Tracklist for New Potter Film.

Ollie

I'm actually not usually a fan of obscured or out-of-frame lettering in any context. The former happens all the time with magazines, and it bugs me. It's one thing to let a foreground element overlap just a little onto one of the letters, but when several letters are mostly covered up, it just looks ridiculous to me. It presupposes that any reader will know the title already, just based on the lettering style and/or the kinds of images on the cover. With something like Harry Potter, that very well may be the case for the vast majority of readers, but it still comes off as arrogant and unnecessary to my eye.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking this unconventional cover design may very well generate more discussion than the music itself, once it's released...

:)

The partially missing title is the least of this cover's worries. The people look ridiculous, especially Dumbledore.

"The Killing of Dumbledore"

It's good to see the makers of this album are taking extra care to prevent the track titles from having Spoilers.

I hope it sounds like the "Killing of Marcel".. or atleast that Dumby yells: "Run you fools!"

Meh, by this point, people have had several years to read the book and find out what happens, or to have it spoiled by someone else. If they still haven't read it at this point, they probably don't care about spoilers...especially if they're looking at the track listing before seeing the movie, which is always a gamble. And this is coming from someone who hates spoilers, mind you!

Dumbledore looks more like Gandalf than ever.

John- who thinks Steef's had too much of the SGC3_m.jpg

Steef drink too much? Nah.....

Meh, by this point, people have had several years to read the book and find out what happens, or to have it spoiled by someone else. If they still haven't read it at this point, they probably don't care about spoilers...especially if they're looking at the track listing before seeing the movie, which is always a gamble. And this is coming from someone who hates spoilers, mind you!

That's like saying by 1969, Bond movie fans should have known that Tracy carks it at the end of On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

Yeah, imagine Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone had been scored by Nicholas Hooper and the soundtrack cover had looked something like this. No one would even be watching the movies today...

That's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard you say. Or type.

John Williams may be heavily responsible for the success of many of his movies, but it's Harry Freaking Potter. It could have a score by Steve Jablonsky and it would still be watched by a ridiculous amount of people.

but the discussion here would have been light.

Koray would have gone on and on about how great the Steve Jablonsky score for HP was and the rest of us would be like, who the f*** cares.

That's like saying by 1969, Bond movie fans should have known that Tracy carks it at the end of On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

Can't really pretend to be able to assess the validity of the comparison...but if that's true, then yes, they should have! :|

At least Jablonsky would have served the film rather than all these stupid leitmotifs and lush symphonic sounds distracting me from the on-screen experience!

We get it. Enough!

Bwahaha, the truth hurts.

"The Killing of Dumbledore"

It's good to see the makers of this album are taking extra care to prevent the track titles from having Spoilers.

Well I prefer my soundtrack track titles clear and simple. If there are spoilers then there are spoilers. I find it pretty futile to make up an artsy or ambiguous track title for a piece that reveals a major plot point. Do not search for album info and don't buy the soundtrack before seeing the film if you can't handle it is my philosophy. Naming a track Dumbledore's Ambiguously Mysterious But Potentially Fatal Fate...Or Is It? or something as shady and shadowy is just silly.

Well we could have had the Herrmann style cue: The Murder.

Or perhaps a Giacchino cue: Ding Dong The Wizard's Dead.

Or the mysterious: Something Very Bad Happens To Dumbledore

Yes those JW classic "something something Scene" track titles are great. Give away practically nothing and always point to the right scene :P

Why does Dumbledore look like a dementor in that cover?

I guess next HP art and movie will be black and white.

• 3 weeks later...

My god, im sure this has been mentioned in other topic, but I just saw one of the latest Trailers.

I cant beliebe what i heard at the end. Hedwig's theme in Full Remote control glory.

That's raping childhoods.

Thank god the score will not be like that. right?

I cant beliebe what i heard at the end. Hedwig's theme in Full Remote control glory.

What does that mean, Luke? Haven't heard it yet... and probably won't watch the movie, either.

After all, why bother?

Can't see myself watching it in a hurry. It was the least interesting book for me - just a huge setup for the much better final book.

And I'm starting to prefer Hooper's OttP score over Doyle's. I don't think either should win awards for orchestration or themes, but there's something just more down to earth and 'Potter' about Hooper's.

I await HBP (score) with anticipation.

What does that mean, Luke? Haven't heard it yet... and probably won't watch the movie, either.

After all, why bother?

click

at 2:12

Its hedwig's theme transformed into a power anthem.

disgusting. Furthermore the whole trailer uses media venturish music.

It's trailer music. Every fucking trailer has that kind of music, why complain now?

well, franschise trailers tend to use franchise old music.

And bastardizing a williams composition is heresy! ;)

I agree the MV trailer music is awful. I'm completely tired of it. The sooner this movie comes out, the closer we get to Deathly Hallows and the remote possibility of JW returning to score.

Yeah, it's a terrible way to end the trailer, but from the samples and Hooper's previous work on OotP, I think we can expect a non-MV score.

According to the article Drax posted, " The cinematography...[is] amazing, and the film has a truly rich look to it reminiscent of the best of the old-school Hollywood epics."

According to the article Drax posted, " The cinematography...[is] amazing, and the film has a truly rich look to it reminiscent of the best of the old-school Hollywood epics."

Must be in black and white.

Yes, say what you will about Hooper, he's a proper composer and not an MV clone.

He's no MV clone, that's for sure, but that really doesn't say much about his ability to entertain me as a listener. :P