The MONKEY ISLAND and other Adventure Games thread

Jay

3 hours ago, Jay said:

What do you mean? 

*sigh* I was saying you would eat up anything they did, and call it brilliant, as an excuse to post that GIF. See, the dude in the GIF...is you, and the slop shooting into his mouth...is LucasArts games.

I like all the old LucasArts adventure games, but their games in other genres were hit and miss. Probably more hit than miss, though I didn't play all of them. 

I did play all their adventure games and loved them all, but the two Monkey Island games were always my favorite. Zak McKracken is right up there too. 

Sometime soon I want to play through the whole run of them

The first three Monkey Island games, Fate of Atlantis, Day of the Tentacle and Grim Fandango are probably the top 6 adventure games I have ever played

Their other adventure games, while still good for the most part, did not reach the heights of those 6, which, tainted by nostalgia or not, I consider to be pretty much perfect. And great scores too.

I never thought equally highly rated games like Broken Sword ever were at the same level

I only played the first two Monkey Island games, and whilst I loved them both, I also remember feeling like the sequel was a step down from the original game. Indeed, the first one blew me away at the time, it was a whole new gaming experience for me, and I instantly regarded it as being the best thing I'd ever played. But part 2 didn't live up to the expectations I had of it; I vaguely recall (this was the early 90s!) being unsatisfied with the story, I didn't really like the direction in which they took the characters (I seem to remember going right off Governor Marley). 

I never played the subsequent games, one because I don't think my computer could handle the third game (or was incompatible) and two, because I hated the change in art style. 

I'm amazed I can remember any of this at all tbh. 

So, thanks to Laserschwert's wonderful efforts, I decided to print the poster art for the first two Monkey Island games and have them framed in old, piratey-looking frames I found in thrift-shops. Took a while to convince the missus :) This is the result:

MI01.jpg

• 1 month later...

Here's a bigger picture

EnhqJXVW8AAGF44?format=jpg&name=large

Looking at it closer, the Guybrush statue doesn't really look like Guybrush, and the Murray candle holder doesn't really look like Murray. The artwork on the enamel pins is sadly the newer style of art the later games used as opposed to the glorious pixel art of the originals.

But the miniposters are cool, as is the fact you get the games on DVD-Roms AND a USB (AND the USB says "LUCASFILM LTD instead of LucaArts or sometihng elses)

The Ask Me About Loom button, E-Ticket, and sloppy 22 are pretty clever, and I like that Ron Gilbert is actually involved.  The Diorama is, I dunno, hard to tell from this image, and I wonder what's in the book?

Overall, kinda neat that my beloved franchise of my childhood is getting some love thrown at it, but again... THAT PRICE!!!

If there was a version with just the DVDs, the USB, the mini-posters, and the book for like $75 I'd be all over it

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Is that true @Laserschwert?

Yes. Originally I only provided artwork for the release (via my LucasArts Posters project), but when the original announcement came out and people weren't too happy with it, I offered LRG my help for a re-design. I've designed most of the main box, and added more artwork throughout the project.

By the way, the book is a collection of behind-the-scenes articles, making-ofs and brand new interviews with all major players, plus tons of artwork. It isn't finished yet though. (The editor, Gamespite's Jeremy Parish, is speaking of 150k words, so it's going to be a big one).

On 11/24/2020 at 11:51 AM, Oomoog the Ecstatic said:

One of the best games ever:

Crushes my soul to see such a brilliant game come to an end again with no industry for this pure art. At Dead of Night is a new game by the makers of Contradiction, released just a week ago today, and it only has 14 reviews! I can't believe that... such unfairness. This company should be booming by now, though I haven't played the new game yet, I'm trying to get over the shock of the last one. I hope it's even somewhat as good. If by it chance turns out to be a dud, I can only blame the industry and public for having their heads up their asses while not supporting this company. I'm so happy to see they released their next game, will update once played.

za4wgdE.jpeg9doO5ld.jpeg

At Dead Of Night is part horror film, part horror game and part ghost hunt. It blends live-action and graphics to create a unique immersive horror experience like no other.

• 1 month later...

I played a demo on PS4 of a new-ish adventure game called When The Past Was Around, anybody here play it?

It had nice graphics

When The Past Was Around - Prologue on Steam

I'll pick it up someday for Switch probably

On 24/11/2020 at 3:40 PM, Jay said:

Here's a bigger picture

Looking at it closer, the Guybrush statue doesn't really look like Guybrush, and the Murray candle holder doesn't really look like Murray. The artwork on the enamel pins is sadly the newer style of art the later games used as opposed to the glorious pixel art of the originals.

But the miniposters are cool, as is the fact you get the games on DVD-Roms AND a USB (AND the USB says "LUCASFILM LTD instead of LucaArts or sometihng elses)

The Ask Me About Loom button, E-Ticket, and sloppy 22 are pretty clever, and I like that Ron Gilbert is actually involved.  The Diorama is, I dunno, hard to tell from this image, and I wonder what's in the book?

Overall, kinda neat that my beloved franchise of my childhood is getting some love thrown at it, but again... THAT PRICE!!!

I took the plunge and pre ordered this today, on the very last day. The price is very steep, but the "fear of missing out" got the best of me.

On 24/01/2021 at 4:07 PM, Jay said:

I played a demo on PS4 of a new-ish adventure game called When The Past Was Around, anybody here play it?

It had nice graphics

When The Past Was Around - Prologue on Steam

I'll pick it up someday for Switch probably

That looks really intriguing. I will definitely check it out

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/24/2020 at 10:40 AM, Jay said:

Here's a bigger picture

From an email from Limited Run Games:

We thought it was time our Monkey Island fans got an update. We know everyone is excited to receive this awesome anthology, and we can’t wait to start shipping them out. We’re at the final stages of production. Here’s what’s completed:

• Disk 22 Floppy Diskette
  • Big Whoop Amusement Park E-Ticket
  • "ASK ME ABOUT LOOM" Button
  • Shadowbox 6"
  • Guybrush Resin StatueCode
  • WheelsEnamel Pin Set
  • Resin Murray Candle Holder
  • Behind-The-Scenes 160+ Page Anniversary Book
  • 5 Reversible 8 x 10 inch Mini-Posters featuring maps and promo art on reverse-side
  • 4-Disc DVD-ROM Collection containing all five games
  • USB with all 5 games

All we’re waiting on now is final approval for the completed 160+ page anniversary book and the hand-signed certificate of authenticity by series creator Ron Gilbert. That’s right, hand-signed! There are roughly 10,000 of these for Ron to sign. That’s a lot of certificates to get through for one person, so we’re sending Ron our energy!

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

https://www.reddit.com/r/MonkeyIsland/comments/nw77er/mi_30th_anniversary_update_160_page_book_signed/

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That MONKEY ISLAND set looks great. Shame it doesn't include the Telltale ones, as far as I can tell, but I'm guessing it's a rights conflict thingie. My father bought at least the first 3 when they came out, but I think my brother inherited the boxes when my parents moved to an apartment earlier this year.

Now that my gaming days are 20 years in the past, I want to write a blog post at some point about this period. Especially about the adventure games. I did this podcast episode (in Norwegian) last year about some of the greatest scores of these games I played (and I aim to do a special one just about Lucasarts, with guests), but that's not enough. For my own sake, it would be great to have this period organized on paper.

[Edit: The box might contain the Telltales after all, I now realize]

• 3 weeks later...
On 30/10/2021 at 6:47 PM, Thor said:

[Edit: The box might contain the Telltales after all, I now realize]

It does. Apparently, they will deliver this before the year is out. Really looking forward to get mine

• 4 months later...

I wonder if there are secrets and easter eggs in the official website.  I noticed if you move your mouse to the left or right, the island moves to the right or left

I also tried to drag the pirate ship all over the screen, but no change.

I am glad we seem to be getting back to Mêlée Island as seen in the first game. The Mêlée in MI4 never felt like the real thing. Too many open spaces. Houses too far apart