The MONKEY ISLAND and other Adventure Games thread

Jay

Maybe this will help explain what I'm talking about. Check out this video of the intro to MI2 played through a Roland MT-32 soundcard:

Sounds amazing, right? Well, if you just load MI2 into ScummVM and don't change any settings, it doesn't sound like that. It sounds fine, but not awesome like that. I was wondering if anybody here knew how to make it sound like that (without finding an actual MT-32 somewhere obviously)

Those guys have an actual Roland MT-32 they are using

I did some more investigating too and I think that MT-32 emulation is coming, but isn't complete yet. Its too bad, the music in that youtube clip I posted sounds great!

There are some screenshots of the Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition here at a more appreciable resolution. It looks gorgeous to me, although I'm sure the game in its original form has an irreplaceable charm. Maybe I'll do that first, then play through a second time with the new graphics.

• 3 weeks later...

It looked decent. There were lip-sync problems that was a minor annoyance, and I am still not sure if I like the look of the game. The writing is still very good, though, I am relieved to find. Six more days!

I'm not going to watch it until the game comes out. I don't want to know too much beforehand.

It's being reported that the release date for the SE of Secret of Monkey Island will be a week later, the 14th, but that's not official yet.

Looks like Telltale is having some technical issues. It's good because it shows how high a demand there is for this game, but it's bad because...I WANT TO PLAY IT!!! :P

It is indeed. I've just finished downloading and am about to start the first new Monkey Island game in almost 10 years. I can hardly believe it's happening.

Over 10 years!? When was the fourth one released, again?

Oops, I went to type almost, and it became over. Hey, it feels that long. The last one prior to this was 2000.

Holy. Monkey. Bladders. This is awesome. The opening sequence rocks, and now I'm into the game "proper". Let me say for anyone who's doubted the visual/graphic direction, this game is beautiful. Artistically it's pretty much CMI in 3D, and technically the graphics are at a much higher level than I thought they would be, way above even the most recent Sam & Max. And there's already been more than a few lines that spawned uncontrollable laughter.

The controls are a bit different from what I expected. Rather than going the traditional point 'n' click like Sam & Max, this is a hybrid of that and the keyboard controls from EMI and Grim Fandango. If you hold the left mouse button you get a halo around Guybrush that acts as a compass, you can move a full 360 degrees, and holding down the right button makes him run. Or you can use the arrow keys on the keyboard. So far there have been times where I've had trouble maneuvering around objects with the mouse. And some of the more dramatic camera angles, while very nice looking, aren't so great for the controls.

I still don't know if I should get the Wii version or the PC version (which would require me to install Windows somewhere). No other versions have been announced since, have they? A PS3 port would be nice...

• 2 weeks later...

I've downloaded Secrets of Monkey Island: Special Edition yesterday; what a joy! Love the new presentation, and that you can at any time switch back to the original version. Anyone else her who gave it a try already?

No, but I would love to. Are the voice-overs done well? I have to be completely honest, I was disappointed with the way Dominic Armato handled the lines shown in the trailer....

I haven't seen the trailer, but I was satisfied so far; they try to convey the text with passion and in the context of the scene (the replies to insults are delivered in an uncertain, questioning way when used inappropriately, but bold when fitting, for example). Given that much of the dialog is quite hard to say, it's good work overall.

I've downloaded Secrets of Monkey Island: Special Edition yesterday; what a joy! Love the new presentation, and that you can at any time switch back to the original version. Anyone else her who gave it a try already?

Does it work in ScummVM?

Does it work in ScummVM?

You can only play it in the environment of the steam engine (like all of their games), which for me worked very well so far. I just don't like that I cannot play it independent from their servers

I've been waiting to see if the PC release was going to be available anywhere other than Steam.

Doesn't look good; no mention of any other way of publication. They really like the "steam method" at present, I guess it's closest to Lucas' idea of customer control (he apparently hates it when people actually own an independent hard copy of one of his company's products; remember when he wanted to introduce DVDs that can only be used once or so and then become useless?)

You can only play it in the environment of the steam engine (like all of their games), which for me worked very well so far. I just don't like that I cannot play it independent from their servers

Steam has an engine??

It phones home??

Crap! :lol:

Just when I thought they may finally have learned a thing about customer friendliness after all these years.

Steam has an engine??

It phones home??

Crap! :lol:

Just when I thought they may finally have learned a thing about customer friendliness after all these years.

Maybe I used the wrong terminology; steam works like an emulator (an environment that runs, e.g. The Dig smoothly on present-day computers), apparently only working with feedback from the steam website. As I said, I don't like that dependence, but then, you get to play these games that are otherwise difficult to obtain for a reasonable price, and you don't have to worry about compatbility and the like. You can also download it again and again to whatever computer you like. I will certainly not download new games that I can easily play on my computer, though.

OK, I've installed Steam, purchased it, and am downloading now. If it works out I'll buy the three games I want from the earlier batch too (Last Crusade, Fate of Atlantis, and Loom).

Is that only available as a download or can you buy it in stores?

Steam has an engine??

It phones home??

Crap! :thumbup:

Maybe I used the wrong terminology; steam works like an emulator (an environment that runs, e.g. The Dig smoothly on present-day computers), apparently only working with feedback from the steam website. As I said, I don't like that dependence, but then, you get to play these games that are otherwise difficult to obtain for a reasonable price, and you don't have to worry about compatbility and the like. You can also download it again and again to whatever computer you like. I will certainly not download new games that I can easily play on my computer, though.

I don't think so. The games themselves have been modified to run on modern computers. Steam isn't an emulator that puts your computer into DOS mode or Windows 3.1 mode or something. Steam is just a client for downloading and managing games. However, the DRM involved ensures that you can't play the games without Steam.

HB is correct. Steam is not an emulator. It's a way to verify that the game is legitimate each and every time you want to play. Say you want to play one of the earliest Steam games, Half-Life 2. You can't just pop in the disc and go, because the game needs Steam running to send your key code (or some other bit of information) off to the Steam servers, to make sure you're legal. Then you can play the game. Current versions of Steam do permit offline play that don't require you to be online to do this, just as long as you have verified the game is legally online at some point.

If you've got a slow internet connection, it's to your advantage to never be online while Steam is running, because Steam will phone home to update itself automatically, and not let you play the game until it's done updating. But Steam is not a game engine in and of itself. It's a way to buy games, manage the updates and backups of the game files, and control regulate the DRM of the games.

HB is correct. Steam is not an emulator. It's a way to verify that the game is legitimate each and every time you want to play. Say you want to play one of the earliest Steam games, Half-Life 2. You can't just pop in the disc and go, because the game needs Steam running to send your key code (or some other bit of information) off to the Steam servers, to make sure you're legal. Then you can play the game. Current versions of Steam do permit offline play that don't require you to be online to do this, just as long as you have verified the game is legally online at some point.

If you've got a slow internet connection, it's to your advantage to never be online while Steam is running, because Steam will phone home to update itself automatically, and not let you play the game until it's done updating. But Steam is not a game engine in and of itself. It's a way to buy games, manage the updates and backups of the game files, and control regulate the DRM of the games.

Oh, thanks for the explanation; I had a misconception of how exactly it works (I actually never tried to play it while not logged in... thought I have to). Anyway, finished Monkey Island, which sadly is rather short... even though I couldn't remember most of the puzzles' solution. The next game will be Loom, but I'll wait for a while

Bought Monkey Island and it won't run. Every time I open it a window pops up saying "Installing Microsoft DirectX" and disappears, then nothing. Boo.

Bought Monkey Island and it won't run. Every time I open it a window pops up saying "Installing Microsoft DirectX" and disappears, then nothing. Boo.

Maybe you need more patience? It took quite a while before it did anything when I started the game; the directx text appeared, stayed there for a long time, disappeared without anything else perceivably happening for a long time, and then the game finally started

Odd. Well, I tried it several times and didn't get any sort of "This game is already running" message. Also, why does it need to install DirectX? I'm pretty sure my installation's up to date. Anyway, I'll try waiting.

I'll lend some patience, Henry. Between last night and today I think it'll be about 3-4 hours before SoMI: SE has finally downloaded fully for me to play. Before anyone asks, my internet is not that slow. I downloaded Part 1 of ToMI straight from Telltale in less than half an hour.

I feel your pain, John. Actually, uh... fuck you! My internet connection's even slower! Lately it's been hovering at nearly dial-up speeds. It's an outrage, I say. That said, my computer should be able to handle the material once it's downloaded, so what gives?

I feel your pain, John. Actually, uh... fuck you!

:)

You're going to hate me more when I tell you that since it finally finished downloading it's been running smooth as silk. I've been dreaming for years upon years of having this game fully voiced, with the original actors no less (Earl Boen is even back as LeChuck even though he's not doing the new game with Telltale), and it doesn't let down. Looks great, too, and I like how some of the original sound effects are being used in the background.

Speaking of ToMI, it was confirmed recently that

Murray will be returning in a future part, voiced again by Denny Delk.

Well, balls. I would like to download Monkey Island from the Xbox Live Marketplace but I don't have enough room for it on my memory card, and I don't have another storage device. :mellow: