What Is The Last Film You Watched?

Black Hole is a guiltless pleasure. Shame they haven't released the score.

It's on the net somewhere.

:)

The info about the Itunes / non CD release.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I have the iTunes version someplace, but I can't remember. It may have vaporized in a hard drive crash. I may have to search for that. Seriously, it needs a complete release. I can visualize liner notes dotted with quotes of V.I.N.CENT's fortune cookie sayings. :)

Some people may read it the wrong way, much like my recent Potter thread.

Ah. It seems I got smug for no good reason. All I have is the LP version from iTunes.

I saw The Thing for the first time.

The Thing aka The Thing from Another World from the 50's,

or the gory

The Thing by John Carpenter that has a prequel in the works?

The Black HoleI can't believe I'm 28 years old and never saw it before this weekend. What a great movie!
Isn't it? I love the mood and atmosphere of the whole thing.

Scared the crap out of me as a kid.

Did you watch it on ABC Family? I still haven't seen it uncut on DVD, but I'm amazed that it seems like every channel I see it on has a different set of edits. TBS tends to be the most cut, Disney Channel showed it with the deleted scenes, and then ABC Family is somewhere in between, with less trims, but no deleted scenes. It's crazy.

Did you watch it on ABC Family? I still haven't seen it uncut on DVD, but I'm amazed that it seems like every channel I see it on has a different set of edits. TBS tends to be the most cut, Disney Channel showed it with the deleted scenes, and then ABC Family is somewhere in between, with less trims, but no deleted scenes. It's crazy.

Yup, I saw it on ABC Family. I'm not familiar enough with the film to have caught editing differences. That's interesting, though.

The Black HoleI can't believe I'm 28 years old and never saw it before this weekend. What a great movie!
Isn't it? I love the mood and atmosphere of the whole thing.

Scared the crap out of me as a kid.

The part where

Anthony Perkins gets sliced and diced

was pretty disturbing, yeah.

The Kids are All Right (2010). Badly written sitcom that tries to convince that lesbians are people too. Not a good movie.

Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives (2010). Wowza. Cannes really went out there this year- easily the strangest Palm D'Or winner in a while. It is very impressive, even though I could not really make heads or tails of it. It convinced me that its director knows what he's doing, even if it'll take me a while to catch. Very few artsy movies manage to convince me of that. I'll be checking out more of Apichatpong Weeresthakul's work.

Le Cercle Rouge (1970). So this is what cool looks like. For a slow-paced film with a passive pretty face at its center, it is one of the most cinematically thrilling films I've seen. Reminded me that knowing how to edit and how to use a camera makes cinema, not dialogue or performance. A good lesson to relearn every now and again. It's the kind of film that makes one feel embarassed to have enjoyed so many uncinematic trifles.

or the gory

Carpenter's.

And..?

And it's got one of the most awesome plots I've seen in its genre. I love it. My dad did too (he didn't know about the film at all).

Le Cercle Rouge (1970). So this is what cool looks like. For a slow-paced film with a passive pretty face at its center, it is one of the most cinematically thrilling films I've seen. Reminded me that knowing how to edit and how to use a camera makes cinema, not dialogue or performance. A good lesson to relearn every now and again. It's the kind of film that makes one feel embarassed to have enjoyed so many uncinematic trifles.

You can't beat Melville. For whatever reason, the scenes with Montand battling his alc addiction with the creepy insects always drove me up the wall.

It's kind of amazing, that is all the introduction he gets- but the sheer effectiveness with which those crawlers are used makes an indelible impression.

Gary Nelson's cameo in The Black Hole was more disturbing than the evisceration, since it was really done off screen, using pages as the metaphor for the blood to follow.

I could see the big reveal as being really nightmare-inducing, had I seen this movie as a small child. The hat reveal in Tremors and the ghosts in Raiders really kept me from watching those movies until I got older.

I caught The Goonies on TV. What a wonderful homage to childhood games.

Wait, you hadn't seen it?

Yup, I've seen it before. I was just surprised at how effective it still is.

or the gory

Carpenter's.

And..?

And it's got one of the most awesome plots I've seen in its genre. I love it. My dad did too (he didn't know about the film at all).

you should try the original it's a fine film too.

I saw Centurion at a film festival. A 2nd century war movie between Scotts and Romans. Pretty good and realistic battles

I think if anything they trimmed it, but that's just what I've heard. I did take a look at the Firebird segement after we played the 1919 suite for a university orchestra concert, and I was extremely disappointed at how utterly hacked up the thing was.

I actually wasn't familiar with The Firebird in any form until Fantasia 2000, so that hacked up version didn't bother me one bit in the beginning. Now that I've listened to the complete ballet so many times (and the full 1919 suite once or twice), I definitely notice. But at least it's an excellent recording.

No, if you want to hear the suite be totally butchered, go see the new World of Color show at California Adventure, across from Disneyland. It's an absolutely breathtaking show, but it has a short segment based on that Fantasia 2000 segment, and for some reason, the music team took the gorgeous melody from the finale and distorted it almost beyond recognition. I have no problem with rearranging "classical" music, mind you...but they just didn't do a good job. Everyone calls it the boring part of the show. :(

Anchorman - The Legend Of Ron Burgundy

Some funny parts, but over all a misfire for me. I watched the "unrated" cut for the first time, and I must say the theatrical cut was way better. Most of the stuff they added is not that funny or goes on too long. The entire "vision of ron and veronica's future" sequence is REALLY flat and super boring with no score under it - really needed a score to make that scene work.

Has anyone watched "Wake Up, Ron Burgundy"? We might watch it next but most reviews online are not very positive.

I actually wasn't familiar with The Firebird in any form until Fantasia 2000, so that hacked up version didn't bother me one bit in the beginning. Now that I've listened to the complete ballet so many times (and the full 1919 suite once or twice), I definitely notice. But at least it's an excellent recording.

No, if you want to hear the suite be totally butchered, go see the new World of Color show at California Adventure, across from Disneyland. It's an absolutely breathtaking show, but it has a short segment based on that Fantasia 2000 segment, and for some reason, the music team took the gorgeous melody from the finale and distorted it almost beyond recognition. I have no problem with rearranging "classical" music, mind you...but they just didn't do a good job. Everyone calls it the boring part of the show. :D

I've been listening to the finale of "The Firebird" for the last 30 years...at Yes concerts. :P

Seven: Saw it for the first time on my 50" Plasma screen. The first thing I noticed was that the DVD transfer is very good. This led me to appreciate the attractive photography. It reminded me of Blade Runner. The lighting, the constant rain, the dilapidated sets, the retro style of the costumes, ... it's as if Seven does not take place in the present.

It's not really an actors movie. Pitt is still learning the trade and Freeman ... well, Freeman is Freeman. The characters are mostly there to help forward the story. There isn't much depth in the story either. The main theme says everyone can be a killer but I think everybody would be a killer if they were standing in Pitt's shoes. I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger, and no, it wouldn't place me on the same level of Kevin Spacey. It wouldn't make me a monster.

What is Seven? It's a well made thriller with good atmospherics and some very stylish photography. You want to know the story. You want to know what is going on. Who's the killer and what's the deal with the seven sins? The fact that the serial killer turns himself in after 'only' five murders is unusual and disturbing. This is a very clever move from whoever wrote the story. It's not a big question.

The story does however have one forced scene: Pitt's wife has a private chat with Freeman so she can relieve her feelings. The wife of a police man secretly drinks coffee with her husband's new partner to talk about her personal life. Sure, that exactly what women do! Of course, it's clear the scene is written to give the audience vital information ... information that is needed for the climax of the film.

Alex

The score was suitable, I guess. I heard nothing out of the ordinary. A good thriller score should be unnoticed. Mission accomplished, I'd say.

The score was suitable, I guess. I heard nothing out of the ordinary. A good thriller score should be unnoticed. Mission accomplished, I'd say.

I used to think that, until I paid closer attention. The climax, scored with pretty much nothing but sparse ostinato, is frighteningly effective. I believe it played a considerable part in making the box scene so memorable.

I used to think that, until I paid closer attention. The climax, scored with pretty much nothing but sparse ostinato, is frighteningly effective. I believe it played a considerable part in making the box scene so memorable.

I didn't notice music on that scene until I watched the alternate ending storyboards. It's a slow pulse of brass staccatos. There's a moment where the music is apparent and that's when one of the library guards switches on his ghetto blaster to listen to Bach's Air.

Seven: Saw it for the first time on my 50" Plasma screen. The first thing I noticed was that the DVD transfer is very good. This led me to appreciate the attractive photography. It reminded me of Blade Runner. The lighting, the constant rain, the dilapidated sets, the retro style of the costumes, ... it's as if Seven does not take place in the present.

It's not really an actors movie. Pitt is still learning the trade and Freeman ... well, Freeman is Freeman. The characters are mostly there to help forward the story. There isn't much depth in the story either. The main theme says everyone can be a killer but I think everybody would be a killer if they were standing in Pitt's shoes. I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger, and no, it wouldn't place me on the same level of Kevin Spacey. It wouldn't make me a monster.

What is Seven? It's a well made thriller with good atmospherics and some very stylish photography. You want to know the story. You want to know what is going on. Who's the killer and what's the deal with the seven sins? The fact that the serial killer turns himself in after 'only' five murders is unusual and disturbing. This is a very clever move from whoever wrote the story. It's not a big question.

The story does however have one forced scene: Pitt's wife has a private chat with Freeman so she can relieve her feelings. The wife of a police man secretly drinks coffee with her husband's new partner to talk about her personal life. Sure, that exactly what women do! Of course, it's clear the scene is written to give the audience vital information ... information that is needed for the climax of the film.

Alex

Fincher's one hit wonder.

Misery: The movie doesn't score high on sight and sound but Rob Reiner sure makes the main two characters shine. Hitchcock would not disapprove of it. Yes, Bates has the most showy and colorful part but Caan's performance is equally as good. Frank Darabont is probably jealous of this King adaption. If he was the director, he would've casted Morgan Freeman for the role of the sheriff (Richard Fansworth). :music:

This was the first score for Marc Shaiman (a pop musician?)

misery.jpg

Air Force One - came on Sky and I just found myself watching it in the background.

Still remains one of my top favourite popcorn action movies, with a fantastic Goldsmith score which is in dire need of a full release.

Came seriously close to having to review Sex And The City 2 here tonight!

i hope you threaten to slit your throat of you got dragged into this

or did you have to see "Charlie St.Cloud" instead?

Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker

A good introduction to the world of Beyond, and with some great twists and one of the most genuinely harrowing sequences I've seen. Great voice work, too.

Superman/Batman: Public Enemies

Fun fun fun. More great voice work, and lots of unabashed superhero japery. Batman and Superman always make a great team. This would make an awesome live-action movie.

Star Trek (2009)

Watched it with a bunch of friends, some of which who hadn't seen it before. Technically my 3rd time seeing the whole movie, but I've seen it in bits and pieces a million times while working on the score analysis.

Anyway, I never noticed before that Kirk grabs Uhura's boobs in the bar at the beginning. LOL!

Toy Story 3.

The only version our theatre is now showing is the 3D one. Beautifully animated and a wonder to look at but I think Pixar needs to put this one to bed and move on to new ideas. Just didn't grab me the way the first 2 did. Although

Spanish Buzz

was hilarious.

I'd planned to see Toy Story but we arrived to find a massive queue (meaning we'd miss all the 3D ads), so decided to go for The A-Team instead.

It took me about an hour to start regretting that decision. It had some funny moments and some cool action sequences, but it started to fizzle out for me really quickly. The attempts at romance and character development bored the pants off me really, and by the end, I lost track completely of just who was the real villain and generally stopped caring.

I wanted to like this, since we'd heard good things and the trailer was awesome, but I couldn't. Not a good movie. I'd say it was saved from being a bad film by 3 or 4 damn cool action sequences.

Picture was also out of focus, and just bad at times. I don't plan on finding out if the blu-ray looks better.