21 minutes ago, Jay said:

I got bored and dug up Roger's quote about upcoming titles again

Titles aren't coming out in the same order he listed them, but 6 out of the 11 are known now

1. DeVol - Flight of the Phoenix (Feb 23)
  2. Kamen - Company Business (Apr 6)
  3. Goldsmith - Face of a Fugitive (Mar 23)
  4. Elfman - ????????????????????
  5. Williams - ????????????????????
  6. Goldsmith - Rio Conchos (May 4)
  7. Bernstein - Legal Eagles (Mar 9)
  8. Folk - Toy Soldiers (TBD)
  9. Goldsmith - ????????????????????
  10. Poledouris - ????????????????????
  11. Zimmer - ????????????????????

The 5 most exciting composers (for me) remain!

What could they be?

Elfman - Midnight Run? Nightbreed? Sommersby? Dead Presidents? To Die For? The Frighteners? Men In Black? A Simple Plan? Sleepy Hollow?

Goldsmith - maybe they are re-mastering their Islands In The Stream re-recording like they did for Ivanhoe and Rio Conchos?

Poledouris - Jungle Book? Les Misérables?

Zimmer - Bird on a Wire? Fools of Fortune? Pacific Heights? Toys? Cool Runnings? Radio Flyer?

The Poledouris is almost certainly the long-in-the-works Conan the Destroyer...but I would be ecstatic for one of the two you mentioned. And more than anything else I want an expansion of Free Willy 2 -- the Sony soundtrack album only included three cues (about ten minutes) of that amazing thematic orchestral seafaring score, compared with its predecessor which also got a score/song combo album but which had almost half an hour of score and much better represented the highlights of that one.

For Zimmer, Cool Runnings would be neat. For Elfman, I'd love for The Nightmare Before Christmas to get a definitive standalone release, with everything he recorded for the film.

The Goldsmith I think is more likely to be a surprise rather than just another reissue so soon after Rio Conchos/The Artist Who Did Not Want to Paint. They did that one because the previous CD edition had sold out. The previous CD edition of their Islands in the Stream re-recording on the other hand is still in print so I doubt they feel any urgency to "bring it back" yet.

You should be more excited about Robert Folk's Toy Soldiers. It's an incredible score; probably his best.

Yavar

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't think it's right for me to participate in the speculation of any upcoming Williams releases.  I know too much!

Intrada: Can we release expanded SW scores? Disney: No, we will do that ourselves. Intrada: That means they will get a release? Disney: No.

Really? IMHO that score is terrible in either form once you get past the main titles.  Could be my disdain for the movie itself tainting the soundtrack. 

19 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

The Poledouris is almost certainly the long-in-the-works Conan the Destroyer

Wow, somehow I legit forgot about that!

more than anything else I want an expansion of Free Willy 2 -- the Sony soundtrack album only included three cues (about ten minutes) of that amazing thematic orchestral seafaring score, compared with its predecessor which also got a score/song combo album but which had almost half an hour of score and much better represented the highlights of that one.

Thanks for the reminder, I've been meaning to check out his Free Willy scores!

For Elfman, I'd love for The Nightmare Before Christmas to get a definitive standalone release, with everything he recorded for the film.

Man, I would love that soooo so much!  I have a feeling that's a score Disney Records will forever keep for themselves, though.  Here's hoping for an entry in the Legacy Collection - and that they hire Neil to oversee it and he is given the free reign to make it completely definitive!

The Goldsmith I think is more likely to be a surprise rather than just another reissue so soon after Rio Conchos

I'm sure you already know what is is ;)

You should be more excited about Robert Folk's Toy Soldiers.

What led you to assume that I am not?

23 minutes ago, Jay said:

Thanks for the reminder, I've been meaning to check out his Free Willy scores!

All three scores in the trilogy are wonderful. I used to fantasize about Varese doing a trilogy Deluxe Edition box set along the lines of their Karate Kid set, since they control Cliff Eidelman's score (with some references to Poledouris) for the third score in perpetuity. But Free Willy 2 is by far the best of the three scores, IMO, but most people don't know it because only 10 minutes got released compared to almost half an hour for the scores on either side of it.

Man, I would love that soooo so much!  I have a feeling that's a score Disney Records will forever keep for themselves, though.  Here's hoping for an entry in the Legacy Collection - and that they hire Neil to oversee it and he is given the reigns to make it definitive!

That would be amazing.

I'm sure you already know what is is ;)

I know things it could be. I thought I knew what the three Goldsmith releases in Roger's list were (no I'm not talking :)), but then the Rio Conchos reissue turned out to be a total surprise and threw me off...

What makes you assume I am not?

Oh, just that you wrote "The 5 most exciting composers (for me) remain!" (seemed to imply the Robert Folk was on the less exciting end, for you)

Yavar

1 hour ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Oh, just that you wrote "The 5 most exciting composers (for me) remain!" (seemed to imply the Robert Folk was on the less exciting end, for you)

Yavar

I wasn't implying that no; I was just saying the remaining composers are the most exciting to me in terms of their entire bodies of work.  I wasn't commenting in any way on the titles that had been revealed (I've never actually heard Flight of the Phoenix, Company Business, Face of a Fugitive, Rio Conchos, Legal Eagles, or Toy Soldiers before in any form nor seen any of those movies)

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

I bought the 2013 remaster (and the LLL edition of the film recordings), just haven't had time to check out either yet

Make Track 1 of the Intrada LSO album (The Artist Who Did Not Want to Paint) priority listening, ASAP. My single favorite piece by Goldsmith and I like the incredible LSO version even better than the more intimate sounding original. Seriously, it's essential. Give it a try and maybe you'll be inspired to let the disc keep playing into Rio Conchos.

Yavar

34 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Make Track 1 of the Intrada LSO album (The Artist Who Did Not Want to Paint) priority listening, ASAP. My single favorite piece by Goldsmith and I like the incredible LSO version even better than the more intimate sounding original. Seriously, it's essential. Give it a try and maybe you'll be inspired to let the disc keep playing into Rio Conchos.

Yavar

This is the main reason why I bought this. I've got the digital version ofthe original recording. Missed that one. :(

Karol

The original album also had stuff like the (admittedly cool) Patrick Stewart narration which was not even in the film. I want a two disc set with every alternate and demo. Disc 1 would be all film versions of songs and score in chronological order.

Yavar

I wonder if Intrada has a title on the 18th or not?

Jan 12 - Psycho III {revealed 11 days prior on Friday Jan 1}

Jan 26 - none 

Feb 9 - none

Feb 23 - Flight of the Phoenix {revealed 7 days prior on Tuesday Feb 16}

Mar 9 - Legal Eagles {revealed 10 days prior on Saturday Feb 27}

Mar 23 - Face of a Fugitive {revealed 24 days prior on Saturday Feb 27}

Apr 6 - Company Business {revealed 5 days prior on Thursday Apr 1}

Apr 20 - none

May 4 - Rio Conchos {revealed 5 days prior on Thursday Apr 29}

May 18 - ??? {nothing posted yet, currently 5 days prior}

Jun 1 - ???

Jun 15 - ???

Jun 29 - ???

9 hours ago, TSMefford said:

Just popping in to say that I, too, would love an expansion of all three Free Willy scores, but especially the 2nd. It’s due time for it!

I remember trying to take a cassette recorder to a repeated cinema viewing to try and get a recording of the climactic burning oil scene music, which I missed sorely on the rudimentary CD :unsure:, but for the life of me can't remember how that turned out... suffice to say, a comprehensive release of this score would be most welcome!

On 5/12/2021 at 2:35 PM, Jay said:

Additionally in the box set, on various other discs, you can find the original demo versions of all the songs (all with Elfman vocals instead of the cast), instrumental versions of all the songs, and some new musicbox recordings.

For NIGHTMARE, if they did ever do a new release, I do hope they still include the song instrumentals on a second disc. It was a grail for me to finally have those. However, if they do, I hope they fix the volume leveling issues of them. It is clear they took them from a stem (you can even still hear a vocal echo faintly in one part of a track), which is fine since it is likely the only way to do it. But the uneven volume leveling within each of the tracks (which I suppose was done as part of the film mix for the vocals and effects) was distracting and inconsistent. I was able to fix this largely myself, but it'd be nice to have it professionally done I suppose. "What's This?" is the biggest example of this, and it even cuts off the final bit where Jack would have said "Christmas Town? Hmmm...", where music was still playing.

Also, I may be wrong, but wasn't there still at least one score cue that was NOT included in the set for NIGHTMARE? I don't recall which part it was now, but it may have been when the Mayor is ringing the doorbell looking for Jack in Halloween Town before he comes back from Christmas Town.

Yea I do believe there was was still one short cue not included in the box, and yea, the presentation of the instrumental mixes was very amateurish and I'm sure if Neil or Mike were given all the elements that exist they'd make a better album

On 5/15/2021 at 11:10 AM, scallenger said:

Also, I may be wrong, but wasn't there still at least one score cue that was NOT included in the set for NIGHTMARE? I don't recall which part it was now, but it may have been when the Mayor is ringing the doorbell looking for Jack in Halloween Town before he comes back from Christmas Town.

There is a section of unreleased music between Doctor Finkelstein / In the Forest. It does have the same themes heard in Sally's Lament / Wandering Jack.

Been ages since I bought anything indulgent (movies, games, soundtracks), but I always liked Deepstar Six’s opening theme and never had a means of hearing the rest.   Grabbed it just for the fun of having a monster movie score I hadn’t heard before!

Intrada would love to release Giorgio Moroder's score to Over The Top, but the elements can't be found

It's a pity that this fascinating score hasn't been released yet ... :(
I'm starting to think it will never happen ...

It won't until the music elements surface. Haven't had any luck finding them.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=83915#p83915

1 hour ago, fommes said:

Does anyone know when the next Intrada release is planned? I'd like to get one more order in before the EU starts to charge customs on everything.

June 1st they are releasing Shamus by Jerry Goldsmith.

Yavar

They pretty consistently release titles every-other week, though occasionally miss one if nothing is ready. 

Jan 12 - Psycho III

Jan 26 - none 

Feb 9 - none

Feb 23 - Flight of the Phoenix

Mar 9 - Legal Eagles

Mar 23 - Face of a Fugitive

Apr 6 - Company Business

Apr 20 - none

May 4 - Rio Conchos

May 18 - Deepstar Six

Jun 1 - Shamus

Jun 15 - ???

Jun 29 - ???

On 5/30/2021 at 8:10 AM, fommes said:

Does anyone know when the next Intrada release is planned? I'd like to get one more order in before the EU starts to charge customs on everything.

CALL OF THE WILD?

Fingers crossed

Holy F*ing s**t

Shipping to Europe nowadays:

effective March 31 2021
Europe (Air Mail)
1 Disc $16.00
2-7 Discs $26.00
8-11 Discs $41.00
12-15 Discs $60.00
16-19 Discs $76.00
20-23 Discs $80.00
24-27 Discs $95.00
then $4.00 for every 4 Discs thereafter

I have never ordered more than 2 things... And with lack of stock lately..is imposible to do batch orders... and its risky not getting CDs on release date...

I'm pretty sure last time I ordered from Intrada, the cost for 2 discs at checkout wasn't as much as it said on their shipping page. It's worth making up a mock order to confirm the final total.

It's why I picked up War of the Worlds individually in the end.

Move to America.

You pay little for shipping but hospitalization will bankrupt you!

Then, 

it won't matter😒

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The best is to order seven albums, possibly several copies of popular titles to fill up the order. Then sell them on JWFAN when they're OOP.

Worked for me!

Screenshot_2021-05-10-22-09-32~4.png

• 2 weeks later...

Update from Doug Fake:

6/21/2021

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/sc.13/category.60330/.f

Though there have been oodles of new Jerry Goldsmith CDs released to fans everywhere, I will step outside my comfort zone as one of those fans and admit the recent release I keep returning to these last few days was written by another composer. Yep! This says nothing less of the Goldsmith titles, only that I’m playing one by Maurice Jarre endlessly at the moment. Music Box Records unearthed an early gem by the Academy Award-winner, in this instance his terrific score for the 1964 WWII picture Weekend At Dunkirk. I saw the film at our military base theater when I was just a kid and immediately took a liking to Jarre’s music. This is the fabulous era when he delivered The Train and Behold A Pale Horse, to say nothing of his earlier Lawrence Of Arabia and soon-to-be Doctor Zhivago and The Collector. What a run of incredible scores! In fairness to the Goldsmith junkies, some of his recent releases came from Intrada so I’ve listened to them in far more detail than I’m likely to ever manage with Weekend At Dunkirk. In any case, if you admire early Jarre music, that latter title is one to savor. Coming next from Intrada is another one to savor, courtesy of our relationship with Disney. Stay tuned.

9 minutes ago, Holko said:

Could it be Call of the Wild? Powell confirmed it was coming.

No way it's Call of the Wild! Intrada wouldn't get everyone's hopes up with a boring physical release of an album that was released digitally 1.5 years ago, right?

I'd love an expansion of Call of the Wild but considering it's an LA recording, presumably any release would just be a straight reissue of the digital OST.

Those damn union fees are such a buzzkill; that score deserves an expansion.

50 minutes ago, Chewy said:

a boring physical release of an album that was released digitally 1.5 years ago, right?

I'll be happy for those who never bought it digitally (or even haven't heard it yet at all), but for the rest of us..... my sentiments are close to this.

Not sure I feel I need any more music from this anyway - compared to what I heard in my brief viewing of parts of the film, the album is an excellent listening experience.