The Official Intrada Thread

Trent B

It's probably Hoosiers.

I don't see how Intrada failed on White Fang, they posted it was going out of print on Dec 17th or until supplies last. Obviously the supply didn't last.

It's happened before, they've announced titles going out of print in 2 weeks and it goes in a day or two..

Mark, the point was that it was sold out within minutes of the announcement going up on Monday. By the time 99% of the soundtrack world saw the announcement, it was already gone.

Right. The problem was that they didn't put up an announcement when they noticed quantities were low, they opted to wait till it fell in their "new announcement every two weeks" plan. But by then it was too late

One title is from the Paramount vaults and features two scores on one CD. One is from 1949 the other from 1950. Same composer who we've released several Fox scores from in the past.

http://intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=61904#p61904

Doug's Corner:

12/8/12

Come this Tuesday, December 11, we'll have three new releases to catch your attention during this busy time of the year. One release presents a long-awaited world premiere complete presentation of an Oscar-nominated score from an Oscar-winning composer, endearingly popular as a 39-minute album, now running an hour - with some really terrific cues previously not released. Sorting out the licensing details on this one took years - and it's worth the long wait! On a second release, the same composer features with yet another Oscar-winning composer for a film whose initial score was rejected and the new one a source of some mystery... until now. And our third release features two "Golden Age" scores by an Oscar-winning veteran who wrote with integrity and sophistication no matter what the project was. Artwork and sound samples for all three CDs will be posted this Monday evening, December 10. Pick one, pick all three.

http://www.intrada.n....php?f=2&t=5272

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So, remember what Doug posted on January 1st of last year about Intrada's upcoming year?

1/1/12

To everyone... may you have a Happy New Year!

As today kicks the new year off, all of us at Intrada are already knee deep in projects. To be honest, what we have lined up this year is the most ambitious slate we've attempted in our 26-year history. Hopefully there will be something for everyone. Look for some pretty sensational releases coming courtesy our partnership with Disney. In fact, projects with virtually every major studio are now under way... including a milestone new series with one of them. Look for classic recordings you thought you'd never see available. More details on that soon! Even something in the Excalibur series. Just loads of releases for you to choose from. I can't expect you to support them all... but hopefully there are numerous new things coming from us that will tickle your fancy throughout 2012.

And so, with lots of excitement for Intrada ahead, and knowing that numerous other soundtrack labels will be abundant with cool releases... may this new year bring forth musical joy to us all.

--Doug

Well what do you think?

-"projects with virtually every major studio" - This was absolutely true! I see titles from every member of "The Big 6" - Disney, Universal, Paramount, Fox, Sony, and Warner Brothers! Plus they had titles licensed from smaller studios like Orion, Mogan Creek, ITC, etc. Wow!

-"Sensational releases coming courtesy of our partnership with Disney" - These ended up being Toy Story 3, Island At The Top of the World, White Fang, The Black Cauldron, The Avengers, The Last Flight of Noah's Ark, and Condorman, Though only Toy Story 3, The Black Cauldron and The Avengers ended up on the official "Disney / Intrada" line.

-"Milestone new series" - This ended up being a "100th Anniversary" graphic added to the cover of three Universal titles in the Special Edition line - Charade, High Plains Drifter, and Coogan's Bluff. There was no new separate line/series.

-"something in the Excalibur series" - This ended up being Miklos Rozsa's The Red House.

Any other thoughts?

Here's a list of all 48 titles Intrada released in 2012.

Alan Silvestri - Predator

Alan Silvestri - The Avengers

Basil Poledouris - Conan The Barbarian

Basil Poledouris & Hans Zimmer - White Fang

Bernard Herrmann - North By Northwest

Bill Conti - Masters Of The Universe

Charles Bernstein - Love At First Bite

Christopher Young - Hush

Cliff Eidelman - Star Trek VI

Craig Safan - Wolfen (Unused Score)

Dee Barton - High Plains Drifter

Elmer Bernstein - The Black Cauldron

Gil Melle - Borderline

Henry Mancini - Charade

Henry Mancini - Condorman

Henry Mancini - Hatari

Hugo Friedhofer - Bride of Vengeance / Captain Carey, USA

Jerome Moross - The Jawhawkers

Jerry Goldsmith - 2 Days In The Valley (Unused Score)

Jerry Goldsmith - Hoosiers

Jerry Goldsmith - Star Trek V

Jerry Goldsmith - The Shadow

John Addison - Strange Invaders

John Barry - The Quiller Memorandum

John Scott - King Kong Lives

Lalo Shifrin - Coogan's Bluff

Lee Holdridge - Winston Churchill - Walking With Destiny

Leith Stevens - The War Of The Worlds / Leith Stevens - When Worlds Collide / Danielle Amitheatrof - The Naked Jungle / Van Cleave - Conquest Of Space

Leonard Rosenman - Bound For Glory

Leonard Rosenman - The Last Hard Men

Les Baxter - Black Sabbath

Les Baxter - Comedy of Terrors

Mark Isham - Once Upon A Time

Maurice Jarre - Island At The Top Of The World

Maurice Jarre - Posse / The Last Tycoon

Maurice Jarre - The Last Flight Of Noah's Ark

Michael Kamen - Renegades

Michael Kamen - Road House

Michael Small - The Postman Always Rings Twice

Michel Legrande - The Mountain Men

Miklos Rozsa - The Red House (Alan Wilson / Royal National Scottish Orchestra)

Randy Newman - Toy Story 3

Richard Band - Dragonworld

Robert Folk - A Troll In Central Park

Ron Goodwin - Sir Gawain and the Green Knight

Stu Philips - Battlestar Galactica Volume 3

Stu Philips - Battlestar Galactica Volume 4

Thomas Newman - Whispers In The Dark

There were plenty of impressive releases this year, even if the Disney partnership wasn't as exciting as we'd hoped - not yet, anyway. Conan and North by Northwest, for instance? I'm no connoisseur, and I bet tons of these releases resonated with people. Didn't have the time or inclination to check every one of them out.

I didn't buy a single Intrada release in 2012. Probably more a result of my decision to focus more on JW + other genres of music. I do think it's cool that they have broken ground with so many studios.

I only got Once Upon a Time out of that lot, but it's still an impressive list. LaLaLand has had the bulk of my business in 2012.

My one criticism would be the CD-premiere Disney stuff. I've said it before, and I'll say it again - a CD reissue of a digital album is absolutely nothing to get excited about. If Intrada could put out a CD, it should be a piece of cake for Disney to just do it properly first time round.

I got 5, or rather 6, because Giacchino's Up was one of them, wasn't it? Probably another 10 or so are on my wish list.

Up was 2011. I didn't miss anything in my list.

First clues for Tuesday's new titles, from Doug's Corner

1/4/13

With the new year upon us and everyone here back at their work stations, we happily hit the ground running with two brand new CDs for release this coming Tuesday, January 8. One premieres the complete score to an action-filled 90's film by the greatest action composer of all time, in my humble little opinion. We all enjoyed the original album, albeit we also lamented the fact that literally half the score was missing from the short CD. Lament no more! Those cool action cues are soon to be yours at last. As exciting as I think that release is, I'm particularly thrilled about the second release. Here you'll find a 2-CD set of a powerful Oscar-nominated score, in glorious stereo, for a major epic film that did receive a soundtrack LP back some 40-plus years ago... but only sort of. Those looking for the stunning music after they saw the movie found an album with a great cover... but with contents aimed at a different market. Confused? You'll soon find out what's up. Enjoy knowing that we were all set to premiere that LP oddity on CD when, literally in a wonderful stroke of good fortune, we discovered the complete scoring session elements were unknowningly miss-labeled and vaulted with the film's foley and effects work and essentially lost to the ages. That is until now. What a dream come true for me... and anyone else who's ever hoped this score would one day surface. If you love big endings with fortissimo orchestra and chorus in tow, you'll find this one's a powerhouse! And just for nostalgia, we've also licensed that original LP for fun on disc two.

So, if you'd like to start the new year off with action, adventure and excitement... we've got just the stuff you're looking for!

http://www.intrada.n....php?f=2&t=5333

Then he gave further clues in Intrada's forum

Our first new releases of the year are normally part of Roger's marketing domain in these pre-release discussions. Since he's on vacation, I'll step out from behind the curtain and give things a whirl. So look for two new releases this coming Tuesday, January 8. One offers a complete score from the master of action music, originally issued in the 90's on a relatively short CD and now almost doubled in length. The other release offers an epic score for orchestra and chorus, Oscar-nominated no less, that essentially went missing in action on the original LP some 40-plus years ago. It's truly a cool world premiere presentation, and all in stereo, too. And, yes, that original LP oddity is presented on a second disc for nostalgia's sake.

--Doug

http://www.intrada.n...php?f=12&t=5334

Something tells me Mark O will be able to figure out the early 70's Oscar Nominated title that had a weird LP

Am I to assume that even though Leonard Rosenman's Star Trek IV didn't ship until January 4th, it's still counted as a 2011 release? If that's the case, I didn't actually get any Intrada releases in 2012, but I'm definitely planning to get Star Trek VI and North by Northwest. Oh and probably Conan the Barbarian!

No idea what the new action score is.

Air Force One would need to be a 2 disc set, to include McNeely's music.

I'm gonna say the 90's release may be The Hunt For Red October or a Goldsmith score not issued by Varese. Congo or Deep Rising comes to mind.

I wonder if the Oscar nominated score is something from Henry Mancini? A lot of his albums were marketed differently.

Red October was my first thought, but I don't think it's missing half the score? I know there's supposed to be *some* missing stuff, though I myself can't really recall anything noteworthy. Goldenthal's Sphere would somewhat fit the description, only I don't think he's ever been labelled the greatest action composer of all time. Also, Varese again.

Master of Action score. No doubt it's Goldsmith.

Air Force One or Small Soilders are Varese, also Chain Reaction or others.

So I guess Congo, Deep Rising, or Mulan.

Edit:

90's Goldsmith Action score (List from Filmtracks):

The 13th Warrior (Varese)

The Haunting (Varese)

The Mummy (Complete score need 2CDs)

Small Solders (Varese)

Mulan

U.S. Marshals (Varese)

Deep Rising

The Edge (Released by LLL)

L.A. Confidential (I doubt we can call it action score)

Air Force One (Varese, also the complete score need 2CDs)

Star Trek First Contact (Complete core released)

The Ghost and the Darkness

Chain Reaction (Varese)

Executive Decision (Varese, also the complete score need 2CDs)

First Knight (Released by LLL)

Congo

The Shadow (Released)

Bad Girl (Released)

The River Wild

Medicine Man (Varese)

Mom and Dad Save the World (Varese)

Forever Young (Released by LLL)

Gremlins 2: The New Batch (Varese)

So, Mulan, Deep Rising, The Ghost and the Darkness, Congo or The River Wild are the most posible guess.

But if Intrada can do Varese score...

Look at all the Goldsmith's Holy Grail hold by Varese!

Mulan would be great, and Intrada would be right for the Disney partnership, but you couldn't really describe the official albums as only missing nearly half the score.

Mulan would be great, and Intrada would be right for the Disney partnership, but you couldn't really describe the official albums as only missing nearly half the score.

Mulan's Album has 20 mins of score, so a double would be 40 mins.

Means we are going to have 40 mins score, and 40 more mins of the songs with instrumental version.

Great job! Intrada and Disney!

I hope it's not THE RIVER WILD . Ruling out Varése makes for a rather muted list of Goldsmith possibilities - though GATD would be jubilant indeed.

(and what about JUDGE DREDD?)

Air Force One could be a possibility. Though the ost was 30 minutes long

Varese has the rights to both Air Force One and Small Soldiers in perpetuity!

I hope it's not THE RIVER WILD . Ruling out Varése makes for a rather muted list of Goldsmith possibilities - though GATD would be jubilant indeed.

I don't have that, so I'd welcome it.

(and what about JUDGE DREDD?)

What about it? Goldsmith didn't write any more than the trailer cue....did he?

He didn't.

And double the length of that trailer cue would not warrent a CD release.

Any chance it could be anyone apart from Jerry? The only other I would positively label as a master of action music from that time period is Kamen.

I meant Silvestri. In Intrada hyperbole, he may claim the title today, since neither Goldsmith, Kamen nor Poledouris are scoring action movies since a long, long time.

I don't have that, so I'd welcome it.

It's Goldsmith down in the lows of eternal emptiness.