The Official Intrada Thread

Trent B

The August 26th title is Lifeforce, a 1985 film with score written by Henry Mancini as well as Michael Kamen

"2 albums, 1 film, 2 composers, 3 discs"

Roger's beginning-of-the-year composer list is now thus:

James Horner 48 Hrs, Another 48 Hrs Jan
Jerry Goldsmith

Black Patch / The Man, The Sand Pebbles, Matinee

Mar, Apr, May
James Horner Jumanji May
Michael Kamen Lifeforce Aug
Basil Poledouris    
James Horner Star Trek 3, Willow Jun
Miklos Rozsa Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid Apr
John Williams Space Camp May
Alan Silvestri Cat's Eye Jun
Henry Mancini Lifeforce Aug
Jay Chattaway    
Craig Safan Phantom of the Opera, The Last Starfighter Mar, May
Laurence Rosenthal Becket Apr

10 minutes ago, Jaaaackified said:

Firstly, I do not think this is a definitive list

Secondly, it's about damn time for a proper Free Willy release

It certainly is, but Intrada has also been trying to put out Conan the Destroyer for the past *decade* (or longer...it was shockingly a decade ago that they put out the complete Conan the Barbarian, and before it came out Roger had shared that they had licensed both titles).

Of course they could have more than one Poledouris in the works, just like they had more than one Safan (and more than three Horners, lol...)

Yavar

I wonder if Conan The Detroyer is the most likely Poledouris.

And I wonder if we'll ever get details about what legal snafus held it up for a decade after licensing it.

Or maybe it's been completely canceled and they just haven't told us.

I also am still really curious about what Zimmer title they thought they'd be putting out last year.  I assume it is Special Collection #455 because that still isn't out.

On 26/7/2022 at 8:20 PM, Amer said:

My guess:

1) Henry Mancini and Michael Kamen [Lifeforce]

Props to Amer for guessing correctly.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I also am still really curious about what Zimmer title they thought they'd be putting out last year.  I assume it is Special Collection #455 because that still isn't out.

I'd be sorely disappointed if no one has Gladiator either in the works or on their active radar. Not overly obvious what would hold it up unless Gerrard's involvement or additional composers are causing issues. (could her involvement make it prohibitively expensive?)

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

I’d say Zimmer himself is the hold up for any Zimmer release. Based on his reactions to some releases on Facebook, he doesn’t like to be out of the loop on what gets put out. 

What has he said?

Given that he implies he knows what the score is, sounds to me like he knew they were doing it and didn't approve but had no means to stop it. But then we're talking about a label which it seems historically doesn't know what they're doing.

I remember that Rain Man was apparently done with substandard source materials so I can't imagine him being happy about that either.

I can't see that attitude happening with his bigger scores somehow - maybe just older stuff he's not as fond of.

@Richard Penna you are confusing NoteForNote (run by Bryon Davis and Peter Hackman, both formerly Varese Sarabande employees) with Perseverance (run by Robin Esterhammer). It was the latter which originally released Rain Main in 2010 from substandard source materials (and also put out a really nice edition of Slipstream, which sadly was – apparently – not fully licensed).

Notefornote put out a new (over 10 minutes longer and I think with much better sound, but I don't have either to verify) edition of Rain Man in 2018. From my experience both Bryon and Peter know what they are doing, and they properly licensed those early Zimmer/Stanley Myers LP programs from the label that owned them, to premiere them on CD. They did it all above board and put out releases that people roundly praised (I remember no complaints anyway -- apart from Zimmer's own weird comment!) Zimmer may have been miffed the albums of his early works were making the LP to CD journey without his involvement, but he's not the owner of those scores (they were works for hire) and IMO it's pretty shitty of him to dunk on the NoteForNote folks as if they did something wrong or shady. They only did what many labels have done before them, over and over: license the original LP album programs for a premiere release on CD. And they charged very reasonable prices, IIRC, so I don't see how that qualifies as a "rip off". It's even weirder because only one of those four albums they licensed from the label was pure Zimmer. One was pure Myers and two were Myers/Zimmer.

Yavar

24 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

It's even weirder because only one of those four albums they licensed from the label was pure Zimmer. One was pure Myers and two were Myers/Zimmer.

They are selling these 4 titles as a bundle now for 40 bucks

https://notefornotemusic.com/collections/all/products/hans-zimmer-stanley-myers-omega-cd-bundle-limited-time-offer

Funnily enough, one of those scores (The Wind) is actually currently on streaming. I wonder if the same will happen with the other 3 titles (plus Rain Man).

Listen to track 20 at 2:27 for a really early example of a repeating idea HZ continues to use to this day.

10 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Perseverance... put out a really nice edition of Slipstream, which sadly was – apparently – not fully licensed).

Every time I listen to my copy of Slipstream, Satan appears in my living-room. 

That episode does demonstrate the hellish world of music licensing quite succinctly though. You can have perfect elements for a score release but not be able to put it out because someone, somewhere hates scores.

On 5/8/2022 at 4:38 PM, publicist said:

but when a guy tells me, with a straight face, that 'Legends' or 'Perfect Storm' are 'restrained' because of harmonic or chordal choices i ask myself what would (or indeed, could) be the opposite of restraint, then...?

Well. THIS here is definitely not restrained. I guess we can agree on this. :D

16 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

That episode does demonstrate the hellish world of music licensing quite succinctly though. You can have perfect elements for a score release but not be able to put it out because someone, somewhere hates scores.

Slipstream is essentially a pressed bootleg. If I remember correctly, Perseverance completely dismissed getting the proper licenses from the rights holders, and simply got the blessing of the Bernstein estate. 

Yes, I remember Esterhammer's claims that he thought he was told everything was ok.

It's a shame though that if Bernstein's estate was happy for it to be out from a creative perspective, it's down to whoever happens to own the asset to just say no.

Has Intrada been ones to occasionally delay the shipping of an item? Usually they send it out a day or two after, but it's now been three days since I ordered and no signs of fulfillment being made yet.

On 13/08/2022 at 11:59 AM, Richard Penna said:

It's a shame though that if Bernstein's estate was happy for it to be out from a creative perspective, it's down to whoever happens to own the asset to just say no.

In that case all was fine: the score was released. 

• 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Cool! Any idea what the Silvestri expansion may be? I think a Polar Express or Van Helsing expansions could be great!

No idea I'm afraid, not heard anything. Got all the Silvestri I need :lol:. Intrada did do Mummy Returns (and the Mummy) so Van Helsing would be a real possibility (with them all being Sommers film's)

I will be happy with any Poledouris release!

Very exciting news, he doesn’t get it expanded enough. I wish they would have recorded that tribute concert of his recently. It sounds amazing from what I can surmise from the quick quotes of people who were able to afford to go.

2 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Believe me, what you REALLY want is Free Willy 2. ;) 

Yavar

Oh certainly. I want both, but Free Willy 2 definitely needs it more.

39 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

Why not getting both at the same time? ;)

Hey while we’re dreaming why not throw an expansion of Cliff Eidelman’s score for the third film into the mix too? ;) 

Yavar

• 2 weeks later...