• 4 stars
  3. 3. Which score do YOU like more?

• Hook
    • Jurassic Park

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this question is a little out of place and probably won't be answered, but I recently read that there was a planned "Pirate Song" but was unused. Anybody know anything about this? Thanks in advance.

Sorry I can't rate, but I haven't seen the film or listened to the complete score to vote.

But early on there were plans on making Hook a musical, right? I think many of the themes were originally going to be songs. That could explain the pirate song.

That's really interesting. Thanks a lot for sharing :)

I wonder if Williams will recicle the unused pirate song for Tintin in an instrumental version... Something in the style of "A pirate I was meant to be" would be so fun!

Let's continue discussing HOOK here! :lol:

The "Prologue Theme" - for lack of a better name - is heard in "Prologue" at 0:06 and 1:04, "Hook-Napped" at 0:12, 0:37, and 2:19. I'm not sure what this theme is supposed to represent (if anything)

I have only watched the movie 2 or 3 times, but I am pretty sure this theme is supposed to represent the stormy or "rough sea." You just have to listen to it and a picture of the rough sea forms magically in your mind...

:)

It represents the conflict between Pan and Hook.

That's too easy an answer. The whole movie (and score) represents the conflict between Pan and Hook. So just because this melody was used in the trailer, which is, after all, nothing but a summation of the movie so to speak, doesn't necessarily mean it represents the conflict between Pan and Hook, too. Still, I'm not denying it. Merely pointing out that it's too easy an answer, like saying the "Theme from Jurassic Park" represents the theme park.

The up and down motif of the strings (violins in "Prologue" and bass and some woodwinds in "Hook-Napped") is clearly meant to evoke the image of the high rolling sea. If I am not mistaken, this theme as played in "Hook-Napped" is heard when some paintings of a pirate ship in the stormy sea are shown...

That's really interesting. Thanks a lot for sharing :lol:

I wonder if Williams will recicle the unused pirate song for Tintin in an instrumental version... Something in the style of "A pirate I was meant to be" would be so fun!

He probably doesn't even remember composing it.

That's too easy an answer. The whole movie (and score) represents the conflict between Pan and Hook. So just because this melody was used in the trailer, which is, after all, nothing but a summation of the movie so to speak, doesn't necessarily mean it represents the conflict between Pan and Hook, too. Still, I'm not denying it. Merely pointing out that it's too easy an answer, like saying the "Theme from Jurassic Park" represents the theme park.

The up and down motif of the strings (violins in "Prologue" and bass and some woodwinds in "Hook-Napped") is clearly meant to evoke the image of the high rolling sea. If I am not mistaken, this theme as played in "Hook-Napped" is heard when some paintings of a pirate ship in the stormy sea are shown...

You're thinking about it too much. Sometimes the easy answer is the correct one. Every time the theme is played there is some call to the Hook/Pan conflict, right up to the final statement in the score when their duel begins.

The trailer sounds like Williams got some rough input from Spielberg and deduced that a pure Korngoldian swashbuckling tune and a more questing theme was needed. The idea that a composer is sitting there, thinking 'i write something fancy for the stormy sea' for a kid's movie shot around the MGM tank seems just a bit too flowery

That's really interesting. Thanks a lot for sharing :)

He probably doesn't even remember composing it.

maybe that was what happened when he wrote 'gilderoy lockart's' theme or 'the city of gold' cue

You're thinking about it too much. Sometimes the easy answer is the correct one. Every time the theme is played there is some call to the Hook/Pan conflict, right up to the final statement in the score when their duel begins.

Maybe, but I'm positive the underlying string motif is supposed to represent the sea... I mean, you can actually see it while listening to that section.

I have to watch the movie again in order to see exactly in which scenes this theme is used, but if what you say is true, the Hook/Pan conflict is certainly not off the mark, either.

For some reason, I think the War of the Worlds ostinato in "Hidden Treasure and the City of Gold" (which I love, by the way) was intentional.

Nice non sequitur! :)