The Official Intrada Thread

Trent B

I'm glad all the speculators who bought multiple copies of Trek 5 just to sell later got screwed over.

Yup just like with first issue of Intrada's Predator.

Indeed!

BTW, here is the latest Doug's Corner, it's quite nice:

5/6/12

It's hard to contain my excitement right now. I hope this doesn't just come across as being boorish or whatever, but please read on. Early reports show THE AVENGERS breaking box office records everywhere. Passing the two hundred million mark here and another similar amount overseas. Heading towards half a billion already, in just it's first week! Never been done before. The movie's striking a chord with both critics and audiences alike. Our family loved it. Apparently lots of other families did, too.

Friends of Intrada know we got an early start with Disney back in 1987, just a couple of years into our being. We managed to license NIGHT CROSSING at a time when the famous studio had yet to license one of their actual film soundtracks to a small independent label. (This, in fact, then topped Roger's list of most wanted soundtracks yet to be released.) It was a landmark, to be sure. We followed with stuff like HONEY, I BLEW UP THE KID and HOMEWARD BOUND. More recently, our relatiuonship grew and they let us release a bunch of Horner and Goldsmith titles, stuff by Poledouris, Zimmer and others. Now we're literally partnering with them on genuine classics like TOY STORY 3, UP, THE BLACK HOLE and 20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA.

But I never could have imagined they would invite us to partner with them on something as massive as THE AVENGERS. Quite literally, we've never had an opportunity to become associated with a brand new picture this successful. Based on current performance figures, few labels have. I am more than grateful to them for having such an interest in our label. I pray we can bring something besides enthusiasm to the table in return. However, I simply must say thank you to all of our loyal customers who've supported us over the years. I see from Jeff's mailing list that some of you - indeed - go all the way back to that first NIGHT CROSSING album. I'm humbled, people. I really am.

Source: http://www.intrada.n....php?f=2&t=4826

Great news for Intrada! I am really happy for them on their success and luck. :)

Anyone who bought multiple copies and waited THIS LONG to sell them is an idiot.

You obviously have no idea how the game is played.

More than you do.

Doug's Corner about tonight's releases:

5/13/12

There's been a lot of activity back in our mailroom these last two weeks. More than normal. AVENGERS and ONCE UPON A TIME, stuff with the name STAR TREK on it, cool releases from other labels, whatever. Just lots of CDs being mailed out. So here's an appreciation to George and Steve for keeping your packages going out. Jeff, of course, gets to actually process everything so... with a smile we pour more on his plate!

Yes. Two more new releases begin shipping this Tuesday, May 15. Artwork and sound samples go up tomorrow evening, May 13. Look (and listen) for a really cool noir-ish gem from a popular seventies/eighties-era composer we've visited many times. This one's a world premiere release, presented in dynamic stereo from 1/2" three-channel masters. Also find a straight 2-CD re-issue of a powerhouse, first offered in a spectacular production from a fellow label. It sold out quickly and now deservedly comes back by request. Those that already have it, continue to enjoy it. The audio contents are identical. But for those that missed out, here's your opportunity to remedy the situation. Enjoy!

Source: http://www.intrada.n....php?f=2&t=4838

---

Also! In the thread for the May 15th releases, a user had this grail list posted as his signature:

Most Wanted Unreleased scores:

Howard Shore's AN INNOCENT MAN (1989) Touchstone/Buena Vista

Richard Halligan's THE OCTAGON (1980) American Cinema

Sante Maria Romitelli's GOD'S GUN (1976) MGM/Cannon

Trevor Jones' FREEJACK (1992) Morgan Creek

And Roger said:

One of those will hit late summer/early fall.

Source: http://www.intrada.n...php?f=12&t=4828

My guess for the second part is either the Shore or Jones score.

I wonder what the 2CD set will be. I'm getting paranoid about The Fury getting rereleased. I may sell my Deluxe Edition and try to get my money back.

MV already posted that it was Star Trek 5. I posted what he said at the end of the last page

MV already posted that it was Star Trek 5. I posted what he said at the end of the last page

Oh yeah. Don't know why he didn't just name it then.

I would keep the Varese Furys unless a reissue seriously improved upon that presentation.

Well if I paid $80 for mine, I could resell for that amount and then pay $25 for the new release, changes or no changes.

Oh yeah. Don't know why he didn't just name it then.

MV did name it. He said "Trek V" in his 2nd, 3rd, and 4th paragraph.

Both titles are up on Intrada now. Interesting how Trek V is only $25, wasn't it $30 from La-La Land?

Hey you're right, it was!

Pass. I already own the LLLR 2 cd set. If only I knew that Intrada would reissue this score in the same presentation a year in a half later. I wouldn't have rushed to get it then. So if the rumors are true about LLLR releasing ST:TMP next month I should just wait a year in a half later for Intrada to reissue it. Sure it's good for those who missed it but wake me when the original recordings of Poledouris' two Conan scores are finally released.

So if the rumors are true about LLLR releasing ST:TMP next month I should just wait a year in a half later for Intrada to reissue it.

That's crazy! I will order ST:TMP the moment it is released.

Well for one, The Motion Picture will be unlimited. Trek V wasn't, and it sold out. I see nothing wrong with keeping it print for those who missed it. It's not like these releases come once a year. You're not forced into buying this reissue at all.

Star Trek TMP isn't even officially confirmed as existing, let alone quantified. All MV has said is that LLL CD 1207 will be their crowning achievement and signed off with "To Boldly Go"

Well for one, The Motion Picture will be unlimited.

Where's your proof of that? There has been no mention of if it will be or be unlimited. I'm betting it won't be unlimited as all of LLL's issues so far have been Limited.

Edit: Got ninja'ed twice.

Well this is great news regarding ST V since I haven't had a chance to get it and would very much like to sometime in the future when my fortunes are better than now.

Star Trek TMP isn't even officially confirmed as existing, let alone quantified. All MV has said is that LLL CD 1207 will be their crowning achievement and signed off with "To Boldly Go"

You honestly think he means Generations, Insurrection, or Nemesis? Hey maybe it's a proper version of Giacchino's score!

Oh no, don't get me wrong - I think its blatantly obvious what he meant :)

Just wanted to point out that technically nothing is officially confirmed :)

• 2 weeks later...

Roger says:

One MAF title, one Special Collection title...both from the 60s. Two of the most famous film scores by one of the most famous composers, and yet the original soundtrack recordings had never been released. One kicks off what we hope to be an inaugural new series of releases.

Source: http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4858

I think it's Mancini, almost without a doubt. Many of his flm scores, especially from that era, were only released as rearranged rerecordings for mass market buyers. He's certainly a great deal more "famous" than Herrmann as well, especially with the general public. He was a high profle guy.

My guesses are Breakfast at Tiffany's, and either The Pink Panther (I don't think the original recordings had a release), Charade, or Days of Wine and Roses.

As for a new series - The Mancini/Blake Edwards Collaborations?

Roger says:

One MAF title, one Special Collection title...both from the 60s. Two of the most famous film scores by one of the most famous composers, and yet the original soundtrack recordings had never been released. One kicks off what we hope to be an inaugural new series of releases.

Source: http://www.intrada.n...php?f=12&t=4858

The Conan scores can't get here fast enough.

For some reason I keep thinking James Bond. First film was from the 60s, involves John Barry, and if I'm not mistaken, had different type of sessions. And that could certainly kick off quite a series of releases.

I don't think Mancini is more famous than Herrmann. Pink Panther and, to a lesser extent Moon River and Peter Gun theme are the only really iconic things he's written, and none of them are as iconic as Psycho's murder music. Then again, Roger only says "one of the most famous composers" so I think either one fits the bill.

Well I'm talking famous in a wider sense than even just the film industry. Mancini was a big deal, a few of his records were Billboard top sellers. One of his singles even surpassed The Beatles as #1 on the charts. His appeal stretched beyond film music with his jazz-pop albums and his arrangements of themes, plus original works. The public certainly knew/knows Mancini better than they did Herrmann, whose fame didn't really come until rather late in his life, and even then primarily among those in the inustry or fans of film music. Mancini was for everyone.

Mancini is more known for his songs anyway.

I don't think Mancini is more famous than Herrmann. Pink Panther and, to a lesser extent Moon River and Peter Gun theme are the only really iconic things he's written, and none of them are as iconic as Psycho's murder music. Then again, Roger only says "one of the most famous composers" so I think either one fits the bill.

Don't forget the Baby Elephant Walk from "Hatari!", also an iconic thing Mancini had written.

Do you like scores from the 60s?

You don't?

I think Jason has said before most scores before the 80's he doesn't really like. Well obviously with some exceptions from the 70's for Williams and such.

There's only a few scores from the 70's I like but the rest and from the 60 backwards I really don't care for at all. A lot of these type releases from Intrada have saved me money. I mean ya it's great for those who like them but it's just not my cup of tea.

60's score are collective items for me. Not for listening. If I have spear money, I might buy those which are classic. In this case, for example, if they release Psycho, I thing I will buy it.

I like some 60's scores. I like The Sand Pebbles, the Star Trek TOS scores, and El Cid (thats '61 right?)

You buy music purely for its collectible value, and not to listen to it?

Of course collectibility is a factor, but if the music doesn't inspire me, I'm not going to buy it...

Well, some. I brought them because they are famous. I admit that there are some score I truly love, i.e. EL CID. I don't know how good it is before listen to it. And I picked up every Goldsmith I could (sadly there are still many I did not obtain yet)

I did listen to every albums I brought for at least ONCE, than decide what to keep in my cowon X7. It has only 160GB you know.