What Is The Last Film You Watched?

... and a very good score!

Yes, those John Barry strings give it something classy and melancholic at the same time. I also noticed that the film isn't overscored. A lot of scenes don't have music at all.

Alex

But whenever there is music, it captures the scene perfectly (for example when Corrine is hunted by the dogs - Barry's dramatic writing at its best).

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lion in Winter: The new version with Glenn Close and Patrick Stewart which is in my mind just as good as the old one. Wonderful perfomances and a stellar script that has so many elements in it, that this film reveals still new nuances with each viewing. The dialogue is sharp, not a wasted word, the actors' perfomances superb and the constant subtle inner turmoil and intrigue mesmerizing. It is such fantastically orchestrated story arc, it is pure joy to watch it reach the finale which leaves a palpable sense of catharsis. Somehow everything begins on the surface and the film peels off layers and layers of different meanings and appearances and in the end there is only the king and queen and their relationship, pure and simple, without anything else, no trappings of power, no intrigue, no contest of wills. Just the main protagonists alone. If only more scripts of this caliber were written these days as it shows astounding understanding of human nature from so many facets of our being, living and loving.

North By Northwest: First time I saw this film and enjoyed it immensely. A classic of its kind, this is a somewhat light hearted but intriguing suspence film. Cary Grant as the first baffled then determined lead is just brilliant and the witty dialogue just enhances the image as he engages in clever banter with Eva Marie Saint. They don't make films like this anymore. Hitchcock's trademark visual style time and again warms my heart and especially the scene just before the crop duster chase with that static and quiet atmosphere is simply ingenious. The sense of danger and threat comes exactly from those ingredients. For a Hitchcock film this had for me a surprisingly light and humorous edge which I enjoyed as a change of tone from all the other films of his I have seen.

I haven't seen the new version...but I can't imagine a situation in which Patrick Stewart and Glenn Close come anywhere near O'Toole and Hepburn. I like Stewart, but he's no O'Toole. I don't like Close, and she is most certainly no Hepburn.

Saw UP, and Doubt this weekend two very interesting films

I have no idea how UP could have cost 175 millions dollars to make. I cannot believe it cost that much. Its just a cartoon, a great movie, but its a cartoon, where does that kind of cash go.

I have no idea how UP could have cost 175 millions dollars to make. I cannot believe it cost that much. Its just a cartoon, a great movie, but its a cartoon, where does that kind of cash go.

CGI is expensive. An insane amount of man-hours and a buttload of very expensive hardware and software goes into making "just a [CG] cartoon."

... and a very good score!

Yes, those John Barry strings give it something classy and melancholic at the same time. I also noticed that the film isn't overscored. A lot of scenes don't have music at all.

Alex

But whenever there is music, it captures the scene perfectly (for example when Corrine is hunted by the dogs - Barry's dramatic writing at its best).

Proof that this film isn't just kiddie bubblegum fare!

Saw UP, and Doubt this weekend two very interesting films

Doubt, the one with Streep and P.S Hoffman?

I watched that recently too, I thought it was awesome. Acting powerhouse the likes of which you seldom see.

The ending is completely open to interpretation.

Up also has a 3D version. I'm no genius, but I'm guessing it takes a lot more work to create a movie into 2D and 3D instead of just 2D.

Actually not really, provided the movie is 3D animation, as opposed to 2D. It just takes twice as long to render since you're rendering once for each eye.

QuestionMarkMan is correct - CGI is already 3D, as far as the computer is concerned. It's just a matter of rendering two slightly different animations of the same scenes. That doubles the rendering time, but the human workload is barely any different. The filmmakers just have to be careful not to "cheat" in ways that'd look fine in 2D showings but obviously flat in 3D showings.

Still, it takes twice as much resources, meaning that rendering it in 2D *and* 3D triples the resource load. That affects either time to market or hardware cost.

Wim Wenders' Wings of Desire (1988). An interesting mixture of banal and transcendant. Most of it is the latter- stunning, heartfelt and spiritual. Towards the end, however, it loses almost all of the momentoum it built up, and becomes an incredibly boring series of vague existentialism I couldn't connect with at all.

Song of the South.

I fail to see anything overtly racist. Historical and of it's time maybe, but racist? Hardly. If anything it's the opposite, showcasing a friendship between a black and white child, and having Uncle Remus as the "hero" of the story. Overall a very entertaining film.

Mission: Impossible (1996). Still like it. Still don't get exactly the deal with Ethan figuring out Phelps was a bad guy. Still think the score is great.

Transformers 2: I had no choice, the boy wanted to see it. The film wasn't as bas as I thought it would be. Mind you, I really was expecting the worst film ever made. It was only during the last 30 minutes that the movie sort of lost my attention. Michael Bay has no notion of how to direct action scenes.

Alex

I'm afraid he stinks at it. Bay's action scenes have no (visual) narrative, not to mention a complete lack of drama. That's why I fall asleep with each Michael Bay movie. I'll bet you thought the last thirty minutes were really yummy, hey Koray? Well, some really well told action scenes and that come to my mind right now are 'the war in the village' scene of Saving Private Ryan and the 'New Goblin vs. Spiderman' scene of Spider-Man 3.

Alex

Michael Bay's action scenes lack geography, coherence, substance, and like Alex says, narrative. They usually come across like music videos.

Looking back now, I think THE ROCK was just a fluke.

I am almost never dissatisfied with John Williams' album choices.

:P

They're not always amazing, and the later ones tend to miss out some relatively great bits, but I don't get the furore there usually is over them.

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist

Pretty good, but definitely not great. It wasn't as good as I was expecting it to be, which could just be more of a misplaced expectations thing than a quality of product thing. The stuff with the traveling gum was grossssssss! The lead actress was very attractive, I'd like to see more movies she's in

Public Enemies

Good. Not great, but good. Johnny Depp and Christian Bale were great, as were a bunch of other people. The setting was awesome, it was cool to see what life during the great depression was like. I liked the gun fights and car chases, though sometimes I was confused as to which characters where which ( I thought Dillinger was the one gunned down in the woods at first, for example).

Mission: Impossible (1996). Still like it. Still don't get exactly the deal with Ethan figuring out Phelps was a bad guy. Still think the score is great.

Hey, I watched that last night. Personally, I think it is one of Brian DePalma's best films. What did you not get about Ethan discovering that Phelps was the mole?

Probably.

No, it's bad.

Sean Connery and Ed Harris give it some class.

Hey, I watched that last night. Personally, I think it is one of Brian DePalma's best films. What did you not get about Ethan discovering that Phelps was the mole?

Phelps' reappearance is clunky. I mean- so what if the bible was from the Drake Hotel in Chicago? Ethan figures out that because he carried a bible from Chicago to Prague he MUST be Job? Also, the scene where Phelps is saying it was Kitteridge and Cruise is imagining it was Phelps is completely undercut by the fact that the expression on Voight's face is so inappropriately villainous.

Probably.

How so? It was just as bad as the rest...

I think it's the best movie he's made, the only decent one. Not great, but passable.

Probably.

How so? It was just as bad as the rest...

I think it's the best movie he's made, the only decent one. Not great, but passable.

Agreed.

Carlito's Way: In an interview on the DVD Brian De Palma says that he learned how to put story into a scene by watching the great directors. Then he says that so many of the new directors must have learned their trade by watching MTV or TV ads for they only show cut and paste work that doesn't make sense. Was he talking about Michael Bay?

Alex

But he knows how to put story into a scene. Watch the pool bar scene to know what I'm talking about. De Palma's weaknesses lie somewhere else.

Wow Koray, your case is getting stronger with every rebuttal.

Speaking of Michael Bay, I was just reading a Pauline Kael collection, which included her review of Top Gun. She ends the review with the best assessment of the Scott/Bruckheimer/Bay sensibility I've read: "Top Gun is a recruiting poster that is not concerned with recruiting but with being a poster". Same goes for all of Michael Bay's films and just about all of Tony Scott (though he is better at it, and is proud of creating his 'posters').

Just saw The Hurt Locker on DVD. I don't know how it's already out here on DVD (A legit Italian import), when it's just opening in theaters in the US now. Very good movie. Reminded me a lot of Generation Kill, but more focused. Jeremy Renner, so good in Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, has a great part here as the staff-sergant of a bomb-squad, and he makes the most of it. He's charismatic as hell here. Anthony Mackie is terriffic as one of his squad-mates, Brian Geraghty's good, too. Director Kathryn Bigelow places well known faces (Guy Pierce, David Morse, Evangeline Lilly, Ralph Fiennes) around in unexpected places, to interesting effect. I think it's probably the first Iraq movie that has a chance to make a dent with the public. It's relatablde, involving, and not forcefully political.

Say what you will about Brian DePalma's directorial shortcomings, I think he has a wonderful sense of music in his films. He probably got it from working with Bernard Herrmann in Sisters.

But he knows how to put story into a scene. Watch the pool bar scene to know what I'm talking about. De Palma's weaknesses lie somewhere else.

DePalma also knows how to do setpieces unlike almost any other director alive today.

Batman the original one with Keaton of course. It's always fun to watch that movie and still remains my absolute favorite Batman film. It's one I am going to buy on Blu-Ray. I never cared for the other Batman films except Batman: Begins and The Dark Knight which I really liked too.

DePalma also knows how to do setpieces unlike almost any other director alive today.

When De Palma is good, he's great. When he gets a flawless script (could happen more often, but it did at times - even Koepp managed one with Carlito), he's awesome. And if he fails, there usually still are at least a few parts to admire.

DePalma may have flaws and idiosyncracies, but he has more flair and character than most mainstream directors. Plus, anyone who uses split screen that well (see CARRIE) can never be bad in my book.