The Official Intrada Thread

Trent B

A Little Romance winning the oscar instead of Star Trek The Motion Picture, eh?

I'd have a hard time picking between STTMP and Alien if I were in the academy and both were nominated (How was Alien not even nominated?)

The Delerue, I expected to go quickly at 1000. I'm glad the Pink Panther one is successful as well. We need more Mancini and perhaps the other Panther scores can be released / re-issued / remastered / expanded.

DAMN IT! Panther is already sold out AGAIN... what is it with these Intrada releases??

Any sources for this remaining?

As of right now...

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/15084/TRAIL-OF-THE-PINK-PANTHER-1200-EDITION-LIMIT-ONE-PER-CUSTOMER/

Down to one per customer, though!

• 2 weeks later...

Clues for April 5th batch:

One is a really obscure title by a composer some regard highly. A little different pace for this composer, but does feature some of his trademark style. It's from 1984 from Fox. We've released all the other Fox titles by this composer, it's the last one (save for a miniseries of his I'm dying to do, but the elements are AWOL). At least I think that's all there is by this composer from Fox.

The second is a Fox double header, one score from the 50s, another from the 60s. The 50s title is a western by a composer Doug loves and has wanted to release for years, but the tapes only recently surfaced. The second is from the 60s and stars The Duke.

Both limited to 1000 copies

Sounds like I'll be passing on both

Clues for April 5th batch:

One is a really obscure title by a composer some regard highly. A little different pace for this composer, but does feature some of his trademark style. It's from 1984 from Fox. We've released all the other Fox titles by this composer, it's the last one (save for a miniseries of his I'm dying to do, but the elements are AWOL). At least I think that's all there is by this composer from Fox.

The second is a Fox double header, one score from the 50s, another from the 60s. The 50s title is a western by a composer Doug loves and has wanted to release for years, but the tapes only recently surfaced. The second is from the 60s and stars The Duke.

Both limited to 1000 copies

Sounds like I'll be passing on both

Ya me too. A lot of the obscure stuff that Intrada releases really don't interest me. La-La Land so far has been the winner in releasing big titles.

Doug chimes in:

We may be pretty reliable on getting new releases out every other Tuesday but we're not as predictable when it comes to what the titles will be. Could be something old or something new. Classic fifties, the cool seventies, the nineties, something from this year, whatever.

And so continues both our reliability and unpredictability this coming Tuesday, April 5. We'll be on time with two titles and they're literally night and day from each other. Two world premieres: an exciting, powerful brass-dominated gem from ages ago and a hip, folk-flavored item from the eighties. Both sound good really cranked up. Happy listening!

Folk-flavored?

KidCo by Michael Small:

http://store.intrada...it.A/id.7039/.f

and

Two Flags West by Hugo Friedhofer paired with North To Alaska by Lionel Newman

http://store.intrada...it.A/id.7038/.f

Looks like KidCo wasn't delivered to them in time

There's definitely a niche market that LOVES that 50s scores

I personally don't own any scores earlier than Jerry's Planet Of The Apes, I believe

I originally thought that way too, Jason, but I found that I do immensely enjoy some Miklós Rózsa scores from the 50's and 60's (Ben-Hur etc.) as well as Bernard Herrmann (7th Voyage of Sinbad, the Egyptian, and the wonderful Journey to the Center of the Earth), Elmer Bernstein (10 Commandments), and Max Steiner (King Kong, She)... I actually have fewer scores from the 60's and early 70's... that's not really my era, I guess. Most of the stuff from the 50's and earlier released by the labels these days are not my thing, either, though.

There are still plenty of Golden Agers who are alive and buy the music as well.

Unfortunately the cost of restoring the music is probably one of the factors in releasing them as well.

Waxman is probably my favorite film composer after Williams. There are terrific scores written in the late 30's, 40's and 50's. One thing I'll admit, except for one score or two, I could never really appreciate Max Steiner's music. His aproach was sometimes too much "scene by scene", with little regard to the whole film score as some sort of symphonic work with an underlying structure and development.

I'm always looking forward to re-recordings of Golden Age scores, it's probably the most exciting thing happening in the world of film music right now.

Pretty interesting Doug's Corner this week:

4/8/11

Sold Out...two words that carry a lot of weight. But there's some misunderstanding in the marketplace about quantity decisions made behind the scenes. So I'll ramble a little. Rambling is fun.

I read a letter yesterday from someone wondering why we didn't just make at least 2000 copies of TWO FLAGS WEST. The short answer is we made what we thought we could readily sell. The long answer is we made what thought we could readily sell. In other words, we took a guess. It's not rocket science. We have no crystal ball. We have experience and common sense and mostly we have limited resources to gamble with - which all amounts to the same thing... we guess. This time we guessed wrong. We didn't contract for enough copies. On the other hand, our warehouse is packed with wrong guesses that went the other way. Too many copies.

Unlike the norm years ago, most of the limited edition CDs we release today have their costs loaded up front, not in back. We often pay the royalties and mechanicals (publishing) at first signing, before the project actually goes into production. And all of the restoration, mastering, printing, manufacturing and packaging costs come on the front end as well. Whether we sell all copies or none, the costs remain. To err on the side of caution is far better than erring the other way.

That said, I don't like seeing something sell out in a matter of hours. I just can't always see it coming. Our Fox releases are especially tricky because we have significant overhead on those titles and the projects frequently involve music from films fifty or sixty years ago, where the market interest in scores of that vintage is especially small. We try to sort out why people dive after Friedhofer's TWO FLAGS WEST paired with the few surviving cues from a John Wayne picture called NORTH TO ALASKA and yet show little interest in a complete John Wayne western soundtrack for THE WAR WAGON or Friedhofer's THE REVOLT OF MAMIE STOVER. But we can't sort it out. People begged us for years to find a way to make 48 HRS. a reality... until we finally managed it. Then the audience turned out to be a lot smaller than we predicted. Yet when we did the same composer's lower profile project JOURNEY OF NATTY GANN, we moved more copies of it in a week than the former blockbuster has sold in months.

Jerry Fielding remains a favorite topic around here. In the era of LAWMAN and BRING ME THE HEAD OF ALFREDO GARCIA we slowly built up a loyal following of about a thousand people. Subsequent releases boosted the audience upwards and we suddenly found that 1500 copies of a Fielding CD would sell out quickly. People got frustrated when they sold out and wondered why we didn't make 2000 copies instead. And so it played out until we increased the quantity on an expensive Fielding project from the elusive Universal vaults, GRAY LADY DOWN. The audience suddenly became fickle. And when we at last landed with Fielding's long-awaited and highly desirable STRAW DOGS, the results were baffling. We still have copies, albeit admittedly only some 40 or 50. But still. Where was our crystal ball when we needed it? THE BLACK BIRD brought us even more down to earth. All those folks shouting out how Fielding easily can sell 2000 copies... I guess they were a bit off the mark. Just like us. Leigh Harline is another tough nut to crack. People were excited about THE ENEMY BELOW but not so much his equally unrecorded - and arguably more important - score for PICKUP ON SOUTH STREET.

Try sorting this one out: Our Fox two-fer with scores by Leigh Harline and Lionel Newman (TRUE STORY OF JESSE JAMES & THE LAST WAGON) hit a chord with our target audience but a subsequent Fox two-fer with similar premieres by the same two composers (THESE THOUSAND HILLS & THE PROUD ONES) failed to strike a chord at all.

In a nutshell, for every instant seller there's a slow seller... followed by a non-seller. Multiply that by numerous labels all cranking out exciting (and sometimes not exciting) releases every week, all competing for your dollar... and you've got a warehouse full of guesses.

We'll continue doing our best to predict our audience, sign up for particular quantities and hope we don't lose money with misfires... but a guessing game it'll remain. We truly love chasing down the elements, getting licenses and putting up our own money to make stuff available for other people to enjoy. Since I mentioned the Fox stuff carries a certain overhead, I would be remiss if I didn't also point out that Fox remains the most dedicated studio working to not only preserve these elements but to also make them available for others to enjoy. It's really heart-warming to have Nick Redman ping me with a pair of old scores he's just managed to salvage. It's exciting no matter what label ends up delivering them to you folks. I buy 'em, too. Anyway, none of us involved in this expensive but thrilling enterprise - from the union and studios through the labels and their customers - have anything more to go on about predicting saleable quantities than hopes, prayers... and guesses. Which means we'll continue to see stuff old and new by the likes of Bronislau Kaper, Dimitri Tiomkin, Leigh Harline, Alan Silvestri and James Horner strike fire one week and barely smoke the next.

We try to help things stay somewhat predictable by having a reliable release pattern every other Tuesday, making announcements every other Monday, offering clues with Roger on the Forum each weekend prior, posting reminders in my blog here and stuff like that. We're hoping to coax you into making our site a priority destination as often as possible... or at least every other Monday evening when the announcements are posted so you won't miss out. Through it all I hope dedicated fans mostly manage to get what they want. There are certainly tons of releases coming out everywhere to keep you... and us busy!

Yeah, it's all true. But at the same time the market right now is so crowded. I would gladly buy most of these releases, seriously. And I'm very happy they are coming out. But I can't afford all of that. It's as simple as that.

Karol

Yeah, it's all true. But at the same time the market right now is so crowded. I would gladly buy most of these releases, seriously. And I'm very happy they are coming out. But I can't afford all of that. It's as simple as that.

But that isn't really Doug's point, is it? It's more about complaints about release quantities when all they can possibly do is try and estimate the right number that will make sure everyone interested gets a copy while still selling well.

It's a commercial example of the fluctuations in our own listening habits. We can like a score and not really know why, when another similar score does nothing for us.

As much as Doug and Roger know about film music, I guess you just can't predict fans' tastes all the time..

As much as Doug and Roger know about film music, I guess you just can't predict fans' tastes all the time..

Indeed and no one can about the last part of your statement.

Of course. The tough part is that they have to try, for each and every release they make. :)

I think those who don't listen to the golden age are missing out. Rozsa, Herrmann, Waxman, Steiner, Korngold, Tiomkin, and obviously Alfred Newman. Amazing, amazing work.

This. The so-called Christian Clemmenson from Filmtracks should listen to Golden Age scores, rather than being a modern score snob. They're marvelous.

It's not just the fantasy and adventure scores, but I do like a good noir score from time to time. (I'm curious why Intrada's Pickup on South Street and Broughton's This Girl for Hire haven't sold out.)

Second clue:

One release is limited to 1000 copies. The other is 1500 copies and is a grail to a few folks around here from a catalog we just started releasing stuff from.

Here's another clip to the former. http://www.intrada.net/namethattune/guess03.m3u which is by a composer new to Intrada.

What catalog is he referring to?

The first sample sounds like Fred Karlin. The first score that popped into my mind was Futureworld. However I checked some clips on youtube and I think it's from another score.

The second is awfully familiar.

If anyone hasn't picked up Intrada's "Treasure Of The Four Crowns" by Ennion Morricone yet, I'd suggest doing it soon because their license is expiring soon and it will be going OOP

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.5950/.f