The Official Intrada Thread

Trent B

Doug's Corner:

As to the two newest releases: one's a single score on a two-CD set at the attractive price of a single disc (19.99). It's in our non-limited MAF series and will be available for awhile. It should never be out of print as far as I'm concerned. Truth-be-told, few film scores surpass this one. It's one of my absolute all-time spot on without a doubt favorites, too. (Ok, so I'll chill with the hype.) Anyway, you no doubt own the first disc in the set (except for the "extras") but the second disc has never been on a CD before. And a classic LP cover finally shows up on CD for the first time, too!

Our other title has its roots in a pulsating seventies-era LP as well, but now includes several previously unreleased cues in the "extras" section, all mastered from the original multi-track stereo session masters. This one is a limited edition. Hopefully one or both of these new releases will strike your fancy!

Definitely Patton!

I have the Varese, I have the FSM, I have a transfer of the LP and I had my own copy I made from the isolated score to include Patton's speech the echo-plex recordings, just to hear Goldsmith get a little testy....:)

So I'll have a bunch o' Patton discs come Monday evening.

I was never able to get the FSM issue and I didn't want to spring to download it on itunes because I always hoped to get the physical copy, and now I can! I LOVE Patton, it's a favorite. I'm very excited for this!

I won't get this right away, because funds are extra tight at the moment, it's unlimited, I already have the FSM release, and I'm gonna try to save up for some of the LaLaLand goodies and whatever else may come before the year is out. However, I am very glad that this score will be more readily available for a while, as I agree that this is one score that should simply not be OOP. It's a classic, a standard of the genre. With the inclusion of the LP program, the alluded-to "extras," and presumably improved sound quality, I expect I'll be picking this up at a future date.

I have Patton but I don't own it, so I'll gladly buy it.

Me too. I've ripped the film tracks off the DVD, and a friend was kind enough to send along a copy of the re-recording.

Perhaps a clue to the next Intrada release in two weeks, posted by Mr. Fake.

I generally stay out of the clue threads since Roger does them more effectively. (I just ramble about little details in the low brass or things like that and end up being, well, clueless.)

Anyhow, I wanted to toss out this comment: Every once in awhile, I feel like putting together one of my own favorite dream projects, just the way I want to hear and see it done. Tuesday's 2-CD set is just one such project. My passion for the score and composer is no secret.

Nor is the next 2-CD set coming in a couple of weeks, which has interesting similarities and is even closer to my - and Intrada's - heart.

--Doug

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3743&start=120

Patton's unlimited, thank the maker. It's on the list, #1 now actually, I might pick it up on my next paycheck depending on how the money falls. And that's really cool they put the echoplex sessions on there too.

If anyone has ever been on the fence about Patton, GET IT. A finer film score you will not find.

Patton's unlimited, thank the maker. It's on the list, #1 now actually, I might pick it up on my next paycheck depending on how the money falls. And that's really cool they put the echoplex sessions on there too.

If anyone has ever been on the fence about Patton, GET IT. A finer film score you will not find.

Absolutely, a great score and the album (Disc 2) is great as well.

It's great this is not a limited release so that some of us can get this a bit later. Simply too much brilliant music is being released this year. Wallet cries for mercy. Must resist the urge to buy this immeadiately. Must save money for food and rent...

Strange they could fit both recordings on one disc. More cost efficient, I think.

Now if only someone could get Tora! Tora! Tora! released.

Karol - who will listen to re-recordings of both scores today :)

Strange they could fit both recordings on one disc. More cost efficient, I think.

Seriously! Disc 1 is 42:43 and disc 2 is 35:02. Thats a total of 77:45, easily fitting on one disc. I'd guess the license they got from Fox and UMG stipulated that they had to be on their own discs

If both "Patton" recordings are different, then which one is on the Isolated music track of the Region 2 D.V.D?

The film score on disc 1, of course. Disc 2 was recorded specifically for LP

Seriously! Disc 1 is 42:43 and disc 2 is 35:02. Thats a total of 77:45, easily fitting on one disc. I'd guess the license they got from Fox and UMG stipulated that they had to be on their own discs

If both "Patton" recordings are different, then which one is on the Isolated music track of the Region 2 D.V.D?

The film score on disc 1, of course. Disc 2 was recorded specifically for LP

Intrada has usually divided the original film score and the album release on a separate disc on many occasions before, e.g. for Alien, Wind and the Lion and How to Steal a Million. Patton of course is the same with the original film score on disc 1 and the LP re-recording on disc 2. And the LP recording has not been previously released on CD.

This provides the opporturnity to choose just one CD and have a rounded listening experience of either. Not very considerate when disc space is concerned but this time they even offer two discs for the price of one. Classy presentation of a classic score.

Actually if you read Doug's comments I quoted on page 53, post #2115, this was his preference as producer as to how Patton was assembled for their release.

I wouldn't sweat it, you're getting 2 discs for the price of one and most of you don't use actual CDs anymore, so why worry?

Actually if you read Doug's comments I quoted on page 53, post #2115, this was his preference as producer as to how Patton was assembled for their release.

I wouldn't sweat it, you're getting 2 discs for the price of one and most of you don't use actual CDs anymore, so why worry?

Wha'? ;) I pride myself not only on my J.W. collection, but my c.d. collection, in general. I hold no truck with "modern" methods of listening (MP3, I-pod, etc.), as I don't want to imagine the loss of sound quality. Until a way of presenting music that offers a better sound quality than c.d. comes onto the market, I shall continue to listen to c.d.s.

If you read the message board you will see that most people these days seem to prefer ripping their CDs to whatever media player they have on their PC, or in some cases rearranging the album to suit there own preferences.

This is a great release and no doubt has been long desired by a ton of fans.

I'm tempted to get it for the historic value alone almost.

However, I'm only familiar with the re-recording and was disappointingly underwhelmed listening to the samples.

It just doesn't seem to sound as full and powerful as the Varese album.

Am I the only one in this predicament?

For the Varese/RSNO re-recording in the 90s, did he follow the sheet music for the original film tracks, the sheet music for the 1970LP re-recording tracks, or was it a combo of both, perhaps with some new arrangements as well?

I hold no truck with "modern" methods of listening (MP3, I-pod, etc.), as I don't want to imagine the loss of sound quality. Until a way of presenting music that offers a better sound quality than c.d. comes onto the market, I shall continue to listen to c.d.s.

There's only a loss of sound quality if you use lossy compression algorithms and/or listen with subpar equipment. If you've ripped the music with a high enough bitrate or in a lossless format and if your speakers or headphones are good enough, the experience is identical to listening on CD - but you have a lot more flexibility.

That's not to say CDs are obsolete, though; they remain the best way to get the music uncompressed, and it's good to have a physical backup, and there's something just inherently fun about having the CDs.

I used to carry around 3 binders of CDs and I still couldn't transport everything that I might want to listen to in a given day.

And I didn't want to make CD-Rs of everything I owned, too daunting, so I would carry the originals. Reminder, at one point, "Napster was legal," and I felt that MP3 was a passing fad and wouldn't last; that was ten years ago, and while there are better codecs available, MP3s still work with digital players.

And so when my online soundtrack CD buying craze exploded about three years ago when I "rediscovered" this board, I knew that I didn't want to spend $150 for a soundtrack set and leave the discs to cook in my car or be stolen. Even a collection of 300 stolen CD-Rs represents tons of hours spent burning the discs.

So a portable MP3 player makes perfect sense. My ears are getting worse, not better. And if it gets stolen or breaks, I'm only out the $250 of the iPod, not the hundreds and hundreds of dollars it would take to replace the albums themselves; the digital files would remain safe on several hard drives and DVD-Rs.

I too will always buy CD's from the labels as long as they keep producing them.

When the CD player in my parents car worked (it's shot right now) I would always take a score along with me to play when it would just be my dad and I driving around.

However, these days I get a score, rip it to my hard drive as wave (then encode to flac), put the disc back on the shelf and don't touch it again unless I have to re-rip it for some reason or another. I have the scores I generally listen to the most on my iPod.

Like Data said an iPod (or mp3 player) gives you more flexibility and you can leave your CD's at home. You won't have to worry about getting them stolen or cook out in the car like Wojo stated. I rarely leave home with out my iPod. I like to listen to it in the car and I generally do listen to it while I'm in the store to block out all the outside noise around me.

Most of us in the film score community definitely prefer physical CD's over downloaded versions. If there ever came a time where only the download version is an option, unless they offer scores in lossless format then I won't ever be downloading them.