Star Wars Scores vs Star Trek (2009) - a 3-way poll

Wojo

Scores to John Williams Star Wars franchise vs. Giacchino's Star Trek (2009)  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Star Wars vs Star Trek

• The score to Star Wars (1977) is better than the score to Star Trek (2009).
    • The score to Star Trek (2009) is better than the score to Star Wars (1977).
  2. 2. The Empire Strikes Back vs Star Trek

• The score to The Empire Strikes Back (1980) is better than the score to Star Trek (2009).
    • The score to Star Trek (2009) is better than the score to The Empire Strikes Back (1980).
  3. 3. Worst Star Wars film score vs Star Trek

• The worst score in the Star Wars franchise (either Jedi, TPM, AOTC, or ROTS, it doesn't matter, one of them ends up last) is better than the score to Star Trek (2009).
    • The score to Star Trek (2009) is better than the worst score in the Star Wars franchise (either Jedi, TPM, AOTC, or ROTS, it doesn't matter, one of them ends up last).

Star Wars

The Empire Strikes Back

worst Star Wars score (Attack of the Clones, I guess)

Maybe this makes me look like a raving Williams fanboy, but I do think there's a lot to even AotC. Williams, when he isn't getting lazy about the quieter underscore, can really nail the emotions of the characters or the tone of the scene. I don't see Giacchino as being on this level (yet).

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe this makes me look like a raving Williams fanboy, but I do think there's a lot to even AotC.

And that, my friend, makes you a man of discerning taste.

As much as I love the Trek scores, I'd go the same route. Star Wars will always be something special, and Giacchino's Trek is only midpack for just the Trek scores. The movies themselves I'd say just the opposite.

Any of the Star Wars films have some amazing cues, even if you don't like the overall score. Can't say that for what I hear in Star Trek.

Maybe because Star Trek is 1 score while Star Wars is 6.

That's one of the most pointlessly and redundantly worthless statements I've ever seen here.

The franchises are a number of films, each with their own score that may or may not be interrelated. But the film "Star Trek" has one score just as the film "Star Wars" also has one score. There is no way that eleven films of Star Trek can be confused for one giant super-movie, and neither do six Star Wars films count as a giant super-movie. That's delusional.

Any of the Star Wars films have some amazing cues, even if you don't like the overall score. Can't say that for what I hear in Star Trek.

I think Enterpraising Young Men is better than anything in AOTC, but that's just me.

Overall I'd say 4 SW scores are better than Star Trek, one is about equal and one is worse.

I think Enterpraising Young Men is better than anything in AOTC, but that's just me.

They're so different that it's hard for me to compare - that's how I often feel about Giacchino, actually. When people claim he's the next John Williams, it's more like...well, no, he's the first Michael Giacchino. :D It's just different. When AOTC first came out, though, there was material that I'm pretty sure I enjoyed more than I enjoy "Enterprising Young Men." Nowadays I'm so used to AOTC that my emotional connection to it is not quite as strong, but I still like the score. I still think I'd rate it higher overall than Star Trek - and that's not a slight on Star Trek.

The franchises are a number of films, each with their own score that may or may not be interrelated. But the film "Star Trek" has one score just as the film "Star Wars" also has one score. There is no way that eleven films of Star Trek can be confused for one giant super-movie, and neither do six Star Wars films count as a giant super-movie. That's delusional.

He's comparing 6 scores to 1. In that above quote, he's not talking about all 11 Star Trek scores, he's talking about Giacchino's. Obviously 6 scores is gonna have more individual cues to like than 1.

the entire score to Star Trek doesn't even measure up up to Anakins Dark Deeds (or Battle of the Heroes,or Across the Stars...) . That's not even debatable

Mark says debates are closed people... bye.

Seriously KM, do actually read what you're typing? You urgently need to stop listening to Williams for a week.

I won't vote in the first two and I don't know SW enough to compare. However, I will definitely say that I think Trek '09 is better than the worst SW (which is IMO Clones).

thats a JOKE KM, BattleoftheHeroes is SH*T, PURE SH*T.

Revenge of the Sith is a s**t score. Its an embarassment to JW's potential.

I don't understand how anyone can say Revenge of the Sith is pure crap unless they're just trying to push buttons. Yes, the tracked and rehashed bits are unfortunate. The album presentation is sub-par. Parts drag. And yet I still love it. There are a number of incredible highlights that really get to me. It was the first time I ever anticipated a score before seeing a movie and I had a great experience watching it in theaters.

I guess I have a connection with it that goes beyond just the music.

I think Joey and KM are really Jacob and 'Esau' continuing their centuries long struggle here at JWFan. :)

The ROTS CD sucks, putting the first part of "Palpatine's Teachings" has to be one of the worst decisions ever made on a Williams CD. My editing sucks so I haven't been able to listen to a better, more complete version which could help my apreciation of the score.

I think it's an uneven score, there's some amazing stuff like Anakin's Dark Deeds and average stuff like General Grievous which just doesn't do it for me. That's my biggest problem with AOTC and ROTS, I don't particularly like the action cues, which in the other 4 SW scores are highlights. At least ROTS has some other good stuff.

Your right the OST is not very good in the way it presents the score. I was also initially dissapointed .You have to judge it by the expanded score

So on one side we have "People who dislike Revenge of the Sith aren't real Williams fans" and on the other side we have "Revenge of the Sith is literally excrement in music." What a reasonable debate.

The ROTS CD sucks, putting the first part of "Palpatine's Teachings" has to be one of the worst decisions ever made on a Williams CD.

I think it's nice and spooky. I like the way it slowly resolves to the more melodic "Palpatine's Big Pitch." Except... that cue wasn't on the CD. :thumbup:

So on one side we have "People who dislike Revenge of the Sith aren't real Williams fans" and on the other side we have "Revenge of the Sith is literally excrement in music." What a reasonable debate.

There's no consistency at all here. Joey and KM pretty much singlehandedly ensure that themselves.

I don't understand how anyone can say Revenge of the Sith is pure crap unless they're just trying to push buttons.

>>>

thats a JOKE KM, BattleoftheHeroes is SH*T, PURE SH*T.

Revenge of the Sith is a s**t score. Its an embarassment to JW's potential.

I'd love to see the motivation behind that post. I know you don't really think that RotS is a bad score Joey.

i really believe that Battle of the Heroes is pure shi* Rich, its not a worthy Star Wars theme, its ill named, and its from a movie that only gets worse from repeated viewings.

BOTH isn't just kinda boring as a musical piece on its own, its also completely innapropriate music for the big duel between Obi Wan and Vader.