The MONKEY ISLAND and other Adventure Games thread

Jay

The Dig is a thing of beauty. The puzzling is pretty straightforward, in that logical solutions present themselves, you don't have to find some object to combine with something else in a way that makes little sense. That's a problem I had with most Lucasarts adventures from that time, but not this one. Its story, music and artistic design hooked me back in '95 and still do. The only things dating it are the crude handdrawn animations and terribly low res graphics. Would love to see this one remade. And keep the original cast.

With 2 Indy games already on GOG, I hope to see Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine released someday.

• 5 months later...

The creator of Monkey Island.

If you have no interest in this video game series, just stay out of the thread please. Thank you.

He's long been saying that he would love to make MI3 but doesn't have the rights, and that there's no point in people giving him money to buy them until the right holders actually offer to sell them. So while it's always good to see him repeat it, it's not really news.

Here's Gilberts original blog post for the 25th anniversary.

Awesome, thanks for the link, that was a nice read.

I didn't know he was making a new adventure game with verbs; neat!

Awesome, thanks for the link, that was a nice read.

I didn't know he was making a new adventure game with verbs; neat!

You missed the Kickstarter? I'm sure I posted it in one of the threads.

I'd like it even more if it was done in the MI/Fate of Atlantis style, but even so I'm very excited about it. And some of the conceptual art they've posted goes way beyond what Maniac Mansion and Zac McKracken had to offer.

It's not a question of technology. This is beyond VGA - the resolution might be similar, but it has more colours than EGA could even display individually, let alone at the same time.

The main difference is the character design, and how the characters are drawn in pixel tools rather than being drawn and painted on paper and then scanned into the computer. Not that there can't be amazing pixel art, but I'm not a big fan of the straight legs and arms full frontal/side view style.

Still, a minor issue. I'm sure the game will be great, and it'll probably still look really cool thanks to the background art.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I think this thread can be a catch-all Adventure Game thread, no?

DOTT remastered coming out in 2 week:

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

I think this thread can be a catch-all Adventure Game thread

What exactly do you mean by "Adventure Game"? "Point-and-click game", or something larger than just that?

• 1 year later...

gog.com is having a huge sale on some classic LucasArts adventure games:

Full Throttle Remastered for $11.99

Day of the Tentacle Remastered for $4.99

Grim Fandango Remastered for $2.99 (!)

https://www.gog.com/

Or there's this bundle with DOTT, Grim Fandango, Broken Age, Brutal Legend, Psychonauts, and 4 other games I hadn't heard of for $23

https://www.gog.com/promo/20170314_special_sale_double_fine

I wish I still had the patience for these wonderful little point 'n clickers. I made a start on the Day of the Tentacle remaster quite recently actually, but I just didn't get into like I once would have done. 

I am afraid the same thing would happen to me if I tried to get back into them as well.

Actually, somewhat recently, maybe last year or the year before, I installed ScummVM on my phone and put Maniac Mansion on, and play it that way every night before falling asleep.  Beat it in a few days, a week maybe, it was a blast.  But haven't touched an adventure game since.  I want to but.... there's so much else to do in life these days.

This week that has been the only video game I've wanted to play besides Fire Emblem Heroes of course, yes.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The latest Humble Bundle features Day of the Tentacle Remastered, Full Throttle Remastered, and Grim Fandango Remastered, including the Grim Fandango Remastered Soundtrack download

https://www.humblebundle.com/day-of-the-devs-2017

• 7 months later...

The first one is all you need. Maybe the second, too. The style change made it lose all the charm.

1 hour ago, Wojism said:

Escape from Monkey Island is now at GOG. 

https://www.gog.com

Apparently they have the complete saga now? I'm not sure, I don't even know how many there are. 

The only games Ron Gilbert made are The Secret of Monkey Island (1990) and Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge (1991).

Then, Lucasfilm made Curse of Monkey Island (1997) and Escape From Monkey Island (2000) without him.

Then, Telltate games made "Tales of Monkey Island" a few years back, and also made ports of MI1 and MI2 using the same graphic style.

I really enjoyed Ron Gilbert's The Cave.  I thought it was much better than the mixed-leaning-positive reviews it got.  I played through it with every character!

I bought his newest game, Thimbleweed Park, on Switch but haven't gotten around to playing it yet. 

Haha, I also bough Thimbleweed Park for Switch, but haven't started it yet!

i gotta pick up The Cave and Broken Age at some point

The Cave was one of those eShop games that came out in that initial terrible drought on Wii U, when Nintendo had to do the hail mary January Direct to announce games that were years off, so I had a lot of gaming time to spend on it, haha.

• 3 months later...

I started playing THIMBLEWEED PARK last night.  It's fun!

One thing I wasn't expecting is the characters to reference the fact that they're in a game.  Like the dead body is described as being pixelated, and I ran into some bird sisters brothers and there was a dialogue path about saving your game and how you don't need to because of no death or dead end scenarios being possible, etc.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I started it, loved everything about it (lots of in jokes and a Twins Peaks feel), but never returned due only to having too many other games to play. Someday I'll return... 

Well, I've started playing Thimbleweed Park and I'm enjoying it immensely. I also found a really cool easter egg: going through the town's phonebook, you have a bunch of names listed that belong, I assume, to people that helped to crowdfund the game. I was happy to see our very own Marian Schedenig's name in there. Cool thing to see :)

image.png

• 1 year later...
On 10/3/2018 at 11:21 PM, Jay said:

I started playing THIMBLEWEED PARK last night.  It's fun!

One thing I wasn't expecting is the characters to reference the fact that they're in a game.  Like the dead body is described as being pixelated, and I ran into some bird sisters brothers and there was a dialogue path about saving your game and how you don't need to because of no death or dead end scenarios being possible, etc.

On 7/4/2019 at 5:00 AM, Jay said:

I started it, loved everything about it (lots of in jokes and a Twins Peaks feel), but never returned due only to having too many other games to play. Someday I'll return... 

Did you ever finish it? It would be a shame if you never got to see the ending.

On 7/5/2019 at 1:12 AM, Romão said:

Well, I've started playing Thimbleweed Park and I'm enjoying it immensely. I also found a really cool easter egg: going through the town's phonebook, you have a bunch of names listed that belong, I assume, to people that helped to crowdfund the game. I was happy to see our very own Marian Schedenig's name in there. Cool thing to see :)

Yes, it was part of one of the medium backer levels (I chose the backer level with the physical box). You can call the number, too - sadly, I spent too much time trying to come up with some witty voice message and ended up deciding that all my ideas were too stupid, so it's really just a plain regular voice message.

I just re-played it recently with the "Ransome Unbleeped" extension. Tried to get as many Steam achievements as possible this time. I even spent HOURS getting the highscores in all three arcade games, and that didn't even give me an achievement.

And: Terrible Toybox, Ron Gilbert's Company behind this game, is gearing up and hiring people for a new adventure game project. No further news yet as far as I'm aware, but several of the same people seem to be on board besides Gilbert. And the other good news for me is that Gilbert has recently switched from Apple to Linux as his development platform, which means that I can expect to be able to play the thing when it's released. Unlike Thimbleweed Park itself, its recent mini-sequel (done as an engine demo with assets from the original game) was released only for Windows and Apple systems.

The other point & click adventure I'm looking forward to is this:

I was sold when I saw the trailer with David Attenborough style narration.

(The board autoconverts the Kickstarter link to a video... here's the plain link).

If you paste any link into this board and it converts it into an embed, all you have to do is click the black bar that shows up at the bottom of the text editor box to turn it back into a link.  OR, instead of pasting the link into the text editor, just click he Link button(chain link icon) first, and paste it into there and then submit that.

Sadly, I never returned to Thimbleweed Park - too many other games to play - but plan to finally play through it this winter

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

If you paste any link into this board and it converts it into an embed, all you have to do is click the black bar that shows up at the bottom of the text editor box to turn it back into a link.  OR, instead of pasting the link into the text editor, just click he Link button(chain link icon) first, and paste it into there and then submit that.

I know. I just found it funny that it converts a Kickstarter project link to an embed of just the video of the project. I still kept the video link because an image is always helpful.

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

Sadly, I never returned to Thimbleweed Park - too many other games to play - but plan to finally play through it this winter

You really should, especially based on your earlier comments about it!

I very much enjoyed the start of the game!

The only adventure games I've played in recent years are Oxenfree (pretty good) and Life Is Strange (really good).  I'm going to play the Life Is Strange prequel at some point.

Then I gotta finally play Thimbleweed Park, Broken Age, and Cave Story.

Then I was thinking about replaying the entire run of LucasArts adventure games, from Maniac Mansion to Grim Fandango

• 1 month later...

The first game in what I consider to be the most endearing, enduring, enchanting of all video game universes was released 30 years ago.

Happy 30th anniversary to the absolutely legendary:

71dNSZeIsoL._AC_SL1000_.jpg