well done, the only thing missing is a quote from the movie on the back cover in true Intrada style  ROTFLMAO

YEah that's something I have to add. It should be just over the movie credits which are to be rework

For real though today would be the usual day to announce their next title if they have something releasing on Tuesday, so maybe they don't

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8888

We won't have anything coming this Tuesday, but we have a few things happening on the 19th. Here's the scoop.

1. Just in time for Miklos Rozsas' 115th birthday is a 2-CD set of Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid:

2. Then just in time to celebrate Laurence Rosenthal for no reason in particular other than he always deserves it is a reissue of his brilliant score to Becket. Unbelievable that such a classic has not had a commercial release on CD before.

3. For those patiently (and I mean patiently) waiting for upgraded Julius Caesar discs, we'll have those in stock. Will be working on Ivanhoe and Extreme Prejudice next now that we've localized the issue causing those clicks.

4. Sand Pebbles will be back in stock. For those astute observers, everything will look the same except the volume number. Since the album was initially released so long ago we're in a better position to address some anomalies in the recording we couldn't previously. So there's wow removed among other things. Nothing to rush out an repurchase unless you were bothered by it. Perfection is a journey, not a destination

8 hours ago, Power Windows said:

Will be working on Ivanhoe and Extreme Prejudice next now that we've localized the issue causing those clicks.

Is there further insight into this? Happy to see that they've found a solution to this issue!

• 4 weeks later...
On 19/12/2021 at 12:19 PM, Jay said:

I think 2022 will be the year with the most amount of Williams releases in it, ever

So far through almost the first 1/3 of the year, we've had a whopping SIX major label albums/box sets released or announced

1. 01-21 The Complete Philips Recordings

2. 02-04 The Berlin Concert

3. 05-20 A Gathering Of Friends

4. 05-?? Obi-Wan Kenobi OST

5. 06-03 Violin Concerto No. 2 And Selected Film Themes

6. 11-?? The Fabelmans OST

As well as TWO new vinyl premieres

1. The Cowboys (2018 MM program)
  2. Hook (2012 DD program

Once our beloved specialty labels join the fray... yup I stand by my statement lol.  

It has been an excruciatingly long wait since the last specialty label JW release!  5 months and counting...

I have both Gathering of Friends and Violin Concerto on pre-order through Amazon but was really hoping for more expansion releases by now in 2022.  

On 19/12/2021 at 7:55 AM, Jay said:

Roger says

"Composer line up for 2022 (partial) And in no particular order: James Horner, Jerry Goldsmith, James Horner, Michael Kamen, Basil Poledouris, James Horner, Miklos Rozsa, John Williams, Alan Silvestri, Henry Mancini, Jay Chattaway. And hopefully more."

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8827

Might have missed some but so far I think these are the corresponding titles for each composer on that list:

• James Horner       48 HRS.
  • Jerry Goldsmith    BLACK PATCH/THE MAN
  • James Horner       ANOTHER 48 HRS.
  • Michael Kamen   
  • Basil Poledouris   
  • James Horner       JUMANJI
  • Miklos Rozsa         DEAD MEN DON'T WEAR PLAID
  • John Williams    
  • Alan Silvestri    
  • Henry Mancini    
  • Jay Chattaway   

On 26/04/2022 at 6:15 AM, Dr. Rick said:

It has been an excruciatingly long wait since the last specialty label JW release!  5 months and counting...

MM was probably tied up with the 4K ST:TMP remaster earlier this year, so maybe he couldn't devote as much time to expansions.

JW's also been extremely busy so maybe he hasn't had time to review or sign off anything.

After that initial composer list, he added these to it

On 23/02/2022 at 12:47 PM, Jay said:

Roger has added to the list:

"Let's throw Craig Safan and Laurence Rosenthal into the mix."

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8827&view=unread#unread

And now both is those are out

Roger says

"

At Intrada the week of the 9th

Just a couple of updates:

First, we should have replacement discs for Ivanhoe. So if you were annoyed by the clicks on this release, feel free to request a replacement disc.

Second, Last Starfighter will be back in stock. However, it's not the same. The packaging will be the same, the program will be the same, but the album number will be different. Under the theory that perfection is a journey, not a destination, we thought we could do a lot better. As you recall for the expanded release we sourced the multi-track masters rather than the 1/4" masters we used for the first edition. After careful examination, we decided the 1/4" has vastly superior sound. The brass is punchier and the recording crisper overall. The "new" source we had used previously was a bit...mushier. So we've reverted to the 1/4" masters and did a high res transfer to work from. It's never sounded better.

"

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8906

I dislike my own compulsion to have to buy for sonic improvement.  I've no complaints on the previous edition, and could've been happy calling that one "done" for the rest of my years.  Yet, here I am experiencing FOMO that the new one will sound that much better.

I guess the previous edition was (The Next to) The Last Starfighter.  Is this one truly The (Last) Last Starfighter?