• 2 stars
    • 1.5 stars
    • 1 star
    • I'm not familiar with this movie.
    • 4 stars
  3. 3. Which score do YOU like more?

• Hook
    • Jurassic Park

I saw this movie as a kid and I loved it. I've found that most people of that generation look back on it fondly, while those of the earlier generation think it sucks, and today's generation have never heard of it.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3.5, 3, Jurassic Park. So feed me to the crocodile already...sorry, but this score just doesn't quite do it for me. I quite like some of the themes, but others annoy me.

3.5, 3, Jurassic Park. So feed me to the crocodile already...sorry, but this score just doesn't quite do it for me. I quite like some of the themes, but others annoy me.

There are certainly enough to fit either category.

It's hard to dislike 'Hook' for it's sheer ebullience, but the sugary childishness gets irritating rather fast. For every charged flying or battle sequence there is some goofy mickey-mousing or Disney-ified kitsch.

I saw this movie as a kid and I loved it. I've found that most people of that generation look back on it fondly, while those of the earlier generation think it sucks, and today's generation have never heard of it.

Today's generation never heard of it because the earlier generation controls what gets shown on the airwaves and what movies are shown most prominently in the movie stores.

Today's generation never heard of it because the earlier generation controls what gets shown on the airwaves and what movies are shown most prominently in the movie stores.

At least in Germany, 'Hook' most frequently embarrases itself in TV showings and DVD nice-price segments. It's more likely people forget it because it's just fluff. And we have enough current fluff.

I saw it once as a kid, but I was less than impressed...

I remember being excited about the trailer, though, and that was before watching the movie.

Well, what does "you are a fart factory" sound like once translated into German? :lol:

Furzfabrik...

And it will remain a mystery why people think they have to defend any piece of junk just because they like it. 'Hook' is revolting tripe. Just accept it and love it nonetheless. It will be a deeper, better love for it! :lol:

I remember being excited about the trailer, though, and that was before watching the movie.

We can all say that about A LOT of movies.

Yes.

But in the case of Spielberg, usually the movie is more exciting than the trailer....

Well, what does "you are a fart factory" sound like once translated into German? :lol:

Furzfabrik...

And it will remain a mystery why people think they have to defend any piece of junk just because they like it. 'Hook' is revolting tripe. Just accept it and love it nonetheless. It will be a deeper, better love for it! :lol:

Transformers is revolting tripe. Hook is a flawed but thoroughly entertaining and overall well-made film with a stellar score. :)

Well, what does "you are a fart factory" sound like once translated into German? :)

Furzfabrik...

Transformers is revolting tripe. Hook is a flawed but thoroughly entertaining and overall well-made film with a stellar score. :)

Who could wrestle with such a logic-proof argumentation? :lol:

Score: 4

Movie: 2

Hook over JP

Parts of the score are very good, but it is not a masterpiece or a 5 star score. The movie is a trainwreck.

Edit: I voted 3.5 because there is no "4"

Score: 4

Movie: 2

Hook over JP

Parts of the score are very good, but it is not a masterpiece or a 5 star score. The movie is a trainwreck.

Edit: I voted 3.5 because there is no "4"

I wonder if there can be a case (not necessarily a JW project) where a majority of people vote

Movie: 1

Score: 5

I mean, if the movie is THAT bad, how can the score be a masterpiece??? Anyway, I can think of no movie on which JW worked where that is the case.

I mean, if the movie is THAT bad, how can the score be a masterpiece??? Anyway, I can think of no movie on which JW worked where that is the case.

TPM probably comes close. Maybe THE LOST WORLD.

As your for your first question, ask Jerry Goldsmith. He toiled away on some incredible scores which happen to accompany movies that people think are absolute turds. For example, THE FINAL CONFLICT, which is considered by many to be his finest score. Or STAR TREK V. It's funny, because my wife often rolls her eyes at some of the things I listen to, because I can't stand the movie the music's from. But they're not inclusive, you can have a terrible movie that has a fantastic score.

Good examples, but A.I. probably comes the closest for me as far as hating the movie and loving the score. The score is amazing, though I don't think I would rate it a 5, probably a 4.5. And I can't stand the movie, absolutely hate it.

As your for your first question, ask Jerry Goldsmith. He toiled away on some incredible scores which happen to accompany movies that people think are absolute turds. For example, THE FINAL CONFLICT, which is considered by many to be his finest score. Or STAR TREK V. It's funny, because my wife often rolls her eyes at some of the things I listen to, because I can't stand the movie the music's from. But they're not inclusive, you can have a terrible movie that has a fantastic score.

Hmmmm, there are many cases where it's

Movie: 2 or 3

Score: 4 or 5...

And I can't think of a JG project where he scored such an abysmal movie... and where he wrote such a masterpiece of a score.

Anyway, TPM is not a 1!!!

For me, it would be

Movie: 4

Score: 5

Good examples, but A.I. probably comes the closest for me as far as hating the movie and loving the score. The score is amazing, though I don't think I would rate it a 5, probably a 4.5. And I can't stand the movie, absolutely hate it.

People either love or hate A.I. I for one love it. :) And the score is a masterpiece, anyway.

People either love or hate A.I.

False. I'm somewhere in between.

Just to make it extra clear for you, I should have said "usually." Sorry. :P

Ok then. HEARTBEEPS.

Hmmm, I've never seen the movie or heard the score...

But is the score such a masterpiece?? :)

But is the score such a masterpiece?? ;)

Two words: Smee's Plan. It's fun and all in the OST, but you must get the Williams on Williams recording to really get the full impact. Love the bassoon countermelody!

Score - 5. LOVE HOOK!!!

Film - 3. Can't remember the last time I actually watched it. Don't own it, but I'd probably watch it if I came across it flipping through channels. I did love Dustin Hoffman as Hook though.

Hook or JP - Currently, JP, though it varies.

But is the score such a masterpiece?? ;)

Two words: Smee's Plan. It's fun and all in the OST, but you must get the Williams on Williams recording to really get the full impact. Love the bassoon countermelody!

Score - 5. LOVE HOOK!!!

Film - 3. Can't remember the last time I actually watched it. Don't own it, but I'd probably watch it if I came across it flipping through channels. I did love Dustin Hoffman as Hook though.

Hook or JP - Currently, JP, though it varies.

I was actually asking that question about Heartbeeps but OK.

Yeah, HOOK is a masterpiece, I'm not denying it. Smee's Plan is great... actually I love the rendition of it in "Presenting the HOOK" the best. Some wonderful things JW does utilizing the fiddle violin (kinda like what he does at the beginning of Mischief Managed!).

Great stuff.

Score:-2,

movie:- minus 10,000,000.

I don't think those are options.

My rating of the score is "2", as in Score:-2, NOT minus 2.

;) Then why do you use the minus sign??

He didn't use the minus sign for the score. He wrote "Score:-2" and "movie:- minus 10,000,000." I see a "-" for both options, and for the movie, Richard took the time to write out the word "minus." That means the "-" is just another piece of punctuation like the colon he used.

It's unlikely that Richard would give the score a negative two and the film a double negative ten million, because two negatives make a positive. Nobody on earth can give that movie a +10,000,000 score. The ":-" is superfluous, yes, but sometimes you just gotta know what someone means.

He didn't use the minus sign for the score. He wrote "Score:-2" and "movie:- minus 10,000,000." I see a "-" for both options, and for the movie, Richard took the time to write out the word "minus." That means the "-" is just another piece of punctuation like the colon he used.

It's unlikely that Richard would give the score a negative two and the film a double negative ten million, because two negatives make a positive. Nobody on earth can give that movie a +10,000,000 score. The ":-" is superfluous, yes, but sometimes you just gotta know what someone means.

;) Thank you for that fine forensic analysis, Mr. Bodine!

Doubleplusungood.

Yeah, HOOK is a masterpiece, I'm not denying it. Smee's Plan is great... actually I love the rendition of it in "Presenting the HOOK" the best. Some wonderful things JW does utilizing the fiddle violin (kinda like what he does at the beginning of Mischief Managed!).

Great stuff.

Can you actually tell me which JW scores you don't think are masterpieces?

Great stuff.

The ones I did not give 5 stars.

What about you? Do you even have a JW score that you consider a masterpiece?

Great stuff.

The ones I did not give 5 stars.

What about you? Do you even have a JW score that you consider a masterpiece?

Of course I do. Why, am I suddenly not a JW fan? Are you veering into KM territory?

Of course I do. Why, am I suddenly not a JW fan? Are you veering into KM territory?

What territory is that?

Because you seem to hold people in contempt if they admire JW a bit too much... ;)

What territory is that?

Because you seem to hold people in contempt if they admire JW a bit too much... :blink:

Not really. But I find it hard keeping my mouth shut when people are ridiculously subjective to a point where words like 'masterpiece' tend to lose all meaning.

Wow, I just realized... overall, people here definitely prefer the Hook score.

Wow! Jurassic Park is simply being pulverized! I guess only TESB will be a worthy opponent for the likes of Hook. Why don't we find out with a poll, Josh?

Alex

What territory is that?

Because you seem to hold people in contempt if they admire JW a bit too much... :blink:

Not really. But I find it hard keeping my mouth shut when people are ridiculously subjective to a point where words like 'masterpiece' tend to lose all meaning.

Trust me, I don't use that word lightly.

But IMO JW did write many masterpieces. That's what makes him the best film composer, after all.

Wow, I just realized... overall, people here definitely prefer the Hook score.

Wow! Jurassic Park is simply being pulverized! I guess only TESB will be a worthy opponent for the likes of Hook. Why don't we find out with a poll, Josh?

Alex

I don't do polls (comparing two scores) where I definitely know the outcome. ESP will win, of course. :)