Star Wars Scores vs Star Trek (2009) - a 3-way poll

Wojo

Scores to John Williams Star Wars franchise vs. Giacchino's Star Trek (2009)  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Star Wars vs Star Trek

• The score to Star Wars (1977) is better than the score to Star Trek (2009).
    • The score to Star Trek (2009) is better than the score to Star Wars (1977).
  2. 2. The Empire Strikes Back vs Star Trek

• The score to The Empire Strikes Back (1980) is better than the score to Star Trek (2009).
    • The score to Star Trek (2009) is better than the score to The Empire Strikes Back (1980).
  3. 3. Worst Star Wars film score vs Star Trek

• The worst score in the Star Wars franchise (either Jedi, TPM, AOTC, or ROTS, it doesn't matter, one of them ends up last) is better than the score to Star Trek (2009).
    • The score to Star Trek (2009) is better than the worst score in the Star Wars franchise (either Jedi, TPM, AOTC, or ROTS, it doesn't matter, one of them ends up last).

You are comparing the scores. Which is better? Which do you prefer? Vote for album representation, vote for as heard on screen. I don't care, vote the way you want.

The only assumption that I'm making is that neither Star Wars nor The Empire Strikes Back is the worst score in the Star Wars franchise. I don't think that's unfair.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I kept it to just Star Wars scores. I'm sure that there is one lousy score out there that Williams wrote that is worse than Michael G's Star Trek.

Resent I think is the word.
I Resemble That Remark

Used in response to a put-down, turning it on the one dishing out the put-down.

Source: The Three Stooges. Has since been used in countless films and tv shows, including Clerks and Friends.

Snooty Rich Lady: "Murphy, who are those slovenly creatures at the door?"

Murphy the butler: The plumbers, Madam.

Snooty Rich Lady: Well, send them to the servant's entrance. We can't allow rifraff in the front door.

Curly: I Resemble That Remark !

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?...20That%20Remark

Star Wars is much better than Star Trek

Empire is much better then Star Trek

Star Trek is much better than AOTC

the entire score to Star Trek doesn't even measure up up to Anakins Dark Deeds (or Battle of the Heroes,or Across the Stars...) . That's not even debatable

Mark O you just put down RotS because Williams re-recorded 1 minute of the Duel from ESB and you feel it's soooo lazy that it brings the whole score down

No. They're not. They're just not. Anakin's Dark Deeds, Battle of Heroes, Across the Stars, they all sound like someone trying so hard and failing.

Those tracks shout "Yo Yo! Look at me! I'm J-Dub! Check diz out bitches! I can use teh epic choir and sexy depressing romantic themes! Check out my bursting at de seems epic choir bitches!" "Say George, am I important/relevant again?"

Meanwhile George is having sex with Ben Burtt, and turning up the volume on those space fighters.

That's literally what goes through my head when I hear those three tracks you mentioned.

Star Trek (2009) on the other hand actually...sounds like Giacchino wasn't interested...and it's still better! It's way more graceful....just because he clearly didn't even try.

Speaking of blind fanboys. I think a few of you have become blind fanboys of Michael Giacchino and can't see his obvious limitations and that he is not REMOTELY in the range of JW.

Koray's opinion's on Giacchino are about as balanced as a see saw with an elephant on one end, and the death star on the other.

Williams didn't fail at all. There's lots of people here who consider RotS a near masterpiece

Yes because...it's a step up above from the status quo epic choir's trailer composers are pumping out. It's still glorified trailer music though. Is it necessarily John Williams fault that the last two prequel scores suck? No...the dynamics of Hollywood changed way too much.

Hey I may overpraise Giacchino, but some of his very early work is like impossibly good. I said it when I first listened to Star Trek, it's good but not as good as some of his other work.

How he gets inspiration to compose an amazing score for a crappy Small Soldiers game is beyond me.

I got a headache just reading the choices. I could listen to a Star Wars or a Star Trek score everyday and not get sick of them. Hands down my two favorite franchises.

When I listen to ROTS, I hear 1 or 2 good cues followed by a lot of tired sounding material from someone who was ready to move on after 1999 but felt he needed to stay and finish as a courtesy.

Those tracks shout "Yo Yo! Look at me! I'm J-Dub! Check diz out bitches! I can use teh epic choir and sexy depressing romantic themes! Check out my bursting at de seems epic choir bitches!" "Say George, am I important/relevant again?" Meanwhile George is having sex with Ben Burtt, and turning up the volume on those space fighters.

That's literally what goes through my head when I hear those three tracks you mentioned.

I feel very fortunate that my brain hasn't imposed those sorts of thoughts on me while listening to that score!

I mean no disrespect to any one, but how can anyone claim Star Trek is a better score that either AOTC or ROTS is simply beyond me. They're on two completely different levels.

AOTC is decent at best, it's not even Johnny's fault, just look at the movie, he sometimes writes amazing stuff for crap, this wasn't one of those times.

For Star Trek Vs. Star Wars, I voted Star Wars.

For TESB Vs. Star Trek, naturally I voted TESB.

For the "worst" Star Wars film vs Star Trek, I voted Star Wars.

I got a headache just reading the choices. I could listen to a Star Wars or a Star Trek score everyday and not get sick of them. Hands down my two favorite franchises.

That's ok, I got a headache writing the choices, too.

Trent, I hope you meant "score," not "film." This isn't about the films. Let somebody else make that stupid poll.

Williams didn't fail at all. There's lots of people here who consider RotS a near masterpiece

I wouldn't go that far, but I happen to think Revenge of the Sith is about as good an action-adventure score as we could expect from Williams at this stage of his career. It still suffers from the same flaws that hobble all of Williams's post-The Lost World: Jurassic Park action-adventure scores, including the much-heralded Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, but it remains highly listenable.

Trent, I hope you meant "score," not "film." This isn't about the films. Let somebody else make that stupid poll.

Ask and Ye shall receive..... :mellow:

Actually on second thought, we may have already done that.

Any of the Star Wars Scores tops Star Trek (2009) anyday. The score doesnt even come close (as much as its probably perfect for the film, still no where near goo enough to top Williams' Star Wars Music).