The Official Intrada Thread

Trent B

• 1 month later...

So, more JNH and Beltrami on the way as well as Zimmer. Sounds exciting.

My unfounded predictions based on things I'd like to see:

JNH: The Village (less likely than Disney though)

Beltrami: I, Robot (last one they did was Varese, so why not another)

Zimmer: well, duh. (Gladiator)

Could be Nixon and Born on the Fourth of July with JFK finally coming from LLL. Or it could be The Terminal and Catch Me If You Can just because. Lots of great options possibly within Intrada territory.

4 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

Could be Nixon and Born on the Fourth of July with JFK finally coming from LLL. Or it could be The Terminal and Catch Me If You Can just because. Lots of great options possibly within Intrada territory.

Fingers crossed for Nixon and JFK

Intrada's Facebook page is running a poll on some potential future new recording projects, for anyone not on Facebook, they are:

• The Big Sleep (Max Steiner)
  • Jungle Book (Rozsa)
  • The Haunting (Humphrey Searle)
  • Kings of the Sun (Elmer)
  • Night of the Hunter (Walter Schumann)
  • The Chairman (Jerry Goldsmith)
  • Samson and Delilah (Victor Young)
  • The Waltons - TV episodes (Jerry Goldsmith)
  • Helen of Troy (Steiner)
  • Spirit of St Louis (Franz Waxman)

I voted for The Chairman... which I'm wondering could be coupled with some other stuff as I don't think the full score is super long, sure @Yavar Moradi can confirm! 

5 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Intrada's Facebook page is running a poll on some potential future new recording projects, for anyone not on Facebook, they are:

• The Big Sleep (Max Steiner)
  • Jungle Book (Rozsa)
  • The Haunting (Humphrey Searle)
  • Kings of the Sun (Elmer)
  • Night of the Hunter (Walter Schumann)
  • The Chairman (Jerry Goldsmith)
  • Samson and Delilah (Victor Young)
  • The Waltons - TV episodes (Jerry Goldsmith)
  • Helen of Troy (Steiner)
  • Spirit of St Louis (Franz Waxman)

I voted for The Chairman... which I'm wondering could be coupled with some other stuff as I don't think the full score is super long, sure @Yavar Moradi can confirm! 

I vote for Captain Blood.

Can't find the poll on their Facebook page, btw.

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It’s on the Intrada Soundtrack Club group. And on their forum…

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9052

I wonder why Doug Fake’s Hugo Friedhofer favorite, Joan of Arc, isn’t here as an option this time as it finished in an impressive 4th place in their previous poll, behind only the unsurprising top trio of Goldsmith/Rozsa/Herrmann and ahead of Seale’s The Haunting which is in this new poll…

Yavar

6 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I wonder why Doug Fake’s Hugo Friedhofer favorite, Joan of Arc, isn’t here as an option this time as it finished in an impressive 4th place in their previous poll, behind only the unsurprising top trio of Goldsmith/Rozsa/Herrmann and ahead of Seale’s The Haunting which is in this new poll…

Perhaps it was too expensive?

3 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Actually it’s pretty substantial. Though the (poor sounding) original album is just a little over half an hour, there’s about 15 minutes more in the film itself… but many cues in the film are truncated (dialed in or out so the full composition isn’t heard) and some cues Goldsmith wrote didn’t make it into the film at all! So possible (likely?) that the full score is around an hour long! The written music for the full score survives at the Academy’s Margaret Herrick Library so those cues could be included (no reconstruction by ear should be necessary).

I do still like your idea of pairing a little something extra with it though, and my wish would be for Intrada to add the two cues from Goldsmith’s The Sand Pebbles which don’t survive any more in music only form. (One of those two did survive on a music & effects source, and Intrada did include that on their 2CD set — “A Crushing Affair”. But I want it music only!) Maybe add one or two other cues and call it a “bonus suite”, Intrada? I can’t think of any other more appropriate Goldsmith re-recording for these couple lost cues to tag along on…

Yavar

2 hours ago, Romão said:

I would really love if they tackled a really ambition re-recording of something like The Ten Commandments

Hear hear.

9 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/95015405220/posts/10167857945935221

Dunno why nobody else linked to it

On 25/04/2023 at 9:52 PM, A. A. Ron said:

The latter two certainly feel Intrada territory to me (for some reason) - I'd sort of rather they did The Terminal just to get it ticked off the list because it's probably amongst those with the least significant unreleased material and just needs a proper presentation.

13 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Actually it’s pretty substantial. Though the (poor sounding) original album is just a little over half an hour, there’s about 15 minutes more in the film itself… but many cues in the film are truncated (dialed in or out so the full composition isn’t heard) and some cues Goldsmith wrote didn’t make it into the film at all! So possible (likely?) that the full score is around an hour long! The written music for the full score survives at the Academy’s Margaret Herrick Library so those cues could be included (no reconstruction by ear should be necessary).

I do still like your idea of pairing a little something extra with it though, and my wish would be for Intrada to add the two cues from Goldsmith’s The Sand Pebbles which don’t survive any more in music only form. (One of those two did survive on a music & effects source, and Intrada did include that on their 2CD set — “A Crushing Affair”. But I want it music only!) Maybe add one or two other cues and call it a “bonus suite”, Intrada? I can’t think of any other more appropriate Goldsmith re-recording for these couple lost cues to tag along on…

Yavar

Sounds like a fairly promising project all things considered - of course given they already re-recorded 3 tracks as an extra for the Blue Max disc, they wouldn't even need to record everything again ;-) I'm guessing the fact that they didn't include Babe means it's just out of the question?! Those cues from the Sand Pebbles could be interesting, although they would probably sound just as out of place if you tried to place them into the rest of the original score. A full re-recording, however, seems a touch unnecessary given how well it's otherwise preserved when so many others aren't. Then again, maybe they could somehow remix those tracks to try and mimic the original as well as present them in pristine modern sound. Another B side compilation of Jerry suites and themes would be terrific, I love the one that goes with the Blue Max. It's a shame Tadlow haven't been in a position to do more full score and compilation albums, an equivalent for Basil or maybe Christopher Young would be great.

Huh? They didn't re-record 3 tracks as an extra for The Blue Max... Tadlow did! Different label, different orchestra, different recording venue, different recording engineer, different conductor! And Tadlow had those cues reconstructed by ear as far as I know. Intrada would be accessing the original written sketches present in the Margaret Herrick Library, as they did with Black Patch. They absolutely would not be using previous recordings but doing a fresh one with Bill Stromberg.

Babe not being included just means it's not under consideration *right now*. They had to cap options somewhere, and they already had two excellent Goldsmith titles up there. Only Goldsmith and Steiner even got two options each; most composers had to contend with one slot.

Yavar

On 30/04/2023 at 7:20 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

And The Hallelujah Trail - though that's probably one of the most unlikely (if needed!) re-recording projects of all.

On 25/04/2023 at 9:13 PM, Jay said:

a Jerry Goldsmith soundtrack premiere literally in my all-time favorites

How many Goldsmith scores without a previous release are there that match this description? I mean, it could of course be some über-obscure nugget from his early TV days that Doug just happens to have a soft spot for, or a true obscure standout. In my experience (and taste), most of the very early stuff is likeable enough and certainly of historic value, but not all that important in the grand scheme of things, where Goldsmith would revisit most of these ideas for other scores over the next few decades. What else is there from his more prominent years that remains unreleased, aside from the unrecorded Babe stuff? (Personally, I'm still missing MacArthur, and I've never seen an album in my almost 30 years of Goldsmith collecting, but I understand one exists)

Mulan comes close, but even if you don't count the suite (because it's not so much from the score proper but rather Goldsmith's arrangement of the song melodies), at least a few minutes of it have been released officially. But maybe it's not *that* much of a stretch to consider a score release a premiere, and while I'd rather expect it to be a Legacy Collection score, Intrada at least does have the Disney connection…

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

And The Hallelujah Trail - though that's probably one of the most unlikely (if needed!) re-recording projects of all.

Yeah, getting good vocalists would be tricky and expensive compared to the average film music re-recording. A real shame the original tapes were lost.

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

I voted for The Jungle Book.

I would be ecstatic to get a new complete Jungle Book by Rozsa! I voted for Walter Schumann's masterful Night of the Hunter. (This would also need a superb solo vocalist for one key sequence, but would be a simpler proposition than Hallelujah Trail I think.)

How many Goldsmith scores without a previous release are there that match this description? I mean, it could of course be some über-obscure nugget from his early TV days that Doug just happens to have a soft spot for, or a true obscure standout.

As someone who has many Goldsmith favorites which are relatively obscure, like Breakout and High Velocity, I agree with that. Doug may have some obscure Goldsmith favorites! But I'd be surprised if Doug's statement refers to "early TV days" to say the least, because it just doesn't seem like he's talking about episodic TV score. Since they were essentially the TV movies of their day, maybe there's an outside chance of a Playhouse 90 score like a complete "A Marriage of Strangers" (which is over half an hour long in the film)? But I doubt it. To me there are two likely possible categories this clue could refer to:

1. A fully unreleased score for a TV movie feature such as Pursuit (yeah I know Silva re-recorded a single cue), Crawlspace, Indict and Convict, or Do Not Fold, Spindle, or Mutilate. I could personally understand if the first two were among someone's favorite Goldsmith works. I know Pursuit is one of Jon Burlingame's absolute favorite Goldsmith scores, and I really love Crawlspace myself (though it wouldn't make my top 50).

2. Doug could be referring to the premiere of a unique (film) recording, rather than a score that's entirely unreleased. I know Hour of the Gun is one of his absolute favorite Goldsmith scores. He released Goldsmith's own unique half hour album recording on Intrada years ago, and I don't think he was entirely satisfied with Tadlow's complete re-recording even though it used the original larger film orchestrations. The film recording itself is entirely unreleased, apart from (I think) an isolated up-and-down music & effects track on a Twilght Time Blu-ray of the film. Maybe tapes for the original film recording have been uncovered? Stranger things have happened. Other candidates could be The Salamander (the Tadlow album was a re-recording taken down by ear from the mixed film audio by Leigh Phillips) or MacArthur/The Last Run (both of these received unique new recordings for album; the unique film recordings remain unreleased just like The Eiger Sanction by Williams was, for many years). Lilies of the Field or QBVII might be two other possibilities; I've never received a definitive answer one way or the other, about whether the albums were unique recordings, or (fully or partially) taken from the film.

I guess a re-recording could also technically fit what Doug said, but I just don't think Doug would fail to mention if one of these titles was a newly produced recording for Intrada, and they seem to be doing those via Kickstarter now anyway.

In my experience (and taste), most of the very early stuff is likeable enough and certainly of historic value, but not all that important in the grand scheme of things, where Goldsmith would revisit most of these ideas for other scores over the next few decades.

I have quite the opposite reaction to you, to early Goldsmith it seems. To me it's him at his most compositionally fresh and vital. Even though I love later Jerry too, the more I hear of his 60s work in particular the more I think that's my favorite decade of his output, when he was young and particularly hungry to impress. Why is his later work more "important in the grand scheme of things" to you, when you're basically accusing it of being derivative of works that came before? What makes those works better than the works that inspired them? I think a majority of people would agree that early Horner is more inspired than later Horner, when he got more and more derivative of his own output.

What else is there from his more prominent years that remains unreleased, aside from the unrecorded Babe stuff?

If by "more prominent years" you mean the 80s and 90s, I think that's just your own bias because you grew up during that time. Goldsmith was at least as prominent in the 60s and 70s. But yeah from the last quarter century of his career, there really isn't much that's totally unreleased. Mainly the two unrecorded rejected scores from the 90s -- Babe, and Disney's The Kid... both of which have surviving written scores in the Academy's Margaret Herrick Library. But again, what Doug wrote doesn't seem to point towards a new recording.

(Personally, I'm still missing MacArthur, and I've never seen an album in my almost 30 years of Goldsmith collecting, but I understand one exists)

So is that the premiere which would make you most happy? I could easily envision Intrada giving that title the Eiger Sanction treatment, premiering the film recording alongside a remastered version of the original album recording.

Mulan comes close, but even if you don't count the suite (because it's not so much from the score proper but rather Goldsmith's arrangement of the song melodies), at least a few minutes of it have been released officially. But maybe it's not *that* much of a stretch to consider a score release a premiere, and while I'd rather expect it to be a Legacy Collection score, Intrada at least does have the Disney connection…

Under no definitional stretch would Mulan remotely qualify as a "premiere".

Yavar

1 hour ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Yeah, getting good vocalists would be tricky and expensive compared to the average film music re-recording. A real shame the original tapes were lost.

To be fair, the songs exist in decent enough quality, so I'd be happy about a recording of just the orchestral cues (some major ones are completely unreleased). But I doubt anyone would undertake a re-recording without doing the whole thing - and I'm afraid the film and score are too obscure (as far as I'm aware) for anyone to seriously attempt that.

2. Doug could be referring to the premiere of a unique (film) recording, rather than a score that's entirely unreleased. I know Hour of the Gun is one of his absolute favorite Goldsmith scores. He released Goldsmith's own unique half hour album recording on Intrada years ago, and I don't think he was entirely satisfied with Tadlow's complete re-recording even though it used the original larger film orchestrations. The film recording itself is entirely unreleased, apart from (I think) an isolated up-and-down music & effects track on a Twilght Time Blu-ray of the film. Maybe tapes for the original film recording have been uncovered? Stranger things have happened. Other candidates could be The Salamander (the Tadlow album was a re-recording taken down by ear from the mixed film audio by Leigh Phillips) or MacArthur/The Last Run (both of these received unique new recordings for album; the unique film recordings remain unreleased just like The Eiger Sanction by Williams was, for many years). Lilies of the Field or QBVII might be two other possibilities; I've never received a definitive answer one way or the other, about whether the albums were unique recordings, or (fully or partially) taken from the film.

Very true. I forgot about film/album recordings, and even that a couple of the scores I do have are later re-recordings.

I have quite the opposite reaction to you, to early Goldsmith it seems. To me it's him at his most compositionally fresh and vital. Even though I love later Jerry too, the more I hear of his 60s work in particular the more I think that's my favorite decade of his output, when he was young and particularly hungry to impress. Why is his later work more "important in the grand scheme of things" to you, when you're basically accusing it of being derivative of works that came before? What makes those works better than the works that inspired them? I think a majority of people would agree that early Horner is more inspired than later Horner, when he got more and more derivative of his own output.

I'm not accusing him of anything. Similarities are inevitable and perfectly normal in such a large oeuvre. I just feel that his later works are more refined (perhaps because he had more experience, or more time than on his early TV works, or quite possibly both), and more substantial because the feature scores are typically longer.

If by "more prominent years" you mean the 80s and 90s, I think that's just your own bias because you grew up during that time. Goldsmith was at least as prominent in the 60s and 70s.

Not so much my personal bias (which surely also exists) - I was using "more prominent" with regards to what most "casual fans" are most familiar with and talk about most (i.e. people who are hardcore enough film music fans to post on these forums, but not specifically ultra Goldsmith fans).

So is that the premiere which would make you most happy? I could easily envision Intrada giving that title the Eiger Sanction treatment, premiering the film recording alongside a remastered version of the original album recording.

Of those few Goldsmiths I'm vaguely familiar with (via the march) and still don't have in my collection, Macarthur is the one I usually think of and that I know had an album - so yes, it's possibly the one Goldsmith I've most been waiting for to be re-released in some form.

13 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Huh? They didn't re-record 3 tracks as an extra for The Blue Max... Tadlow did! Different label, different orchestra, different recording venue, different recording engineer, different conductor! And Tadlow had those cues reconstructed by ear as far as I know. Intrada would be accessing the original written sketches present in the Margaret Herrick Library, as they did with Black Patch. They absolutely would not be using previous recordings but doing a fresh one with Bill Stromberg.

Babe not being included just means it's not under consideration *right now*. They had to cap options somewhere, and they already had two excellent Goldsmith titles up there. Only Goldsmith and Steiner even got two options each; most composers had to contend with one slot.

Yavar

Sorry, I wasn't clear in saying who "they" were - call it the royal they rather than meaning to imply Intrada did it! If the Tadlow recorded cues from the Chairman were reconstructed, that's pretty impressive (and even if it's not perfect, it sounds pretty authentic). I forgot quite how much of The Sand Pebbles Tadlow included too, a shame they didn't pick one of the damaged cues, although I guess they went for the most interesting ones!

• 3 weeks later...