What Is The Last Film You Watched?

Well, Marian didn't find a region free Blu-ray player either.

Say, is my love for cinema being questioned here?

Alex

Not in the slightest, I just thought for certain you'd have one, and I find it kind of weird to come across people that haven't. I started buying non-UK DVDs in 2000, with my main issue stemming from the BBFC and the cuts it makes, with my first purchase being THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE. And because the window between US and UK releases was still really big back then.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished Star Trek again, too, Charlie. Really a gorgeous film - I think it actually looks more realistic and more visually comprehensible on DVD than on the big screen. Of course, its visuals are far from the only thing going for it, but all that's been discussed plenty and I have nothing new to bring to the table.

On the not-so-bright side, SmartRipper is having some trouble with the gag reel...not sure what the problem there is, but I really hope I can fix it. Apparently, the gag reel is in 5.1 surround - unusual for a special feature - which means getting the music out of it will be even easier. If I can rip the darn thing in the first place, that is.

Actually, nothing wants to rip from the first disc. I'm scared.

I just finished Star Trek again, too, Charlie. Really a gorgeous film - I think it actually looks more realistic and more visually comprehensible on DVD than on the big screen. Of course, its visuals are far from the only thing going for it, but all that's been discussed plenty and I have nothing new to bring to the table.

It certainly is visually stunning. My only request is they tone down the lens flare for the sequel, it's even more obvious on Blu. Or provide eye protection!

Y'know, I STILL can't get myself to be bothered by the lens flares, even when I'm paying meticulous attention to them. And I'm the kind of guy who will go on a rampage when he sees a standard Photoshop lens flare just being dropped into images on a whim, mind you. It's not like I just generally don't care either way about lens flares. There's just something about the way J.J. did it that...just works for me. I can understand why it annoys some folks, but I just can't get myself to feel it.

And apparently the gag reel is not the only special feature in 5.1...and it's not the only one with unreleased music! I need to figure out how to get this to work! :(

EDIT: Never mind. RipIt4Me and DVD Encrypter came to my rescue. Boy, this is gonna be good. :)

And I'm still uncomfortable with the Spock-Uhura relationship, however watching it again it totally seems like she's into it, but he's not.

That's because he's a Vulcan, you know, they suppress emotions. :)

He's still half-human, which is presented in the film as an issue growing up. It's possible that watching the annihilation of his race and death of his mother...touched a nerve.

Maybe the screenwriters of Star Trek 11 sought "revenge" of sorts against William Shatner's womanizing Captain Kirk by giving the woman to Spock this time around, and making Kirk the guy who can't catch a break.

Besides, Uhura is hot as hell. The relationship is...logical.

The film only shows him getting to second base or so. And it implies that the green Rachel Nichols is temporary, and he really wants the off-limits Uhura. Though the deleted scene with green #2 Diora Baird is where he comes across as not so suave.

It just seemed a bit weird and inappropriate. Like he's mourning his home and race and she comes in and starts slobbering on him. It came across to me that it was written with someone who has no idea how sexuality and relationships work outside of Hollywood's reality bubble.

What? You've never turned to sex in a moment of grief? ;)

Not in the turbolift of a Constitution-class starship, no. ;)

Come to think of it, after what he just witnessed, drilling is the last thing Spock should be thinking of...

;)

Seriously though, maybe I'm thinking of the novelization of the movie, I believe (or thought) McCoy made reference to Kirk getting quite a bit of action at the Academy.

Anyway I just watched UP which is pretty much the most uneven film Pixar has made to date. I didn't like the talking dogs at all, not because they were unbelievable (come on, a house is being floated around by balloons) but they just seemed totally incongruous to the overall tone and direction of the movie.

I agree. There was much about it that was just wonderful, but the dogs brought it down to sub-par-Pixar level every time they showed up.

And I'm still uncomfortable with the Spock-Uhura relationship, however watching it again it totally seems like she's into it, but he's not.

That was my impression when I saw it in the theatre.

Well, Marian didn't find a region free Blu-ray player either.

I did. It's on backorder, without a clear shipping date. ;) But I think we were talking about DVDs - and cheap, good, region free DVD players are easy to get these days.

Say, is my love for cinema being questioned here?

Not your love, only what you're prepared to do for it. ;)

Star Trek

Still love it, not much more need be said.

Except this: if there's any legitimacy to what the Academy is doing, this movie has to win the effects Oscar. Not so much for the strict technical quality, though that's great too, but for how thery're used. It's so refreshingly old fashioned. No gratuitous whiz-bang, nothing that goes beyond telling the story, and on top of that some seriously elegant wide shots that are almost art unto themselves. This is how it should be done.

I...agree. The effects in it often came from wonderful concepts. They were very fun to look at, and effective. I think that HPVI is another film from this year that managed to impress with its effects. Not state of the art, but the effects had some depth and emotion put in them.

Saw Werner Herzog's Nosferatu (1979). I realized how little I found compelling in the story, but I did like the sleepy romanticism in it, and there was one shot that was absolutely chilling in how it evoked the original (which I couldn't enjoy because of the terrible print I saw it in).

I...agree. The effects in it often came from wonderful concepts. They were very fun to look at, and effective. I think that HPVI is another film from this year that managed to impress with its effects. Not state of the art, but the effects had some depth and emotion put in them.

The Quidditch effects were the best in the whole series. They made PS/SS look like a low-grade PS1 game.

Star Trek

Still love it, not much more need be said.

I doubt if anything can be said at all.

It is still entertaining film. I mean, I enjoy it. But I hope there will be more Star Trek in Star trek next time. By which I mean real s-f. The space opera approach works for this film, but there needs to some factor which distinguishes it from other space saga. That's why I like TMP or TUC better than TWOK. Not because they are better made or anything like that, but because they actually do something else than usual action films. Which is what TWOK (or the new one) ultimately is.

Karol

That's why I like TMP or TUC better than TWOK. Not because they are better made or anything like that, but because they actually do something else than usual action films. Which is what TWOK (or the new one) ultimately is.

Did you forget that one of the hallmarks of TWOK is terraforming and its inherent dangers? Kirk recognizes its usefulness as a weapon, and must do anything and everything to keep it from falling into the wrong hands. Those wrong hands belong to a madmen bent on revenge. If Khan were to have acquired Genesis and neutralized Kirk and the Enterprise, he certainly would have used it to renew his conquest of Earth; instead, he wasted it on a nebula.

The story features a lot of heart and character drama, to drive the motivations of Kirk and Khan. Sure, TWOK has action -- two big space battles and some phaser zappings -- but its emotional poignancy is not really found in TMP, though it does factor into TUC, the big goodbye to the old cast.

...but there needs to some factor which distinguishes it from other space saga.

There is: the characters. Which is what the movie is all about, the plot is secondary.

Is Star Trek a character driven film? Then they should've given the villain more room to work with.

Alex - who thinks it's just a ride (which will be forgotten in a few years time)

In terms of "forgotten", what exactly do you mean? People remember movies like this, especially when they're this fun, and whether you like it or not.

You don't understand. Maybe you won't forget it but other generations might. It takes more than a "fun" blockbuster to survive the test of time or to become a classic, whether you like it or not. And since the film doesn't spawn more discussion than "I like or I don't like the flares", I truly fear the worst.

Alex

And since the film doesn't spawn more discussion than "I like or I don't like the flares", I truly fear the worst.

Alex

I dare you to read though the designated thread for this particular film. Plenty more was said. It is in many ways a very controversial Trek-film.

In terms of "forgotten", what exactly do you mean? People remember movies like this, especially when they're this fun, and whether you like it or not.

You don't understand. Maybe you won't forget it but other generations might. It takes more than a "fun" blockbuster to survive the test of time or to become a classic, whether you like it or not. And since the film doesn't spawn more discussion than "I like or I don't like the flares", I truly fear the worst.

Alex

I didn't say it would become a classic (I don't think it will), or that it would stand the test of time (I think it might but it's too early to tell). You seem interestingly put out by it, but obviously haven't bothered to read anything about it judging by your discussion comment, which is absolute bullshit.

I too don't think it will become a classic. It certainly lacks the substance for that. It's success lies more in jump-starting a franchise that was pretty much dead.

For the 11th film in a series, that's not half bad.

well, the Rambo films havent....been lost in time....yet.

Well, First Blood is a classic.

Alex

Wouldn't the extension of that logic also mean that Star Trek won't be forgotten any time soon? After all, TWOK is arguably a classic.

No, Star Trek will not be forgotten. Being part of a massive franchise will ensure that. The Bond movies are a testament to this.

And since the film doesn't spawn more discussion than "I like or I don't like the flares", I truly fear the worst.

Alex

I dare you to read though the designated thread for this particular film. Plenty more was said. It is in many ways a very controversial Trek-film.

Oh sure, Trekkies also fought over whether they liked or didn't like Zachary as the new Spock".

It is in many ways a very controversial Trek-film.

No in that many ways, Steef, the controversy was mainly about the revamp aspect.

Why are we debating this in the first place? How can you possibly gauge whether any film made within recent memory is or is not going to be worthy of being considered a "classic?"

In this day and age, it is a waste of time to argue about the hypothetical future value or "test of time" status of any movie, because it is downright impossible to simply "forget" about any movie.

What needs to happen to not be a classic? It's no longer for sale in the premiere video/DVD/BR aisle? Even some of the films relegated to the bargain bin are "classics."

Because it's not shown in AMC or Sci-Fi marathons on TV? It's got the Star Trek film franchise tag on it. Even III, V, VII, XI, and X end up being shown every now and again as part of these marathons. AMC shows recent movies like Top Gun, so don't tell me that in 20 years it would be impossible to show Star Trek 2009.

Granted, the name "Star Trek" alone is not guaranteed to make something classic. Is The Animated Series a classic? Is Star Trek V a classic? Will Enterprise and Nemesis become a classic? All are available for sale, viewing, and open discussion, and most of them have been granted sequels.

Yes indeed. Having new actors play characters previously owned by people who are now far to old to play them, or dead.

Content-wise (story/script) there is little controversial about Star Trek (2009), apart from the fact that they re-used the basic plot from Star Trek II for the third or fourth time.

It is, however thus-far the only summer box office to have a leader member, Moderator even from this MB in it.

That makes it a little special surely, even for you?

It is in many ways a very controversial Trek-film.

No in that many ways, Steef, the controversy was mainly about the revamp aspect.

I don't buy this argument or its defense. "In many ways" is a gray phrase. Stef has not quantified a specific number of ways, but invites us all to re-read the thread to see how many different arguments there were. Likewise, the response "mainly" is also a gray phrase, by admitting that there are other controversies he leaves unnamed, uncounted, and unrecognized.

I think the biggest controversy was whether the movie ought to have been made in the first place, or just let the franchise die a little while longer. Any "controversies" beyond that are just fanboys being nitpicky. You'll see that where any popular comic book, TV, video game, or existing movie franchise leaps to the big screen.

well, the Rambo films havent....been lost in time....yet.

Well, First Blood is a classic.

Alex

Wouldn't the extension of that logic also mean that Star Trek won't be forgotten any time soon? After all, TWOK is arguably a classic.

No, Star Trek will not be forgotten. Being part of a massive franchise will ensure that. The Bond movies are a testament to this.

Of course, Star Trek, the phenomenon won't be forgotten but does that mean every Star Trek movie will be heralded as a classic? Of course not! Rocky is a classic, Rocky 5 is not. People won't forget Rocky but they will forget Rocky 5.

No. People will not forget Rocky 5. They will remember that they don't like it as much as Rocky, and that it was the end of the franchise for less than 20 years, but it will not be "forgotten."

To be forgotten means it will not be shown in reruns. It will not be spoken of in open public. It will not be bundled with all of the other movies in single-disc DVD sets retailing for $20 in the discount aisle of a Burlington Coat Factory.

Rocky 5 will remain the butt of jokes in a franchise that's already received countless jokes. Particularly in reminding Bart Simpson of his Roman numerals:

Think, Bart. Where have you seen Roman numerals before? I know...Rocky V ["vee"]! That was the fifth one. So, Rocky five plus Rocky two equals...Rocky VII! "Adrian's Revenge"!

Now, will elementary kids of the future remember Rocky V? No. Because their parents will not want to show it to them, they will shelter them and protect them from its terrible-ness. But eventually, elementary kids will not remember E.T. either, because their parents will not show that to them either.

Classic is a work of popular culture that inspires devotion or respect is often called a classic.

* Cult classic, a film that has acquired a highly devoted but relatively small group of fans.

* Instant classic, a work of popular culture, particularly popular music, that inspires instant devotion and the belief that it will be considered a classic in the future.

Is it a curse to be branded a "cult classic?" That it implies mainstream society snubs it, but its fans love it regardless? Anything Star Trek is going to be a cult classic in that sense.

Again, I think we're coming from two different places here. I don't think any of us are under any illusions that Star Trek 2.0 is a classic, and while I don't think it's been long enough to judge that by any means, like I said before I don't think it will be. But I don't think it'll be forgotten either.

No. People will not forget Rocky 5.

I think most people already have. Ask the new generation, a decent amount will know about Rocky (the phenomenon but also the movie) but no one won't be able to tell a thing about Rocky 5. Even I don't remember it, and I'm from the Rocky generation.

I think most people already have. Ask the new generation, a decent amount will know about Rocky (the phenomenon but also the movie) but no one won't be able to tell a thing about Rocky 5. Even I don't remember it, and I'm from the Rocky generation.

But then you can ask the new generation about a shitload of great movies and a lot of them will not have heard of them unless A: they're crazy film buffs or B: there's been a recent remake, and it's that they'll be more familiar with. It's impossible to forget something when you don't really have any idea about it in the first place. It's obviously important to define exactly what we're talking about, but from my point of view, the new generation weren't even born when ROCKY V came out, so probably have never borne witness to the majesty of Tommy "Machine" Gunn (RIP).

Classic is a work of popular culture that inspires devotion or respect is often called a classic.

* Cult classic, a film that has acquired a highly devoted but relatively small group of fans.

* Instant classic, a work of popular culture, particularly popular music, that inspires instant devotion and the belief that it will be considered a classic in the future.

I tell you how a classic really survives history. It inspires artists. It lives on in the work of others. It forms minds.

Alex

Star Trek will not be forgotten, but it won't be remembered for a single episode or film, not even TWOK.

I think some here misunderstand what Alex is trying to say about a film being remembered (or forgotten).

I think that's true. I tried to get him to clarify, but no dice.

I've never seen Rocky, or any of the other films, save the cheesy and campy 4th one.

But I know the theme, I know the training montage and the famous scene on the steps etc...etc...

I think that's what Alex means.

Rocky has become something greater then just that particular film. Rocky 5 probably didn't.

Star Trek will not be forgotten, but it won't be remembered for a single episode or film, not even TWOK.

Exactly. The phenomenon will probably live on in our culture for a long time but not so for The Search For Spock.

Rocky became a phenomenon. Its endless line of sequels helped the original movie transcend beyond a simple low-budget indie film parable of a underdog taking on the world. By the time Rocky 5 came along, the franchise had already become a cliche, and it probably shifted the proud franchise firmly into the joke domain. But it will always be a phenomenon, and the original remains the classic. Any kid in any country who runs up and down any set of steps and jumps around like a wacko...Rocky.

Perhaps the same is true of Star Trek. The franchise is a phenomenon on par with that of Rocky, if not grander. People became doctors because of Dr. McCoy, but who became a boxer because of Balboa? The "classic" stature firmly belongs to Shatner and crew, and for now, JJ Abrams' contribution is but a small blip at the end of that lineage. Trek 2009 is no Rocky IV, V, or VI, but it's way too soon to say it will become a classic.

But it's also a generation too early to believe it never will be.

Rocky has become something greater then just that particular film. Rocky 5 probably didn't.

You get it, Steef!

Rocky became a phenomenon. Its endless line of sequels helped the original movie transcend beyond a simple low-budget indie film parable of a underdog taking on the world. By the time Rocky 5 came along, the franchise had already become a cliche, and it probably shifted the proud franchise firmly into the joke domain. But it will always be a phenomenon, and the original remains the classic. Any kid in any country who runs up and down any set of steps and jumps around like a wacko...Rocky.

Perhaps the same is true of Star Trek. The franchise is a phenomenon on par with that of Rocky, if not grander. People became doctors because of Dr. McCoy, but who became a boxer because of Balboa? The "classic" stature firmly belongs to Shatner and crew, and for now, JJ Abrams' contribution is but a small blip at the end of that lineage. Trek 2009 is no Rocky IV, V, or VI, but it's way too soon to say it will become a classic.

But it's also a generation too early to believe it never will be.

Rocky became an instant phenomenon, just like Star Wars. The film was huge! Stallone and his character were all over the place. It was Rocky this and Rocky that. He immediately became a part of our culture. Yes, even today I see parts of Rocky in other movies.

But then you can ask the new generation about a shitload of great movies and a lot of them will not have heard of them unless A: they're crazy film buffs or B: there's been a recent remake, and it's that they'll be more familiar with. It's impossible to forget something when you don't really have any idea about it in the first place. It's obviously important to define exactly what we're talking about, but from my point of view, the new generation weren't even born when ROCKY V came out, so probably have never borne witness to the majesty of Tommy "Machine" Gunn (RIP).

I'm sorry but I think most film fans know their classics, no matter what generation they are from. Okay, perhaps not when they are 18 but eventually they will discover the movies that matter. In fact, there wouldn't be any classics if it wasn't for the film fans.

Alex

You've got good points, Alex, and you're no doubt a fan of great cinema. Me, I just like watching good movies, so when I finally buy Star Trek, I have no plans to ever forget that it's on my shelf. To hell with what the masses do. I don't subscribe to the mentality of sheep.