Rate "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull"!

Josh500

Rate "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull"!  

77 members have voted

1. 1. The score.

• 5 stars: I love it!
    • 4,5 stars
    • 4 stars: I like it.
    • 3,5 stars
    • 3 stars: It's OK.
    • 2,5 stars
    • 2 stars: I don't like it.
    • 1,5 stars
    • 1 star: I hate it!
    • I'm not familiar with this score.
  2. 2. The movie.

• 5 stars: I love it!
    • 4,5 stars
    • 4 stars: I like it.
    • 3,5 stars
    • 3 stars: It's OK.
    • 2,5 stars
    • 2 stars: I don't like it.
    • 1,5 stars
    • 1 star: I hate it!
    • I'm not familiar with this movie.

Maybe people's opinion have changed a bit after 1 year... for the better, or for the worse!

For me, the good cues have gotten better (Whirl Through Academe, Irina's Theme, Jungle Chase, Departure, Mutt's Theme etc.). I can't say how the bad cues have gotten, since I never listen to them...

Score: 4 stars

Movie: 3,5 stars

It's OK. The film actually starts not half-bad, but the second half is like a pudding. The score suffers from a contrast between the Raiders quotes and Williams's modern action music (which I don't mind in other scores, but here it's a problem). The non-action music is mostly very good though.

I give "The Jungle Chase" and "A Whirl Through Academe" a 5 each, actually. They are outstanding.

The rest is divided between 4 (the concert pieces like "Mutt" and "Irina," "Ants!," "Departure," etc.) and 2 (the atmospheric cues).

Still, I enjoy this score more than, say, "War of the Worlds," "The Patriot", or "The Terminal," to name just 3. Hell, it's Indiana Jones, after all. :)

Score:4.5

Explanation: I used to rate JW scores against other JW scores here (normally it would be a 3.5). Now my new ratings are rating vs Zimmer/Michael Giacchino because of the shift of the board towards other composers and the opportunity for some people to act more Anti JW than they normally do.

Movie:2.5. stars. no,it's not very good

2 stars but I reject josh stupid comment afterwards, its just ok.

3.5 for both. :)

Who knows, maybe when Indy 5 arrives I might get used to the 'older' Indy and the newer style of JW's Indy music and therefore appreciate it better.

Score 3

Movie 2.5

The movie seems more pointless every time I see it. The score has some excellent highlights, but outside those I find it a very uninspiring work.

Explanation: I used to rate JW scores against other JW scores here (normally it would be a 3.5). Now my new ratings are rating vs Zimmer/Michael Giacchino because of the shift of the board towards other composers and the opportunity for some people to act more Anti JW than they normally do.

Opportunity to act more anti-JW?

It's just a question of whose music we prefer some of the time, believe it or not. It's not like we're forgetting to arrive at the Church of Williams every week.

Score 3

Film 2,5

I relistened/rewatched it last weekend. The movie is just hacked up goodelements, that - with a little restructuring and refining - could have been a good film.

If Williams would not just have exactly copied scorelements (no I don't mean themes) from so many other of his scores, this could have been a great soundtrack.

Who knows, maybe when Indy 5 arrives I might get used to the 'older' Indy and the newer style of JW's Indy music and therefore appreciate it better.

If there's a God in this universe there'll never be an Indy 5.

If there's a God in this universe there'll never be an Indy 5.

I know, I was joking. :)

:)

2.5 for the score

1.5 for the film

I rated 3.5 for both score and film.

Originally the impression the score on CD gave me was no more than a 3. But after incorporating the extended bits of the Jungle Chase and the entire Warehouse Escape track from the Pre-Viz DVD bonus features, those two tracks alone bumped up the score as a whole in my opinion. The Jungle Chase in it's entirety (or near-entirety) is a classic Indiana Jones action cue, IMO. As it was on the OST, it was not. And that Warehouse Escape cue is one of my favorites from the score, and I think Williams made a big mistake not including it at all on the OST in favor of slower cues of underscore. For the other Indy scores I would give a 4 for Raiders and Last Crusade and a 5 for Temple of Doom.

As for the film, I remember being really upset the first time I saw it. I didn't like it much at all, and originally would have given it something like a 2. But as I have seen it more, I have grown to like it a lot more. But it still is subpar to the original films, which I give all 5s for those.

For the film it was the opposite . I liked it the first time but by the third viewing it went down a lot..a lot of it was silly. Especially the snake pit sequence and waterfalls

4.5 and 4.5

I actually think that the highlights of the score are just as good as the highlights of any of the other Indy scores, but there's just too much uninteresting stuff for me to give it a 5.

I watched the making-of thing on the DVD and it confirms something that a member here suggested - everything that went wrong on Indy 4 was Lucas' idea.

My first reaction from the cinema was reasonable film, rubbish ending. But now there are so many scenes and story ideas that just don't seem to make any sense whatsoever to me, or don't seem to contribute anything to furthering the plot.

I thought the ending was one of the best things about it.

I think laying the blame at Lucas' feet is a little too easy. Even ideas as ludicrous as those that came from him and Spielberg could have been done well with a writer better than David Koepp. I don't think it's a coincidence that Spielberg's "decline" has coincided with his use of Koepp as screenwriter.

3.5 for the score. It's improved with repeated listens. Maybe the emotion is lacking, and there are really lame cues like that reuse of the Grail theme at the end (with a sappy new clarinet intro), but parts of it are really cool. Most everything involving the Skull theme. Some solid action music. The new ending to the Raiders March is inspired.

1.5 stars for the film. It's fucking horrible!

3 stars for both.

I like the concert pieces and some other tracks but as a whole the score bores me a bit, the later part in particular is hard to get through.

The movie is decent, my main problem again is that it's boring. I always thought the main issue would be Harrison's age but instead it was the script. The whole "we know what to do cause Oxley's been here before" was lazy, having plot points that don't get resolved (the FBI bit) also lazy. And while I'm sure the other 3 movies have their fair share of mistakes I'm pretty sure they just mixed the Incans and the mayans without much research.

Most likely 3.5 for both. Last time I saw the movie I actually liked it more than I had previously, I haven't listened to the score very much at all.

4.5 stars for the score. It's so much more artistic than anything else written these days.

1 star for the movie, I could have chosen 1.5 as well. It was a horrible watching experience. I expected so much of this movie, and what we got was an insult to the fans. I gave it a second chance on dvd, but it was as embarrassing as the first time watching. I wish I could have given this at least 3 or 3.5. I'm sorry.

The new ending to the Raiders March is inspired.

Yes. I think JW was walking a very fine line here.

I guess he thought he had to tweak the Raiders March somehow to make it apppear fresh after almost 20 years, but I guess he didn't want to make a completely new "modern" version...

IMO, he found the perfect balance there.

4.5 stars for the score. It's so much more artistic than anything else written these days.

Yes, I agree.

For the film it was the opposite . I liked it the first time but by the third viewing it went down a lot..a lot of it was silly. Especially the snake pit sequence and waterfalls

And the monkeys and the refrigerator and the rubber alien...? :lol:

0 and 0. I re-programmed the poll so it was possible to vote correctly.

I hate that guy.

Spielberg has proven he's got good taste in sticking with JW, but considering David Koepp, he's also proven he's got bad taste.

I wish Spielberg would collaborate with Frank Darabont...

I hate that guy.

Spielberg has proven he's got good taste in sticking with JW, but considering David Koepp, he's also proven he's got bad taste.

I wish Spielberg would collaborate with Frank Darabont...

Well his script for the Indy IV was even more outrageous than the Koepp one. Some good things in it but also some really silly stuff that could compete with "nuke the fridge". But yes generally Koepp has not exactly convinced me either with his writing skills.

Score - 4.5 Stars. I more than like it.

Movie - 4 Stars. I like it.

I was actually just listening to the unreleased bits from the DVD animatics extras earlier. Great stuff. The most underrated music from this album is the subdued and creepy exploration music. Secret Doors and Scorpions! Oxley's Dillemma! I love it. To me, this is the same Williams I grew up with. The action music is less heart pounding, but that mirrors the lighter antics of the chase scenes. There's no point where you think our heroes will really be harmed in the film, so doing something as suspenseful as Desert Chase would have been a mismatch. Indy getting shot in the arm by a Nazi is much scarier than Indy surrounded by CGI Ants.

One of the very best moments in the score is opening up the alien bag in Area 51. Still unreleased.

Score - 4.5 Stars. I more than like it.

Movie - 4 Stars. I like it.

I was actually just listening to the unreleased bits from the DVD animatics extras earlier. Great stuff. The most underrated music from this album is the subdued and creepy exploration music. Secret Doors and Scorpions! Oxley's Dillemma! I love it. To me, this is the same Williams I grew up with. The action music is less heart pounding, but that mirrors the lighter antics of the chase scenes. There's no point where you think our heroes will really be harmed in the film, so doing something as suspenseful as Desert Chase would have been a mismatch. Indy getting shot in the arm by a Nazi is much scarier than Indy surrounded by CGI Ants.

One of the very best moments in the score is opening up the alien bag in Area 51. Still unreleased.

The only suspenseful moment I can think of is when they run down the hiding stairs. The music there is awfully similar to one of Williams' older cues, but at the moment I don't remember which one.

The problem with this score is that you can hear it's another Williams score that slavishly follows an Spielbergian action movie. In the end, it's sad to see Williams wasting his last breath on trivial factory work.

Alex

Score -- I'll go with a 3.5

Movie: I loved it until the first prairie dog appeared - zero.