What Is The Last Film You Watched?

That's what she was trying to do

Perhaps we have a different idea about 'drama', king mark. To me it would be dramatic and believable if the daughter stopped with her athletics and went straight to her beloved daddy on fire. Panic and emotions would make her uncapable of performing kung fu ballet. That's drama.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When a film is good, then one can accept those shifts. Unfortunatly Koray is not a fan of good films.

One shouldn't have to "accept" the shifts, it should all flow together naturally. And are you saying that Kick Ass is a good film?

That's what she was trying to do

Perhaps we have a different idea about 'drama', king mark. To me it would be dramatic and believable if the daughter stopped with her athletics and went straight to her beloved daddy on fire. Panic and emotions would make her uncapable of performing kung fu ballet. That's drama.

You'd have to re-watch the scene. She was getting fired at by a bunch of guys and had to kill all of them to get to her father .The fact that she didn't panic is part of her character

I think that's why the film didn't do so well. It's not a kid's film. Maybe the trailers gave the impression that it was.

By comparison, a lot of these films John Williams scored that were all really into are kid's films. But we all still see them anyways.

Which is the most annoying thing: getting up in arms and protecting the children over a product that's designed strictly for adults. I swear every entertainment law made in the UK is strictly based on the off chance that a child may one day come into contact accidentally with an adult movie, game or magazine. And will immediately become a corrupt and depraved super raper serial killer.

You'd have to re-watch the scene. She was getting fired at by a bunch of guys and had to kill all of them to get to her father .The fact that she didn't panic is part of her character

I know that and I can understand that, but how is that drama or funny or even believable? It's just not very good writing. Nothing could've prepared a child for this over-the-top situation. Stopping with the athletics (we've seen it by now) and running towards the most important person in the world (even if it means she wouldn't make it) would've made, well, more impact on me. Now it was just more of the same, even though the situation was extreme. I mean, there was a reason why Spielberg didn't show us Nazis throwing babies out of the window.

Really? Alex took his 12 year old to a adult movie?????

It's a good movie for teenagers and adults. It brings them more together. ;)

I know that and I can understand that, but how is that drama or funny or even believable? It's just not very good writing. Nothing could've prepared a child for this over-the-top situation.

I think it's because I accepted her character 100% , similar to the way you instantly accept Indiana Jones or Han Solo the minute they walk on screen. She was that good. Then I could accept her ways of reacting to situations.

On the other hand Kick Ass himself is pretty much useless for the entire movie .He can't even drive a car, so I had a hard time accepting that he could learn to fly a jet pack in 5 minutes .

One has to factor in a movie's budget, on such matters.

Edit: Having said that, I've just looked at two conflicting sources which claim the film's budget was 30mil and 70mi, respectively...

I think it's because I accepted her character 100% , similar to the way you instantly accept Indiana Jones or Han Solo the minute they walk on screen. Then her ways of reacting to situations became believable.

On the other hand Kick Ass himself is pretty much useless for the entire movie .He can't even drive a car, so I had a hard time accepting that he could learn to fly a jet pack in 5 minutes .

Okay, so the complete over-the-top situation is completely believable and dramatic but a nerd who's not a real superhero or can't really do kung fu moves is unacceptable to you?

We believe or accept the impossible situations in the Indiana Jones films because they, like a comic book, are never serious. And if they do manage to go way over the edge, we laugh because we think feel it's meant to be funny and impossible. The film Kick-Ass, however, does want to achieve a certain amount of bleak realism which we feel through the eyes of the main character who sees the world and its violence just like the audience does. Here comes the central idea of the movie. What if someone of us puts on a suit and helps out those who need help? Most of what Kick-Ass does is believable because he fails.

Spoiler: The jet pack is meant to be a jolly spectacle, not super drama like a child's father on fire. Kick-Ass is the most 'real' character of the movie.

I meant Kick Ass was totally grounded in reality until that scene (which is still a very cool scene so I'm not really bashing anything). And Hit Girl is more an Indiana Jones type character, but I bought her in that context.

Anyways,lets just agree it's a fun movie with a very few minor nitpicks , unlike certain other movies that have 8 page threads about plot holes.

Kick-ass isn't doing well at the box office? That seems contrary to the reports I've been heard.

I suppose technically you could say it was successful. $30 million budget, $46 million domestically after 30+ days and another $42 million internationally.

I wouldn't call it too much of a box office hit.

I had read the graphic novel and wasn't impressed. Sounds like the film follows it for the most part. The ads for the film are really misleading.

The trailer I saw looked quite promising during the first half and very stupid during the second. However, my sister says the trailer is misleading - and not surprisingly, after all, most are.

I thought the score sucked, and I'm not the biggest fan of Djawadi's. A superhero needs a musical identity. No themes, just your typical generic action scoring.

Which is why Zimmer was wrong for Nolan's Batman.

Say what you want about Debney's Iron Man 2, at least the music sounded like it came from a composer instead of the typical RC recycled drivel.

A trailer I saw made it look like a teenage adventure comedy, like the Percy Jackson And The Lightning Thief.

The R rated trailers are more like it

http://www.hd-trailers.net/blog/2010/02/06/kick-ass-international-red-band-trailer/

And the one with Hit Girl. You get a better feel of what the movie is than the normal theatrical trailer .You also see a bit of what caused some critics to have a mini freak out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8R04nfQ9e0

I thought the score sucked, and I'm not the biggest fan of Djawadi's. A superhero needs a musical identity. No themes, just your typical generic action scoring.

What really bugged me was when I read that Zimmer was actually pushing AGAINST Nolan's original desire to have more melody in the score, and Zimmer was trying to retain the rigid sound for these films, and also was trying to purge some of the elements he found to be too 19th-century/Romantic from the first film when they scored the second! ARRRGGGH!!!!!

What really bugged me was when I read that Zimmer was actually pushing AGAINST Nolan's original desire to have more melody in the score, and Zimmer was trying to retain the rigid sound for these films, and also was trying to purge some of the elements he found to be too 19th-century/Romantic from the first film when they scored the second! ARRRGGGH!!!!!

Well, Batman certainly had a musical identity. It wasn't very melodic but it was recognizable.

Accept this photo of Lyndsy Fonseca in token of my goodwill:

lyndsy.jpg

she is nothing extraordinary, rather unspectacular.

Well to be fair to her, there are relatively very few truly spectacular looking women in the world, so she shouldn't feel to hurt by your approximation.

I wasn't trying to hurt her, I seriously doubt she'll consider the ramblings of a Jwfan poster.

Besides I didn't say she wasn't pretty. She certainly doesn't have that trashiness that Megan Fox has in every photo she takes.

Right now the woman I'd say the prettiest woman on TV would be the woman who plays Anna on V. She is stunningly beautiful at least me and most of my guy friends think so.

I think Joey likes hairy fat guys. And I like Lyndsy better than the V chick

And the pics are too big for the MB

Edit :They also can be a bit bigger than that alex

Yes, people need to start thumbnailing pictures like those in these threads, please.

I wasn't trying to hurt her, I seriously doubt she'll consider the ramblings of a Jwfan poster.

You read me wrong - I was actually agreeing with you, I too was being a bit of a 'bitch', as queer folk and certain women, would have it.

I haven't seen Lyndsy Fonseca in anything except Y&R, and that was years ago, so it's hard for me to imagine her as a movie star.

Yes, people need to start thumbnailing pictures like those in these threads, please.

How?

Just saw Kick-Ass, which was a very smart, very well done movie. The mish-mash of contrasting tones gelled superbly well together - the pic fleeting between moments of light teenage comedy; to dark stylised violence, with lashings of black comedy holding it all together throughout - parts of the [brutal] violence were downright (and intentionally) hilarious, and more than a little bit cool. The young actress who played Mindy was astonishingly good and I hope to see her in more movies in the future. As for the first person shootout sequence, I honestly don't understand the confusion: it wasn't meant to be either serious or jokey - no; it was both and it was cool. A cool moment in a very cool scene. It worked brilliantly, against the sad things happening elsewhere in the scene, as did the long slo-mo strobe shot. Cool for cool's sake is acceptable, you know... do things always have to be one thing or another, so black and white? Not every moment in a movie needs to have a deeper purpose, or symbolic reason for being. The only problems I had with the movie were pacing, in that parts of it felt a tad slack, but the last half made up for it, when everything kicked up a gear - violence, comedy and expectation colliding together effortlessly, indeed the light and dark in this movie worked tremendously well. 4 out of 5 Stars from me.

Quick word about the soundtrack too, which was excellent. A mixture of old and new songs, some sourced from older movies, as well as a sharp original score, I'll be getting hold of it. It was all very well executed and memorable, I'm sure you will all disagree.

I think Joey likes hairy fat guys. And I like Lyndsy better than the V chick

And the pics are too big for the MB

Edit :They also can be a bit bigger than that alex

Greg Grunberg could be my personal play toy any day but I have never had a problem appreciating the beauty of a fine looking woman.

I like the girl next door look too, like Allson Mack, but for awhile there Battlestar Galactic had the best collection of sexy looking woman from sultry cougar Madam President to the uber hot Boomer.

I like Boomer. She was even hotter in The Cleaner

It was all very well executed and memorable, I'm sure you will all disagree.

The score is great.I listened to it about 3 times . Although I feel like adding the Banana Splits song in there where it fits

As for the first person shootout sequence, I honestly don't understand the confusion: it wasn't meant to be either serious or jokey - no; it was both and it was cool. A cool moment in a very cool scene. It worked brilliantly, against the sad things happening elsewhere in the scene, as did the long slo-mo strobe shot. Cool for cool's sake is acceptable, you know... do things always have to be one thing or another, so black and white?

Well I agree with you 100% on that scene. It was epic and moving at the same time. It seems Alex got it a different way

KM liking a RCP score?!

no,it doesn't sound like RCP at all .It's very thematic .It has electronics but well adapted

The young actress who played Mindy was astonishingly good and I hope to see her in more movies in the future.

Yes . There was something quite special about that performance .

KM liking a RCP score?!

no,it doesn't sound like RCP at all .It's very thematic .It has electronics but well adapted

Well Henry Jackman is one of the 5 composers, so it is at least partially RCP :P