What Is The Last Film You Watched?

While I'm not sure "infantile" is the right word, is the issue with the films or the source material? TDK, for example, is based on books that are a bit challenging and mature than your average comic, and HULK does away with any recognition to the source material to create Lee's mature themes. A lot of the other comic book movies are terrible, but stuff like the first SPIDER-MAN and X-MEN 2, this is bright and bold four-colour theatre in the flesh, and while they both have some educational and aspirational value, their main job is to entertain you, like the comics. Is this a bad thing?

They all want to entertain. The question is, what entertains you?

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I'm not sure "infantile" is the right word, is the issue with the films or the source material? TDK, for example, is based on books that are a bit challenging and mature than your average comic, and HULK does away with any recognition to the source material to create Lee's mature themes. A lot of the other comic book movies are terrible, but stuff like the first SPIDER-MAN and X-MEN 2, this is bright and bold four-colour theatre in the flesh, and while they both have some educational and aspirational value, their main job is to entertain you, like the comics. Is this a bad thing?

They all want to entertain. The question is, what entertains you?

Different things entertain me. I love both HULK and SPIDER-MAN, but they're completely different movies. Intellectually, HULK is far superior, and I think misunderstood, but but SPIDER-MAN captures the all-out childhood fun of comic books in a way I can't help but admire.

HP And The Half-Blood Prince: I was in no way entertained but I liked the scene in the diner. Some sets were beautifully designed and the lack of close-ups was fascinating though. Overall, the whole movie was pretty steerless.

Terminator Salvation: Not a good movie, not by a long shot, but it still managed to mildly entertain me (probably because of the mystery of the new terminator model)

Alex

HP And The Half-Blood Prince: I was in no way entertained but I liked the scene in the diner. Some sets were beautifully designed and the lack of close-ups was fascinating though. Overall, the whole movie was pretty steerless.

I thought it was the first Potter movie since Azkaban that stayed on focus throughout. It just was paced slowly. Or rather, it took the time it needed, instead of hurrying the important bits like the previous two films.

I seriously tried to get into the Harry Potter movies...I just couldn't. I couldn't click with them like most people do. Maybe it's because I haven't read the books, I dunno. I'm not much of a book reader, either for a regular book or an audio version of a book.

I thought it was the first Potter movie since Azkaban that stayed on focus throughout. It just was paced slowly. Or rather, it took the time it needed, instead of hurrying the important bits like the previous two films.

It took its time more than any other Potter movie. That certainly wasn't the problem. But I felt the movie didn't really know where it was going or where to focus on. Most of the time it was wandering off in the same way Draco Malfoy was lost throughout this movie. I don't know, maybe it's because I just can't connect with the Potter universe, like Trent.

Alex

The problem with the Half Blood Prince is that, just like the book, there really isn't anything in it that was 'important' to the overall arc of the saga, apart from the last minute introduction of the Horcruxes and some teen romance to set things up for the finale. Its something that could be done in 45mins, or a book as short as the first. HBP movie is a mediocre adaptation of a poor book. OoTP meandered just as much, but whoever adapted it for the screen did a fantastic job of distilling it into a fast paced thriller, then Yates mishandled the action climax.

I'm interested to hear the you thought the film was lost like Draco Malfoy, Alex. For me, those images of Deraco actually lent the film some focus. He's the only person whose ultimate goal is actually momentous- our protagonist is looking to procure a memory from a professor of his, hardly thrilling stuff. I liked how those pans reminded us that there was more at stake than whether Harry could convince or trick Slughorn (beautifully played by Broadbent, I thought). Thinking back on the film, the main things I remember are those shots of Malfoy and some of the beautifully conceived visual effects.

When I say Draco was lost, I meant that literally. Draco was lost because the dark sorcery had chosen him for a very difficult and important task. Draco came across as lost when he was constantly meandering the hallways of the school complex. Draco was lost when the time was come to complete his important assignment. Before we got to the end of the movie, Draco's motives were very unclear. The movie itself felt sorta like the same to me.

V For Vendetta: One of the most tedious movies I've ever seen. I hated it even more than when I first saw it.

Alex

I'm interested to hear the you thought the film was lost like Draco Malfoy, Alex. For me, those images of Deraco actually lent the film some focus. He's the only person whose ultimate goal is actually momentous- our protagonist is looking to procure a memory from a professor of his, hardly thrilling stuff. I liked how those pans reminded us that there was more at stake than whether Harry could convince or trick Slughorn (beautifully played by Broadbent, I thought). Thinking back on the film, the main things I remember are those shots of Malfoy and some of the beautifully conceived visual effects.

Tom Felton did a good job with the role - much more impressive than his previous outings - but those scenes were completely killed for me by the score. Pure pretension.

I think the reason I've never cared about the Potter movies is purely down to the fact that they're squarely aimed at kids. That wouldn't normally be a problem, except in Potter's case the movies have all been completely average, souless affairs, hastily packaged for the Christmas rush. Kids don't have a problem with that, of course, but I just think the movie adaptations aren't put together with much skill. They feel to me like contrived tie-ins, rather than being their own beast.

When Rowling was still writing the series, I always had the impression that the films producers were waiting for her to finish the latest book, so that they would know what to do with the props they had already built.

the fact that they're squarely aimed at kids

Hohoho, more like aimed queerly at kids. Likewise with the Twilight series.

I was just in the subway yesterday and saw two girls holding hands and snuggling, and they were all of about thirteen. Then they went outside for a smoke!...

Damn, thirteen year-old smoking lesbians, it made even me question society for a second.

I think the reason I've never cared about the Potter movies is purely down to the fact that they're squarely aimed at kids.

Well, the first two are, after that the films grew up a bit and HBP, as a kids movie is even more boring.

It's like they actively tried to kill the series with the third film, even though it could have been pretty darn good. I still enjoyed it, for McKellen and Powell.

McKellen was good. I liked Kelsey Grammer and wanted to see more of him.

But the characters were too many, the plot too thin and the big action scene at the end too dumb.

Grammar was very good, Ellen Page too. Everything seemed like it was just going through the motions, and the spectacle just didn't have any spectacle. Powell's score is very good, though.

X-Men 3 was as bad as Terminator 3. "Meh" is already bad enough, Steef. One shouldn't be allowed to say "meh" after an X-Men or Terminator movie. BTW, I'm only watching them "non-Alex movies because of the kid. He's still too young for Watchmen. ;) Don't worry, with the next film, I will be true to myself:

dawn_of_the_dead_r.jpg

McKellen was good. I liked Kelsey Grammer and wanted to see more of him.

But the characters were too many, the plot too thin and the big action scene at the end too dumb.

It's mainly the direction that was bland.

Alex

I know you said you weren't into zombie movies, but have you seen the original DAWN, Alex?

I might have seen it a very long time ago but I actually I don't remember.

I know you said you weren't into zombie movies, but have you seen the original DAWN, Alex?

I might have seen it a very long time ago but I actually I don't remember.

Then it might be an interesting experiment to see a fresh mind watch both versions and see how they compare. Although they're very different films, with the title and location the only real thing connecting them. Apart from the zombies.

X-Men 3 was as bad as Terminator 3. "Meh" is already bad enough, Steef. One shouldn't be allowed to say "meh" after an X-Men or Terminator movie

True, but I was not really bothered or offended by either. They excist, but they don't bother me.

It's mainly the direction that was bland.

Alex

Yeah, can you believe it! By the guy who directed the Rush Hour movies!!!

If Alex enjoys Dawn of the Dead I'll eat my hat!

Lee - who can't stand Terminator 3, but quite enjoyed X-Men 3, even if he didn't know what the heck was going on, having not seen X-Men 2 :eek2:

Back to The Wire. Finally got to the second half of season 3. Magnificent. Really felt like 'one for the fans', almost indecently compelling and entertaining (after the very good but far more alienating season 2). Already 3 episodes into season 4...so far, so very good. Yet again, I'm forced to throw superlatives around in regards to a tv show, but I just can't help it. I honestly can't believe something this good was made, and that it be so rich and so entertaining. I don't know how I'll pick up some of the other shows I've been told I should watch...it seems like it's all downhill from here.

I'd probably talk about consistantly compelling execution of a high-concept. That film is one of the few that manages to make a gimmick work throughout, and transcends the gimmick.

I'd probably talk about consistantly compelling execution of a high-concept. That film is one of the few that manages to make a gimmick work throughout, and transcends the gimmick.

I've got plenty of stuff I want to talk about. I just finished watching the film in chronological order, and it really adds a new perspective to everything. It's nice to see all the black and white sequences as one whole sequence, and a lot of smaller details resonate more. Overall though, it's much less entertaining and emotionally moving, cause the scoring is all over the place, and so are the character's actual emotions.

Back to The Wire. Finally got to the second half of season 3. Magnificent. Really felt like 'one for the fans', almost indecently compelling and entertaining (after the very good but far more alienating season 2). Already 3 episodes into season 4...so far, so very good. Yet again, I'm forced to throw superlatives around in regards to a tv show, but I just can't help it. I honestly can't believe something this good was made, and that it be so rich and so entertaining. I don't know how I'll pick up some of the other shows I've been told I should watch...it seems like it's all downhill from here.

Thank God we still have Mad Men, Morlock! But I agree, Season 4 of The Wire is not from this world.

I really did enjoy the first hour or so (the part where man is his own enemy). Somewhere during the second part, the film sadly lost its momentum and most of its tension. 28 Days Later is still king!

X-Men Origins: Wolverine: That was pretty bad but perhaps still better than X-Men 3.

Really? I found it to be the other way around.

There are both bad. All they do is show how good the first two installments are. X-Men 3 is worse for being the first to lower the standard. These are movies made with the Marvel suits in total control and look at the result!

Alex

Thank God we still have Mad Men, Morlock! But I agree, Season 4 of The Wire is not from this world.

I have yet to see Mad Men. But, yes, everything is pretty lame compared to The Wire. I miss it greatly. The last two seasons were my favourite 23+ hours of television ever.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine: That was pretty bad but perhaps still better than X-Men 3.

There are both bad. All they do is show how good the first two installments are. X-Men 3 is worse for being the first to lower the standard. These are movies made with the Marvel suits in total control and look at the result!

Alex

Actually only the second one was really strong. The first is somewhat... undercooked. Probably due to its small budget. At least it gets the characters right. Wolverine movie was absolutely dreadful though. X-Men 3 doesn't do as much harm, I think.

Karol

I thought so at first, but then I watched them again, and again, and I've found out that the first X-Men movie is actually the only one that I enjoy rewatching. There is something about it, a certain grungy quality ... I can't really put my finger on it. Perhaps it's because it's a little more atmosphere driven than the second one. Also, some things in the second movie are a little too over the top, even for X-men. It wants to impress too much.

Alex

I really did enjoy the first hour or so (the part where man is his own enemy). Somewhere during the second part, the film sadly lost its momentum and most of its tension. 28 Days Later is still king!

Alex

For all its flaws, I found X-Men 3 to be quite enjoyable. Wolverine was plain bad.

I thought so at first, but then I watched them again, and again, and I've found out that the first X-Men movie is actually the only one that I enjoy rewatching. There is something about it, a certain grungy quality ... I can't really put my finger on it. Perhaps it's because it's a little more atmosphere driven than the second one. Also, some things in the second movie are a little too over the top, even for X-men. It wants to impress too much.

Alex

Strange that you should say that. X-Men comics are probably the most overblown things out there. But I can see where you're coming from. The first film keeps the essence of the comics, but plays with it on such a small scale that the premise feels credible and real. It's almost like a theatre play: the sets are minimal and the conflict between Xavier and Magneto really shines through. If anything, this film works because of these two characters. This is lost in the latter movies.

What I like about X2 is how it manages to juggle so many characters and doesn't feel forced at the same time. The other thing is the film has the same number effects as something like The Two Towers, but used in such a way you don't really notice most of them.

Karol

Is he still rated at all? I thought that Supes kinda sent him to the dog-house. (I liked Valkyrie, but it didn't light anyones world on fire)

Is he still rated at all? I thought that Supes kinda sent him to the dog-house. (I liked Valkyrie, but it didn't light anyones world on fire)

That was his first major slip-up, and he doesn't seem to have rebounded from it. But I don't think it has hurt him as bad as you implied; he's still working at the same rate.

Speaking of Superman, the franchise is completely up in the air right now. Thoughts?

I think the idea of Superman - and whether a Superman would be a saviour to mankind or a hindrance - would be greatly relevant, if someone who really understood it could have a go (I like Singer, I just don't think he got Superman). And be reverential, but not too reverential. Don't feel the need to change the canon just to give it a fresh start.

Perhaps controversially considering his recent output, but maybe Spielberg?

Alex, you should watch more zombie movies. Start with NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD and go from there.

I don't think it's a big loss to filmdom.

Checked out Dry Summer, a 1964 Turkish movie, over at The Auteurs. It's their free film for this month. Looked interesting, and I had the time. Terrific film! It felt like a Sam Fuller western.

I think the problem with the Superman franchise, on the big screen, is that you have this awesome extraterrestrial with super powers, raised as a human, sent to Earth as a direct allegory of Jesus Christ...to stop Lex Luthor from acquiring a lot of cheap real estate. It just seems awfully unbalanced.

Perhaps controversially considering his recent output, but maybe Spielberg?

I could see that. I think he would be able to balance the kitsch with the human emotion similar to Donner. On the other hand that was one of the fatal flaws of Superman Returns, it was basically a rehash of Donner's original.

But I honestly have no clue who would be the best for the job in this day and age. I know, like you, that it is still relevant and there is enough potential there, you just have to find the right guy to do it. The Christopher Nolan of the Superman franchise.