The Official Intrada Thread

Trent B

The rumor is that Horner asked Intrada to not pair the rejected scores with his, so Intrada is releasing them separately

• 2 weeks later...

From Roger regarding the May 15th releases.

"One is a straight reissue of a CD that went out of print fairly quickly and the studio preferred having it stay in print, so we were happy to oblige. Mainly for people who missed out and the broader audience. If you have it, no need to upgrade unless you are fussy about spines. And someone should offer to buy me a beer after the first complaint comes in.

The second is a premiere release of the score to an early 80s erotic thriller."

The re-issue seems like it's Star Trek V. It wouldn't surprise me if it is and I'd be glad for a re-issue, especially for those that missed out on it. I'm perfectly happy with the La-La Land set but I may get this for the hell of it so it's in uniform for IV and VI.

I actually did miss out on Star Trek V, I think I was low on money at the time and I wasn't as familiar with the score. This time, however, I may get it. :) I hope it is unlimited this time, though, because I've been spending a LOT of money on scores lately (and will again next month when, presumably, Star Trek: The Motion Picture is released by LaLaLand) and may not be able to get it right away.

I still don't get why anyone would complain. Wasn't the LaLaLand release only 3,000 units? With a score from a franchise that big, clearly not everyone in the world who would have wanted it was able to get it, and would currently have to pay over-priced eBay bids in order to get it. I know people may see it as wasting a slot for a newly released score, but give me a break. Scores get released usually every 2 weeks from places like this, in addition to other places like LaLaLand. We don't all have endless wallets, so things like this are a good thing so people can ease up and say "it's okay, already got this"! ;)

I suspect Star Trek V reissue will be MAF, with a spine that matches the rest. :)

I'm not fussy about the spine, but I may end up getting it for that reason.

If it's MAF, then I won't rush though.

I actually did miss out on Star Trek V, I think I was low on money at the time and I wasn't as familiar with the score. This time, however, I may get it. :) I hope it is unlimited this time, though, because I've been spending a LOT of money on scores lately (and will again next month when, presumably, Star Trek: The Motion Picture is released by LaLaLand) and may not be able to get it right away.

I still don't get why anyone would complain. Wasn't the LaLaLand release only 3,000 units? With a score from a franchise that big, clearly not everyone in the world who would have wanted it was able to get it, and would currently have to pay over-priced eBay bids in order to get it. I know people may see it as wasting a slot for a newly released score, but give me a break. Scores get released usually every 2 weeks from places like this, in addition to other places like LaLaLand. We don't all have endless wallets, so things like this are a good thing so people can ease up and say "it's okay, already got this"! ;)

Star Trek V was 5,000 units and MV said it sold out in 4 months. Others also missed out on it since the time it came out a lot of people simply couldn't afford it since it was around Christmas time. I'm glad it most likely will be the re-issue as it will give others like you a chance to get it, to hell with all the complainers.

I think the re-issue of Star Trek V will be an MAF since the whole bit of the studio wanting it to stay in print.

Yeah, even at 5,000 units, a score from a franchise that big probably attracted a lot of even non-film score fans, people that are just big fans of the franchise that want every part of it. I know lots of people that own film score CDs to big franchise films that they have obsessed over, love the hell out of the CD, but that's the extent of their film score collection, heh.

I would love to see a version with the alternates presented in full, instead of as album edits.

Did I missed something? Why are you so sure that it will be Trek 5? (Don't get me wrong, I just want to know if it is confirmed)

I've heard rumblings of it getting re-issued and that's basically the only thing that would be changed so it fits the clues.

So will it be one CD of the expanded score? Or both two CDs? Anyway, I've got the Lalaland's set so it's a pass for me. But always glad to see a unlimited classic score.

So will it be one CD of the expanded score? Or both two CDs? Anyway, I've got the Lalaland's set so it's a pass for me. But always glad to see a unlimited classic score.

Don't you want your spine to match the others? ;)

Uhhhh safe to assume Star Trek V will be the 2-CD set.

Uhhhh safe to assume Star Trek V will be the 2-CD set.

Hey Trent, does the LLL CD have the cue names/numbers in the cd text/car radio text?

Don't you want your spine to match the others? ;)

No. But then again, I don't display my CDs proudly. Once ripped, they go into a box in the closet, never to be seen again.

I was fortunate to purchase the LLL Trek V. I will be scrapping up what little funds I have for a possible titles- TMP and/or Generations.

It will be nice for those like ETandElliot who couldn't get the LLL version to own the Intrada set. I may pick it up in due time so it conforms with the Star Trek IV and VI releases. If I do I'll still keep my LLL version.

Hey Trent, does the LLL CD have the cue names/numbers in the cd/car radio text?

I don't know. We recently replaced our car CD player but haven't played official CDs in it. I've only played CD-R copies since I don't like taking my official versions out with me.

I checked a while back, it doesn't. The cue names/numbers are in the booklet though.

I only see the numbers...

I'm assuming TMP from LLLR would match what they did for Trek V.

That being the case, setting the Goldsmith scores apart would be appropriate, IMHO.

I'm in no rush to repurchase Trek V. It may happen, but the LLLR release is already fantastic.

I'll get the other scores before refreshing V.

It will be nice for those like ETandElliot who couldn't get the LLL version to own the Intrada set. I may pick it up in due time so it conforms with the Star Trek IV and VI releases. If I do I'll still keep my LLL version.

You're actually entertaining the notion of rebuying it so the spines match?

We're not talking about the Predator reissue here... why rebuy exactly the same product?

I would just download the spine of the intrada release, of coure, I don't have the LLR release either

We're not talking about the Predator reissue here... why rebuy exactly the same product?

It is essential. Forms a spine of the whole score, if you will. ;)

Karol

It's just a "would be nice for consistency" thing. I'm one of those that is lining up all his Trek movie scores, and it would be nice for the spines to match, as they do for Trek II, II, IV and VI.

If I and V match, it's the closest thing to a Star Trek TOS Movie box set we can get.

Not a big deal, simply a nicety. :)

Look at it this way. With all of the ways in which things can be nitpicked to death, as both soundtrack and Star Trek fans love to do (I speak as a member of both columns), the spine is literally the only thing "wrong" I can find. I would not even say "wrong", but perhaps mildly inconsistent. :)

Buy as "collector types", it's just one of those things that we notice.

That speaks to just how great this series of releases are.

It's just a "would be nice for consistency" thing. I'm one of those that is lining up all his Trek movie scores, and it would be nice for the spines to match, as they do for Trek II, II, IV and VI.

If I and V match, it's the closest thing to a Star Trek TOS Movie box set we can get.

Not a big deal, simply a nicety. :)

Look at it this way. With all of the ways in which things can be nitpicked to death, as both soundtrack and Star Trek fans love to do (I speak as a member of both columns), the spine is literally the only thing "wrong" I can find. I would not even say "wrong", but perhaps mildly inconsistent. :)

Buy as "collector types", it's just one of those things that we notice.

That speaks to just how great this series of releases are.

Likewise. As far as nit-picking goes, definitely I can be that way too with Trek. Just like how in 7 years of Voyager, they NEVER ran out of photon torpedoes. lol

Some like myself and OneBuckFilms are considering it. As we both said though since it'll be an MAF release it can be bought whenever.

Yes I know we're not talking about Predator....but read mine and OneBuck's reply.

Funny how nobody considers asking someone who missed out on ST-V the first time around to remove their insert from the jewel case, make a high resolution scan, upload/email it to the interested parties, who can then print out the spin and insert it into their jewel case, saving themselves $30. Because the resale value of an LLR ST-V will now drop, especially considering it's used.

Re-buying a score so that the spine matches is as asinine as buying multiple copies of a single album just for all unique collector art.

But hey, it's your money. Enjoy it.

Funny how nobody considers asking someone who missed out on ST-V the first time around to remove their insert from the jewel case, make a high resolution scan, upload/email it to the interested parties, who can then print out the spin and insert it into their jewel case, saving themselves $30.

I would just download the spine of the intrada release, of coure, I don't have the LLR release either

For what it's worth, MV just confirmed it on the FSM board.

Commenting-by-phone makes providing a link difficult, but it's not going to kill you to find it yourself.

As for me, I'm going to put the LLL on amazon, see if I can earn some money back.

I'm happy for people who didn't get a chance before, but won't be buying it myself. No reason.

On a side note: At least we get some sort of confirmation that Paramount wants these things released. :)

Karol

Does the original album presentation have anything really notably different to the full score?

I'm definitely buying this as the full score is awesome, but is the OST just a bunch of edited cues (not very interesting) or lots of alternates?

A bit like LLL's Alien Resurrection - I didn't bother ripping the remastered OST as it's just a selection of the score with some edits.

Also, Varese could take a serious lesson in album rights management from MV.

Most of the cues on the OST for Star Trek V are somewhat different from the score as heard in the movie.

The movie had different takes, different overlays etc. compared to the OST.

A somewhat similar situation to the FSM/SAE/Retrograde Star Trek III.

In addition, there are a few interesting alternate and source cues on the second CD along with the OST, including the film version of "The Moon's A Window to Heaven".

Most of the cues on the OST for Star Trek V are somewhat different from the score as heard in the movie.

The movie had different takes, different overlays etc. compared to the OST.

A somewhat similar situation to the FSM/SAE/Retrograde Star Trek III.

In addition, there are a few interesting alternate and source cues on the second CD along with the OST, including the film version of "The Moon's A Window to Heaven".

Yes that's true. Even for towards the ending of "Let's Get Out Of Here" when the Klingon Bird Of Prey shows up and destroys "god".

Matching spines? I used to be pedantic about this sort of thing, but now I kind of like the inconsistency in this regard.

I think specialty labels rely their fans being maniacally obsessive nit pickers and think that having complete set of these scores without matching spines would drive most to distraction. ;)

Of course they are right.

Does the original album presentation have anything really notably different to the full score?

I'm definitely buying this as the full score is awesome, but is the OST just a bunch of edited cues (not very interesting) or lots of alternates?

Some cues are expertly edited on the OST, so they are more listenable than the film cues (two major action cues, anyway).

Here's what MV said on the FSM board:

Here is the straight dope:

A little while after the cd sold out Lukas came to me and asked if we wanted to reissue the cd. I said no. We told our customers its 5000 units, so that means its 5000 units. He said cool, do you mind if Intrada reissues it? I said no, I don't mind. It makes sense Paramount would want it in print to make a few extra bucks.

A few more months pass and I hear from Sony Music informing me that Intrada wants to reissue Trek V. Sony asks if we want to repress or hand the rights over to Intrada. I said hand them over. I've been there...done that and now it's time to move on.

Not too long after Roger emails me and asks if its cool if they reissue Trek V -- keeping the same master and liner notes, but changing up the artwork. I tell him Warp Speed ahead!

So, Intrada can now press up to 10,000 more units of Trek V (or 5,000...depending on how the AFM Historical Rate applies to this situation). I wish them well and hope it sells.

MV

Source: http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=88844

I'm glad all the speculators who bought multiple copies of Trek 5 just to sell later got screwed over.