The MONKEY ISLAND and other Adventure Games thread

Jay

• 9 months later...

The games are good fun. The Special Editions are awesome. I like how HD remakes are becoming a trend. We all get to experience what we loved most as kids, in (mostly) current specs, and the developers make tons of money for future games.

For a good ten years I considered Monkey Island 1 the greatest game of all time. I played it when it first came out on my Amiga 500+. The second game wasn't as good, but it's still legendary and a true great of its time.

I left the series after that, after they changed the wonderful art style of the originals.

The Special Editions are terrific, and the one for Le Chuck's Revenge made huge improvements. It's also wonderful to hear such great music being played by real instruments (or really good samples)

Here is what I found after just a little bit of research on Google: http://www.el33tonli...ion_collection/

Oh, I know they're on the PS3. I even have the demo of MI2. So far I've been put off from getting the actual games because I expect I'll have to play them with the gamepad, when I'd much prefer the mouse.

As far as best MIs go, I'd say (and I think most agree) that as great as the first game is, MI2 is clearly better. I'm probably in the minority when I consider MI3 on the same level. Although in any case MI2 does get bonus points for still being a Gilbert original. I wish he'd be allowed to complete his original trilogy somehow.

Oh, and not having played the SEs yet... I commend MI2 for having some of the best programmed music in gaming history. This is iMuse in its prime, with themes continuing to play seamlessly through several locations while the accompaniment changes. A couple of years later, CD-ROMs and after that cheap memory allowing fully digitised music, threw interactive music back for years.

How do you know what % done you are? Does the SE tell you that?

Did the LOOM joke in the SCUMM bar make any sense to you?

Are you solving all puzzles completely on your own, or are you using a hint guide / google / whatever?

The Special Edition has a "Help" option which give you hints as to what to do to continue the adventure. I use it from time to time, but most of time, I'm just being smart. ;)

Boooooo to that.

I challenge you to complete the rest of the game - as well as all of MI2 - without using the Help system any more, or any other kind of help. If you get stuck, sleep on it. It's amazing what your brain can figure out on a night's sleep :)

SPOILER! :P

Come one! It's not like I revealed something important. Now, if I said "LeChuck kills Elaine at the end", now that would have been a big spoiler! Oh, shit !

I was kiddding, you must be the only one here that has not played these games already :P

I haven't read through all 6 pages of this thread (why are there so many MAMMOTH threads here, anyway?), but am glad to see the love for this game.

I don't play much computer games anymore, but I used to be an avid adventure game player back in the 90's. I've played ALL Lucasarts, Sierra etc. MONKEY ISLAND obviously ranked high on my list, and it was with much delight that I discovered the new Telltales TALES OF MONKEY ISLAND series last year (or was it 2009?). I've played through it all, as well as all the SE editions (the originals have a special nostalgic place in my heart, though...wobbly graphics or not). I've also played through Telltale's BACK TO THE FUTURE games, but have yet to play their new SAM & MAX'es.

As I said, I don't see myself playing many computer games anymore, but I've made an exception with these things. I just hope there will be more of them. And an SE edition of THE DIG would be awesome too, my alltime favourite adventure game.

I haven't read through all 6 pages of this thread (why are there so many MAMMOTH threads here, anyway?), but am glad to see the love for this game.

Because threads don't turn sour here so much because of members like Lehah, Eric Paddon etc...

Because threads don't turn sour here so much because of members like Lehah, Eric Paddon etc...

True. ;) I actually like having one topic on a single issue instead of creating multiple carbon copies. We do the same over at maintitles. Only trouble is that I usually like to read everything before I participate for the first time....and that will have me up all night! STOP TALKING, DAMMIT (so that I can catch up)!

The music is excellent for the most part (special mention for Ghost Ship Shuffle. Funky as hell!).

I agree, but I think I like the original version of that cue even more. The accompaniment is a bit more prominent there.

On the bad side, I expected the game to be longer and bigger. Before playing it, I pictured it as a large game, with lots of islands to discover and all that shit, so I was slightly disappointed that during one third of the game, you're stuck on Melee Island.

You'll have more islands in MI2. :)

And finally, regarding the humor... I've got to admit, I'm not someone that laugh easily, or even smile easily, so that's not entirely the game fault if I didn't find it hilarious. But, yeah, I didn't think it wasn't as funny as people proclaimed it is. There was a few parts that worked for me, though, like when you had to steal the idol at the big monkey head, and bring it back to the Cannibals as a gift, and one of them says something like: "Thank you! Let's bring it to the big monkey head. " :lol:

I love the humour. I've played these games too often to know if they ever made me laugh out loud, but they never fail to make me smile a lot. I also think that there's a lot of humour in them that gets funnier every time.

Of course, be sure to always click through ALL the available dialogue.

PS: Has anyone played the PS3 versions? Could I, as a life-long mouse-based player of these games, get used to the gamepad controls?

100% completed.

Used the seltzer bottle on every damn ghost in Melee Island, stopped Elaine (?) and LeChuck's wedding, got my ass kicked by LeChuck, zapped LeChuck, married Elaine, saw a fireworks, and finished the game...

Guybrush Threepwood will be back...

A few thoughts:

On the good side, I liked the overall design of this Special Edition. Most locations in the game are well done (minus a few screens, where you can see parts of the original game that are still there, particularly in the Melee Forest). Characters look great. The sound effects and voices are mostly good too. The music is excellent for the most part (special mention for Ghost Ship Shuffle. Funky as hell!).

On the bad side, I expected the game to be longer and bigger. Before playing it, I pictured it as a large game, with lots of islands to discover and all that shit, so I was slightly disappointed that during one third of the game, you're stuck on Melee Island. Then there is the journey to Monkey Island, which is not even a journey, but more of a teleportation to that island. And finally, Monkey Island. That's it ? Disappointing. Another thing is all the comings and goings you've got to do during some parts in the game, which can become boring after a while.

And finally, regarding the humor... I've got to admit, I'm not someone that laugh easily, or even smile easily, so that's not entirely the game fault if I didn't find it hilarious. But, yeah, I didn't think it wasn't as funny as people proclaimed it is. There was a few parts that worked for me, though, like when you had to steal the idol at the big monkey head, and bring it back to the Cannibals as a gift, and one of them says something like: "Thank you! Let's bring it to the big monkey head. " :lol:

So, obviously, if the humor doesn't work for you, that takes away a lot of the game's appeal. But overall, I had a nice time playing this game nonetheless. Bring on the sequel!

The Secret Of Monkey Island - Special Edition : Done!

Next up: Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge - Special Edition

P.S.: What was the secret of Monkey Island, by the way ?

Pretty much all your complaints about this game are corrected in Lechuck's Revenge. It was my favorite Special Edition, a step up in every way.

I always thought the Secret of Monkey Island was always and simply the fact that it has a entrance to Hell. I think people have played around with the idea that it was something that was never revealed, to add to the mystique of the series, but I've always felt it was already revealed back in 1990

I always thought the Secret of Monkey Island was always and simply the fact that it has a entrance to Hell. I think people have played around with the idea that it was something that was never revealed, to add to the mystique of the series, but I've always felt it was already revealed back in 1990

I think it was mainly a MacGuffin. Perhaps we would have found out in the true 3rd part, if it ever got made.

Started Monkey Island 2

20% completed.

Met LeGrande, he stole my money, met the Voodoo lady, got a bucket, filled it with mud, dropped it onto Largo's head, stole Largo's laundry, stole his wig, got his spit with a piece of paper, stole his ancestor's bone, made a voodoo doll out of all this shit, kicked Largo's ass with it, made him leave the island, met Captain Dread, told me I needed money to get off the island. Now, I need to find a job...

Those plot points are surely blasts from the past for me. Takes me back to careless teenage years. Glad to see it instill pleasure in coming generations too! :)

40% completed

Captured a rat, got a cook fired, got the job, got money, stole Wally's monocle, got off Scabb Island, got to Phatt Island, was thrown to jail, managed to escape, learn the winning number for the wheel game, won at the wheel game, got an invitation to Elain's party, got a costume, went to Elain's party, stoel the map piece, Elaine throwed it away, stole the dog, tried to get the map with the fishing pole, tried to climb the tree once, then twice, and finally got the first map piece. Three to go.

Wow. bowdown

No way you won the spitting competition that fast without using hints. Monkey Island 2 is a very challenging adventure game, it took me months to finish it (back then, there weren't any "just a click away" online walkthroughs

No way you won the spitting competition that fast without using hints. Monkey Island 2 is a very challenging adventure game, it took me months to finish it (back then, there weren't any "just a click away" online walkthroughs

Agreed. That was a tough one, I seem to remember.

It's nice to refer to a walkthrough now and then when you're really, really stuck, but you pretty much drain all the fun and point of it if you just re-enact what's in the walkthrough.

When I first played MI2, I was still regularly using cheats and walkthroughs if I could get them (from computer magazines). I have no idea where I got the MI2 walkthrough (I didn't have internet at the time), but there were two instances where I really really needed it:

1) For

turning off the waterfall

. I was still playing the German translation at that time, and that riddle just doesn't translate.

2) When I got stuck in

LeChuck's fortress

because I didn't have the song lyrics. I had to start the game over when I learned that I was supposed to have them at this point.

All this talk of monkeys made me finally start Tales of Monkey Island.

Good call! I don't think you will be disappointed, although some of the puzzles feel a bit easier than the old ones.

When I first played MI2, I was still regularly using cheats and walkthroughs if I could get them (from computer magazines). I have no idea where I got the MI2 walkthrough (I didn't have internet at the time), but there were two instances where I really really needed it:

1) For

turning off the waterfall

. I was still playing the German translation at that time, and that riddle just doesn't translate.

2) When I got stuck in

LeChuck's fortress

because I didn't have the song lyrics. I had to start the game over when I learned that I was supposed to have them at this point.

Can you even reach Lechuck's fortress without having those song lyrics? Guybrush writes them down automatically, it doesn't require any command from the player, I seem to remember. Apart from the Indy adventure games where you could die, I don't recall an instance in any of the Lucasarts adventure games where you got irremdiably stuck

Yes, it's the only point in a LucasArts game where I actually got *stuck*, as opposed to dying (which is rarely possible).

Guybrush writes down the lyrics if you buy the quill in time. Perhaps in newer editions there's something that forces you to buy it before you climb the tree, but back on the Amiga, there wasn't. As I recall, Guybrush still said he has to write the lyrics down, and the matching animation played, but immediately afterwards I still only had a blank (well, aside from the spit) sheet of paper. Since you don't need the lyrics until right before the door with the many locks, I kept playing until I got stuck.

managed to "block" the waterfall with the pump thanks to ...(How are you supposed to find how to do that on your own, anyway??)

Now imagine that puzzle in German, where there is no such term as "monkey wrench".

P.S.: The whole library thing was a pain in the ass. Browsing through all this shit to find the right books was quite... irritating...

Really? I often browse through the whole library even though I know what I'm looking for, just for the fun of it.