The Official Intrada Thread

Trent B

As soon as his wife mentioned him being autistic it all made absolute sense. I am not sure whether she meant that seriously or not but it really explains so much. His lack of diplomacy or social skills. Even in interviews he appears disassociated from the situation. Bless him.

Karol

I remembered that being mentioned to me as a large possibility (though never explicitly confirmed, so likely undiagnosed), and being absolutely fascinated as someone on the spectrum myself. It certainly would explain his thought process a lot more if him being so self-referential had to do with him associating key recurring themes with certain concepts and emotions.

2 hours ago, publicist said:

There recently was a LA Times interview from around the time of 'Casper' linked here, where he - presumably with a straight face - claimed to have written a restrained and simple score for 'Legends of the Fall'. Which is one of the contradictions of the century.

That’s not what he said resp. meant.

E9AFCB7B-CBE2-4C6B-8CD9-3C47E1516592.jpeg

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la-et-james-horner-aliens-legends-of-the-fall-casper-story.html

8 hours ago, publicist said:

Yeah, it is much, much 'worse' in this regard:

I think you DO want to misunderstand him. I thought he was talking about harmonies. And in this respect, Legends Of The Fall is restrained. There are major and minor chords. Maybe a 7th. But no 9ths, no 6ths, nothing diminished or augmented. As opposed to Peyton Place, which at times sounds like silent film music or from the 30s/40s

1 hour ago, Henry Sítrónu said:

I think you DO want to misunderstand him. I thought he was talking about harmonies. And in this respect, Legends Of The Fall is restrained. There are major and minor chords. Maybe a 7th. But no 9ths, no 6ths, nothing diminished or augmented. As opposed to Peyton Place, which at times sounds like silent film music or from the 30s/40s

To each his own. I know my Horner well enough so i could cite numerous examples where he stressed, without being particularly challenged to do so, how he avoids schmaltzy, overwrought, Hollywood-ian melodrama and i'm not deaf enough not to realize that Horner was an epitome of exactly that kind of scoring (take your pick, there are enough contenders until he was rather unceremoniously dumped by Ron Howard for 'The Missing').

Don't get me wrong, i absolutely love some of those, the split strings, the bombastic swells etc., but when a guy tells me, with a straight face, that 'Legends' or 'Perfect Storm' are 'restrained' because of harmonic or chordal choices i ask myself what would (or indeed, could) be the opposite of restraint, then...?

26 minutes ago, publicist said:

To each his own. I know my Horner well enough so i could cite numerous examples where he stressed, without being particularly challenged to do so, how he avoids schmaltzy, overwrought, Hollywood-ian melodrama and i'm not deaf enough not to realize that Horner was an epitome of exactly that kind of scoring (take your pick, there are enough contenders until he was rather unceremoniously dumped by Ron Howard for 'The Missing').

Don't get me wrong, i absolutely love some of those, the split strings, the bombastic swells etc., but when a guy tells me, with a straight face, that 'Legends' or 'Perfect Storm' are 'restrained' because of harmonic or chordal choices i ask myself what would (or indeed, could) be the opposite of restraint, then...?

I am no Horner expert. But when I hear that simple lullaby tune of Legends, that you shared with the video, I can firmly say, that little bit of simple and uniform repeated melody pattern doesn’t justify the dramatic orchestral efforts in the background. This IS highly pretentious while this Peaton Place has a song-like lyrical quality to it. My view.

2 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I am no Horner expert. But when I hear that simple lullaby tune of Legends, that you shared with the video, I can firmly say, that little bit of simple and uniform repeated melody pattern doesn’t justify the dramatic orchestral efforts in the background. This IS highly pretentious while this Peaton Place has a song-like lyrical quality to it. My view.

And Peyton Place *was* written in 1957. 

I always took that as a kind of amusing personality quirk of Horner, to build this raw reality around him, and with knowledge of the autistic disorder, it's not too surprising. In the old FSM days it was characterized as dishonesty, but it was anything but. 

I also think, in hindsight he was absolutely right about the shrug regarding his classical borrowings, nowadays you'd think at least someone keeps the candle burning instead of burning him at stake. But i also think that by the time of his death, his style had become so repetitive, it was like a rut he couldn't get out of anymore, so there were obviously limits to his modes of expression.

With 'Willow' now i'm in complete satisfaction with my Horner collection. Nothing more is needed.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

My wife grew up in the house Grace Metalious wrote Peyton Place in

One of the founders (and later president) of East Germany, Walter Ulbricht, returned to Berlin after WW2 in 1945 from Moscow exile. For a while he lived in my grandma's (empty) flat.

Update from Roger:

"Make that coming Aug 16th. For once things are coming in early! That means I'll post four covers next week. If I remember."

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=85325#p85325

So I think combining with the initial clue:

"While it's too soon to reveal the albums, here's some info: 2 albums, 1 film, 2 composers, 3 discs."

We have:

1 film

a score to it by 1 composer that takes up 2 discs

a score to it by a 2nd composer that takes up 1 disc

Each composer's score is being released separately, they are not being sold as a single 3-CD set. 

Each release will have 2 covers to pick from

Presumably, one score is the one that was used, one score is the one that was rejected

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

Presumably, one score is the one that was used, one score is the one that was rejected

Or it's a case of different scores being used in different territories, like on SPYS/Legend/The Big Blue/bunch of Italian things from the 60s... or it's a case like Last of the Mohicans (or White Fang, right?) where both composers had music used in the film, but they didn't work together in any way so it would make decent sense for their work to be separated into different albums...

Yavar

33 minutes ago, Jay said:

Would two covers per album also suggest that both scores have seen a previous release?

21 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Would two covers per album also suggest that both scores have seen a previous release?

I don't think so considering Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid had two covers to choose from and that was a world premiere

35 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Avengers: Age Of Ultron ;)

That's honestly a pretty neat guess. Intrada put out the CD of the original Avengers score (I think with a little bit more music than the digital download version?) And I could well imagine Brian Tyler's work being given 2CDs and Danny Elfman's being given its own due on a single CD.

14 minutes ago, Brando said:

Grasping at straws here, but Spider-Man

Which one and how would it fit the "two composers" clue?

22 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

I don't think so considering Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid had 2 covers to choose from and that was a world premiere

It wasn't; Prometheus had already released the score in the 90s... but the cover looked like this, lol (I'm sure glad Intrada didn't stick this on one side):

Dead_men_dont_wear_plaid_PCD126.jpg

But Jay's point is well taken: sometimes Intrada will do a flipper cover to include the original album cover as an alternate, but sometimes it's just because there's more than one piece of good art made for the film and they want to feature both options. They've been doing that for years (didn't Flesh + Blood by Poledouris have two cover options?)

Yavar

8 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Which one and how would it fit the "two composers" clue?

Was Danny Elfman alone on the first one? I could've sworn I saw another composer linked to it. Now we all know for sure 2&3 have more than one....

Edit: I remember seeing this YT video years ago and assumed Pete Anthony was a secondary composer of some sort, now I see he just conducted it

37 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

They've been doing that for years (didn't Flesh + Blood by Poledouris have two cover options?)

It did, but the alternate cover uses the same image as the earlier Prometheus release.

On 27/07/2022 at 2:54 PM, Jay said:

King Kong

Discs 1 & 2 = The complete James Newton Howard score

Disc 3 = The rejected Howard Shore score

20 minutes ago, PokeDocMatt said:

3 CDs - JNH’s King Kong expanded

1 CD - Shore’s rejected score

One can dream. 

Fixed.

Judging by the bootleg, JNH's complete score plus alternates will need 3 discs

22 hours ago, Jay said:

"While it's too soon to reveal the albums, here's some info: 2 albums, 1 film, 2 composers, 3 discs."

The Avengers: Age of Ultron.

The 2-CD set featuring all the music Brian Tyler wrote for the movie (including presumably unused/rejected material).

Then, on another album, all the music Danny Elfman wrote and recorded to replace some parts of Tyler's rejected material (including presumably unused/unreleased material).

12 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Does no one read threads anymore?

One of these days, I'd like to take a few moments to read every thread in the "Other topics" subforum. JWFan's best of the best.

2 hours ago, ManofDestiny said:

2CD: Howard Shore's rejected score.

1CD:JNH album.

At most, Shore recorded an hour or so of score. No way it would require more than one CD.

And why would Intrada only reissue the existing JNH album?

Yavar

4 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

At most, Shore recorded an hour or so of score. No way it would require more than one CD.

And why would Intrada only reissue the existing JNH album?

Yavar

I think he was joking?

On 6/8/2022 at 2:29 AM, publicist said:

Someone at FSM claimed it could be 'The Reivers' (Williams/Schifrin). That would be a nice release.

Hmm, I like that idea, but there’s only a few minutes of unreleased JW material from the film, which would fit comfortably alongside the OST, unless the film has a significantly different mix to warrant two discs.