• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gosh I hope Willow is in the works, and coming soon!

Really? IMHO that score is terrible in either form once you get past the main titles.  Could be my disdain for the movie itself tainting the soundtrack. 

Here's Doug Fake's take on The Mummy Returns back from May 2001:   The Mummy returns to the ballpark, Jerry Goldsmith stays in the dugout.      So Alan Silvestri comes up to bat, hits a ho

^Wonder in what condition the sources are? Hope it's not like Peter Proud.

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

Legends of the Fall is a wonderful score.  I'm not sure if I need more, since the OST is already a bit repetitive.  I wouldn't call it too long, though.

I need to relisten to my DVD iso.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I hadn't either!  Turns out it's a Fox movie from 1963

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Take_Her,_She's_Mine

http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/title/19699/

I think it was actually Jerry’s *first* work for Fox! In the Varese Fox Box liner notes they claimed it was lost/unsalvageable. But maybe new tech and the magical Mattesino have managed to rescue it.

It sounds pretty darn good for a 1963 score that was supposedly lost, IMO. Roger shared the Main Title from the new master on the Intrada board:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ard10psremh5c72/Number 12.mp3?dl=0

Jerry Goldsmith does a Henry Mancini comedy score! (Actually this was also Jerry’s first ever comedy feature score, and very different from the Joe Dante ones later in his career.) It’s a lightweight bit of fluff, certainly, but it’s still identifiably Jerry and an exciting find.

Yavar

Great to finally see Legends of the Fall getting the expanded treatment! It's a wonderful score, probably Horner's masterpiece (not Titanic, lol).

I do have the bootleg with all the unreleased material not on the OST, it's about 15 minutes of music that will probably be on the expansion. Some highlights are:

• More music for the first act, with the letters and Susannah arriving at the station. Chronologically, it's between Legends of the Fall and The Ludlows.
  • Film Version of The Ludlows, including Henry Thomas' vocal performance of "Twilight and Mist" and a shorter ending.
  • Film Version of Off to War (a little inferior to the OST version, in my opinion)
  • Letters from the Front, a wonderful, sad cue played as Samuel writes for his fiancee from the war front.
  • Tristan Returns, not the one on the OST, but the one that plays as Brad Pitt returns from war. Includes the main themes, but it's not exactly different from what is already available on the OST.
  • The cue for the first time Tristan and Susannah have sex.
  • A dramatic cue for synths, snare drums and shakuhachi that plays before Farewell, when Tristan is trying to kill a bear.
  • A beautiful, sad cue that plays as Susannah visits Tristan on the prison. The material from the OST's Goodbyes is greatly expanded. Horner's music underscores Tristan's anger, and it's a great example of psychological scoring from him.
  • The music that plays after Susannah's death, with Alfred mourning her. It starts with some sad strings and it's followed by the main theme on fiddle.
3 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Jerry Goldsmith does a Henry Mancini comedy score! Actually It’s a lightweight bit of fluff, certainly, but it’s still identifiably Jerry and an exciting find.

Everyone and his dog morphed into Henry Mancini in the '60s it seems. Johnny Williams comedy scores from that era are a hoot!

OH MY GOD!!!!

Legends of the Fall is my most wanted Horner's expansion.

And I think it is top 3 of his best.

This is my Holy Grail!

I though it is not going to happen because of Sony's new policy. I am so happy that I was wrong!

This is a must have!

Now all I need is a expanded or reissue of The Land Before Time......

2 hours ago, ManofDestiny said:

OH MY GOD!!!!

Legends of the Fall is my most wanted Horner's expansion.

And I think it is top 3 of his best.

This is my Holy Grail!

I though it is not going to happen because of Sony's new policy. I am so happy that I was wrong!

This is a must have!

Now all I need is a expanded or reissue of The Land Before Time......

I'm intrigued - what's the OST missing?

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'm intrigued - what's the OST missing?

Look a few posts above! There is approximately 20 minutes of unreleased cues and add to it various alternates that could be included. A 2CD set would suffice with an average 50 minutes per disc. (There is no point in having a remastered OST as disc 2 plus it wont fit) 

4/16/2020

Two cool releases are on our April 21 docket. Pending limited business hours and non-essential freight deliveries, we look forward to offering for musical comfort the world premiere release of Jerry Goldsmith’s early comedic effort for Take Her, She’s Mine, a 1963 James Stewart movie for 20th Century Fox. Goldsmith fans convinced this one would never happen should be tickled! For James Horner’s audience, and the larger public that swooned over it, Legends Of The Fall arrives in a newly-remastered and expanded 2-CD set. I mention, just for fun, this score happens to be my own personal favorite Horner effort. More emotional themes than you can shake a stick at! Artwork, contents and sound samples for both releases should be available here this coming Monday eve. Stay safe!

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8425

Re: Take Her, She's Mine -- It seems that a bit of the score remained unsalvageable, but we still have gotten more ("nearly all") than we ever expected:
"There's only a handful of Goldsmith scores that have yet to be released in any form, and the music elements for this title were long thought damaged beyond use. But with advances in technology and the meticulous work of restoration expert Chris Malone, Intrada is able to present nearly all of Goldsmith's score in stereo. Malone had to restore the audio of each channel separately to get the wondrous results heard here. Rather than compromise the naturally wide instrumental spread, which was never intended for a stereo mix, Intrada also offers a mono presentation of the program as heard in the film."
http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8430

Purchase page with lots of samples: http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.12179/.f?sc=13&category=22848

Re: Legends of the Fall -- many more alternates and such than expected! Quite a packed 2-CD set:
http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.12172/.f?sc=13&category=22848

Yavar

I'm surprised we never had a thread for the Intrada edition of Chinatown.  Anyways,

Hi Roger,

Do you have a timeline on when Intrada might repress CHINATOWN?

Stay healthy!

Saul

It's being repressed as we speak. Should be in soon.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=82389#p82389

Chinatown and Roger Rabbit will be able to be ordered again tonight when The River goes live

5/2/2020

Staying safe continues to be the common greeting/parting these days. Let it continue to be. This coming Tuesday brings sheltered (and unsheltered) listeners another new Intrada release, and a great one it is. Alongside it are a pair of long out-of-stock titles. New is the expanded (by 20 minutes) CD of John Williams’ evocative slice of Americana, 1984’s The River, starring Mel Gibson and Sissy Spacek. Mark Rydell directed, reuniting with Williams after The Reivers, The Cowboys and Cinderella Liberty. Returning to our shelves and perhaps landing on yours as well are two of Intrada’s best-selling expanded editions: Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Chinatown, both top drawer scores by respectively Alan Silvestri and Jerry Goldsmith. Visit us here on Tuesday the 5th and order one, two or maybe even all three of the releases. You’ll be happy you did. Yep… and stay safe.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8451

• 4 weeks later...

I just hope it was done by a competent producer who didn't eff it up.  Intrada's history is spotty in this regard.  Horner expansions are usually done by Bulk and/or Matessino, right?  I hope Willow gets one or both of them.

I don't know how Doug decides which Horner expansions to do himself, vs which ones he has Matessino do

Produced by Doug Fake:

• Batteries Not Included
  • Balto
  • Clear and Present Danger
  • Cocoon
  • A Far Off Place
  • Gorky Park
  • The Rocketeer
  • Troy

Produced by Mike Matessino

• Apollo 13
  • An American Tail
  • Legends of the Fall

I hope he lets Matessino do Willow but there's no way to predict.

I'm so curious to know how they assemble the program.  The OST is notable for how long its tracks are, but that's because a lot of cues really are meant to flow into each other.

Just check out my iso score videos made with the OST.  It was possible to split a couple of the longer tracks in places.

On 4/23/2018 at 3:21 PM, Disco Stu said:

Willow

Reveal hidden contents

21 minutes ago, Demondm810 said:

Yeah I haven't had an issue with their releases for Horner.  I don't understand people's issue with the Rocketeer.  Maybe because I don't ever listen with headphones i don't notice the same issues. 

I do listen with headphones and I think Intrada's Rocketeer sounds incredible!

12 hours ago, crocodile said:

Just a quick update on Willow from Roger.

So at least we know now it is definitely coming. :)

Good to know. What does "approved" mean in this context though? Not final approval including track list and artwork, I imagine, or the only thing left to do would be the physical production and they'd have at least a rough estimate?

12 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Good to know. What does "approved" mean in this context though? Not final approval including track list and artwork, I imagine, or the only thing left to do would be the physical production and they'd have at least a rough estimate?

It means Lucasfilm approved their request for a license to release a new soundtrack album of music from that property.

It doesn't mean they even have the music yet, or that the Disney vaults even contain the proper elements.  Licenses are granted all the time for albums that never actually come out.

For anyone curious about what Take Her, She's Mine sounded like before Chris Malone got ahold of it, Chris gave us a sample of the "before", which we incorporated into the latest Goldsmith Odyssey Interview with Neil S. Bulk, who also worked on that release. Check out our conversation if you have the time; we cover all or most of the Goldsmith releases Neil has worked on, over the years...

http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/3978677-odyssey-interviews-neil-s-bulk-part-1
http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/3978893-odyssey-interviews-neil-s-bulk-part-2

odyssey_interviews_neil_s_bulk.jpg

Yavar

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...