The Official Intrada Thread

Trent B

Roger just posted that Up! will not have a "limited edition" monicker on the CD case, but their next release in the co-branded line will

I have wondered whether the co-branded CDs, would have limit numbers on the back?, I presume then that they're not going to?

This one will not. Next one will.

An oscar winning score from a major studio, which never got a CD release. Skimming this page with those criteria doesn't offer much.

Even though it's a pass, I'll eat my proverbial hat if it's not Up.

Off the top of my head, the only other 2 I can even think of would be The High & The Mighty and The Devil And Daniel Webster. But the clues don't even fit the studios. I'll eat my hat too if it's not Up!

Roger speaks again

Roger, may you be kind enough to tell if the new collection is about to be regular, for exemple one title per month ? One title every two months ?

It's hard to say how regular they will be, although there are 5 more in process currently, with the next one scheduled for early August...but anything can change.

There may not appear to be rhyme or reason with what appears as a co-branded release vs. what comes out as a Special Collection title. So just go with it!

Haha. Sounds like somebody at Disney decides what to just license regularly and what to make part of the new series. Weird. Also seems like these new releases won't be sold in Disney parks or anything. All the limited releases will sell out really quick. Lots of speculators buying them up to sell on ebay.

I wouldn't be surprised if they released the scores from both version of the Parent Trap movies as well as other live action Disney films we never thought would get a complete release, or an actual one at that.

Yea I should have posted the two official blurbs about Up

UP

Composed and Conducted by MICHAEL GIACCHINO

D001372702

I knew that I HAD to do this film - I couldn’t get the idea out of my mind.

- Michael Giacchino

Intrada is proud to announce the first in a series of soundtracks co-branded with Walt Disney Records. The first release is the premiere CD issue of Michael Giacchino's Oscar-winning score to the 2009 animated tale Up and features the Grammy winning soundtrack album program. In fact, Giacchino was awarded two Grammys, the second being Best Instrumental Composition for "Married Life." The film is a bittersweet adventure featuring very real characters struggling with difficult emotional issues, yet on a colorful, outlandish and often humorous adventure. A film with a complex emotional base required Giacchino to compose a score that featured an expert blend of action, comedy and nostalgia, a recipe not ordinarily found in an animated film. The result was a score that mixed these elements effortlessly without manipulating the audience -- the mark of an expert composer. As director Pete Doctor remarked, "It was as if he had somehow reached out into the sky and grabbed the soundtrack for our film, as if it has always existed out there."

The film tells the story of Carl Fredricksen, starting with the day he meets his future wife as kids to her elderly death. Upon her death, he straps balloons to his house before it can be demolished, rising up into the sky on a wild adventure. With stowaway Junior Wilderness Explorer Russell as his unexpected companion, the two embark on a journey of adventure and self-discovery, showing that age knows no limits when it comes to friendship, trying something new, or broadening ones horizons.

UP

Label: Disney / Intrada D001372702

Date: 2009

Tracks: 26

Time = 53:22

Dreams can come true! Intrada proudly announces new series of soundtracks on CD, co-branded with Walt Disney Records. First title is premiere CD release of Academy Award-winning score by Michael Giacchino to Walt Disney Pictures/Pixar Animation Studios charming UP. Sentimental tale chronicles very real emotions of elderly man, from boyhood experience of meeting his future wife through tragedy of her death. He straps balloons to his house before it can be demolished, then embarks on wild, exciting adventure in the skies! Produced from original digital scoring session elements under supervision of composer & Disney engineers, album offers nealy one hour of warmly nostalgic, thunderingly dynamic score. Exciting release is start of new series of long-awaited soundtrack treasures from Disney vaults, presented from original session elements lovingly restored, all spotlighting premiere CD releases from animation & live action classics appearing throughout esteemed studio's history! For UP, Tim Simonec conducts Los Angeles studio musicians in dynamic recording made by Dan Wallin at Warner Bros. Eastwood Scoring Stage. While quantities are generous, studio & musician agreements cap total pressings at 10,000 units!

01. Up with Titles 0:53

02. We're in the Club Now 0:44

03. Married Life 4:11

04. Carl Goes Up 3:33

05. 52 Chachki Pickup 1:15

06. Paradise Found 1:04

07. Walkin' the House 1:04

08. Three Dog Dash 0:51

09. Kevin Break'n 1:14

10. Canine Conundrum 2:04

11. The Nickel Tour 0:53

12. The Explorer Motel 1:27

13. Escape from Muntz Mountain 2:44

14. Giving Muntz the Bird 1:58

15. Stuff We Did 2:13

16. Memories Can Weigh You Down 1:22

17. The Small Mailman Returns 3:12

18. He's Got the Bird 0:30

19. Seizing the Spirit of Adventure 5:20

20. It's Just a House 2:00

21. The Ellie Badge 1:31

22. Up with End Credits 7:39

23. The Spirit of Adventure 2:30

24. Carl's Maiden Voyage (Sound Effects) 0:52

25. Muntz's Dark Reverie (Sound Effects) 0:52

26. Meet Kevin in the Jungle (Sound Effects) 1:33

Thing is, so many lame scores are put on CD these days that it somehow seems wrong to me that an oscar winning score getting a physical release, with no unreleased music, is causing such fanfare.

Actually it's sad it's taken this long to get this great score on a physical CD when so much current crap gets released.

This is pretty much the release that should have been. Unfortunately that there's no extra music, but oh well, nothing we can do about it.

If they ever do Toy Story 3, they better do the whole goddamn thing cause I want that Giacchino music!

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a Pixar shorts collection in the future with the scores to all the shorts one one disc. There's no reason to pair Giacchino's score to the short with Randy Newman's complete score to the film on an official release. Though I'm grateful they threw it on the C&C promo

Anyone want to hazard a guess at the next Disney / Intrada title for early August? Roger said it will be limited and Doug posted that it will be

a digitally-restored, newly-expanded genuine fan favorite!

;)

I'd like to have Mars Needs Moms released on CD. But judging from its disastrous box office performance (literally one of the biggest financial failures in history) I somehow don't see it happening.

Karol

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a Pixar shorts collection in the future with the scores to all the shorts one one disc.

I certainly hope so. Giacchino's One Man Band for the win !

Yes. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Received my copy of Up today. Love the old Disney LP design for the CD and booklet.

Agreed. I like they used concept art as well.

Look at the track list, though. It's a bunch of songs, including some that were included in the "Rhythm of the Pride Lands" album they did. No score that I can see.

I wouldn't expect to see the Lion King score in the next several releases, at least that's the impression I get from some of Roger and Doug's posts at Intrada.

In reading both Doug & Roger's comments it seems like several upcoming titles won't be the ones Disney is looking at for a wider audience. I wouldn't discount The Lion King at a future date but I also got the impression Disney will still look to issue major titles on their own.

Uh, quite a bit Koray.

Their classic animation films, the really popular ones.

Anyhoo I don't think that Lion King release has anything to do with Intrada.

Uh, quite a bit Koray.

We're talking about scores, right? When was the last time they released a classic on CD? Just reissuing The Nightmare Before Christmas every year doesn't count! ;)

In reading both Doug & Roger's comments it seems like several upcoming titles won't be the ones Disney is looking at for a wider audience. I wouldn't discount The Lion King at a future date but I also got the impression Disney will still look to issue major titles on their own.

Maybe Intrada will still be able to release songless expansions of scores like Lion King, as those probably won't be incredibly popular to the general public.

Uh, quite a bit Koray.

We're talking about scores, right? When was the last time they released a classic on CD? Just reissuing The Nightmare Before Christmas every year doesn't count! ;)

They've been constantly re-releasing and remastering their animated classics including the Menkens. Yes,they contain songs, and I suppose the bonus material was all song based, but it still meant new releases of the score material, too.

And in the case of the animated Disneys, the songs really are an integral part of the musical whole. A song-less Lion King wouldn't make sense to me.

Ah okay.

And in the case of the animated Disneys, the songs really are an integral part of the musical whole. A song-less Lion King wouldn't make sense to me.

Maybe not musical sense, but I think it would make marketing sense. And I wouldn't mind making a playlist combining the song-dominated OST with a score-only Intrada expansion.

I think unlike the Alan Menken scores, the songs in Lion King are mostly unrelated to the score (except the brief Circle Of Life reprise at the end of King Of Pride Rock) and removing them doesn't affect the thematic development, so I definitely feel a score-only release will stand on its own. If they do wish to release song-related material, I hope they include the instrumental versions of the songs. Zimmer did mention in a couple of recent interviews that he's considering a complete Lion King score release, and since the 3D theatrical/Blu-ray release of the film could be a golden opportunity to release it with... fingers crossed. :)

I think unlike the Alan Menken scores, the songs in Lion King are mostly unrelated to the score (except the brief Circle Of Life reprise at the end of King Of Pride Rock) and removing them doesn't affect the thematic development, so I definitely feel a score-only release will stand on its own. If they do wish to release song-related material, I hope they include the instrumental versions of the songs. Zimmer did mention in a couple of recent interviews that he's considering a complete Lion King score release, and since the 3D theatrical/Blu-ray release of the film could be a golden opportunity to release it with... fingers crossed. :)

Well, there are a few quotes in the complete score - I guess all that comes to mind is a couple of fragments of "Can You Feel the Love Tonight", though.

I don't care whether the songs are included on a theoretical future release...I just want all the unreleased stuff. I'd be happy to combine such a release with the OST myself.

I doubt he has much control over it.

Depends. On The Lion King? Probably not much, but he was responsible for scrapping Varese's CD release of It's Complicated. Probably also why the recent release of Rain Man was shit.

He's becoming worse than Williams for releasing scores.

And I just can't imagine refusing to cooperate with someone to the extent that they have to represent your work as Rain Man apparently was.