The MONKEY ISLAND and other Adventure Games thread

Jay

• 2 weeks later...

The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition

Just finished this. My first Monkey Island experience. I feel a little let down; with all the hype and critical acclaim I expected a spectacular comedy, but it was actually very hit or miss. I think the game generally did well with the fantasy elements, but whenever it ventured into satirical territory (e.g. the character of Stan) the jokes tended to fall flat. The game poked fun at itself so much that sometimes it just made me not care. Still, though, there were some wickedly funny moments, and the gameplay was excellent. Admittedly, I used the hint system to get through the more confusing parts, by which I mean most of the game. The sound effects and music were great. I liked the voice cast. Delightfully hammy. I was sort of disappointed with Dominic Armato himself, though; sometimes he was earnest to the point of obnoxiousness. I wonder how this compares to his performances in the other games. The new graphics were very nice looking, except for the woods, which they completely screwed up. Random paintbrush scribbles and pieces of the old artwork poking through... what happened? But anyway... good game. Bring on LeChuck's Revenge: Special Edition, I say.

If you ever get the chance to play the second one, I think you would be a lot more satisfied with the humor in that one, it is more..."natural", the word might be ("balanced" is another potential word). Expect to use the hint system a lot, though, a lot of the "puzzles" are very obscure as in the first one, if not more so.

The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition

Just finished this. My first Monkey Island experience. I feel a little let down; with all the hype and critical acclaim I expected a spectacular comedy, but it was actually very hit or miss. I think the game generally did well with the fantasy elements, but whenever it ventured into satirical territory (e.g. the character of Stan) the jokes tended to fall flat. The game poked fun at itself so much that sometimes it just made me not care. Still, though, there were some wickedly funny moments, and the gameplay was excellent. Admittedly, I used the hint system to get through the more confusing parts, by which I mean most of the game. The sound effects and music were great. I liked the voice cast. Delightfully hammy. I was sort of disappointed with Dominic Armato himself, though; sometimes he was earnest to the point of obnoxiousness. I wonder how this compares to his performances in the other games. The new graphics were very nice looking, except for the woods, which they completely screwed up. Random paintbrush scribbles and pieces of the old artwork poking through... what happened? But anyway... good game. Bring on LeChuck's Revenge: Special Edition, I say.

I think you are suffering the 'nostalgia' sindrome.

Since you didnt play this game when you were young and the computers didnt have better games, you are missing the charm...

I was sort of disappointed with Dominic Armato himself, though; sometimes he was earnest to the point of obnoxiousness.

Well... that's Guybrush.

I don't believe that the quality of a game depends on nostalgia. The level of resistance to get used to the mode of gameplay can (some old games that used to be favourites are just really hard to play nowadays where we're used to advanced user interfaces), but the content itself I believe is independent. For example, I don't think you must have played Tetris in the 80s to appreciate it now. It's good because of what it is, not because of the fact that it was what it is 25+ years ago.

I was sort of disappointed with Dominic Armato himself, though; sometimes he was earnest to the point of obnoxiousness.

Well... that's Guybrush.

I don't believe that the quality of a game depends on nostalgia. The level of resistance to get used to the mode of gameplay can (some old games that used to be favourites are just really hard to play nowadays where we're used to advanced user interfaces), but the content itself I believe is independent. For example, I don't think you must have played Tetris in the 80s to appreciate it now. It's good because of what it is, not because of the fact that it was what it is 25+ years ago.

that quote is not mine ;)

Sorry, give tetris to a kid now and he will laugh on you face. Instead give it to a child 25 years ago and he will be absorbed for hours.

I'm not saying that Monkey or tretris are bad games, just that the people that can appreciate them more are the persons than were there when they were first released.

that quote is not mine ;)

True. I don't know how that happened.

Sorry, give tetris to a kid now and he will laugh on you face. Instead give it to a child 25 years ago and he will be absorbed for hours.

That may be right. But I attribute that more to people being "spoiled" by the current style of movie/game making. I've seen people say they can't watch black and white movies, or movies made in the 50s because of the way people are dressed, or that Hitchcock films are boring instead of suspenseful.

But I don't believe that means these films haven't aged well, just that some people may not know "how" to watch them anymore. And that, I think, isn't necessarily connected to growing up with them. I have some favourite movies from 60 years before I was even born. You just have to approach them with an open mind, and ideally (that may be the crucial point) as if you were watching them in the time they were made. I can marvel at Hitchcock's stylistic inventions or Harryhausen's special effects even though, if I approach them from a modern point of view, they were inventive but certainly look simple/funny/common these days.

Ultimately though, I've been accidentally ignoring my original point, which should have been: The game *content* of Monkey Island is, I believe, not dated in any way (except in the way that when it was made, the last good pirate movie wasn't that long past, whereas nowadays people hear "pirates" and think of those Bruckheimer abominations). The style and technical implementation has, to all I know (I haven't played the SE yet) been successfully updated and therefore should not make the game "harder" to get into. And I strongly object to the idea that point and click is a primitive concept nowadays and that every game has to be a first person 3D extravaganza. That's like saying modern movies cannot work with orchestral scores and that every new fantasy movie has to have a pop soundtrack. I have yet to see an adventure concept that can rival point & click (or, for a more literary and imagination-based kind of adventure - yes, I'm serious - text adventures/interactive fiction).

I'm not saying that Monkey or tretris are bad games, just that the people that can appreciate them more are the persons than were there when they were first released.

Henry, if you were leaning on the hint system for MI 1, you're going to be in deep, deep trouble for Lechuck's Revenge. ;) Along with Day of the Tentacle it's probably the most evil game LA ever produced. I've played the original so many times that I could almost literally play the whole thing blindfolded, but there are occassions in 2 that I need to be reminded of something.

I finished Fate of Atlantis last night, and enjoyed it much more than my first time a year or so ago, I think I was suffering from high expectations. But this Steam version does have some serious sound issues. After getting done I loaded up my old copy on SCUMMVM and found that not only is the music mixed criminally low (even messing with my MIDI settings as Henry suggested didn't help), but there are many missing sound effects also. As far as I can tell Loom didn't have this problem.

Give Tetris a two-hour opening FMV, a Western Mangaesque androgynous character who uses the powers of Tetris to fight against an evil demon who just happens to be related to them in some way, and it'd sell like hotcakes.

Heh. ;)

Henry, if you were leaning on the hint system for MI 1, you're going to be in deep, deep trouble for Lechuck's Revenge. ;) Along with Day of the Tentacle it's probably the most evil game LA ever produced. I've played the original so many times that I could almost literally play the whole thing blindfolded, but there are occassions in 2 that I need to be reminded of something.

When I first played it, the monkey wrench puzzle drove me insane (it didn't help that in the translation, the joke doesn't work at all, so I don't know why you'd think of the solution in the first place). Also, I hadn't bought the pen yet when I tried to climb the tree, ending up stranded in the only Lucas Arts adventure dead end I know of.

I finished Fate of Atlantis last night, and enjoyed it much more than my first time a year or so ago, I think I was suffering from high expectations. But this Steam version does have some serious sound issues. After getting done I loaded up my old copy on SCUMMVM and found that not only is the music mixed criminally low (even messing with my MIDI settings as Henry suggested didn't help), but there are many missing sound effects also. As far as I can tell Loom didn't have this problem.

They should just sell the original games with SCUMMVM. I'd buy that.

Heh. ;)

When I first played it, the monkey wrench puzzle drove me insane (it didn't help that in the translation, the joke doesn't work at all, so I don't know why you'd think of the solution in the first place)

same here.

A fine example of 'lost in translation'

Give Tetris a two-hour opening FMV, a Western Mangaesque androgynous character who uses the powers of Tetris to fight against an evil demon who just happens to be related to them in some way, and it'd sell like hotcakes.

Sounds like something you would find on the Playstation Portable.

Ultimately though, I've been accidentally ignoring my original point, which should have been: The game *content* of Monkey Island is, I believe, not dated in any way (except in the way that when it was made, the last good pirate movie wasn't that long past, whereas nowadays people hear "pirates" and think of those Bruckheimer abominations). The style and technical implementation has, to all I know (I haven't played the SE yet) been successfully updated and therefore should not make the game "harder" to get into. And I strongly object to the idea that point and click is a primitive concept nowadays and that every game has to be a first person 3D extravaganza. That's like saying modern movies cannot work with orchestral scores and that every new fantasy movie has to have a pop soundtrack. I have yet to see an adventure concept that can rival point & click (or, for a more literary and imagination-based kind of adventure - yes, I'm serious - text adventures/interactive fiction).

I didn't find the Special Edition dated at all. The graphics and audio are on par with modern games (or would be on par, if anyone was gutsy enough to try doing a 2D adventure). What I'm questioning is how funny it was in the first place. Obviously this is subjective, but some of the humor didn't speak to me. I saw it as falling into the classic trap of "random = funny."

TMI Part 2, The Siege of Spinner Cay, will be out August 20. From Telltale:

Guybrush's adventures continue on the high seas as pox-plagued pirates lay siege to the innocent Mer-People. In between defending the Mer-People and dodging the persistent pirate hunter hot on his trail, Guybrush manages to catch up to his beloved wife and despised arch-nemesis -- but their reunion is short-lived. Now Guybrush must focus on eradicating the Pox of LeChuck before more harm can be done. And as the Mighty Pirate draws closer to a cure, the waters will only grow murkier in this thrilling chapter of the epic saga.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

A bit of interesting news: Earl Boen has recorded lines for Tales of Monkey Island: Chapter 1. They're going to feature in an updated release of the game (maybe in the DVD set).

It should be on the DVD, yes. Great call. I remember in chapter 4 when I was messing around with the LeChuck doll I thought "Hey, that sounds like Earl Boen!". And at the end of that chapter there was no doubt they'd gotten him back.

John- taking a break from playing chapter 5

I finished up the last chapter of Tales of Monkey Island and I'm going back and playing the whole thing through now. Just wonderful. I'll say again, any classic adventure game fans need to head over to Telltale Games and start checking stuff out. They're making them like it hasn't been done since the heyday of LucasArts, and they are also the most customer friendly game company I've ever seen.

And the end of ToMI had the official announcement for season 3 of Sam & Max next year! :lol:

• 2 months later...

That's been video game's worst kept secret, the MI2 SE has been slated for the spring or summer since last fall. The best news distribution wise is that it (along with the SoMI SE and possibly ToMI) will be available on Playstation Network as well as XBox Live. There's even MI customizables for PS Home, which means I might actually load that up for the first time in forever.

There's also a rumor that both SEs will soon be available through Telltale, which is great news for those wanting to avoid Steam.

As for the game itself, I like the initial character art a lot, something I was dubious about at first with the first SE. Also, full voice will be available in both SE and original modes, and there's also a little blurb in there about "new puzzles".

This should be the last SE. Curse doesn't need any kind of upgrades, just make it compatible for modern versions of Windows and the consoles and it's good to go.

Speaking of Steam, the releases have died down. When are we going to get Maniac Mansion, Day of the Tentacle (the only two LA adventures I don't have now...officially :lol: ) and TIE Fighter?

Seeing how relativly close the relationship of Ron Gilbert and Lucasarts seems to be these days (in contrary to 10 years ago) and how popular the first remake was.. maybe the BIG bang next year is going to be the announcement, that Gilbert will design his original intended version of Monkey Island 3?

I knwo maybe it's not going to happen, it was just a spontaneous thought... :lol:

This should be the last SE. Curse doesn't need any kind of upgrades, just make it compatible for modern versions of Windows and the consoles and it's good to go.

ScummVM? Seriously, just package it in a bundle and you're done.

Seeing how relativly close the relationship of Ron Gilbert and Lucasarts seems to be these days (in contrary to 10 years ago) and how popular the first remake was.. maybe the BIG bang next year is going to be the announcement, that Gilbert will design his original intended version of Monkey Island 3?

That would be something. I didn't know Gilbert was involved with those SEs (as you seem to imply)?

Apparently, both Ron Gilbert and Tim Schaffer will do a commentary (akin to a director's commentary on a dvd) for the upcoming LeChuck's Revenge Special Edition

• 2 months later...

The Secret Of Monkey Island (Special Edition)

I've been playing this for awhile, but forgot to mention it here. It was not only until I started that I was hit with a HUGE nostalgia rush. I completely forgot that I had this game back when it first came out. This must have been one of the first games I ever played, because I could only remember certain parts. Now I understand why a lot of people here love it, it's pretty hilarious. Beat the game tonight, and hit the banana tree with the canon. I'm gonna load up my save and play through to the end again, but this time by hitting the ship.

• 4 weeks later...

I got my long-awaited Tales of Monkey Island DVD copy last weekend. I'm playing through that again, and I'm looking forward to checking out all the goodies that they've included.

• 2 weeks later...

IGN reported that a Secret Of Monkey Island 2: Special Edition will be coming out later this Summer which much added improvements over the SE of the first. Looking forward to it.

On another note, I went ahead and ordered Infamous.

• 3 weeks later...

Tales is wonderful. Any fan of classic Monkey Island will love it, it'll wipe the bad taste of Escape right out of your mouth like it never existed.

Tales is wonderful. Any fan of classic Monkey Island will love it, it'll wipe the bad taste of Escape right out of your mouth like it never existed.

I suppose i will enjoy it greatly since i liked Escape...

As good as MI2 too is, it still pales next to the original. I didn't play anymore after the first two.