What Is The Last Film You Watched?

Blum, the only thing I can summise from your comments above regarding what you think I wanted from the dreams in Inception is that you must have dreams just as balls to the wall boring as Nolan. Yes, I admit: my own personal dreams don't usually involve fellas in finely tailored suits walking around stark city streets, in the rain. I can't remember either the last time I dreamt that the entire stunt cast of Lethal Weapon 3 chased me down in a van.

It sounds like you're faulting the design instead of the story, since they explain that they can't make the dream worlds crazy otherwise the mark will realize it's a dream.

Yeah I noticed that and immediately thought cop-out: a cheap and largely effective way of explaining why the dreams in the movie come off as mundane day to day hyper-reality; instead of the seriously outlandish incoherence of real dreams. Interestingly, it proves that even dreams are subjective: have you never had the most ridiculously fantastic dream and not for an instant whilst in the thick of it questioned its reality? Have you not been completely lulled it believing the utterly ridiculous was utterly real? Just for the night...

It could've been a heck of a lot more fascinating if Nolan had wielded the true face of real human dreams and somehow weaved the plot into the weird and wonderful dreamstate of the human mind. But instead we just got cool dudes in suits and car chases. ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzz

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The dreams I think could have been more outlandish when you already have such outlandish concepts as zero-g and collapsing worlds when your body falls, or people in the dreams attacking you when they realize you're invading or manipulating the dream world. They're dreams. Though, to be honest, what dreams I can remember have never been as cool as things I can imagine. I agree that guys in suits in rain with guns was a bit disappointing. That reeked of The Matrix between the fancy outfits, the "if you're killed in the dream world, this happens to you" design and of course, the attacking projections = agents.

Exactly. Reading some of the defense to this movie's plot devices almost makes me feel guilty for expecting something new, something different - from The Matrix.

The Matrix was the real deal, compared to Inception.

I'm glad I saw Inception before I read this discussion. For those of you who haven't seen it, let me balance the scales a little bit.

Inception was incredible - I was already intrigued by the premise when I saw the first previews months ago, but the execution was even better than what I imagined. It felt long but not boring - I was on the edge of my seat with my jaw on the floor for the full 2 1/2 hours. I have never been a fan of Leo but I think he did an excellent job - even better than Shutter Island (which I thought was good but too predictable). The rest of the cast was great as well - especially Ellen Page and Joseph Gordon-Levitt. The effects were mind-boggling and seamlessly incorporated into the live action - I've read that Nolan avoided CGI but I don't think this movie could have been made even five years ago. I was immersed in the alternate reality of the movie for the entire time. Far from considering walking out, I forgot I was even in a theater.

The plot was intellectual and clever - it's not like The Sixth Sense, where there's one big kicker at the end. It has a coherent plot with a definite narrative, but there are multiple twists and ample opportunity for head scratching. It's kind of like Ocean's 11 if it occurred in The Matrix with the form of Mission: Impossible. It had a greater impact on me than any of those movies and I'm itching to see it again so I can comprehend what I saw.

In short, the average person (as opposed to a trained critic) can go into this movie with hyped expectations and still be blown away. I would be surprised if the film was not nominated in at least 3 categories for the Oscars (actors, effects, screenplay come to mind). I think it deserves to be in the Top 10 for Best Picture (especially if Avatar could make it last year - which was a blockbuster as well), but obviously many will disagree.

Blum, the only thing I can summise from your comments above regarding what you think I wanted from the dreams in Inception is that you must have dreams just as balls to the wall boring as Nolan. Yes, I admit: my own personal dreams don't usually involve fellas in finely tailored suits walking around stark city streets, in the rain. I can't remember either the last time I dreamt that the entire stunt cast of Lethal Weapon 3 chased me down in a van.

It sounds like you're faulting the design instead of the story, since they explain that they can't make the dream worlds crazy otherwise the mark will realize it's a dream. It seems like it's different strokes for different folks, though.

I don't remember that in the film. In fact, I seem to remember Leo saying something entirely different, something about how strange things in dreams don't seem strange until you wake up.

It sounds like you're faulting the design instead of the story, since they explain that they can't make the dream worlds crazy otherwise the mark will realize it's a dream. It seems like it's different strokes for different folks, though.

I don't remember that in the film. In fact, I seem to remember Leo saying something entirely different, something about how strange things in dreams don't seem strange until you wake up.

QuestionMarkMan is right - aside from being explicitly stated by one of the characters, a key internal law in the film is that the dream world needs to be relatively normal so the projections don't react like "white blood cells." But you're also right about Leo's line, but both apply in different ways. And I didn't feel like it was a copout - every fantasy world needs its own set of rules to keep us anchored.

Hitchcock double feature: I Confess (first time) and Strangers on a Train (seen before). The former was quite good, and quite different than what I was expecting. A real spiritual weight to it, striking noir cinematography, a far more contemplative performance from Clift than we usually see in Hitch's films. Terrific stuff. The second film is one of my favorites, a delight. Tiomkin's score is superb, particularly for the sequence intercutting between the tennis match and the lighter, and Granger's rushing to the train station. It get huge and epic and baroque in the most marvelous and unexpected way.

Terminator Salvation.

I watched this with no expectations considering how everyone seemed to hate it. It wasn't bad, although I think McG's vision of the post-Judgment Day future is a little more glossy and strangely less-depressing than Cameron and Mostow's bleak presentation. Christian Bale was a bit flat, anyone could have played his role - if only he played it more like his angry tirade on the set. I liked Sam Worthington here more than Avatar, and Helena Bumcrack Carter was creepy as a Terminator viewscreen.

Nolan is a highly literal-minded filmmaker, and his depiction of dreams reflects that. He makes no attempt to capture a dreamlike atmosphere or aesthetic, and if he does, that is undoubtedly the film’s greatest failure. His approach to dreams is to literalize them as a hard reality, and the end result is one that feels less like a dream and more like a computer program or a level of a video game.

For the most part, reality in Inception is altered more by how the sleeping bodies of those dreaming are being affected than by anything conjured up in the dream world. While I admire Nolan for steering away from the fantastical and playing Inception as straight sci-fi, others may find the dreams to be awfully bland and wish he had been a bit more capricious. It’s arguable that this exposes a flaw in Nolan’s filmmaking style, which had previously only benefited him—his technique is workmanlike and analytical, always detail-oriented and generally reliant on a staid setting. Even when he’s afforded limitless opportunities to break from reality, he only rarely indulges those whims. (This could also be deemed a positive though, as someone like myself would not have been able to resist the urge to introduce velociraptors into the mix.)

from this review

Hmm, interesting, but I think this next bit is even more helpful for me:

Critic A.O. Scott of the New York Times says of Inception:

Admirers of Ridley Scott’s “Blade Runner” and Stanley Kubrick’s “2001” will find themselves in good company, though “Inception” does not come close to matching the impact of those durable cult objects. It trades in crafty puzzles rather than profound mysteries, and gestures in the direction of mighty philosophical questions that Mr. Nolan is finally too tactful, too timid or perhaps just too busy to engage.

Full review here

I have no problems with others disliking this film, but do I have the feeling these negative reviews are only panning the film because so many people like it? It feels like they react more to the general reaction than to the movie itself. I don't see how it is really relevant to criticize summer action movie with some substance for being a summer action movie. It was never presented as anything else really. Nolan never said it is his 2001 or Blade Runner. It has nothing to do with those. He said it is his Bond. That's a huge difference.

There is also the other camp saying the movie is too mundane-looking for its concept. Well, the reason why the dreams look like they look in the film is clearly explained. I just don't see the problem here.

Karol

He said it is his Bond. That's a huge difference.

Yes, I will remember that when I go see it. I know that it's what Nolan said but the rest of the world seems to treat it as the next coming of Christ.

I don't understand why they react like that. I liked the film very much, but this is a bit... much. You can almost understand why some people are disappointed.

I want to come out of the cinema and say wow,that was cool, I want to see it again.

Does Inception do that?

I went to see it again on the same day. But I doubt you will like it as much, KM. It's a Christopher Nolan film. If you like those, you will like this one.

Karol

I want to come out of the cinema and say wow,that was cool, I want to see it again.

Does Inception do that?

Yes, but does it matter? We all know you're going to see it anyway. :lol:

Like croc said, if you liked The Dark Knight or The Prestige, you will like this film.

Yes. I guess you might not like it. It's like The Dark Knight in this regard. Dense script, with lots of information. Yes, it is over-stuffed. But at the same time you have to aknowledge it's nice to see a summer film where the script is the most fun thing about it and the greatest attraction. It's rare enough to be happy.

Karol

What do you mean by dense? I don't understand where people are being confused and "mind blown," guess they're just stupid. The beginning is a little confusing, but once you know what's going on it's really simple to follow along. I just wasn't expecting to be so emotionally involved.

In the final shot with the totem spinning, I genuinely wanted it to fall over. Like really badly, but when it falters and then cuts. Perfection.

In the final shot with the totem spinning, I genuinely wanted it to fall over. Like really badly, but when it falters and then cuts. Perfection.

:lol:

For most people it is dense. Believe me. People don't like to pay attention, especially while watching an action film.

Karol

It's not a matter of paying attention. I didn't undertand most of the plot in the A-Team because the film was badly made. Even if a film is complex ,if it is well made you'll understand what's going on. If you have listen to a 10 minute plot exposition speech by a character and you miss one sentence and because of that you don't understand the next 20 minutes of the film then the film is badly made. That's what I reproach to The Dark Knight.

What do you mean by dense? I don't understand where people are being confused and "mind blown," guess they're just stupid. The beginning is a little confusing, but once you know what's going on it's really simple to follow along. I just wasn't expecting to be so emotionally involved.

I think there are a lot more layers to the film than first meets the eye. In the initial viewing, I agree it is fairly straightforward and easy to follow. But then after it's over you're forced to rethink everything you saw. I just spent some time reading a message board discussing the film and there were dozens of issues brought up that I hadn't even thought of. I think it's genius when anyone can make so many people talk about something as trivial as a movie in such depth - and no one seems to agree on anything. I love it.

I think there are a lot more layers to the film than first meets the eye. In the initial viewing, I agree it is fairly straightforward and easy to follow. But then after it's over you're forced to rethink everything you saw. I just spent some time reading a message board discussing the film and there were dozens of issues brought up that I hadn't even thought of. I think it's genius when anyone can make so many people talk about something as trivial as a movie in such depth - and no one seems to agree on anything. I love it.

That's one of the reasons why I loved Shutter Island. The experience extended well past the film itself (I'm still arguing with my dad about what exactly the ending meant).

Does Inception do that?

Yes, but does it matter? We all know you're going to see it anyway. :lol:

Like croc said, if you liked The Dark Knight or The Prestige, you will like this film.

My thoughts about TDK are all over this site, and all of them are negative in the extreme, but I was very impressed with "The Prestige". As for "Inception": I now live almost sixty miles from a cinema, so I'll have to wait until it comes on to dvd, which, I am sure, will soften its impact, somewhat.

P.s., I also like "Memento".

I still haven't seen the The Prestige, but I loved The Dark Knight. With Inception, I tried something new: I avoided (successfully) ALL media and hype that might have surrounded it - pre-release. Upon it's release, apart from the mostly positive reviews (none of which I read) and a conversation with Claire on the way to actually see it in which she told me it is about "dream stealing", I knew absolutely nothing about Inception. I'd seen the poster, I new it had one of my favourite young leading men in it and that it was directed by an ultra smart visionary and upcoming genius of cinema. Heck, I hadn't even watched the trailer. Frankly, I'm amazed I was able to pull it off, because I'm normally a sucker for hype.

So why did I do it this way? Because I'm sick of hype and I'm sick of being hugely disappointed. So yeah, I guess I should be happy that I at least avoided the hype.

I'm pleased that so many of you guys enjoyed this film and I hope you all continue to do so. Honestly, I'm not posting my negative thoughts on it just to be a stick in the mud or to piss people off; it's just healthy debate, that's all, so please: don't be condescending morons and assume that only the chavs and brainless sheep of this world would fail to like a movie like Inception, because that is the cheapest self serving form of film critique in the world.

Oh and I'd just like to point out that until I'd read this thread I had absolutely no idea that this movie was being compared to the likes of Blade Runner and holy shit! 2001: A Space Odyssey?!!! LOL! Inception is not that calibre of movie. It'll be largely forgotton about in five years time, unlike the classics just mentioned.

I was just like you, Quint. I knew relatively nothing about this film. Saw the first teaser, and I think one of the trailers, but that's it. Barely knew a thing, hell I even thought Joseph Gordon-Levitt was a bad guy before going in. But that's why I think I loved it so much, I didn't know what to expect. I'm not saying it's ultra intelligent and complex, because it's not. A lot of people, i.e. casual moviegoers, are saying it's a confusing mind fuck that requires multiple viewings. I don't think it's that extreme. I think it's a very intriguing movie with a unique script that will keep you on the edge of your seat for 2 and a half hours. Will it stand the test of time with the likes of Blade Runner and 2001? We'll have to wait and see, but I personally think it's the best film to hit the silver screen in a long time.

If one goes in expecting Transformers then I suppose it's possible to find it a bit confusing, but it's amazing really how straightforward the story is and I admit that Nolan deserves kudos for that - his movies are always brilliantly detailed and well thought out or "dense", yet perfectly followable, which can only be a good thing. Seriously, back in the day I thought Total Recall was more of a mind fuck than this.

So Inception is the movie where they have ten hours to enter someone's mind and get back out again.

How long before somebody makes the sequel spoof....Conception. Ten minutes to enter a woman's... :)

What if I liked the Dark Knight but hated the Prestige? lol

Then ask yourself if you like Bond.

BTW, I like The Prestige very much. I like it for the portrayed duel between two very obsessive men and the inclusion of the enigmatic Nikola Tesla. But most of all, I think I liked it because it didn't remind me of Bond.

I still haven't seen the The Prestige, but I loved The Dark Knight. With Inception, I tried something new: I avoided (successfully) ALL media and hype that might have surrounded it - pre-release. Upon it's release, apart from the mostly positive reviews (none of which I read) and a conversation with Claire on the way to actually see it in which she told me it is about "dream stealing", I knew absolutely nothing about Inception. I'd seen the poster, I new it had one of my favourite young leading men in it and that it was directed by an ultra smart visionary and upcoming genius of cinema. Heck, I hadn't even watched the trailer. Frankly, I'm amazed I was able to pull it off, because I'm normally a sucker for hype.

So why did I do it this way? Because I'm sick of hype and I'm sick of being hugely disappointed. So yeah, I guess I should be happy that I at least avoided the hype.

I'm pleased that so many of you guys enjoyed this film and I hope you all continue to do so. Honestly, I'm not posting my negative thoughts on it just to be a stick in the mud or to piss people off; it's just healthy debate, that's all, so please: don't be condescending morons and assume that only the chavs and brainless sheep of this world would fail to like a movie like Inception, because that is the cheapest self serving form of film critique in the world.

Oh and I'd just like to point out that until I'd read this thread I had absolutely no idea that this movie was being compared to the likes of Blade Runner and holy shit! 2001: A Space Odyssey?!!! LOL! Inception is not that calibre of movie. It'll be largely forgotton about in five years time, unlike the classics just mentioned.

Blade Runner? A classic?! Let's not forget that, on its initial release, it was destroyed by critics, ignored by the public, and barely made back its $30 million budget costs. There were, of course, those who just "locked into" B.R. who saw it when it first came out - myself included (on its first Saturday, in the West End, at the A.B.C. Shaftesbury Avenue, in 70mm/6-track magnetic stereo, if you must know). True, "Inception" looks unlikley to become a "classic" in the true sense of the word (dvd, and cable T.V. will see to that) but in a post-cinema world, what film does?

Blade Runner? A classic?! Let's not forget that, on its initial release, it was destroyed by critics, ignored by the public, and barely made back its $30 million budget costs. There were, of course, those who just "locked into" B.R. who saw it when it first came out - myself included (on its first Saturday, in the West End, at the A.B.C. Shaftesbury Avenue, in 70mm/6-track magnetic stereo, if you must know). True, "Inception" looks unlikley to become a "classic" in the true sense of the word (dvd, and cable T.V. will see to that) but in a post-cinema world, what film does?

This time (with Inception) it's the normal process. At first, it's brilliant! Then after a few years, it will be forgotten.

It ... has ... no ... staying power.

Its images, its attitude will not become a part of our pop culture.

Alex

What if I liked the Dark Knight but hated the Prestige? lol

Yeah I know you absolutely despise it, but it's very Nolan. I'm going to go ahead predict that Inception will sweep, nominations wise, at the Oscars next year. Best Picture, Best Director, Original Screenplay, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing, Visual Effects, Cinematography, Art Direction, and Best Supporting Actor (Joseph Gordon-Levitt). I'm almost positive with those, but I think it may also get Costume Design, Editing, and Original Score if there's nothing else this year that can give it a good run for its money in those last three departments.

OK, I had to re-read to notice that you said "nominations-wise". I thought you were predicting it winning all those at first

I don't think anyone can argue that The Matrix is a great movie. One of the best moments in cinema really.

Inception is not.

Oh I disagree, I think the Matrix is an extremely overrated film, however it is a better film than Inception.

I'm staggered that people are calling this a masterpiece. Have they ever seen a film that is an actual masterpiece? I wonder because Inception is far from a masterpiece. It's cold and antiseptic.

I've liked only TDK, and disliked every other film Nolan has directed.

If one goes in expecting Transformers then I suppose it's possible to find it a bit confusing, but it's amazing really how straightforward the story is and I admit that Nolan deserves kudos for that - his movies are always brilliantly detailed and well thought out or "dense", yet perfectly followable, which can only be a good thing. Seriously, back in the day I thought Total Recall was more of a mind fuck than this.

Indeed. I think this film probably deserves an Oscar for editing, just on the basis that it wasn't too difficult to understand what was going on, and there were like 5 different worlds all occuring at the same time.

I don't think Inception is a masterpiece, but I think it's a very good movie.

I tried to watch The Matrix once, and I hated it. Horrible acting, cheesy dialogue...I turned it off about 40 minutes in. It was just boring.

Its images, its attitude will not become a part of our pop culture.

If you were to think about 2001: A Space Odyssey or Blade Runner or even E.T. I know which images would flash through your mind and it would be instant. By contrast, Inception doesn't have memorable imagery now - today; so it hasn't a cat's chance in hell of being memorable, no, iconic... in twenty years time.

Moving on, I just got back from Toy Story 3. It didn't disappoint, it was brilliant. The climatic sequence in the incinerator is a contender for scene of year. The score was very good too. Thank god for the ever reliable Pixar - coming up with the goods yet again. They eat hype and expectation for breakfast.

I have no problems with others disliking this film, but do I have the feeling these negative reviews are only panning the film because so many people like it? It feels like they react more to the general reaction than to the movie itself.

Wait, what? No offense, but it sounds more like you do have a problem with negative reaction to the movie. You liked it plenty, but someone else finding flaws in it or not enjoying themselves does not = the end of your world. I can assure you we're not going against any sort of general reaction because it's hip or with some other motive. I generally enjoyed myself, but it's perfectly fine if other people didn't. I feel like Nolan fans cling to his films for dear life and if someone has the balls to say they didn't like the 40 mins. JGL was floating around and all this bullshit happened on a ski slope, suddenly they have some kind of motive or are just plain stupid. See: Koray's comment about people not exactly understanding certain aspects of the movie. Well, they MUST be stupid! Nolan's films seem to infect viewers with pretentiousness. I feel like I'm one of the few that's immune. Come on, guys. Let's just all hope Nolan NEVER directs a real Bond film. I think the universe would actually collapse from fanboy wars.

And in regards to Blade Runner, it may not be your bag of chips (hell, it's not quite mine), but that thing is a regular staple of "greatest of all time" lists. It may have been a catastrophe when it originally opened, but that doesn't matter. Time is the only true judge. The Searchers, for instance, was not a major commercial success and critical reviews were apparently mixed when it originally opened. A few decades later and it's clearly one of the all-time greats. We have no clue how history will regard Inception.

I think there is a certain subgenre of films which dumb ppl like to appear smart, unfortunately this can for me, detract from the movie despite its own merits. Especially if its a movie I've heard so much about.

The awful action was by far the worst aspect of the movie. It's a shame the producers felt the need to force so much of it in there; or was it really just Nolan himself conforming? Not to the demands of his benefactors, but to his own preconceptions of what he believes audiences expect to see.

I still don't get the need for the explosion in the On Her Majesty's Secret Service place, or why they weren't floating there. But whatever. I must be a damn fool.

The explosion had to happen in order to get the "kick." The bottom of that fort was destroyed so everybody on the top of it started free falling.

I saw it again today, and loved it even more. One thing I picked up on,

we never see Cobb going through the kicks, he just wakes up on the plane with everyone already awake. So it is actually more likely that he fell into limbo and was dreaming at the end.