Yawn.

Have you ever actually heard any Rozsa?

No.

:nod:

I wondered how long it would take. :music:

Shock horror! I haven't heard any Rozsa! :D

Shock horror! I don't like Star Wars! :eek:

How can I live with myself?! :blink:

Being that closed-minded, I imagine it's very hard to.

Yawn.

Have you ever actually heard any Rozsa?

No.

:nod:

I wondered how long it would take. :music:

Shock horror! I haven't heard any Rozsa! :D

Shock horror! I don't like Star Wars! :eek:

How can I live with myself?! :blink:

Being that closed-minded, not very long I'd imagine.

Probably not, but we'll see.

Why should we be labelled 'closed-minded' if we're not very interested in golden age music? It's not what we grew up with, it's stylistically very different, the sound quality is subpar (I know that's an unfair comparison in some ways, but it can't be denied as a factor) and we're drowning in new scores all the time.

It's not like we're saying these releases aren't good - they're fantastic for people who want them. Those people just aren't us yet.

Plus the frequency of releases means we can't just try everything in the hope that we like it.

You tell 'em, Rich!

And I just realized something last night that actually freaked me out a bit. I prefer the later years of a majority of the artists that I like. I'll take the later music of John Williams, James Newton Howard, Thomas Newman, Jerry Goldsmith, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, James Horner, Howard Shore, and probably some more over the early music.

The same thing with directors too: Spielberg, Kubrick, Hitchcock...

Go back to even the late 80s and JNH's style is all synth, Tom Newman's at his zaniest, and most of the others I follow weren't really active then. It's not something I can really help - the 90s is where my comfort period begins for most composers other than Horner/Williams and a few others.

Not like I don't have 60s/70s scores - they just tend to be a bit few and far between and I'm less willing to take a risk on them (I picked up Nightwing and that turned out to be a good decision, and I'd buy Airplane if it was still available).

There's a big difference to actually sampling a composer before you make ignorant statements such as "yawn".

At least I've made many attempts to listen to Zimmer before I brush off his drivel.

I can promise you that when the day comes when Zimmer and his cronies and all the lesser composers get their day with expanded releases you won't see me directing insults at the releases.

These labels put alot of time, money and effort to release these and it does bother them that all the constructive criticism anyone can come up with is "yawn", this sucks because it's not BTTF, Well I'm not buying this for no reason etc etc etc.

There's a big difference to actually sampling a composer before you make ignorant statements such as "yawn".

At least I've made many attempts to listen to Zimmer before I brush off his drivel.

I can promise you that when the day comes when Zimmer and his cronies and all the lesser composers get their day with expanded releases you won't see me directing insults at the releases.

These labels put alot of time, money and effort to release these and it does bother them that all the constructive criticism anyone can come up with is "yawn", this sucks because it's not BTTF, Well I'm not buying this for no reason etc etc etc.

Truer words have never been spoken...or would that be typed?

Edit: One of the reasons why I only get certain releases that come out is because of mostly money constraints. I told myself I'd only get scores I know will get repeated listens, not if it's only one or two listenings.

Why should we be labelled 'closed-minded' if we're not very interested in golden age music? It's not what we grew up with, it's stylistically very different, the sound quality is subpar (I know that's an unfair comparison in some ways, but it can't be denied as a factor) and we're drowning in new scores all the time.

It's not like we're saying these releases aren't good - they're fantastic for people who want them. Those people just aren't us yet.

Plus the frequency of releases means we can't just try everything in the hope that we like it.

It's not even that you're not interested, it's making a comment like "Yawn" in reference to a composer the poster in queston has never even HEARD that's annoying. Especially when said composer is a legend in the genre. It means that a whole cavalcade of music is instantly turned away, like Mark said, because it's not BTTF or Pirates of the Caribbean. I always thought this hobby was about sampling new things and looking at all kinds of scores, even if they come from stables previously unattractive, and that's what kind of helps make it great, that occasionally you can dig through the dirt and find something great from a source you don't usually like (ala Zimmer).

If sound quality is an issue, just listen to the recent El Cid re-recording or the Rozsa conducted Quo Vadis and Ben Hur re-recordings. I don't see how any film music fan won't enjoy them greatly.

If sound quality is an issue, just listen to the recent El Cid re-recording or the Rozsa conducted Quo Vadis and Ben Hur re-recordings.

Or the Rozsa conducted King of Kings or the re-recording of The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes.

Yeah I've been meaning to check out the El Cid re-recording. I've got the love theme on some compilation and that's beautiful.

El Cid is definitely one of the most accessible scores of that era for fans of the current generation of film music, and it's a great gateway into other scores of the period.

• 2 weeks later...

Roger Feigelson actually put out an audio clue for this Tuesday's release (Tues Aug 4, limited to 1000 copies)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XcYTUUhloI

Someone at FSM already figured it out; It's Flight From Ashiya by Frank Cordell

You can actually watch the movie online legally right here!:

http://www.fancast.com/movies/Flight-From-Ashiya/23369/859896098/Flight-From-Ashiya:-Full-Length/videos

• 2 weeks later...

Roger has this to say about August 18th's releases.

Two Special Collection releases. One is 1200 the other is a 3-CD set at 1500.

A 3-CD set? Hmmmm, wonder what that would be.

That's really bizarre. I'm trying to figure out what would merit the packaging of three discs in one set (whether that's multiple scores or not), but only limited to 1500 units. That's just...weird, man.

Hopefully the 3 disc one is Hook.

Highly doubtful.

They could be Golden Age scores or perhaps a TV series.

That's what I'm thinking as well.

Edit: IF it were BTTF it would be really weird to have it as 1,500 units. You would think something like that would be any where from a 3,000 unit to 5,000 unit item, not 1,500. Oh well we'll find out next Monday on what they are.

If it were BTTF, I'd think that somebody would treat it like Star Trek II, and give it an unlimited release.

Ok, that's what I *hope*. I might be getting the two verbs confused.

Since I'm pretty sure it won't be BTTF or Hook (as much as I'd love an expanded Hook), I'd wish it were an expanded "Masada" by Goldsmith.

Since I'm pretty sure it won't be BTTF or Hook (as much as I'd love an expanded Hook), I'd wish it were an expanded "Masada" by Goldsmith.

Me too, that would be a dream release

Hmm, a 3-Cd set is very curious, but then it'll probably be something like a set of 3 LP reissues or something.

I reserve my excitement until they reveal the decades or post a promising youtube clip.

Not neccessarily.

There could be cost/ license restrictions where it's only posssible to press 1500 units.

Intrada could only issue 2500 units of Natty Gann compared to 3000 for the other Horner Disney titles.

However, I would say that this 3 disc set is probably a re-issue of LP's, TV series or Golden Age scores that wouldn't sell 3000 units.

Robert Feigelson dropped another hint on the 3 disc set:

A little more info. The 3-CD set is from one film. It features the complete score that covers two discs, including A LOT of music that was dropped from the film or rescored. The third disc is a free bonus, which is the original album presentation, which was quite a popular LP in its day. Very handsome looking set as well.

http://intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=32020#32020

Now I'm really curious, especially at only 1500 copies.

Couldn't be The Ten Commandments or something of that nature, you think?

I don't know if it had a lot of re-scoring or dropped music.

I'm guessing this film was before 1980, especially with the LP hint. Although there are a few 80's scores that have yet to see a CD release that might fit the description.