What Is The Last Film You Watched?

Let's break this down. What made the Nolan Batman movies so successful?

Was it the fact that Batman is a dark, complicated character, who combines cool toys, great detective work, and playboy charisma with streaks of insanity and parkour-like stunts?

That he and his villains are not too distantly removed from what we at home could consider "the real world?"

That Nolan approached the comic book world as if it were serious adult drama, which gave the films a grittier tone without one drop of camp?

What tactics could we apply to Superman? Only the first film seemed to take the subject matter seriously. II started to, but added a lot of campy humor. III and IV...um...and then there was SR, which was so like the first film, yet so different...it wasn't great or terrible, it was just kind of there, which makes it...blah...

I think that for Superman to be taken seriously, he needs to exhibit flaws beyond weakness to kryptonite. He needs to fight someone other than Lex Luthor. Let's face it, Superman is an alien. Fight an alien! It needs to be anything but same old, same old again.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of Superman, the franchise is completely up in the air right now. Thoughts?

I thought it was a good idea to homage/sequel the Donner film(s), and I enjoy it more than most here, but it was definately a flawed execution. Any future Superman would have to be a completely new start.

There are elements of it that I do enjoy. I don't hate Routh in the role, in fact if given strong material I think he could do well in it. I also like the look of Metropolis, it's grounded yet fictitious, not NYC like in Donner's. And there are many more flaws in it than just the rehashing, I think it was a big mistake to have Kent and Lois have a half-Kyptonian son together.

I think that for Superman to be taken seriously, he needs to exhibit flaws beyond weakness to kryptonite. He needs to fight someone other than Lex Luthor. Let's face it, Superman is an alien. Fight an alien! It needs to be anything but same old, same old again.

I say bring in Braniac so we can have Superman actually, you know, fight stuff.

I don't hate Routh in the role, in fact if given strong material I think he could do well in it... I think it was a big mistake to have Kent and Lois have a half-Kyptonian son together.

Yes and yes. Spacey's Luthor is also a joy, as close to Hackman's greatness as you could get.

I don't hate Routh in the role, in fact if given strong material I think he could do well in it... I think it was a big mistake to have Kent and Lois have a half-Kyptonian son together.

Yes and yes. Spacey's Luthor is also a joy, as close to Hackman's greatness as you could get.

lex-luthor-wrong.jpg

lex-luthor-wrong.jpg

Indeed! Spacey was acting uninspired. He had no great material to work with. He's one of the reasons why I hated Supes Returns.

BAD LIEUTENANT Is So Awesomely Bad That It's Simply Iguana-Lovingly Cracked Out!

(WARNING: Some language is a bit adult. Moderators, edit if necessary.)

Wow. Oh my god. Oh my god. Did I just see that? What was that? Can I go back and see that again? What? What?! WHAT?! Really?! Honestly?!

The above reactions aren't in regards to a car accident or a horrible roadkill. They are reactions to something far greater than either one of those things will ever be. It's a movie, lovingly called Bad Lieutenant: Port Of Call New Orleans. Only it isn't even really a movie. It's a cracked out experience, not one I have enjoyed so much since Grindhouse. And that is really saying something, because Grindhouse IS like crack to me. So what is this movie in comparison, then? It's Nicholas Cage, that's what!

In this film (hell, let's called it BL), Cage IS crack. I don't know what he did to get into this role, but never on screen have I seen a well-known actor act so... batshit insane! I mean, really? Seriously?

I don't even want to give anything way. It's so god damn fun. And I have to say profanity with that, because that's what kind of fun it is. You sit there, watching this strange drama play out before you, when suddenly, there's Cage, acting crazy, and crazy things happen. Cutting off air supply from old lady. Putting gun to old lady's head. Going on a rant basically saying he despises old ladies. Dead alligators. Imaginary iguanas. Breakdancing. It's all there! But in what context could this all possibly work?! Does it even work?

BL is batshit loopey, no question. And it's done in a way so intentionally unintentionally hilarious (which is quite an achievement) that most film-goers will NOT get the movie at all. They'll see it as a bland and oddly-acted failure of a film. But really guys, it's not. It's the best comedy of the year. It's the most surprising thing of the year. And Cage is actually having fun in this movie. You can tell. But it's the kind of fun that is actually quite engaging, and there even are a couple of tender moments where even though he is batshit insane, it works. And it is GOOD acting.

You can't even heckle a movie like this by making jokes yourself, you can only laugh at it. You just sit there, waiting for the next crazy thing to happen. And it always comes eventually. It's all sprinkled everywhere, like the best cupcake from the best birthday party you have ever been to. If you appreciate films like this, and love to go to the movies for an experience, not just for a movie, this IS the movie for you. It as by far the best movie experience I have had all year (which I shared it with my lovely friend/coworker Merrill, and a nice can of Mike's Hard Lemonade). It's perfect. And the ending was a bit of a surprise. It's not a shocker kind of ending, but it's so wonderful that it made this cupcake taste sweet to the last bite.

Michael Bay may have raped Megan Fox with the camera in both Transformers films, but director Werner Herzog totally rapes and murders iguanas with his in this film! Seriously! You have never looked at an iguana as lovingly as you will see in this film. Pure magic. And that's what movies are all about. From magical wands to iguanas, it's all about magic, baby!

when suddenly, there's Cage, acting crazy, and crazy things happen. about magic, baby!

Yeah. You would probably love Sonny too. Awesome film.

Drag Me To Hell: Well, well, I seems I got another movie for my Top 20 Worst Movies Ever! This movie is even worse than the Scary Movie series. Too bad because I think Alison Lohman is quite a looker.

Alex

She is a looker in Matchstick Men. Wow.

I don't remember her in that film but I guess that's a good reason for buying the DVD.

Edit:

Wait! She plays Cage's daughter in Matchstick Men? Hmm, I think she's more attractive today.

matchstickmen-cage-lohman.jpg

Yes well in MM, she plays his daughter, as younger than her actual age.

There's a scene in the carpet store at the end where she is wearing a miniskirt and tight top, you can see how sexy she is.

Daisy chaining three posts together...

---

lex-luthor-wrong.jpg

Hehe, he's "wronnngging" himself.

---

I think Nolan's Batman was so successful because he didn't treat it like a comic book.

That's what I said "serious adult drama...without one drop of camp." If you didn't know that Batman was a comic book character, you could believe you're not watching a comic book movie.

---

Drag Me To Hell: Well, well, I seems I got another movie for my Top 20 Worst Movies Ever! This movie is even worse than the Scary Movie series. Too bad because I think Alison Lohman is quite a looker.

I just watched that the other day. I'm not going to say it was bad, but it was unimpressive. I feel like it's not worth a second watch, ever. It's certainly not worthy of being considered an Evil Dead 4 just because it's another Raimi horror movie.

I was just waiting for the fat "I'm a PC" guy to step out of the shadows and bicker with the Macintosh guy. As far as I'm concerned, he's forever been typecast.

About the only thing they got right (other than the score, of course) was the ending. Once you realize that she did have this little mean streak in her, that she wasn't remorseful about being mean to they gypsy, in her arrogance of "beating death," it made the ending all the more fitting. In that case, "evil" is justice, and justice triumphs.

I was just waiting for the fat "I'm a PC" guy to step out of the shadows and bicker with the Macintosh guy. As far as I'm concerned, he's forever been typecast.

Justin Long? How is he typecast into horror films? This is his first one!

Edit: Or do you mean he has been typecast as the Mac guy? I don't think you can be typecast for that role, since there is only one Mac guy. He was a comedian long before it.

Daisy chaining three posts together...

---

lex-luthor-wrong.jpg

Hehe, he's "wronnngging" himself.

---

I think Nolan's Batman was so successful because he didn't treat it like a comic book.

That's what I said "serious adult drama...without one drop of camp." If you didn't know that Batman was a comic book character, you could believe you're not watching a comic book movie.

---

I just watched that the other day. I'm not going to say it was bad, but it was unimpressive. I feel like it's not worth a second watch, ever. It's certainly not worthy of being considered an Evil Dead 4 just because it's another Raimi horror movie.

About the only thing they got right (other than the score, of course) was the ending. Once you realize that she did have this little mean streak in her, that she wasn't remorseful about being mean to they gypsy, in her arrogance of "beating death," it made the ending all the more fitting. In that case, "evil" is justice, and justice triumphs.

But all she really did was to refuse a third loan extension, which wasn't even a wrong thing to do to begin with.

While the gypsy should have been grateful to have been offered two loan extensions without realistically expecting a third extension with no income, it was the framework in which the rejection occurred. The old woman was forced to get on her knees and beg, an embarrassing and revealing last resort the girl did not take seriously. Additionally, the girl admits that she probably could have offered her another extension without the bank suffering, but chose to do so to appear tough to her boss.

The girl made a legitimate business decision out of selfishness, and the old lady retaliated with an equally selfish gesture, a curse to hell to deprive an otherwise innocent and naive blond ditz of her soul (and life).

It's a morality play, though I don't think it intends to teach banks to let us default on our loans out of fear of spiritual retaliation. It creates two sympathetic plots: we can identify with the young girl putting somebody down in order to advance her career, and we can identify with the old lady who doesn't want to lose her home.

I can't symphatize with the old gipsy woman at all. You could see it coming from miles away that evil was going to rear its ugly head. It was like the devil itself sat at the table. And you knew Allison was going to decline a third loan extention, the film was so obvious about it (the boss' warnings, the competition with her colleague, et cetera). The only thing that I find worth discussing is the strange sex appeal of Allison Lohman.

Alex

I don't dig the boring flat chested blond girl.

We know from the prologue that the gypsies in this film are the ones in league with evil forces, so when she comes along with all of her horrid qualities, it's high time for evil to enter the story.

The girl's fate is way too similar to the prince's treatment of the old woman at the beginning of the Beauty and the Beast fairy tale, who asks for mercy, is shown none, and reveals herself to possess powerful magic.

Only in that case, we'd like to think that if we owned a large and spacious castle, we could spare her a bed because we could always fumigate in the morning. In this girl's case, we would do the same thing: job first, nice person second. Devil...devil...

Ninja Assassin: Contrary to most other movies of that type it takes itself totally seriously and there's no corny one liners or jokes to lighten the mood. In that respect it kinda works in maintaining some tension and credibility and you can see there was some effort in putting that film together even if it doesn't really succeed on all levels.

Twilight New Moon. I know,I know...but if you see it just because there's no other fantasy movie to see this week it's not that bad...and the score helps a lot. The last Harry Potter wasn't much better

I can't symphatize with the old gipsy woman at all. You could see it coming from miles away that evil was going to rear its ugly head. It was like the devil itself sat at the table. And you knew Allison was going to decline a third loan extention, the film was so obvious about it (the boss' warnings, the competition with her colleague, et cetera). The only thing that I find worth discussing is the strange sex appeal of Allison Lohman.

Alex

Indeed! It didn't seem like the story provided any opportunity for Lohman's character to redeem herself. It pretty much says that if you work at a bank and have an old gypsy client, you better give her that extension or you go to hell, to for all eternity. I would have settled for a fistfight with a reanimated gypsy corpse in the driving rain in the graveyard ending with Lohman stuffing the button down the gypsy's throat.

And I don't see whats so 'strange' about Lohman's sex appeal, she's hot.

Yes, it's all true.

Paris, je t'aime: The Coen Brothers and Alexander Payne make the best contributions. Overall, I had the feeling that I was watching a film program which shows preview clips from the latest movies. It's like most of them weren't even finished. A disappointing DVD purchase.

Paris__je_t_aime.jpg

Alex

A couple days ago I watched Away We Go on Blu. Great little film with some truly hilarious moments.

The Road

Another highly likely best picture nomination. Really superb direction and cinematography here. Viggo Mortensen was great, and carries the film. Cave and Ellis's score worked, but at times it didn't really click with me. Not nearly as good as their effort for Jesse James. My only complaint was that the sound was a little low and muffled, but that was probably the theater's problem.

Funny Games U.S.: Interesting horror film. That's right:

NORMAL PEOPLE JUST DIE.

Very good, Haneke.

The Accident: A film by Joseph Losey. The Servant it is not.

Alex

I was greatly disapointed by the second Losey film I saw, Mr. Klein.

I thought Paris Je Taime was a decent enough omnibus film...I liked the films by Payne and the Coen, and I know there were at least 5-6 more I liked. Really liked Cuaron's, I remember that.

(500) Days of Summer. Good. Enjoyed it. A bit cocky in its hipsterism, but still good. Terrific soundtrack.

Air Force One (1997). Felt like experiencing the score (one of my favorites) in action. I don't think I ever realized just how objectionable this movie's politics are. Oldman's still fantastic, as is the score, the sets are convincing. But the ace up its sleeve is what it did with the Xander Berkley character. Really smart move, its amazing how much it adds to the film.

Kurosawa's Throne of Blood (1957), based on Macbeth. It's not an overwhelming film, like Ran or Rashomon or Seven Samurai...but it is pretty darn great. It's got impressionistic touches (Best extensive use of mist I've seen in a movie), very powerful physicality (There are two death scenes here where the death has such a sickening, physical reality), amazingly conceived visuals. It manages to make a powerful and worthy Shakespeare adapation, while retaining none of the language- does it in visual terms that gives Kurosawa just as much of an authorship on the piece as Shakespeare does.

Rented the Criterion DVD of Chris Marker's most famous films, Sans Soleil (1981)and Le Jetee (1962). The latter is impressive, but didn't strike me as warranting its repuration...until the very last moments. Those moments really got to me, and were perfectly complemented by Sans Soleil afterwards. The very model of an essay film, one that goes on for 100 something minutes, jumps continents, ideas, images, with a running narration. I really liked it, I think mainly because of the spirit in which it was made. I zoned out every now and again, rolled my eyes at somethings, connected to some really bizzare elements- and I think that's exactly what Marker might have intended. It's a film that could feel heavy and pretencious, but taken as a genuinely inquisitive and generous piece of work, I think it can be rewarding. It touched on a few concepts that had been running around my head for a long time, including the nature of cinema (I loved his notions of contorted images that are better than the "real" ones, as the contortions anounce themselves as images- getting at the false notion of the objectivity of the camera). Good stuff.

Oh, and the booklet had some good features, including an interview with Marker, where he quite generously praised Terry Gilliam and his film, and expressed his love for the drama of Firefly, Deadwood and The Wire (which I finished the devastating fourth season of a few days ago).

Oh, I also saw the trailer for Avatar in the theater. Hadn't seen it until now. My god that is a terrible trailer. It is so utterly cheesy...it could easily be for a Roland Emmerich film. Yet another development in the hype machine that left me utterly baffled as to why I'm supposed to be looking forward to the film.

People should really check out www.theauteurs.com. You can get all kinds of good and intersting films online. Its not too expensive, good quality, with a bunch of hard-to-find stuff (they have a relationship with Criterion). Also, one of my favorite film podcasts, The Film Talk (www.thefilmtalk.com), is being sponsered by The Auteurs, and they're giving out a free movie to anyone and everyone- promo code thefilmtalk. I'd check out the podcast anyway, its fantastic, definitly spreading interesting and unique ideas about film.

I was greatly disapointed by the second Losey film I saw, Mr. Klein.

Losey disappointed me with The Criminal but I was sure The Accident was going to be another winner like The Servant because of Harold Pinter's involvement and also because it resprises Dirk Bogarde in the lead, but this has to be one of Pinter's tamest screenplays.

Oh, and the booklet had some good features, including an interview with Marker, where he quite generously praised Terry Gilliam and his film, and expressed his love for the drama of Firefly, Deadwood and The Wire (which I finished the devastating fourth season of a few days ago).

This Marker fellow seems to have good taste! I love all those series but The Wire 4 is quite extraordinary in scope and ambition. It's almost a miracle that this was ever shown on TV (even for pay TV).

The Road

Another highly likely best picture nomination. Really superb direction and cinematography here. Viggo Mortensen was great, and carries the film. Cave and Ellis's score worked, but at times it didn't really click with me. Not nearly as good as their effort for Jesse James. My only complaint was that the sound was a little low and muffled, but that was probably the theater's problem.

I read the book, and upon seeing the trailer I was disappointed that it seemed so action-oriented. Was that just to pull people in, or is the trailer an accurate representation of it?

Oh, I also saw the trailer for Avatar in the theater. Hadn't seen it until now. My god that is a terrible trailer. It is so utterly cheesy...it could easily be for a Roland Emmerich film. Yet another development in the hype machine that left me utterly baffled as to why I'm supposed to be looking forward to the film.

Agreed!

I'm more baffled at the fact that even though I too agree, I shall still go to see it. As will the two of you.

Don't deny it!

Depends on the reactions, if everyone says it's good, I probably won't go see it.

I'm more baffled at the fact that even though I too agree, I shall still go to see it. As will the two of you.

Don't deny it!

Oh, I'll be there. I'm actually happy about not being excited. It has GOT to be better than what I'm currently imagining, no?

The trailer could be just a 30 secobd clip of James Cameron fingerpainting the word Avatar on a wall using his own excrement, people will still go and see it.

However good it will do, finincially, it will be considered a dissapointment in comparison to Titanic. This is not a film with the broad about Titanic had, this seems like a movie for geeky boys, internet nerds and gamers.

... and sheep.

Actually, a lot of people are going to see it just to find out what 3D can do. And because of the hype, of course. It's 3D, it's extremely expensive, will Cameron repeat his Titanic success, will it be better than the disappointing trailers, et cetera.

But all these reasons belong to the sheep mentality. People wanna see it so they too can talk about it at school or at work.

Alex

Oh come on Alex.

It's Cameron. It's not Bay or Emmerich.

Even you must be slightly curious?

Cameron doesn't mean that much to me. I'm not a fan of Titanic or True Lies or The Abbys. I had fun with The Terminator and Aliens but that's a long time ago.

Monsters vs. Aliens. Wow, what a surprising movie! Not only is it hilariously funny but well written, paced and voiced. The Close Encounters gag had me in stitches, as was any of Colbert's lines as president. That's really just the beginning though, this is the first animated movie by Dreamworks (or any other studio really) that is on par with PIXAR in terms of writing. Even though it's not the most original idea and the animation isn't outstanding (though it is very good) I truly enjoyed myself watching this one. Highly recommended.

Taken. I'd heard good things about this movie but it was pretty average action/thriller film. Neeson just seemed to be collecting a paycheck. The action was all cliche with annoying cliche camera moves and cliche MV-sounding music. It was basically a gigantic cliche of a film. Not recommended.

The Road

I read the book, and upon seeing the trailer I was disappointed that it seemed so action-oriented. Was that just to pull people in, or is the trailer an accurate representation of it?

There was a lot of stuff in the trailer that wasn't used in the movie, and the director wasn't a fan of it either.

I thought it was really meh.

I definitely overpraised the film a bit initially; it certainly lacks the heart of a classic. But I see it as mainly a comedy film that succeeds in that aim, something fairly unusual in the animation medium these days. It was a pleasant surprise, and I laughed out loud frequently which is something I rarely do with any film from the last ten years.

Correct, the trailer is a gross misinterpretation of the film. Was it really necessary to add an explosion to draw people's attention? Not to mention the dramatic axe chop, when he was just cutting some wood.

The marketing as whole for the movie has been abysmal. The Weinsteins were either trying to sabotage it or had no clue what they were doing.