The Official Intrada Thread

Trent B

Curious. I only have 98 "conversations" out of my allowed 100. I wonder if the new board software changed the rules again?

I just deleted another one; Try again?

Too bad we lost the archive feature!

YSH has a fabulous score, very very listenable. I love the themes, and the way those themes are developed and embellished in places. I'd LOVE to get a version that's had a good spit-n-polish from today's software/equipment/etc.

It was only a promo.

Anyway, I hope the "lavish" 80s title could turn out to be something by Vangelis.

Yes, indeed! How about a 2-cd set of "The Bounty", and "Missing", with all the unreleased "Blade Runner" music thrown in for good measure?

Young Sherlock Holmes the movie, feels very much like a Harry Potter prequel, cross pollinated with Temple of Doom. It's a lot of fun. The score is also a joy. There are some wonderful stately English themes for Holmes, a delightful "mystery" theme, and a vocal cult theme reminiscent of O Fortuna. Broughton was in his full on Williams clone mode, and does a fine job with it. It's one of those examples of Broughton being able to bring the best out of an orchestra. It's a grail of mine, having missed the promo.

As much as I want it to be YSH, I cannot imagine them only releasing 1000 of them though.

It also had the "stained glass man" seguence, which was the first time a CG character interacted fully with a human character.

I think the 70's release might be something from Jerry Fielding, perhaps Beyond The Poseidon Adventure or (hopefully) The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Or whatever Charles Bernstein score they haven't done yet that starred Burt Reynolds. ;)

Anyway, I hope the "lavish" 80s title could turn out to be something by Vangelis.

Yes, indeed! How about a 2-cd set of "The Bounty", and "Missing", with all the unreleased "Blade Runner" music thrown in for good measure?

The Bounty could easily fill 2 CDs, but it would take up all the space. If it is indeed The Bounty, I hope it's as lavish as the FSM release for Bronislau Kaper's Mutiny On The Bounty.

Some more clues about the 70's one was posted...

"A light-hearted noir-spoof score"

A sound clip for the 70's was provided too.

http://www.intrada.net/namethattune/mySTery__05JUl2010.m3u

For the 80's more clues for that one was also posted.

"Quite lavish"

"Sweeping miniseries"

"Has some connection to an earlier Intrada release"

I wonder if it's finally Laurence Rosenthal's score to part I of the George Washington miniseries. They released Bruce Broughton's part II.

It was only a promo.

Blade Runner has been completely released to my knowledge. The recent 3-disc anniversary set included the OST, a disc of unreleased music, and newly composed music inspired from the film.

Nope, that Trilogy release is far from complete, as it's sadly missing at least 15 minutes of great music. Think of that set as the "Concord release" of Blade Runner's score: sure, we got fantastic examples of previously unreleased material, but yet there are STILL mouthwatering pieces of music left off for (apparently) no reason. Check out my site for more details.

It certainly does need a proper release, although I greatly enjoy the 1994 disc, it has a lot of charm. Although I'm not sure if a complete release would ever happen, it would depend on licensing other pieces of music.

Yes, that's both strange and frustrating, but I think that the decision to ONLY include 12 tracks for the 2nd CD was even stranger, not to mention incredibly counterproductive.

It's Fielding's The Black Bird and Rosenthal's George Washington. Washington is a holy grail for me, so I'll be picking that one up for sure.

Decided to order George Washington sooner rather than later.

At only 1000 copies I have no idea how long it'll hold up.

Dear lord! The folks at Intrada don't kid around. I ordered George Washington on Tuesday and the CD was in my mailbox today. Impressive Intrada. Most impressive.

Looks like Intrada only has 1 release on July 20th, and Roger has dropped an interesting clue for it:

Just some info on this release. This is the first album where we are introducing the new format. It is divided into two parts. "The Album" features a program that serves the music best. "The Extras" features a program of all the extra stuff that didn't really add to the listening experience or took away from it. The notes will indicate the C&C sequence for those who want to rearrange in iTunes or cut a CD-R for that program.

The release is limited to 1200 units and is from the the 80s, dead center.

I assume dead center means 1985. Any guesses?

http://en.wikipedia....ki/1985_in_film

As far as I can guess any title I'd be interested in would warrant more than 1200 copies

Maybe Horner's Cacoon?

That's an interesting way to spell Cocoon

Cocoon would be released at way more than 1200 units. It's gotta be something with a bunch of cues that are vastly different from the rest, hence why they decided to delegate them to bonus tracks. Maybe a lot of ambient type stuff that would really ruin the listening experience.

D'oh should have looked at the spelling, my bad. You're probably right...chances are it maybe something I can skip on. I'm waiting for Thursday's LLL announcements to be honest.

Back to the Future: The Choir Edition. An hour of unreleased choral overlays, as Mr Silvestri intended!

:music:

Nah, that would come from Varese..... bowdown

Back To The Future: Part II!!

I think it's Target by Michael Small.

It fits the clues and edition size best. I remember reading one of Roger's responses to some of the clue-guessing as "Bulls-eye".

Latest info from Doug:

We'll have another new release for you to consider this coming Tuesday, July 20. We're world premiering some super cool eighties action and suspense music by a legendary super cool composer. With this particular score, the composer wrote some forty minutes or so of full length cues that make up for a really dynamite album. He also wrote an extraordinary number of tiny cues, fragments and short transition cues which, when included in the album seem to create a lot of padding. So we've assembled everything with maximum listening pleasure in mind, offering what we think is a dynamic "album". We've also included virtually every additional cue and short fragment in "the extras" section of the CD for completists. We've even provided a road map for those wanting to program everything in picture sequence. The best of both worlds, so to speak. A long long time ago, composers actually put together record albums with listening in mind. Today most of the CDs aimed at our niche market have moved towards offering every single note in picture sequence, no matter how listenable the results may be. So we're sort of offering both methods here and you can listen either way! Hop onto our welcome page on Monday evening for the title and audio samples... and have fun!

Pass both. By the way, I am surprise that the George Washington did not sold out yet, consider that it's a far better score than the Part II, yet the Part II sold out within a week, as far as I remember.

I did the liners for THE MEAN SEASON, and (surprise) I heartily recommend it! It's got some terrific action and lots of classic noir material from maestro Schifrin. It's really quite wonderful the way he draws together different musical eras. Also -- you all know I'm usually a C&C guy, but I think the album program Doug put together for this is a great listening experience, and was the most appropriate way to handle this material.

I'm glad GW hasn't sold out yet -- if I can, I plan on ordering it along with BATMAN to save on shipping! :cool: Sadly, I get the feeling that many younger film music fans, who may have grown up watching movies with Broughton's name attached, are less aware of Rosenthal's prodigious talent and distinguished career. I actually fell into this category -- my awareness and love of Broughton came very early, with projects like YOUNG SHERLOCK HOLMES, THE RESCUERS DOWN UNDER and TINY TOONS. By contrast, my exposure to Rosenthal was limited for many years to CLASH OF THE TITANS and the theme to YOUNG INDY. The day I finally began to explore the fuller body of Rosenthal's work, and realized what gems were in store, was a tremendously happy one -- and something I hope will be repeated for other fans, as more and more of Rosenthal's work comes to light on CD!

I'm glad GW hasn't sold out yet -- if I can, I plan on ordering it along with BATMAN to save on shipping! :lol: Sadly, I get the feeling that many younger film music fans, who may have grown up watching movies with Broughton's name attached, are less aware of Rosenthal's prodigious talent and distinguished career. I actually fell into this category -- my awareness and love of Broughton came very early, with projects like YOUNG SHERLOCK HOLMES, THE RESCUERS DOWN UNDER and TINY TOONS. By contrast, my exposure to Rosenthal was limited for many years to CLASH OF THE TITANS and the theme to YOUNG INDY. The day I finally began to explore the fuller body of Rosenthal's work, and realized what gems were in store, was a tremendously happy one -- and something I hope will be repeated for other fans, as more and more of Rosenthal's work comes to light on CD!

You know, it's funny, but I've kind of subconsciously lumped Rosenthal, Broughton, and McNeely into the same group or tier -- even confusing them from time to time.

I've wondered if there were any rhyme or reason to it (excepting my own ignorance). Probably not, but it's become more interesting the more I've learned about them.

You have Rosenthal doing George Washington and Broughton doing George Washington Part II.

Then you have Rosenthal and McNeely doing Young Indiana Jones, and then you have Broughton's Young Sherlock Holmes.

I've probably just weaved a superficial mental web of arbitrary connectivity from all this, but I wonder if anyone else does the same thing?

It's most likely just me and my lack of much familiarity with each one.

Regardless, I look forward to enjoying more of these composers' works in the future.

George Washington is my first Rosenthal purchase. I loved the series as a kid and remember liking the music.

I was pleasantly surprised to learn years later that it was done by a composer that I now recognize.

I've made my first McNeely purchases this year (Shadows of the Empire and Iron Will) but haven't acquired any of Broughton's work yet.

The Schifrin clips are terrific. Maxie sounds to be garden variety Delerue, meaning from a lyrical standpoint it beggars comparison with any film music being written today.

The Rosenthal sounds pretty pleasant, and, in parts, invigorating, but doesn't sound terribly memorable. Then again, memorable is hard to do in this genre -- Williams most recent feature-length foray was notably middling. Mark O'Connor and Richard Einhorn did some massively underrated work on the 1997 PBS documentary Liberty! -- unfortunately the soundtrack release is disproportionately heavy on the folk tune arrangements.

I did the liners for THE MEAN SEASON, and (surprise) I heartily recommend it!

Well, you've got at least one customer here, John. It's years since I saw the movie and the only things I remember about it are Lalo Schifrin's music and Mariel Hemingway in the shower ( 8O ). In fact I think this is the first time I have been able to guess the release from the clues at the Intrada website.

Intrada will bankrupt me yet.

I wasn't sure if The Mean Season was one of the releases or not. I had initially put it in my post then edited out because I didn't see it say "Due 7/20/10".