Tracklist for New Potter Film.

Ollie

I disagree. Had Williams chosen to manifest through his music the period and setting of the film -- Ireland during the Second World War -- it would have been perfectly "appropriate." But just as appropriate is his choice to ignore these details and train his music principally upon the essential human drama of the story -- indeed, the emotional journey of the characters. You seem to distinguish between "a film" and "a film's universe," but that is to me a distinction without a difference. Had Williams not given voice to the "melancholy, vague sense of hope/despair and poverty" that is of course central to Angela's Ashes, it would have been a flat failure as a film score -- not merely a failure to embed itself in the film's "universe."

I don't mean to make a distinction between the two. I just like that phrase "film's universe" because I like to think of a film's reality as a different reality from the one I live in with its own rules and whatnot. And Williams COULD have gone the route of musically representing the period, but he didn't need to - that's really all I'm saying. But you're totally right, scoring to the setting of the film is really never inappropriate.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really mind the simpler style. Bernard Herrmann was a genius, best composer of the 20th century along with Williams and Goldsmith, and yet his style was often times very simple. Herrmann had an unmatched creativity that allowed him to create complexity through simplicity.

I've been a Star Trek fan, I honestly couldn't give hoots ass about stylistic continuity.

So what's the problem with Hooper's HP?

His scores are just not engaging.

So what's the problem with Hooper's HP?

John Williams or death!

Also, OotP sounded like a very good TV score. Decent and enjoyable, but several scales smaller than the film it accompanies and never really flexing its muscles as a standalone listen.

I can't speak for HBP.

Also, OotP sounded like a very good TV score. Decent and enjoyable, but several scales smaller than the film it accompanies and never really flexing its muscles as a standalone listen.

I can't speak for HBP.

It's preety much the same.

Except even smaller...and Grüß Gott there is not an interesting/creative melody or atonal piece in there. He even manages to make Hedwig's Theme sound boring. The Quidditch Third Year theme is the only fun thing on there.

It's preety much the same.

They're not the same. Order Of The Phoenix is a decent score with good parts. Half-Blood Prince is just bad.

I disagree, but you - being an avid RCP listener - clearly have different definition of "bad music".

I listened to one HP after another and there was no significant difference in style and quality, except for that I find a few more enjoyable cues on the HBP than on OotP (not many, though). As I said before, In Noctem and Ron's Victory are better than anything that was on OotP. There is also a large number of OK cues (nothing great or exceptionally good, but at least on par with what was on OotP) - Story Begins, Ginny, Wizard Wheezes (!), Living Death, Harry and Hermione, School, Malfoy's Mission, Slug's Party, Farewell Aragog, When Ginny Kissed Harry and The Weasley Stomp.

I'll defend "Fireworks", "Professor Umbridge" and "Flight of the Order of the Phoenix" as better than anything heard in Half-Brain Prince.

These are really nice tracks, but there are comparable ones among those I mentioned above.

Not sure if it's been posted (chalk it up to me being too lazy to look through six measly pages) but if you purchase the album through the WB site . . .

http://www.wbshop.com/on/demandware.store/...p;adid=HPCATEml

. . . you'll receive a free download of the score in 5.1. Interesting. I rather enjoyed OotP (more than Goblet anyway) so I'll probably go for the purchase.

I'll defend "Fireworks", "Professor Umbridge" and "Flight of the Order of the Phoenix" as better than anything heard in Half-Brain Prince.

Fireworks, Professor Umbridge, The Sirius Deception, and The Death Of Sirius are my favorites.

Fireworks, Professor Umbridge, The Sirius Deception, and The Death Of Sirius are my favorites.

I particularly enjoy The Ministry of Magic (a cue tat actually features something like awe), The Room of Requirements, and the Kiss

Not sure if it's been posted (chalk it up to me being too lazy to look through six measly pages) but if you purchase the album through the WB site . . .

http://www.wbshop.com/on/demandware.store/...p;adid=HPCATEml

. . . you'll receive a free download of the score in 5.1. Interesting. I rather enjoyed OotP (more than Goblet anyway) so I'll probably go for the purchase.

You always get that download; I ordered it through buy.com, and it is featured (plus free ringtones dor the cell phone)

Oh, just discovered that the CD offers to download a bonus track... unfortunately (imo) a rock song; maybe sourc music? It's called Big Beat Repeat.

Other bonus features are the digital download of the score, a behind the scenes look at the scoring sessions, and the ringtones

I really like Room of Requirements, Death of Sirius, Fireworks and Flight of the OOtP. Some nice bits elsewhere, but those are the tracks I go back to a lot.

The same applies to HBP - a collection of highlights where I think Hooper actually had some ideas, surrounded by some reasonable but directionless material. Slughorn's Confession for example actually has a lot of emotion and feeling for me - was he taking something when he wrote this that he wasn't when he wrote pretty much any quieter bits in OOtP?

Oh, just discovered that the CD offers to download a bonus track... unfortunately (imo) a rock song; maybe sourc music? It's called Big Beat Repeat.

Other bonus features are the digital download of the score, a behind the scenes look at the scoring sessions, and the ringtones

Digital download - the thing you can get by ripping the CD? Are they totally unwilling to acknowledge that people actually do that?

And 5.1 is kind of cool, but not really with a score like this methinks.

You always get that download; I ordered it through buy.com, and it is featured (plus free ringtones dor the cell phone)

Do you know if this is for online purchases only, or could I pick this up in stores on Tuesday and still get the free download?

Do you know if this is for online purchases only, or could I pick this up in stores on Tuesday and still get the free download?

I don't really know, but since it lists the features as "enhanced CD" on the back cover, I guess it's the standard condition. I doubt they would print extra covers for online retailers only

The problem with The Score in 5.1™ in the context of HBP is that there's really only two things going on at most, unless you're listening to "Ginny" which is Hedwig's Theme per JW specs.

2 things only make stereo. ;)

The first four would have benefited a lot more from this 5.1 mix, Patrick Doyle's ultra dense recording of Goblet of Fire in particular would probably be completely revitalized it in the eyes of a lot of people who were dismissive of it. (I still maintain it is just at good as anything John Williams could have written for that abysmal film).

I don't really know, but since it lists the features as "enhanced CD" on the back cover, I guess it's the standard condition. I doubt they would print extra covers for online retailers only

Well I just got home from work and after looking at a physical copy we had in the back, I can confirm that every CD will have a free 5.1 download.

Thanks Paleo for bring that to my attention. You saved me some cash and the wait.

I got the CD last week and there is no 'enhanced CD' logo on the back like PoA. The disc has also been manufactured in Australia by Decca, so I wonder if that means something. Nothing on the back or in the CD booklet suggests there's any bonus content, which is a shame because I was interested in the 5.1 download.

I'd say HBP and OOtP are about neck and neck for me. Both have some nice highlights, areas of great boredom, and a lack of any real themes or cohesiveness.

But I consider it evidence that Hooper is a weak composer, not that Williams is automatically superior. There are so many other composers who would've written better than this in their sleep.

That would be AMAZING :folder:

If Hooper is a weak composer, doesn't that make Williams automatically superior?

Why couldn't it have been Murray Gold? There's a guy who can write some themes.

I completely agree. Murray Gold has blown me away with his Doctor Who music. Harry Potter would be right up his alley.

I got the CD last week and there is no 'enhanced CD' logo on the back like PoA. The disc has also been manufactured in Australia by Decca, so I wonder if that means something. Nothing on the back or in the CD booklet suggests there's any bonus content, which is a shame because I was interested in the 5.1 download.

Maybe it's a North American thing? Here "enhanced CD" is written on both CD and back cover, and there is an inlay with drections and phone numbers for the ring tones (these are of course meant for the American market, too)

Apparently when you prepurchase tickets for the movie you get a code for a free itunes download of "Friends and Love", which happens to not be on the OST. I didn't even realize it until I ordered the tickets! The track is very harp and string chords centered, not very interesting though. Still, it's over 4 minutes, so it's substantial.

Apparently when you prepurchase tickets for the movie you get a code for a free itunes download of "Friends and Love", which happens to not be on the OST. I didn't even realize it until I ordered the tickets! The track is very harp and string chords centered, not very interesting though. Still, it's over 4 minutes, so it's substantial.

How did you order them? Fandango online?

I got mine from movietickets.com, because the specific theater I was buying for only sells them on there. I'm not sure if the track is exclusive for midnight showings or what, but it exists!

I'm not sure if it's DRM free, because it has to be "authorized" to play on computers.

Wow, this almost sounds as bad as the time I went to see Pokemon: The First Movie just to get the exclusive Mewtwo card....

You're not the only one that did. ;)

And I'm pretty sure it was actually Ancient Mew, haha. I think Mewtwo came with the video.

I thought it was a Mew! Oh, those were the days...my parents very seldom took me to the movie theater (Not much has changed. I blame them on my general apathy for movies!), and I was pretty mad when they did not take me to see Pokemon: 2000, I really wanted those Legendary Bird cards....

Wow, I cannot believe I am saying this! I feel...old!

I thought it was a Mew! Oh, those were the days...my parents very seldom took me to the movie theater (Not much has changed. I blame them on my general apathy for movies!), and I was pretty mad when they did not take me to see Pokemon: 2000, I really wanted those Legendary Bird cards....

Wow, I cannot believe I am saying this! I feel...old!

And your make me feel older! :P

I downloaded that song from iTunes, and it turned out that the cue is apparently just "Harry and Hermione" and "When Ginny kissed Harry" merged together and slightly shortened. No reason to buy the ticket online just for this download :P

Christian's Filmtracks review of the new Potter score summarized by this:

"... If Hooper has done anything with absolute clarity, he has revealed Doyle's The Goblet of Fire as a more impressive score than it may have first seemed (due to the fact that his references to Williams' material were considered too few and far between) ... Even standing outside the immense shadow of the Williams and Doyle scores, Hooper's second Harry Potter recording is less engaging than his first. For film music collectors, it could define the word "disappointment."

Christian's Filmtracks review of the new Potter score summarized by this:

"... If Hooper has done anything with absolute clarity, he has revealed Doyle's The Goblet of Fire as a more impressive score than it may have first seemed (due to the fact that his references to Williams' material were considered too few and far between) ... Even standing outside the immense shadow of the Williams and Doyle scores, Hooper's second Harry Potter recording is less engaging than his first. For film music collectors, it could define the word "disappointment."

Clemmensen has always been positive on GoF. As an album experience he rated it 5/5.

I'm only halfway thru HBP, and I have very much the same sentiments as I did with OoTP. It has a number of pleasant but not particularly memorable moments and a lot of cues which don't go anywhere. Hooper also uses the 4 descending notes from Quidditch, Third Year but apparently has no idea how to resolve it. Nothing is as good as Room of Requirements (which is an excellent cue in a mediocre album) yet

Pretty much what I think. Some 'good' highlights, surrounded by inoffensive but just plain mediocre music that doesn't go anywhere.

Sometimes I can feel his fingers on the keyboard, thinking 'ummmmmmm...'.