What Is The Last Film You Watched?

It's certainly more Batman than Burton's previous effort. I think all of those movies are on par with each other, really. But honestly, the best thing to come out of those movies was the first one spawning the animated series, which is still the best TV and Film representation of Batman.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been collecting Batman movies on BD, and I'm contemplating getting the fourth film because it's so cheap. Since I haven't seen it for more than ten years, I wonder if the me of today will be kinder to the movie than my memory is?

I've been collecting Batman movies on BD, and I'm contemplating getting the fourth film because it's so cheap. Since I haven't seen it for more than ten years, I wonder if the me of today will be kinder to the movie than my memory is?

The box set is dirt cheap so I will probably end up getting that and taking a look at B&R. It has the best score of the four, but I really want to hear Schumacher's commentary.

Batman and Robin, on the other hand, is always as bad or worse than I remembered every time I watch. It is so bad it is actually entertaining. But the score is a stunner

Jacob...I take it back. ;) It only seems unrealistic, even though it's apparently plausible.

Well, to be fair, I think they actually called it Busted as shown in the movie -- inflating in the air, after being pushed from a damaged aircraft.

But yeah, the point was that at least the raft stunt is grounded in reality. Surviving a nuclear blast in a refrigerator? Not so much. :lol:

Batman Forever.

Looking back on it now, it's not quite as bad as I remembered it. I think the following film might have coloured my memory of it somewhat. A bit of a disappointment for me at the time that Burton didn't continue after the second film, but I've made my peace with it. I've always loved the 1960's Batman, so what's not to like about this?

One line I can't wrap my head around is Bruce telling Alfred that he's never been in love before. Dude, did Vicki and Selina not count? Or is this another bizarre disconnect from the first two films? You tell me, wah!

I think it was Schumacher's attempt to "re-boot" with his vision of Batman.

Jacob...I take it back. ;) It only seems unrealistic, even though it's apparently plausible.

Well, to be fair, I think they actually called it Busted as shown in the movie -- inflating in the air, after being pushed from a damaged aircraft.

But yeah, the point was that at least the raft stunt is grounded in reality. Surviving a nuclear blast in a refrigerator? Not so much. ;)

If you're gonna pull the refrigerator stunt, and for obvious laughs, it might have worked out better if Indy got in the fridge with a more resigned look on his face as to his fate.

Then show the blast and everything being destroyed, don't show the fridge flying thru the air and landing. Let the dust settle, show the fridge standing upright and the door opens. Let Indy step out with this incredulous look on his face and the mushroom cloud behind him. that way the audience is left chuckling to themselves and wondering how.

As silly as the scene is I think that might have worked a little better. Sometimes when you don't show everything you can get a more desired response from the audience.

Batman Forever.

Looking back on it now, it's not quite as bad as I remembered it. I think the following film might have coloured my memory of it somewhat. A bit of a disappointment for me at the time that Burton didn't continue after the second film, but I've made my peace with it. I've always loved the 1960's Batman, so what's not to like about this?

One line I can't wrap my head around is Bruce telling Alfred that he's never been in love before. Dude, did Vicki and Selina not count? Or is this another bizarre disconnect from the first two films? You tell me, wah!

I think it was Schumacher's attempt to "re-boot" with his vision of Batman.

But there's all this other stuff that's directly linked with the previous two. For example, Chase's coy Catwoman reference, along with Michael Gough and Pat Hingle reprising their roles, and probably a few other things that I'm forgetting. That line just bugs me.

But yeah, the point was that at least the raft stunt is grounded in reality. Surviving a nuclear blast in a refrigerator? Not so much. ;)

If you're gonna pull the refrigerator stunt, and for obvious laughs, it might have worked out better if Indy got in the fridge with a more resigned look on his face as to his fate.

Then show the blast and everything being destroyed, don't show the fridge flying thru the air and landing. Let the dust settle, show the fridge standing upright and the door opens. Let Indy step out with this incredulous look on his face and the mushroom cloud behind him. that way the audience is left chuckling to themselves and wondering how.

As silly as the scene is I think that might have worked a little better. Sometimes when you don't show everything you can get a more desired response from the audience.

What I don't like is that we see Indy in an entire neighborhood full of houses to blow up. Fine. All the houses look similar and realistic, they all have cars and laundry and picket fences and fake families in the yard, there isn't anything special about them. I'm ok with this. Indy picks the closest house and it's a pretty normal house inside, with its fake family watching the TV. He hears the countdown, and at the last moment he stuffs himself into the refrigerator. I'm still with you; he'll cook but I'm with you.

We want to ASSUME that every house has a near-identical interior layout -- namely, that each house has the same refrigerator. But for some odd reason, when that bomb goes off, the only refrigerator to be launched through the air like a catapult is the one containing a 150 pound old man.

Why? I don't care that he's thrown, and bounced, and not cooked, and spilled open to show that he survives. I'm upset that his refrigerator is the only one to be tossed, while all other refrigerators, perhaps containing 30 pounds of food, stay put and are incinerated.

This reeks of magical selection driven by the plot, which is contrived convenience. Either show a ton of junk being tossed by the blast -- which would not happen based on the trajectory of the shockwave -- or don't show anything being tossed, as Mark suggested.

I felt there were some other elements that were already established in the first film, yet Schumacher revisited them.

Revisited? Add revised to the list. Harvey Dent starts out the franchise as a black male who inexplicably becomes an older white man as if portrayed by Jack Nicholson.

Yeah, that might of gone over better (put the fridge in a basement, even). I don't really have a problem with it anyway.

It was all fun and entertaining up until the third act when it really needed to get serious.

If only the jungle chase had been played as straight as the comparable sequences in Raiders or Crusade and the finale just had that one big, tense moment like the leap of faith, that would have been enough for me.

Well you can also add the real physical effects argument to some of the stunts in TOD & Raiders.

It may a model or dummy, but it's a live, physical object.

Continuity-wise it's kind of similar to the Bond movies. There are a few elements and characters that are the same but different to each other in terms of tone and overall focus. Burton's was better though.

I thought you were talking about Indiana Jones, until you mentioned Burton.

You could have been though, and it still would have made sense.

I thought you were talking about Indiana Jones, until you mentioned Burton.

You could have been though, and it still would have made sense.

Except KOTCS was made by the same people. Well more or less, since the two Beards are not quite the same guys they were in the 80's... 'specially Lucas.

Well you can also add the real physical effects argument to some of the stunts in TOD & Raiders.

It may a model or dummy, but it's a live, physical object.

It may be just me, but an obvious model/dummy effect is no better than an obvious CGI effect as far as maintaining tension or immersion goes.

The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was a parody.

You're absolutely correct. It's like a Mad TV skit much of the time. That whole nuke sequence was so wildly ridiculous it just HAD to be for laughs. Seeing Indiana Jones running through a quaint 1950s neighborhood in bright uncharacteristic photography yelling "HELLO?! CAN I USE YOUR PHONE?!" Seriously, laugh out loud. Think of how many times you were left incredulous by the satire. It sends up all the sort of trademarks and stereotypes associated with the character, films of the time period and the culture. Too bad.

It really isn't that bad, in fact I think it's one of the movies that has best captured the childhood enthusiasm of being a super hero. It's not a particularly good Batman movie, but it might be the best movie made in the Marvel spirit, so to speak. Some of it is extremely silly and over the top, but I do love the sequences in which this movie dares to take itself seriously. And it truly has tremendouns cinematography, it's a comic book brought to life. And the score is the best music ever composed for the character although, again, might not be the best "Batman music" in terms of tone.

There really is a lot to like in Batman Forever. I still remember all the great action sequences. Batman hanging off the back of the helicopter and jumping down into the ballroom and the somersault. Still looks amazing to this day. And what the hell has Batman done in terms of fighting guys one-on-one in the newer movies half as cool as that?

I just picked up the Anniversary CE3K collection on Blu. Been ages since I'd seen it I'm embarrassed to say, but just got done with the Theatrical Cut and enjoyed it quite a bit.

I'm curious, which of the 3 cuts on the release is the preferred one for everyone here?

I want to say director's cut, but I'm not sure. I did watch all three versions but I've forgotten exactly what was exclusive to or excluded from each of them aside from the mother ship interior. I think I found the CE most agreeable, but I also found nothing exceptionally wrong with the theatrical.

V - The Original Miniseries

Is it OK to say that I unabashedly love "V"? Sure, some of it is goofy, melodramatic, over the top, and dated, but I just love it. It's not exactly subtle in its nods to McCarthyism and the Nazis, but it's still effective. The makeup, special effects and production value are absolutely astounding for 1983 television. Plus, it's got Marc Singer. :mellow:

One of these days I have to pick up Joe Harnell's score.

I just picked up the Anniversary CE3K collection on Blu. Been ages since I'd seen it I'm embarrassed to say, but just got done with the Theatrical Cut and enjoyed it quite a bit.

I'm curious, which of the 3 cuts on the release is the preferred one for everyone here?

Any version which doesn't show the mothership's interior.

The first cut on the DVD set is as close to the original theatrical version as we're going to get and that's my choice.

Day of The Jackal (1973). Not sure what compelled me to pick this one up again, but I'll be damned if I once again wasn't wowed by the film, one of the absolute best pure thrillers ever. And I'm still not sure why Georges Delerue is credited here.

The tide of 'interesting but unsuccessful' reactions to the film got me interested, but not being a Richard Kelly fan, I doubt I'll ever see it.

It's one of those movies where I just can't believe how bad it is. I actually thought I'd fallen asleep and dreamed all the horror up but I Googled it before work this morning and I did indeed watch the film...

Mission: Impossible the first movie has been showing again and again on the movie channels. It seems every other night I fall asleep watching it. I've seen Emilio's death scene way too many times. I was never much of a fan of this movie. I had the VHS and watched the beginning all the time because it featured the trailer for Star Trek: First Contact. But I would lose interest in the movie. I still kinda do, but now I can sort of follow the storyline and appreciate more things about it. It's pretty stylish. The look of the movie is very nice. The Prague scenes are how I've always envisioned that city being since first seeing the movie. So, completely awesome with dark blue misty alleyways and giant curvy stairways. But I still haven't managed to make it through the movie on TV. I keep falling asleep.

Kick-Ass

Yeah, I'm late to the party, but I'll weigh in anyway. I had heard of the controversy with Hit Girl before seeing it. I'd known there was a foul mouthed pre-adolescent involved in some shocking violence. On paper, that was enough for me to be a little put off. I wasn't sure I'd be into the cheap shocks. But the movie really won me over. The thing is, it was so much dang FUN! The movie had a heart and spirit that provided a scaffolding to support Kick-Ass, Hit Girl and Big Daddy and really make you root for the good guys. As far as straight superhero movies go, it's one of the best in terms of its ability to just have fun with it all. Great, great movie.

I think I must be the only person not to even raise an eyebrow at Hit Girl's language and behaviour, I wasn't in the slightest bit offended by her at all. Is it a Stateside reaction? Did it upset the touchy conservative mentality over there? Because here in the UK nobody cared less. It's only a movie, know what I mean?

Sure, but are there no boundaries for you UK folks? What if we saw Hit Girl being raped by her father and that she enjoyed it? Still no eyebrow gets raised in England?

I'm not sure I would've really cared much had I not heard a lot about it beforehand. It's a bit disturbing when you think of this child actress being fed dialogue like that though. In the context of the film, it's brilliant though. From my own personal perspective, I work in education with students exactly that age, so I understand the controversy and in my own home, have a daughter who I am raising to avoid potty-talk. I used to curse like a sailor, but I'm proud to say I have never once slipped in front of my own kid. But anyway yeah, it's only a movie.

What if we saw Hit Girl being raped by her father and that she enjoyed it? Still no eyebrow gets raised in England?

That's just a stupid extrapolation. Don't bring sub contexes into that film that aren't there. They made her swear to outrage conservative bible belt people and the "protect the children" crowd. Other than that she's one of the most awesome screen characters I've seen in along time.

Anyways she's supposed to be a Han Solo type character according to the film makers. She'll kill her enemies (mafia goons and drug dealers) but it's always clear she's on the good guy's side. Her first scene is a bit unsettling (it's supposed to be), but most people grow to find her adorable by the end of the movie.

A lot of our beloved movie heroes kill off bad guys (including Indiana Jones and Han Solo) and that's never bothered anyone ,so it's a bit hypocritical to suddenly draw a line because she's a little girl.

I think she's far from a particularly great movie character, but I did find the character and her, uh, antics quite funny. The whole movie was parody, it just mixed in "serious" life and death drama stuff to mixed effect. It's not a film that condemns murder as I see it, but as KM pointed out, we've been thrilling to adventures of murdering "heroes" (aka anti-hero types) forever. When they suddenly have a little girl in one of those roles (albeit with some particularly gruesome violence), everyone gets up in arms. I think in this situation, people should calm the hell down. It's an R rated movie. If anything, Hit Girl saved that movie from mediocrity.

A lot of our beloved movie heroes kill off bad guys (including Indiana Jones and Han Solo) and that's never bothered anyone ,so it's a bit hypocritical to suddenly draw a line because she's a little girl.

Why is this hypocritical? Isn't there a line between an adult who is responsible for his own actions and a child who's been turned into a killing machine by her own father? Socially, we accept that an adult joins the police force so that he or she can catch criminals. This is considered normal. Batman, Spider-Man, Iron Man, et cetera, they all are some form of police. On the other hand, I don't think we accept that a father would send his 11-year-old daughter to the police force to hunt down rapists and murderers. That would be considered highly immoral and irresposible. So again? Why is it hypocritical when someone has a problem with Hit Girl?

Sure, but are there no boundaries for you UK folks? What if we saw Hit Girl being raped by her father and that she enjoyed it? Still no eyebrow gets raised in England?

What a thoroughly ridiculous thing to say.

I'm talking about the morality threshold of England. I want to know if there's a limit. Is everything okay just as long it's a movie?

We tend to let our well measured commonsense be the guideline. In the case of Kick-Ass, adult content is given an 18 certificate. What criteria does a film have to meet in order to be given an 18 certificate? Well, commonsense should tell you.

I tend to trust the ruling of the British Board of Film Classification establishment, so yeah, in the case of Kick-Ass (and other movies passed by the BBFC), it is only a movie.

she's one of the most awesome screen characters I've seen in along time.

Me too, she blew me away. She freakin' owned the movie; that's no mean feat.