The Official Intrada Thread

Trent B

59 minutes ago, NL197 said:

I know about these releases, but "Demaster" is clearly some sarcastic term I'm not aware of. 

That's because they all suck in various ways. Except RotJ maybe. So instead of Remastered we dubbed them Demastered.

Just a quick question about Intrada's website. I was wondering why certain score where labeled as "Sold Out" while most of OOP scores pages are usually deleted. Does this mean that those scores are likely to come back or are they just randomly still up?

Nah, it only means they haven't bothered to remove the page yet.  They tend to purge the pages for OOP titles in big swaths, it never just happens automatically when stuff sells out or anything.

Thanks, I've always wondered especially as some of them are one that I've missed like Balto, The Rocketeer or The Shadow and they are always teasing me... evil them :P

By the way there's an incredible score that I've never heard about it's apparently Williams first score since it was writen in 1946:

image.png

Ha, that's funny they put its a wonder life under the wrong composer!

Balto and The Shadow sold out a while back and have never returned.  Maybe they'll revisit them someday?  Who knows!

The Rocketeer was in print for a long time and they even reissued it with remastered sound.  I hadn't realized that remastered edition was no longer for sale physically (or I did but forgot); However, you can buy it as a digital download in 16/44.1 on qobuz

https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/album/the-rocketeer-james-horner/xxyk109u1cnea

On 18/12/2021 at 8:55 PM, Jay said:

Roger says

"Composer line up for 2022 (partial) And in no particular order: James Horner, Jerry Goldsmith, James Horner, Michael Kamen, Basil Poledouris, James Horner, Miklos Rozsa, John Williams, Alan Silvestri, Henry Mancini, Jay Chattaway. And hopefully more."

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8827

I'll definitely get whatever the Williams release is. The only other one I'd be interested in is Kamen, hopefully Three Musketeers or What Dreams May Come paired with Ennio Morricones rejected score would be a dream release.

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/01/2022 at 8:30 AM, JTWfan77 said:

So do these count as one or two Horners I wonder?

I mean Horner wrote the original score in 1982, the same year as Star Trek II, and the sequel score nearly a decade later in 1990. I *kinda* understand someone treating his two Trek efforts as "one long score", but would people treat his two American Tails or two Zorros that way? That would be weird, to me.

Yavar

On 18/12/2021 at 3:55 PM, Jay said:

Roger says

"Composer line up for 2022 (partial) And in no particular order: James Horner, Jerry Goldsmith, James Horner, Michael Kamen, Basil Poledouris, James Horner, Miklos Rozsa, John Williams, Alan Silvestri, Henry Mancini, Jay Chattaway. And hopefully more."

I wonder what on earth the Chattaway could be.  I've never heard of anything he's done outside of Star Trek and besides, (a) I can't see Intrada stepping into LLL's Trek territory and (b) I can't see anyone doing a "just Chattaway" Trek release anyway.

On 04/01/2022 at 7:10 PM, Yavar Moradi said:

I mean Horner wrote the original score in 1982, the same year as Star Trek II, and the sequel score nearly a decade later in 1990. I *kinda* understand someone treating his two Trek efforts as "one long score", but would people treat his two American Tails or two Zorros that way? That would be weird, to me.

Yavar

But also, and no offense to the scores or fans of them, these are minor enough in Horner's oeuvre that I think it makes more sense to group discussion of them into a single thread.

I think horror scores in general are pretty niche, way more so than horror movies themselves

I've never seen those films and have no clues what their scores are like.  Just seemed like the most popular thing he's done outside of Star Trek

Yea, I can't wait to find out what the Silvestri is too!  Super Mario Bros would be neat, Contact would be amazing.

I also wonder what the Henry Mancini could be!  It will likely be an old film I've never seen and maybe never heard of, but every time I listen to any of his music I end up liking it so I'm excited to find out what it is

It just feels like it's been a few years since we had a really notable, "big" Silvestri expansion.  Roger Rabbit and Mummy Returns were both 2018, was there a big anticipated expansion for him in 2019, 2020, or 2021 that I'm having a brain-fart forgetting?   Y'all know what I mean and it's not meant as a slight on the expansions of smaller movies, which are often the ones I appreciate most anyway.

Contact is a nice score, but I don't think that the extra music from the DVD iso really adds anything - just variations of the same material.

The scene with Ellie sitting on the edge of the canyon, and when they're decoding the 3D signal are two nice little cues, but that's it for me.

Overall it doesn't feel like there's as much big Silvestri material to expand than many other composers.

12 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

It just feels like it's been a few years since we had a really notable, "big" Silvestri expansion.  Roger Rabbit and Mummy Returns were both 2018, was there a big anticipated expansion for him in 2019, 2020, or 2021 that I'm having a brain-fart forgetting?   Y'all know what I mean and it's not meant as a slight on the expansions of smaller movies, which are often the ones I appreciate most anyway.

I'm having trouble coming up with a Silvestri expansion of any kind, big or small, since 2018.  Has he really been so neglected?  :( 

10 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm having trouble coming up with a Silvestri expansion of any kind, big or small, since 2018.  Has he really been so neglected?  :( 

Surely Polar Express should be at the top of this list?

True he’s not had any expansions recently but overall he’s done pretty well. Lots of more obscure entries having been released. 

39 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Here's a complete list of every specialty label Alan Silvestri expansion / premiere

1. 2002-07-29 - Romancing The Stone (1984) - Varese
  2. 2003-08-19 - Predator (1987) - Varese
  3. 2008-07-28 - Delta Force (1986) - Intrada
  4. 2009-11-23 - Back To The Future (1985) - Intrada
  5. 2010-03-09 - Dutch (1991) - La-La Land
  6. 2010-03-23 - Eraser (1996) - La-La Land
  7. 2010-11-02 - Predator (1987) - Intrada
  8. 2011-09-20 - Young Guns II (1990) - Intrada
  9. 2011-11-02 - Overboard (1987) - Music Box 
  10. 2012-03-06 - Predator (1987) - Intrada
  11. 2012-05-14 - Clan Of The Cave Bear (1986) - Varese (Encore though, so not expanded)
  12. 2012-10-09 - The Bodyguard (1992) - La-La Land
  13. 2013-06-25 - Fandango (1985) - Intrada 
  14. 2013-07-16 - Clean Slate (1994) / The Perez Family (1995) - Music Box
  15. 2013-09-11 - Delta Force (1986) - Quartet
  16. 2013-12-09 - Blown Away (1994) - Intrada
  17. 2014-01-06 - The Abyss (1989) - Varese
  18. 2014-05-06 - Mac and Me - Quartet
  19. 2014-09-02 - Summer Rental (1985) / Critical Condition (1987) - Quartet
  20. 2014-12-01 - Predator 2 (1990) - Varese
  21. 2015-05-12 - Judge Dredd (1995) - Intrada
  22. 2015-07-21 - Cat's Eye (1985) - Intrada
  23. 2015-02-26 - Soapdish (1991) - Quartet
  24. 2015-10-20 - Back To The Future (1985) - Intrada
  25. 2015-10-20 - Back To The Future 2 (1989) - Intrada
  26. 2015-10-27 - Back To The Future 3 (1990) - Varese
  27. 2016-05-09 - Volcano (1997) - Varese
  28. 2017-08-25 - Romancing The Stone (1984) - La-La Land
  29. 2018-01-26 - Who Framed Roger Rabbit? (1988) - Intrada
  30. 2018-07-18 - The Mummy Returns (2001) - Intrada

I hadn't even realized how consistently we were getting stuff from him literally every single year from 2008-2018, and the it completely stopped! Wow!

So there really is nothing since 2018, I was hoping I was just missing something.  That sucks, there's so so many Silvestri scores still out there deserving of expansions and even premiere releases.  Hopefully we get a dam burst starting this year!

Maybe some intended releases are hung up in UMG or Sony Music quagmires.

Plus many left are owned by Varese in perpetuity - Clan of the Cave Bear, Father of the Bride, Death Becomes Her, Forest Gump, Richie Rich, The Quick and the Dead, Mouse Hunt, What Lies Beneath, Identity, Tomb Raider 2...

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I wonder what on earth the Chattaway could be.  I've never heard of anything he's done outside of Star Trek and besides, (a) I can't see Intrada stepping into LLL's Trek territory and (b) I can't see anyone doing a "just Chattaway" Trek release anyway.

I mean, GNP Crescendo already did -- TWICE!

https://www.discogs.com/master/761570-Jay-Chattaway-Star-Trek-The-Next-Generation-Original-Soundtrack-Recordings

https://www.discogs.com/release/19653694-Various-Star-Trek-Voyager-Music-From-The-Original-Television-Soundtrack-Dolby-Surround

Intrada has already shown Jay Chattaway some substantial love by releasing complete editions of his scores for Invasion U.S.A., Missing in Action, and Braddock: Missing in Action III, so I'd say Chattaway is more their territory than LLL's!

https://www.soundtrackcollector.com/title/28768/Invasion+U.S.A.

https://www.soundtrackcollector.com/title/2833/Missing+In+Action

https://www.soundtrackcollector.com/title/30131/Braddock%3A+Missing+In+Action+III

Now Invasion U.S.A. at least was originally released by Varese Sarabande in the 80s (albeit a shorter program). Varese also premiered several other Jay Chattaway film scores on LP, including the original Maniac (which they reissued in their Little Box of Horrors a few years ago), Silver Bullet (which they brought to their CD Club in 2008), and Red Scorpion, which they premiered simultaneously on LP and CD in 1989. Those three titles have never been expanded!

https://www.soundtrackcollector.com/title/9224/Maniac

https://www.soundtrackcollector.com/title/28727/Silver+Bullet

https://www.soundtrackcollector.com/title/2370/Red+Scorpion

And they are probably in the same boat as Invasion U.S.A. in that until the 90s, Varese wasn't usually getting perpetuity rights on things -- which is why Intrada was able to expand it! So maybe Intrada is interested in expanding one of those other old Varese albums...that's my best guess. Otherwise it may be a total premiere from Chattaway which I've probably never heard of! I'm certainly not an expert on his non-Trek output.

But if you're curious to hear some of these, YouTube's usually helpful:

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Yea, I can't wait to find out what the Silvestri is too!  Super Mario Bros would be neat, Contact would be amazing.

I like Contact a lot, though I agree with Richard that the unreleased material is mostly variations on the same stuff (but I like it, so just as with Rudy or L.A. Confidential which I consider to be in a similar boat, I'd still buy an expansion). Super Mario Bros. is indeed I think the most needed Silvestri premiere at this point; it's great stuff!

3 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Overall it doesn't feel like there's as much big Silvestri material to expand than many other composers.

I'm not a Silvestri expert, but Mouse Hunt is the big one I want...although it's almost certainly controlled by Varese Sarabande in perpetuity so they'd have to do it as a Deluxe Edition. As Jay pointed out Varese really controls a decent number of Silvestri scores.

Yavar

I think you're thinking of his fellow Trek composer Dennis McCarthy, Bruce:

https://www.soundtrackcollector.com/title/48249/V

The original V miniseries from 1983 was scored by Joe Harnell, but in 1984 Dennis McCarthy worked on both the follow up miniseries V: The Final Battle and subsequent short-lived TV series which ran through 1985. SuperTracks released promos of McCarthy's work on both The Final Battle and the TV series.

And for anyone wondering, the V revival was scored by Normand Corbeil (pilot episode) and Marco Beltrami (22 regular episodes).

Yavar

I wonder what the Kamen could be? Last Action Hero and Three Musketeers are probably the most requested, with What Dreams May Come and Iron Giant also getting mentions, are there any others that haven't been expanded yet?

2 hours ago, mstrox said:

Think there were still a few minutes missing from Robin Hood.

Was thinking along the lines of scores that haven't been expanded yet, as much as I want those remaining 5 minutes it'd be nice to see Intrada release something new instead of revisiting Prince of Thieves a third time.

At this rate, if those remaining 5 minutes are found, they'll likely pull a LLL and just put them on the website, since yet another re-release specifically for them would be overkill.

10 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I like Contact a lot, though I agree with Richard that the unreleased material is mostly variations on the same stuff (but I like it, so just as with Rudy or L.A. Confidential which I consider to be in a similar boat, I'd still buy an expansion). Super Mario Bros. is indeed I think the most needed Silvestri premiere at this point; it's great stuff!

Annoying thing is I'd find Contact hard to resist if it came out, but I think there are far more valuable projects for them to work on with extra music that's truly unavailable.

• 1 month later...
On 18/12/2021 at 3:55 PM, Jay said:

Roger says

Roger has added to the list:

"Let's throw Craig Safan and Laurence Rosenthal into the mix."

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8827&view=unread#unread