The Official Intrada Thread

Trent B

• 2 weeks later...

Clues for next week's Intrada titles

The first releases is one of our rare forays into complete electronics. It comes from the mid 80s and was previously available only on LP, but now appears in expanded CD format. Interestingly the main theme seems like a trial run for a theme the composer wrote just a few months later for an orchestral score to a blockbuster film that made him an A level composer.

The second release is a reissue of an earlier Special Collection release that sold out way too fast. This release is rebuilt from the ground up to offer better fidelity, adds an extra alternate, and slightly modified packaging. Mainly for those that missed it the first time around, but good title to have back in the catalog as it's a classic 70s thriller.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6762

The 80s title is quite clearly Alan Silvestri's Cat's Eye.

The 70s title is some thriller on this list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intrada_Records#Current_categories

It could be Jerry Goldsmith's Capricorn One.

Sadly, if it is, they can't include the LP re-recording in the same package, because stupid Perseverance Records has the rights to that until it sells out.

And the new Intrada releases are

Cat's Eye by Alan Silvestri

and

Capricorn One by Jerry Goldsmith (Re-issue of the original score release)

Capricorn One is an instant buy for me. Great that they re-released it. :)

I shall buy Capricorn One. But not now, will wait a couple of weeks.

It's a pity we can't have a double album. But then, I've got the album recording already (which, of course, is superior).

Karol

I shall buy Capricorn One. But not now, will wait a couple of weeks.

It's a pity we can't have a double album. But then, I've got the album recording already (which, of course, is superior).

Karol

Indeed. The LP re-recording is definitely the finer album but I am glad I got the chance to own the original tracks as I missed the release 10 years ago.

I bought this ten years ago.

Good for you!

I'd say so; It just recently made #10 on my Jerry Goldsmith Top 10 in that thread, in fact.

It was certainly very influential on action scores that followed it.

In additional to the actual film cues (which is what's on the new Intrada CD), Jerry re-recorded from scratch an album presentation that was used for the OST LP at the time of the film's release.

That is currently in print on the Perseverance Records label for $13:

http://www.fortytwotradingco.com/capricorn-one/

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/21976/CAPRICORN-ONE/

http://www.moviemusic.com/soundtrack/M08610/capricorn-one/

Many of us were hoping Perseverance would have sold 3,000 copies / let their license lapse before Intrada re-issued the film tracks again so the LP could be included in a 2 disc set. Oh well. Guess they didn't want to wait!

• 2 weeks later...

First clues for Tuesday's titles

One is a golden age release and if you've been paying attention or picked up our last one you'll know what it is.

The second is an expanded reissue of an early 90s Intrada release. Outdoors adventure score with now more than double the length of the first release which ran just about 30 minutes.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=12

Yea, gotta be Rozsa's Desert Fury and Broughton's Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey

Doug Fake has posted some hints about releases they are working on (that I suppose could come out in 2 weeks or 2 years or anywhere in between)

Fear not for more is coming. Hey, that's a cue title from Chris Young's The Fly II score. Golly. But knowing your interest leans towards that golden age stuff, we've demonstrated our MO some time ago: We like it all, be it old or new. So you'll be getting plenty more of both. Some of my favorites from the older years are Steiner, Rozsa, Skinner, Waxman, Friedhofer... and you'll be seeing more of their stuff ahead. And for those "younger" years, expect more Goldsmith, Williams, Horner, Broughton, Giacchino and a bunch more of those guys, too. And for the "in-betweeners" we're keeping tabs on more Bernstein, Previn, Jarre, North and many of their peers. In my humble opinion, there're literally volumes of great music still waiting to be restored and presented. Let them flow like water from a spigot, Peter. And pick and choose your preferences to your hearts content. :D

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=73513#p73513

Bolding is mine

The Goldsmith could be almost anything! Supergirl seems like a strong candidate.

The Williams is probably Jaws 2 and Jaws 1, right?

Horner - Got I hope its The Rocketeer! Volunteers we know is coming at some point, too.

What Giacchino score could they be working on? Probably Incredibles, Sky High, or Ratatouille, based on their track record with Disney?

Latest Intrada titles going Out Of Print (on August 24th):

I have an early day tomorrow so I wanted to get these out a little earlier than usual. The first goes all the way back to 2013. A small sci-fi film with a score by a guy who is no stranger to sci-fi or fantasy. New to Intrada, though.

The second is a classic animated film from the early 80s that gets a slight expansion. It's been on CD twice, and the second presentation was a great album. While there's more music in the film, the main thing missing was one set piece cue. After an exhaustive search (did I say it was exhaustive?), we able to locate...the multitrack for that missing set piece. The other bits and pieces were not to be found anywhere. But what a find! We also located some alternate vocal demos. This is it guys...it's as good as it's going to get. But going back to the original masters allowed for updated mastering as well.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6797

This seems to be THE SECRET OF NIMH by Goldsmith with the below-linked cue hopefully the surviving one. A shame it hasn't surfaced complete. It's positively rousing.

I implicitly trust your sage advise on this. I shan't get it no matter what!

Yes yes like the thousands of other scores I should already own!

Yeah, if at all possible.

Who was that guy again that did the amazing job for The Salamander, translating the score as he heard it into notes?

Same goes for the QB VII, which was also orchestrated and prepared by ear by Aaron Purvis. Did he also do the job on Salamander?

How long is the entire score then?

Karol

I'd say probably 15-20 minutes more. It's...ahemmmm...ironic that so much middling Goldsmith lies there in pristine form but his true benchmarks languish in obscurity and unlabelled boxes.

This seems to be THE SECRET OF NIMH by Goldsmith with the below-linked cue hopefully the surviving one. A shame it hasn't surfaced complete. It's positively rousing.

How much (relevant) music is still missing, then? The Varese CD has great sound "character", but is awfully hissy, so a remaster has long been overdue.

secretofnimh01.jpg

secretofnimh02.jpg

secretofnimh03.jpg

Expanded release of richly melodic, highly exciting Jerry Goldsmith soundtrack for popular Don Bluth animation film from Robert C. O'Brien novel "Mrs. Frisby And The Rats Of NIMH", with voices of Elizabeth Hartman, Dom DeLuise, Derek Jacobi, Hermione Baddeley, Peter Strauss, John Carradine. Original 1982 album offered generous 48-minute program featuring all of the major cues save one lengthy dramatic sequence entitled "At Your Service" and a few shorter bits. For some three decades, complete session elements have been lost and sadly remain as such. But exhaustive search did yield significant reward: Len Engel's actual first generation 1982 dbx-encoded album master plus 3 rolls of 1" and 1/2" multi-track tape offered complete album - and at last! - the previously unreleased "At Your Service". Three additional demo theme recordings featuring both Paul Williams and Sally Stevens were also present on masters. Jerry Goldsmith fashioned his music in epic-scale for large orchestra plus chorus with nods to classic styles of Debussy, Stravinsky as well as his own landmark Poltergeist. Resulting score offers magical moments, beautiful theme, awe-inspiring colors plus incredibly ferocious action music. Another big asset: several sequences are quite lengthy. Total score now runs 53 minutes. Ten additional minutes of demos bring CD up to 63 minutes. Courtesy MGM, Intrada re-mastered CD now offers nearly-complete program in dynamic stereo. Informative liner notes from Jeff Bond plus flipper-style cover artwork and interior package design by Joe Sikoryak add rich graphics to compliment Goldsmith's legendary score. Recorded May 4-7, 1982 at CTS Studios in London. Jerry Goldsmith conducts National Philharmonic Orchestra, Ambrosian Singers. Intrada Special Collection CD release available while quantities and interest remain!

01. Main Title (3:15)

02. Allergic Reaction/Athletic Type (2:42)

03. Flying Dreams – Lullaby (Vocal: Sally Stevens) (3:18)

04. The Tractor (3:00)

05. The Sentry Reel/The Story Of NIMH (6:05)

06. At Your Service* (3:39)

07. Escape From NIMH/In Disguise (5:02)

08. Flying Dreams (Vocal: Paul Williams) (3:21)

09. Step Inside My House (4:43)

10. No Thanks (2:03)

11. Moving Day (8:00)

12. The House Raising (4:36)

13. Flying High/End Title (2:39)

Total Score Time: 53:00

The Extras

14. Flying Dreams – End Title Demo (Vocal: Sally Stevens)* (3:15)

15. Flying Dreams – Demo (Vocal: Paul Wlliams)* (3:21)

16. Flying Dreams – Demo (Piano Duet)* (3:24)

Total Extras Time: 10:09

*Previously Unreleased

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.9739/.f?sc=13&category=-113

Listening to the clips just now... what a magically superb score this remains, Jerry's creativity knew no bounds.

I'm not sure if one extra cue is enough to buy it again, but the sound quality upgrade seems to be worth it I think.

I might as well order this and that lion film from the same composer. :D

The latter. I was on the fence for it, but there's really no point arguing in that Ghost and The Darkness (and NIMH) is as must-have as they come. With all the money I save on not buying current scores I have no excuse anymore.

Listening to the clips just now... what a magically superb score this remains, Jerry's creativity knew no bounds.

I'm not sure if one extra cue is enough to buy it again, but the sound quality upgrade seems to be worth it I think.

I might as well order this and that lion film from the same composer. :D

I've been waiting for a remaster for years. The recording sounds great, but the Varese disc is very hissy. The one extra cue isn't as much as I might have hoped for, but it's still a welcome bonus.

I'm now listening to my TER release (which I think is the same as the Varèse), and the sound is already great. I also love the arranging of the tracks. A very nicely sequenced album. Who cares about film order... not me.

Now I'm not so sure whether to get the new one. One cue and slightly better sound. Hmm... I'll have to think about this, but I'm 40-60 % in the yes-no department.