The MONKEY ISLAND and other Adventure Games thread

Jay

I'm impressed you remember so many details, though, Marian. I remember some big puzzle setpieces, like the spitting competition etc., but no details surrounding them. It's been almost 20 years, after all.

Of course, be sure to always click through ALL the available dialogue.

THIS. A lot of great bits come from exploring all the dialogue paths. Even if you know which one will get you to where you need to be, always explore the other available dialogue for additional jokes and mood/setting, etc.

I'm impressed you remember so many details, though, Marian. I remember some big puzzle setpieces, like the spitting competition etc., but no details surrounding them. It's been almost 20 years, after all.

Well... I've re-played all three games several times. ;)

A good example for this could be the insult swordfighting in the first game: your opponent is saying something, and the text says something completely different (because the translators decided to put another wordplay). The problem is you hear something and you read something different, and then you don't know what is the right answer to the insult, because things start to get all mixed up in your head. TRANSLATORS SUCKS!

To be honest, the German translations of all SCUMM adventures were really well done. This is the only real "problem" I recall with them. Still, I'm always for the untranslated original.

Tales episode 1 done. Episode 2 coming up.

• 1 month later...

I'm in the middle of the final chapter of Tales. Chapters 1 and 2 were fine enough, but 3 (the most surreal MI ever got) and 4 (courtroom drama in adventure format - brilliant) were top notch.

I'm in the middle of the final chapter of Tales. Chapters 1 and 2 were fine enough, but 3 (the most surreal MI ever got) and 4 (courtroom drama in adventure format - brilliant) were top notch.

I think it reaches a fine finale, IMO! The environment of the fifth is almost David Lynch at times. :)

The Curse of Monkey island, i'm not kidding if i tell you it belongs to my top 3 of best games i ever played!!!

I have never seen a more funny and lighthearted game.

For me the best moment

was the fake ending with the end titles scrolling down and then guybrush knocking and saying that he was still there, still alive

bowdown:up::lol::up::lol:

I also used a walkthrough back in 1997 after being stuck for days. Bubble gum was crazy but also some riddles on the harder difficulty mode like how to fill the hole in the boat

The Curse of Monkey island, i'm not kidding if i tell you it belongs to my top 3 of best games i ever played!!!

I have never seen a more funny and lighthearted game.

For me the best moment

was the fake ending with the end titles scrolling down and then guybrush knocking and saying that he was still there, still alive

bowdown:up:laugh.gif:up:laugh.gif

I also used a walkthrough back in 1997 after being stuck for days. Bubble gum was crazy but also some riddles on the harder difficulty mode like how to fill the hole in the boat

It was the Monkey Island game that made me laugh the most. And I finished the game with no hints at all, bubble gum puzzle included, back in 1997.

Papapishu!

Thanks for that review Bloodboal!

Man, how I would kill to be able to pop into a alternate universe where Gilbert and Lucasarts never parted ways, and we could get his true MI3. As fun as COMI is, the whole time playing it I just kept thinking that this is DEFINITELY NOT where things were headed after that MI2 ending.....

Sigh.

That does show up in (I think) all of the subsequent games, whenever Guybrush sinks a long distance in one way or another.

Man, how I would kill to be able to pop into a alternate universe where Gilbert and Lucasarts never parted ways, and we could get his true MI3. As fun as COMI is, the whole time playing it I just kept thinking that this is DEFINITELY NOT where things were headed after that MI2 ending.....

Yes. I still hope he'll someday reveal the rough concept, if he never gets to make it.

PS: Marian, I think you meant the Captain Kate cue.

Yes, I grabbed the wrong link.

Speaking of which, have any rips of the SE game scores surfaced yet? As I feared, it doesn't seem to be quite the type of score release bundled with the box we'd hoped for. According to what I've been told, yes, the scores are there, but not on an audio CD, but on the game discs themselves, playable from a menu in the game, and rippable using the right tools. Compressed but decent quality supposedly.

Haven't yet found out if the PS3 bundle also includes the scores.

Yea I have a fan edit of the score to MI2:SE ripped from the games. Didn't know there was some new music-only feature on some new version of it.

There's a true promo CD of MI:SE's score that was sent to at least one website for review purposes... I don't have a link handy at the moment though.

Nice to see that you have enjoyed the first three games so much! They are truly great, LeChuck's Revenge is one of the best -if not the best- games I have every played, it's brilliant in every way.

But now you'll face the weakest son of the series. Escape is extremly controversial in the community, and while the first two acts are pretty entertaining, its during the third one where you'll decide if you liked it overall or not. I won't spoil, but let's just say it gets a little stupid :P The music is great, though.

However, Tales is fantastic. The first two episodes are weak compared to the rest, but they are still pretty damn good. Overall, the game feels more like a return to what made the first three games great, and the sillyness is kept to a minimum. But there are plenty of laughs and some dark twists. You'll be surprised... :ph34r:

The music is great too, although due to lack of budget and time, the synths are quite crappy. A step back considering the previous two games had live instruments, but well... Maybe someday we'll get some remastered music.

Anyways, keep enjoying the games! It's always nice to see new people interested in this great franchise.

Thanks for the review BB! I agree that its a good game - the humor, the fun animation, bright colors, music, voice acting..... the only detractor is the stubbornness in me that can't put the fact it ignores the MI2 ending out of my head.

I never knew that so much stuff was removed from the ending before, so thanks for sharing the links. I remember as a kid playing it for the first time thinking the ending was somewhat abrupt.

Its been so long since I've played it I don't remember all the puzzles, but I do remember that one puzzle I got stuck on the second time through was when you have to shape the tofu into a head. Couldn't figure that one out.

I never played Escape all the way through, curious to hear your thoughts on it!

PS: Marian, I think you meant the Captain Kate cue.

Yes, I grabbed the wrong link.

Speaking of which, have any rips of the SE game scores surfaced yet? As I feared, it doesn't seem to be quite the type of score release bundled with the box we'd hoped for. According to what I've been told, yes, the scores are there, but not on an audio CD, but on the game discs themselves, playable from a menu in the game, and rippable using the right tools. Compressed but decent quality supposedly.

Haven't yet found out if the PS3 bundle also includes the scores.

http://highland.mixnmojo.com/mi2.shtml

Scroll down and you'll find an oficial download of the MI2 SE soundtrack, nicely assembled and edited by the Highland Productions people.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree that MI4 is mostly bad. In fact, I failed to play through it a second time. I disagree about these however:

On 10/21/2011 at 4:35 PM, BloodBoal said:

The story? What story? Herman is Elaine's grandfather? WTF²?

The new characters? Who? That Australian dude ? What the fuck were they thinking when they created such a lame character?

Ozzie Mandrill and his Australian accent are wonderful. I like the story idea of a mad Aussie buying the Caribbean to turn it into a huge amusement park. There some good humour derived from it - the various places you visit (running sushi, or that Starbucks spinoff) and Guybrush's comments about the Australian fauna.

I just really doesn't manage to work together to create a good game.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Since it (criminally) hasn't been mentioned here yet:

Last week, the great Tim Schafer (of Day of the Tentacle and Grim Fandango fame) put a new adventure game up for funding at Kickstarter and promptly broke all their records when it reached it's 1 Mio $ goal within 24 hours. And apparently, Ron Gilbert is going to be on the team as well.

Last week, the great Tim Schafer (of Day of the Tentacle and Grim Fandango fame) put a new adventure game up for funding at Kickstarter and promptly broke all their records when it reached it's 1 Mio $ goal within 24 hours. And apparently, Ron Gilbert is going to be on the team as well.

AND NOBODY CARES ABOUT IT!??

:sleepy:

Although Brutal Legend was a gem.

But yeah, I don't really care anymore. Just like I don't care that Notch is funding Psychonaughts 2.

Are you going to shout at me about that as well, Marion?

I never played DOTT or Grim Fandago. Sorry.

Apparently Schafer was co-writer on the first two Monkey Islands, too. And of course, Ron Gilbert invented that series.

I just made my $30 contribution.

Nobody here cares, but Double Fine Adventure has hit the $2 Mio mark. A mere week after hitting the first million within 24 hours, just a few hours after the first ever Kickstarter project to reach that sum.

This isn't just awesome. It may be the dawn of a whole new video game economy.

I care! I just haven't been around to say so. ;)

I haven't gotten into any of Schafer's post-LucasArts projects, but he and Ron Gilbert doing a classic adventure is a very tantalyzing prospect. And it nicely fills in the gap that's been left by the current slow demise of Telltale. They hit their peak with season 3 of Sam & Max and Tales of Monkey Island, and have been going slowly downhill ever since. Back to the Future was a good fun story and worthy of the franchise in that regard, but lacking as an actual game. Trying to "mainstream" their projects too much methinks.

• 3 months later...

[media=]

When a brilliant particle physicist dies unexpectedly, the race is on to secure his terrible new technology before it falls into the wrong hands. The lives of four playable characters become entangled as they fight against the clock to find the dead scientist's secret vault. The suspicions they harbor, the memories they guard, the connections they share—all will converge as these four ordinary people work together to prevent a potentially cataclysmic disaster.

Features:

- Voiceover work featuring fan favorite Logan Cunningham (Bastion)

- Four playable swappable characters

- A twisting, riveting storyline influenced by player decisions

- Long and short term memory system - ask anybody about anything!

Excellent! That's my kind of game (very 90s!), even though they're hardly made anymore (except by Telltale once in a while). Will check it out.